Learn how to use File Doctor tool to troubleshoot company file and network issues in QuickBooks Desktop:
Back in the year 2012, Intuit released a tool known as QuickBooks file doctor tool, keeping in mind the errors that users generally encounter while working on the QuickBooks software. This tool has been integrated in QuickBooks 2016 and later versions by Intuit. It was specifically designed for QuickBooks users, and is a blend of Network diagnostic tool and Company File diagnostic tool. This tool automatically detects the company file errors and fixes them automatically. Many users are not aware of this magical tool, and that is why we have come up with this article, in which we are going to discuss about this tool in details.
If you’re also interested in knowing more about QBFD, then make sure to read this article carefully till the end. However, an alternative option is to have a one-to-one conversations with our accounting experts. You can reach to our QuickBooks support team and our executives will ensure that all your queries are heard and addressed in the best possible way.
You may also like: How to correct cache amount for QuickBooks enterprise?
What is QuickBooks file doctor tool?
Before you learn various aspects associated with this tool, it is recommended to first understand what QuickBooks file doctor tool is? QBFD is basically a simple file repairing tool that is used to fix the errors that the users encounter while working on the QuickBooks software. This tool is integrated or built-in only in QuickBooks 2016 and the later versions. In order to update QuickBooks to the latest version, you can simply move to the QuickBooks file doctor download page at the Intuit website and carry out the action. Another point to be noted is that this tool works only for UK and US version of QB, and is compatible with all the QuickBooks desktop versions for windows.
This tool can’t be accessed by QuickBooks for Mac users. This tool doesn’t involve any rocket-science, as it is easy to use and only requires following a few simple steps.
Errors fixed by QuickBooks File doctor tool
If you’re having difficulty while opening the company file, then QuickBooks File Doctor tool can assist you in this. Make use of this tool if you encounters any error from the following list:
|Error code -6150||Error code -6000 -82||QB Error code -6000 -305|
|Error code -6000 -301||Network errors||Installation errors|
|Error in updating QuickBooks||Firewall port poorly configured||QB Error 6147, or Error -6130|
|And other 6000 series errors||Multi-user mode errors||Damaged company files|
|Damaged Windows registry||Data corruption errors||Malware attack hard drive|
|QuickBooks database server manager related bugs||Unable to open QuickBooks company file||Missing or blank vendor, customer, or employee lists|
|Various type of H series error||QuickBooks error H202||QB Error code H505|
Important things about QuickBooks file doctor tool
- One should uninstall the existing QBFD before downloading the latest version of the same.
- All the QuickBooks versions post 2015 come with an inbuilt file doctor tool, but it is recommended to make use of the external file doctor tool.
- The QuickBooks file doctor is accessible with all QuickBooks desktops for windows versions only.
- File doctor tool might appear automatically in case of some errors. You just need to click the start tab and let the tool do its work.
Types of QuickBooks desktop file doctor tool
- QBFD stand-alone version, which is used from the server where only the QuickBooks database server manager component is installed, in order to host file.
- The other version of QuickBooks file doctor tool is the built-in version that comes handy with QuickBooks 2016 and later versions.
How compatible is QuickBooks file doctor tool?
- It should be noted that QuickBooks file doctor tool comes built-in for QuickBooks desktop 2016 and later versions and it works will all QB desktop for windows versions.
- However, it is not yet made compatible with QuickBooks for Mac versions.
Steps to download and install the QuickBooks file doctor tool
Learn the easy ways to download & Install QuickBooks file doctor tool like a Pro:
- The first step is to download QuickBooks tools hub and then move to the downloads by pressing CTRL + J keys together. (The most recent version of tool hub program is (22.214.171.124)
- After that save the file somewhere you can easily find it.
- Next, hit a click on the QuickBooksToolsHub.exe to open the file.
- Next step in the process is to click on Yes, in order to accept the license agreement.
- Now click on Next option, followed by clicking on Install option.
- After the install process comes to an end, you are supposed to hit Finish option.
- Moving ahead, you need to click on the Icon to open QuickBooks Tool hub.
Important Note: If you can’t find the icon, Press Windows or Start key on your keyboard and search QuickBooks Tool Hub and choose the program to open it.
- Once the Tool Hub program open, go to the Company File Issues option and carry out the steps to run QuickBooks file doctor tool.
Important Points to remember before running QuickBooks file doctor tool
Before you start using the QuickBooks file doctor, there are certain things that you need to consider which includes:
- Having admin credentials is essential before accessing the file doctor tool.
- Also, you should have a proper internet connection.
- There is a certain file size limit i.e. 1.5 GB that you should comply with.
- Ensure that you have installed a single version of QuickBooks on the system.
- It is recommended to update QuickBooks to the latest version before you access QBFD.
- File doctor tool can be accessed only by users of QuickBooks Windows OS and not for the MAC users.
Steps to run QuickBooks file doctor
Before running the QuickBooks file doctor, you can run Quick Fix my File function from the tool hub program.
- At first, close your QuickBooks and open the tool hub program.
- Now from the tool hub, choose Company File Issues opt.
- After that choose Quick Fix my File.
- Now hit a click on OK once the process completes.
- Re-open your QuickBooks desktop.
Note: If you’re still receiving an error message, or are unable to open your company file, then we recommend you to run file doctor tool.
- In order to run QuickBooks file doctor tool, you need to select the company file issues tab from the tool hub.
- And then, select the run QBFD option. This step might take some time, and you might have to wait for some time.
- After that, in the QuickBooks file doctor, select the company file from the drop down menu. In case you are unable to see the file, then it can browse and look for the file.
- Also, you need to choose check the file option and hit continue.
- Lastly enter QuickBooks admin password, and hit next.
The point to be noted here, the scan time depends on the file size. In majority of the cases, it might take up to 5 minutes. And when the scan finishes, you need to open QuickBooks and the company file. The issue might also have been resolved even if the scan was unsuccessful.
Limitations of QuickBooks file doctor tool
- First point where the QBFD tool lacks is that QuickBooks company file size is lesser than 2GB.
- The internet connection is obligatory to upload the company file.
- Admin credentials are a must.
- Network connectivity diagnosis and repair option doesn’t work in a proper manner, if you are having multiple QuickBooks versions installed.
- Network connectivity diagnosis and repair option will also not work well, if database server manager is installed on the system.
You might also consider: How to Verify and Rebuild Data Utility in QuickBooks Desktop?
Steps to use QuickBooks File Doctor stand alone version
Below are the steps to use stand alone version of QuickBooks file doctor tool:
- In order to use the QuickBooks stand-alone version, you have the latest version of the file doctor tool.
- You can also download the QB file doctor tool from the Intuit’s official site. In case the tool is already present, then simply click on run.
- Moving ahead, you are expected to double click the QuickBooks file doctor tool Icon and then carry out the instructions present on the screen to complete the installation process.
- After the tool is installed and it doesn’t show up on the screen, then you are required to open using the Windows Task-bar.
- Now you need to hit a click on browse option and then find the damaged company file. After that you need to start the QuickBooks file diagnostics to fix any error.
- Next, you will get two options from the file doctor tool window. And then select the one that’s appropriate the issue. Also, both the options are self-explanatory, which makes it easy for you to make the best decision.
- In case you have received 6000 series error or the company file gets damaged, then it is recommended to opt for the first option.
- Or else if there are any kind of network issues, then make sure to pick the second option.
- Moving ahead, you need to type in Company file Admin password, when asked, and then hit Next.
- Next step is to opt for any of the two options mentioned below, in order to continue diagnosing and fixing the error.
- Workstation option: This option is to be selected if you are operating diagnosis and troubleshooting a client’s system. This basically means that the QuickBooks company file isn’t store or hosted on that system.
- Server option: The second option can be selected if in case you are diagnosing and troubleshooting issues on QuickBooks client system. From client system it is meant that the QuickBooks company file isn’t stored or hosted on that system.
- Once done with that, hit a click on Yes option, if you are working on the QuickBooks server/ host or else select no, if you are on the QuickBooks workstation.
- Now, the QuickBooks file doctor tool will automatically repair the company files. It is supposed to have some patience, as the process might be time consuming.
- You will have to wait till the time file doctor tool completes diagnosing and fixing the bug. The process time depends on the size of company file, network speed, and also on the severity of the bug. It is recommended not to disrupt the process.
- After the entire procedure comes to an end, you are supposed to close file doctor tool.
- Regardless of the fact whether the process outcome is positive or negative, you are recommended to open the company file.
You may also like: Resolve printing issues in QuickBooks desktop
How to use QuickBooks file doctor built-in version (For 2016 & later)?
- The built-in file doctor supports Windows 10, 8, 7 and MS Server 2003-2012
- You can repair Network and company file errors using it
- You can use this tool for US, UK and Canada supported QuickBooks desktop versions
- It can fix Corrupted and damaged company files
- It is used for file and data repair. And QuickBooks doesn’t need to be installed on the system
- In case the .NET framework 2.0 is not presented on the desktop, then the QuickBooks file doctor tool will install it through the diagnostic tool.
The versions of QuickBooks accounting software that are released by Intuit after the year 2015, consists of QuickBooks file doctor tool built-in feature. This internal feature detects and fixes the issues on its own. With mere human interference, you can easily access the tool by pressing the start button. A few more steps can be carried out to use this effective tool:
- To begin with you need to launch QuickBooks, and also ensure that the company file remains unopened.
- After that move to the file menu, followed by selecting the Utilities option.
- Also, select repair file, in order to run the QuickBooks file doctor tool.
- Next step in the process is to hit a click on the browse option, and then choose the company file that requires to repair and hit Open option.
- Moving ahead, select the type of fix which ever you want, from the Show advanced settings window and then tap on next option.
- Heading towards the next step, enter the administrator ID and password and then select next.
- And lastly, when the diagnosis process comes to an end, try to launch the company file once again.
Most probable outcomes while using file doctor
1. QBFD didn’t detect any problem
The first case can be when the QuickBooks file doctor tool is not able to come up to any kind of bug. This case might require re-login to the company file, and if by chance the error persists, you might be needed to setup the Auto data recovery and then enter the transactions since the last backup.
2. QBFD diagnoses and resolves an issue
The second probable case can be that the QB file doctor tool detects an issue, and after that you are supposed to tap on “Open new company”, when the process ends. This is considered to be one of the most favorable outcomes of the process.
3. Issue detected, but error can’t be resolved
This is the last case that might happen, when you runs the File doctor tool. In this outcome, it is recommended to setup the auto data recovery tool, as well as enter the transactions in a manual manner, ever since the last backup or upload the file on its own.
What to do after repairing your QuickBooks company file?
After you are done with the diagnosis and repairing process, all you have to do is to backup the QuickBooks company file data and generate the backup data file in a removable hard drive. You are recommended to backup the data right at the end of every month.
In case file doctor is not working:
At times, you are unable to use QBFD and an error appeared on the screen stating “File doctor is not working“, during diagnosis of the company file. The QBFD error could be seen due to below factors:
- You are trying to update the company file.
- If you forgot to install any company file during installation.
- In case you are unable to restore the files.
- Also, in case there is any damage or corruption in the files.
- You need to restore the backup of the QBW file.
- And then, make use of the auto data recovery to resolve the QuickBooks file doctor not working error.
- You can also configure the antivirus software and turn off the hosting mode.
You may like: How to Fix QuickBooks Error Codes: 6189, 816?
QuickBooks File Doctor tool is a powerful tool, when used it wisely. After reading this article, we believe you’ll be able make the best use of QBFD, after reading the comprehensive information shared in this article. However, there can be chances, that the technical aspects of the software and tool might confuse the users. Therefore, in such a case, help from a professional is just one phone call away from you.
Other QuickBooks repair tools: