Learn how to set up a multi-user network on your QuickBooks desktop so you can access your company files:
QuickBooks is regarded as one of the finest accounting software that assists you in managing all your accounting activities seamlessly. It is integrated with innumerable features which attest to its paramountcy. One of such features is the multi-user Network, which not only boosts productivity, but also lets multiple users to access and manage a file at the same time that too on the same network. To know more about how to set up multi-user network in QuickBooks desktop, make sure that you go through this article till the very end.
Moreover, you may also reach out to our accounting professionals and let them know your queries to set up multi user network in QuickBooks desktop. Consult our professionals by means of our support line i.e. 1-800-761-1787, and our QuickBooks desktop support team will be there as your assistance.
You might also like: Set up firewall and security settings for QuickBooks Desktop
What is multi-user network in QuickBooks desktop?
Before you get acquainted with the process to set up multi user network in QuickBooks desktop, it is pertinent to that you first get familiarized with it. Multi-user mode allows many people to work on the same company file simultaneously. This feature saves a lot of time and makes things quick and easy. If you own a huge firm comprising of a large number of employees, then multi-user mode option can be really beneficial for you. However, it should be noted that in order to set-up multi-user network in QuickBooks, you need to own a separate licensed copy of QuickBooks installed in the system.
Basic requirements to set up multi user network
- It is advisable to installed up users for the company file before switching to multi-user network.
- Examine the windows file permissions by logging in as an admin.
- Another important thing is to verify the QuickBooks database server manager, and turn it on.
Quick facts to setup multi-user network
QuickBooks allows you to gain access to the data file all over the network. However, each user will need to install the software separately. Different accounts are provided different access like:
- QuickBooks enterprise solution is permitted a height of 30 users to access the file together.
- The limit is a maximum of 5 users in QuickBooks Premier.
- While as the number even lowers down to maximum of 3 in QuickBooks Pro.
Steps to setup multi-user network in QuickBooks desktop
This section entails effective steps that you can implement in order to setup multi-user network in QuickBooks.
Step 1: Downloading and installing QuickBooks desktop
- In the inception, you need to download QuickBooks and then save the file.
- Once you have downloaded the file, proceed ahead with the installation of the software by carrying out the respective steps.
- Choose custom and network install as the install type
- Then, choose I’ll be using QuickBooks desktop on this computer, AND I’ll be storing…in case you want the full version of QuickBooks desktop on the server system. Or in case you want the server system to the host files, then another option should be opted.
- Carry out the onscreen steps in order to culminate the installation process.
- Also, don’t forget to choose the multi-user host installation.
Step 2: Switching to multi-user hosting
- Open the QuickBooks software.
- Once opened, Update the QuickBooks company file to the newer version, if needed.
- Now, move to the file and choose utilities option, followed by clicking on the host multi-user access.
- Also if the previously hosted multi-user set up is present, then you are recommended to move to the next step.
Step 3: Configure the firewall and security settings for desktop
- From start menu, search for firewall.
- And then opt for windows firewall and also choose the advanced settings option.
- Then, click on the inbound rules and then choose the new rule option.
- Next, choose the Port, followed by selecting Next .
- After that check out the TCP option and then type in the ports that are needed for QuickBooks year version.
- Hit on the allow the connection option.
- Check-mark all the profiles and then switch to the next step by hitting Next option.
- Assign a name to the rule and then click on the finish option.
- Finally, you may now open QuickBooks in the multi-user mode.
Step 4: Move on to the folder and windows access permissions to share company files
- After implementation of the foregoing steps, right-click the folder having the company file.
- And then move to the properties option and select the security option. Also click on the edit option.
- Choose QBDataServicesUserXX and then opt for the Full control option , before clicking on the allow option.
- Subsequently, click on Apply tab, followed by choosing OK.
- Conclude this step by setting up windows access permissions for sharing your company files.
On windows 10, 8, 7
- Tap on the Win + R keys together to open the file Explorer tab.
- Now, search for folder containing the Company files. Once located, right-click it.
- Click on Properties and Sharing options, followed by clicking on share ad option respectively.
- Choose the corresponding QBSataServiceUserXX, (XX here is the particular version of QuickBooks installed on your system)
- Finally choose full control option and select the Share option.
Step 5: Check the file and set up the QuickBooks database server manager
- Firstly, click on the Start tab and then head to Programs .
- Choose QuickBooks.
- And then choose QuickBooks database server manager.
- Hit on the scan folders tab.
- And tap on the add folder option.
- Select the folder containing the company file and hit OK, also select the add folder option.
- Click on the scan tab and start with the scanning process.
- End the process by hitting on the close option.
Step 6: Inserting Windows Admin rights to permit configuration to multi-user access
On windows 10:
- Click on the start tab and then click on settings > accounts > family & other users respectively.
- Select the option labelled add someone else on this computer
- Next, choose the I don’t have this person’s sign-in information option and also insert a user without Microsoft account.
- Thereafter, assign a new name and password to the account.
- Once done, click on finish.
- Now, you are required to provide admin authorities to the new user.
- Once done with that select the newly created account and then choose the account type.
- Now select the admin tab.
- Lastly, hit OK and save option respectively.
Windows 8 and 7:
- Press the Ctrl + R keys and then open Control panel.
- Select user accounts > manage another account > create a new account respectively.
- And then, type in the user name and select the admin tab and also click the create option.
You may also see: Fixing QuickBooks keeps crashing/freezing error
Step 7: Start with a company file located on a remote computer
- Initially, you are required to visit the QuickBooks file menu and then choose the switch to multi-user mode option.
- Select Yes in the multi-user setup hosting window.
- Next step is to click on OK in the multi-user setup information window.
- You can end the process by adding expected users by visiting the company > set up users and passwords > set up users > add user respectively.
Multi-user mode offers innumerable benefits towards boosting your efficiency and efficacy. In a nutshell, setting up QuickBooks multi-user network in QuickBooks becomes indispensable, especially when you are running a huge firm. We end the post here with a firm belief information entailed in this article assisted you in setting up multi-user mode with much ease.
However, in case of any query or if you are facing any sort of issue then make sure to contact our QuickBooks enterprise technical support at 1-800-761-1787, and our experts will be there to assist you in a single call. Get in touch with our Support Team today!!