Learn how to use File Doctor tool to troubleshoot company file and network issues in QuickBooks Desktop:
Back in the year 2012, Intuit launched a tool named QuickBooks file doctor tool, keeping in mind the errors that the users generally face while working on the QuickBooks accounting software. This tool has been integrated in QuickBooks 2016 and later versions by Intuit. It is specifically designed for QB users, and is a blend of QuickBooks Network diagnostic tool and Company File diagnostic tool. This tool detects errors and then fixes them automatically. Many users are unaware of this magical tool, considering this we have come up with this article, where we are going to discuss about this tool in detail.
If you are also interested in knowing more about QBFD, then make sure to read this article carefully till the end. Or an alternative to this is, to have one to one conversation with our accounting professionals. You can contact our QuickBooks support team via our toll-free number i.e. 1-800-761-1787, and our executives will ensure that all your queries are heard and answered in the best possible way.
You may also like: How to correct cache amount for QuickBooks enterprise?
What is QuickBooks file doctor tool?
Before you learn various aspects associated with this tool, it is recommended to first understand what QuickBooks file doctor tool is? QBFD is basically a simple file repairing tool that is used to fix the errors that the users encounter while working on the QuickBooks accounting software. This tool is integrated or built-in only in QuickBooks 2016 and the later versions. In order to update QuickBooks to the latest version, the user can simply move to the QuickBooks file doctor download page at the Intuit website and carry out the action. Another point to be noted is that this tool works only for UK and US version of QB, and is compatible with all the QuickBooks desktop versions for windows.
This tool can’t be accessed by QuickBooks for Mac users. This tool doesn’t involve any rocket-science, as it is easy to use and only requires following a few simple steps.
Errors fixed by QuickBooks File doctor tool
If you’re having trouble while opening your company file then QuickBooks File Doctor tool can help you in this. Use this tool if you are getting any error from the below given list:
|Error code -6150||Error code -6000 -82||QB Error code -6000 -305|
|Error code -6000 -301||Network errors||Installation errors|
|Error in updating QuickBooks||Firewall port poorly configured||QB Error 6147, or -6130|
|And other 6000 series errors||Multi-user mode errors||Damaged company files|
|Damaged Windows registry||Data corruption errors||Malware attack hard drive|
|QuickBooks database server manager related bugs||Unable to open QuickBooks company file||Missing or blank vendor, customer, or employee lists|
|Various type of H series error||QuickBooks error H202||QB Error code H505|
How compatible is QuickBooks file doctor tool?
- It should be noted that QuickBooks file doctor tool comes built-in for QuickBooks desktop 2016 and later versions and it works will all QB desktop for windows versions.
- However, it is not yet made compatible with QuickBooks for Mac versions.
Types of QuickBooks file doctor tool
- QBFD stand-alone version, which is used from the server where only the QuickBooks database server manager component is installed, in order to host file.
- The other version of QuickBooks file doctor tool is the built-in version that comes handy with QuickBooks 2016 and later versions.
Procedure to download QuickBooks file doctor tool
Learn the easy ways to download & Install QuickBooks file doctor tool like a Pro:
- The first step is to download QuickBooks tools hub and then move to the downloads by pressing CTRL + J keys together.
- After that, the user needs to click on the QuickBooksToolsHub.exe in downloads list.
- The next step in the process is to click on yes, in order to accept the license agreement
- Now, click on Next option, followed by clicking on Install option.
- After the install process comes to an end, the user is supposed to hit Finish option
- Moving ahead, the user needs to click on the Icon to open QuickBooks Tool hub.
Important Note: If you can’t find the icon, Press Windows or Start key on your keyboard and search QuickBooks Tool Hub and choose the program to open it.
Once the Tool Hub program open, go to the Company File Issues option and carry out the steps to run QuickBooks file doctor tool.
Important Points to remember before running QBFD tool
Before you start using the QuickBooks file doctor, there are certain things that you need to consider which includes:
- Having admin credentials is essential before accessing the file doctor tool
- Also, the user should have a proper internet connection
- There is a certain file size limit i.e. 1.5 GB that the user should comply with.
- Make sure that you have installed a single version of QuickBooks on the system
- It is recommended to update QuickBooks to the latest version before you access QBFD
- File doctor tool can be accessed only by the users of QuickBooks Windows OS and not for the MAC users.
Limitations of QuickBooks file doctor tool
- The very first point where the QBFD tool lacks is that QuickBooks company file size is lesser than 2GB
- The internet connection is obligatory to upload the company file
- Admin credentials are a must
- Network connectivity diagnosis and repair option doesn’t work in a proper manner, if the user is having multiple QuickBooks versions installed
- Network connectivity diagnosis and repair option will also not work well, if database server manager is installed on the system.
Easy Steps to run QuickBooks file doctor tool
- In order to run QuickBooks file doctor tool, the user needs to select the company file issues tab from the tool hub.
- And then, select the run QBFD option. This step might take some time, and the user might have to wait for some time.
- After that, in the QuickBooks file doctor, the user needs to select the company file from the drop down menu. In case the user is unable to see the file, then he/she can browse and look for the file.
- Also, the user needs to select check the file option and hit continue.
- Lastly, the user needs to enter QuickBooks admin password, and hit next.
The point to be noted here, the scan time depends on the file size. In majority of the cases, it might take up to 5 minutes. And when the scan finishes, the user needs to open QuickBooks and the company file. The issue might also have been resolved even if the scan was unsuccessful.
Basic Information about Built-in QuickBooks File Doctor (QBFD)
- The built-in file doctor supports Windows 10, 8, 7 and MS Server 2003-2012
- You can repair Network and company file errors using it.
- You can use this tool for US, UK and Canada supported QuickBooks desktop versions.
- It can fix Corrupted and damaged company files.
You might also consider: Steps to Convert Data Files from Sage 50 to QuickBooks Desktop
Steps to use QuickBooks File Doctor stand-alone version
Below are the steps to use stand alone version of QuickBooks file doctor tool:
- In order to use the QuickBooks stand-alone version, the user needs to have the latest version of the file doctor tool.
- The user can also download the QB file doctor tool from the Intuit’s official site. In case the tool is already present, then simply click on run.
- Moving ahead, the user is expected to double click the QuickBooks file doctor tool Icon and then carry out the instructions present on the screen to complete the installation process.
- After the tool is installed and it doesn’t show up on the screen, then the user is required to open using the Windows Task-bar.
- Now, the user needs to click on browse option and then find the damaged company file. After that the user needs to start the QuickBooks file diagnostics to fix any error.
- After that the user will get two options from the file doctor tool window. And then select the one that’s appropriate the issue. Also, both the options are self-explanatory, which makes it easy for the users to make the best decision.
- In case the user has received 6000 series error or the company file gets damaged, then it is recommended to opt for the first option.
- Or else if there are any kind of network issues, then make sure to pick the second option.
- Moving ahead, the user needs to type in Company file Admin password, when asked, and then hit Next.
- The next step is to opt for any of the two options mentioned below, in order to continue diagnosing and fixing the error.
- Workstation option: This option is to be selected if the user is operating diagnosis and troubleshooting a client’s system. This basically means that the QuickBooks company file isn’t store or hosted on that system.
- Server option: The second option can be selected if in case the user is diagnosing and troubleshooting issues on QuickBooks client system. From client system it is meant that the QuickBooks company file isn’t stored or hosted on that system.
- Once done with that, the user needs to click on Yes option, if he/she is working on the QuickBooks server/ host or else select no, if you are on the QuickBooks workstation.
- Now, the QuickBooks file doctor tool will automatically repair the company files. The user is supposed to have some patience, as the process might be time consuming.
- The user will have to wait till the time file doctor tool completes diagnosing and fixing the bug. The process time depends on the size of company file, network speed, and also on the severity of the bug. It is recommended not to disrupt the process.
- After the entire procedure comes to an end, the use is supposed to close file doctor tool.
- Regardless of the fact whether the process outcome is positive or negative, the user is recommended to open the company file.
How to use QuickBooks file doctor built-in version (For 2016 & later)?
The versions of QuickBooks accounting software that are released by Intuit after the year 2015, consists of QuickBooks file doctor tool built-in feature. This internal feature detects and fixes the issues on its own. With mere human interference, the user can easily access the tool by pressing the start button. A few more steps can be carried out to use this effective tool:
- To begin with the user needs to launch QuickBooks, and also ensure that the company file remains unopened.
- After that, the user needs to move to the file menu, followed by selecting the Utilities option.
- Also, select repair file, in order to run the QuickBooks file doctor tool.
- The next step in the process is to click on the browse option, and then select the company file that requires to repair and hit Open option.
- Moving ahead, select the type of fix whichever the user wants, from the Show advanced settings window and then tap on next option.
- Heading towards the next step, the user needs to enter the administrator ID and password and then select next.
- And lastly, when the diagnosis process comes to an end, the user needs to try to launch the company file once again.
You may also like: Resolve printing issues in QuickBooks desktop
Most probable outcomes while using file doctor
1. QBFD didn’t detect any problem
The first case can be when the QuickBooks file doctor tool is not able to come up to any kind of bug. This case might require re-login to the company file, and if by chance the error persists, the user might be needed to setup the Auto data recovery and then enter the transactions since the last backup.
2. QBFD diagnoses and resolves an issue
The second probable case can be that the QB file doctor tool detects an issue, and after that the user is supposed to tap on “Open new company”, when the process ends. This is considered to be one of the most favorable outcomes of the process.
3. Issue detected, but error can’t be resolved
This is the last case that might happen, when the user runs the File doctor tool. In this outcome, the user is recommended to setup the auto data recovery tool, as well as enter the transactions in a manual manner, ever since the last backup or upload the file on its own.
What to do after repairing QuickBooks?
After you are done with the diagnosis and repairing process, all you have to do is to backup the QuickBooks company file data and generate the backup data file in a removable hard drive. The user is recommended to backup the data right at the end of every month.
In case file doctor is not working:
At times, the user is unable to use QBFD and an error appeared on the screen stating “File doctor is not working“, during diagnosis of the company file. The QBFD error could be seen due to below factors:
- The user is trying to update the company file
- Or if you forgot to install any company file during installation
- In case you are unable to restore the files
- Also, in case there is any damage or corruption in the files
- The user needs to restore the backup of the QBW file
- And then, the user can make use of the auto data recovery to resolve the QuickBooks file doctor error
- The user can also configure the antivirus software and turn off the hosting mode
QuickBooks file doctor tool can be a magical tool, if used wisely. At the end of this article, we expect that user will be able to make the best use of QBFD, after reading the detailed information shared in this post. However, there can be chances, that the technicalities of the software and tool might confuse the users. Thus, in that case, expert assistance is just a phone call away from you.
All you will have to do is to ring up at our toll-free number i.e. 1-800-761-1787, and let our QuickBooks enterprise support experts and certified accounting professionals fix the error for you. Thus, do not hesitate in ringing up to us at anytime, as our executives will be happy to help you.
Other QuickBooks repair tools: