Here is how you can spot and fix QuickBooks Error -6000 and others
QuickBooks has contributed and continues to contribute to the growth of hundreds of thousands of companies all around the globe. The main goal of this accounting software is to help small and mid-sized business owners handle multiple tasks, including bookkeeping, tax preparations, and creating invoices with ease. Though it’s compelling, modern software – it sometimes receives some errors and glitches that need our immediate attention. QuickBooks Error Code 6000 is one of the common errors that many QB users receive. This error may prevent access to your company files and bring work to a standstill.
If you are facing any such error, then this post can be a boon for you. Moreover, you can also get in touch with our QuickBooks error support team via our toll-free number i.e. 1-800-761-1787. We are a hub of technocrats, who work round the clock to provide the best possible support services round the clock. Thus, do not hesitate in calling us anytime, as our team will be happy to help you!
You may also read: How to Fix QuickBooks error 3371: Status code 11118?
When does QuickBooks Error 6000 appears?
This error generally pops up when you try to open a company file. An error message box will show up on your computer screen notifying you of the error. It may prevent you from gaining access to your company file. You can read on this blog post to learn about some of the most dependable ways to fix QuickBooks Error 6000.
What are some of the most popular errors in QuickBooks Error code 6000 series?
Following are different-different types of -6000 series errors of QuickBooks desktop that you may face while opening a company file:
|-6000 Series Errors||Possible Causes|
|-6176, 0||Firewall is blocking the connection between the two computers|
|-6000, -107||The .TLG file is corrupted|
|-6000, -1076||QuickBooks installation is corrupted|
|-6010, -100||A system other than the server is hosting the company file|
|-6012, -1061||Incorrect network setup|
|-6129, -101||Folder permission not granted or the QuickBooks Database Server Manager is not working appropriately|
|-6190, 816||Another user is logged in to the company file in single user mode.It can also be a mismatch between the transaction log file (.tlg) and the company file (.qbw)|
|-6000, -832||This error normally occurs when hosting is turned on or the .ND file is not working properly|
|-6144, -304||When you start QuickBooks or open your company file and sometimes this happens on a sample file|
|-6000, -305||Incorrect network setup or it could be that the company file is damaged|
|-6073, -816||Multiple computers are hosting the file or it could be firewall settings are blocking the connection or it could be the file is damaged|
|-6144,-103||The .ND file has an incorrect path to your company file or if the Windows user account used by QuickBooks Database Manager is damaged|
|-6120, 0||One of the work stations is hosting the company file or the firewall port 8019 is blocked|
|-6087, 0||This error occurs when opening the file locally|
|-6147, 0||You receive this error when you open the company file or restore a company backup (.QBB)|
Symptoms of QuickBooks Error Code 6000
It’s quite easy to spot QuickBooks Error code 6000 as you receive an error message on your screen that tells you about the error. However, here are some more signs of this common error that you should know:
- Your computer crashes frequently with QuickBooks error -6000
- You receive an error message:
Error -6000 occurred, when opening a company file. We are sorry for the inconvenience.
- Your computer gets slow and inputs via mouse and keyboard respond late
- Your system or QuickBooks keeps freezing again and again.
Reasons behind QuickBooks Error code 6000
There are a plenty of factors causing the issue, out of which the most common ones are listed below. Let us check out the causes of the issue one by one:
- Your system firewall or antivirus is preventing the internet connection.
- QuickBooks file is damaged
- QuickBooks installation wasn’t done properly or is incomplete.
- Incorrectly configured network connection
- Corrupt or damaged company file.
- Also, in case the .TLG file is corrupted
- This sort of error could also be seen when the user tries to restore the previous backup of the files
Important Points to do before troubleshooting
You can follow these quick methods to fix -6000, XXXX error:
Solutions of QuickBooks Error Code 6000, when opening a company file
If you have received the QuickBooks Error code 6000, just follow the troubleshooting steps further in this post and you will be able to get rid of it.
Condition 1: You are opening the file locally
This error may appear if you try to open the company file locally. Read on to know how you can fix this condition.
Solution 1: Restore a file backup
If the company file doesn’t open even after moving it to a different location, you can try restoring a backup file copy and see if the issue is with the current .QBW company file.
In case you face an error while restoring the company file, you can follow the given steps:
- Stop multi-user hosting
- Go to the company file
- Click on the File menu and select Utilities
- If you see Stop Hosting Multi-User Access listed, click on the icon to open the Window and press Yes.
- The path to your company file must not exceed 210 characters
- Go to company file
- Click on the address bar and copy the path
- Paste the same on your notepad and check the total characters including the spaces
- Try restoring the company file again.
Solution 2: Rename the .ND and .TLG file
These two files are vital parts of the QuickBooks company file. Also known as setup files, they allow QB users access to the company file in a network as well as QuickBooks’s multi-user mode. In a situation where either one or both the files are damaged, you may face issues while opening the company file.
You can consider changing the file’s name as it would have no impact on the data. These files are created again when you use the QuickBooks database server manager tool as well as open the company file.
- Go to the folder that has QuickBooks file stored.
- Locate the file with extensions .ND and .TLG.
- Do a right-click on all files and select Rename. Include “OLD” towards the end of the files.
- Go back and open QuickBooks accounting software again and try to open your company file.
Solution 3: Try opening a sample company file
You can consider opening a sample file as it will let you find the potential cause of the error with your QB file. If the sample file too gets closed and shows an error that denotes the issue is with the QuickBooks installation and needs troubleshooting.
If the above-mentioned solutions don’t fix the QuickBooks Error 6000 for you, it means that you are opening the file stored on the server or a different compute system. Try the following solution to fix this condition.
Condition 2: User is opening up the file over the network
Another condition that comes here is, the user will be opening up the file over the network. It means that the user is opening the company file saved on the web browser or another system.
Solution 1: Try opening QuickBooks company file locally
This solution lets you find out if the error is with the location of the file. If you are able to open the file, it means either the file is damaged or it’s located somewhere that it is facing restriction with the system path. You can try changing its location.
- Go to the folder that has the file stored
- Find the .QBW extension file
- Click on it and copy (Ctrl+C keys)
- Paste the file on the desktop (Ctrl+V keys)
- Now, hold the control key (Ctrl) down and open QuickBooks
- Once you are on No Company Open window.
- Select Open or restore an existing file and find the QB company file you copied on the desktop.
If the issue persists, move on to the next solution.
Read this also: Steps to troubleshoot QuickBooks error 1935
Solution 2: Check if Hosting is showing activated on all computers
- Press F2 on the keyboard to open product info window
- Find the details of Local Web Server and ensure to keep hosting on.
Solution 3: Change the names of the .ND and .TLG files and restart the Database server manager
The .ND and .TLG files are a part of QuickBooks files. These files are basically configured files that permit QuickBooks to access a company file in the network or multi-user mode.
In case these files are damaged or harmed, the user will certainly run into the issues like error 6000 while opening your QB files. The user might not lose the QuickBooks data, in case he/she tries to rename the data. These files recreated immediately, when the user rescans using the QuickBooks database server manager tool, as well as when opening the company file. Database server manager holds your company files. You can restart it and re-scan company files after renaming .ND and .TLG files.
- The very first step is to open the folder that contains the company file
- And then, look for the files with the exact same file name as the company files yet the extensions .ND and .TLG files
- After that, right click on each of the file
- Followed by selecting the rename option
- And also, add the word OLD at the end of each of the file name
The database server manager is used to hold the company files. It is recommended to restart the database server manager and re-scan the QuickBooks files after renaming the .ND and .TLG files
- The very first step is to restart the QuickBooks database server manager tool and then re-scan the company file
- After that, click on the start tab=>”All Programs“=>”QuickBooks” icon=> “QuickBooks database server manager” tool icon
- The next step is to hit the scan folder tab
- And also, click on the add folder tab. Or the user can highlight the folder with the data, and then press the check tab
- Also, verify that the company files concerned show in the bottom box with heading QuickBooks company files located
- And then, try to open the file once again
- End the process, by opening the QuickBooks once again and then try to login the company file
Similar article: Fixation of QuickBooks unable to create PDF error
Solution 4: Check if you can open a sample company file
This step will help you find if the issue is with the company file or the accounting software. If you receive the same or similar error while opening the sample file, it means your QB accounting software is not installed properly and you will have to fix the installation.
- Go to No Company Open window, click on Select a Sample File tab and open the Sample Company File list.
- If the sample file opens successfully, move on to the next solution. In case the sample file returns the very same warning error message, fix the QuickBooks installation.
Solution 5: Close all running QuickBooks related tasks
In order to fix the QuickBooks error code 6000, the user can close all the running tabs. The steps involved in this process are as follows:
- The very initial step is to sign in the system as Administrator on the server
- After that, press Ctrl+Alt+Delete keys together and open Task Manager
- Once done with that, the user needs to show processes for all users by opting the User tab to see all active processes
- Now, the user needs to highlight all the QuickBooks related processes in the list (QBW32.EXE, qbupdate.exe, and also QBDBMgr.exe) and click End Task
- Towards the end of this step, the user needs to switch to multi-user mode and try to open the company file.
Solution 6: Check the system firewall program ports and antivirus software
Sometimes, the firewall or the security software may block connection allowing access to QuickBooks files and programs. You can consider configuring your firewall ports as well establish and exemption to your security software.
Solution 7: Switch to UNC path from a mapped device
This is the last method that user can opt for in order to get rid of the error. This method involves the use of UNC path instead of a mapped device. The steps to be followed are:
- The very first step is to right click on the QuickBooks icon to launch the software.
- After that, the user needs to press the Ctrl key on the keyboard to run the software as an admin.
- The next step is to hold the CTRL key pressed till you see the No Company Open Window on your computer screen
- Moving ahead, the user needs to navigate to the File menu and click on Restore Company.
- The next step is to select Open a company file and press Next
- Now, click on Network tab and go to the location of your company file
- If you are unable to find the folder, then check the set folders permission
- After spotting the company file, press Open and then end the process.
You may also read: How to Fix Overflow Error in QuickBooks Desktop?
With this we come to the end of this article. We hope that you find this blog post helpful in fixing the QuickBooks Error 6000. If the issue persists, or you need any assistance in performing any of the technical actions – call our 24×7 QuickBooks support. You can simply ring up at our toll-free number i.e. 1-800-761-1787, and our experts and certified accounting professionals will be happy to help you!
Other helpful articles: