Learn how to restore your company files in QuickBooks Desktop
QuickBooks accounting software has marked its presence in the accounting industry in the recent couple of years. It has created a lot of buzz in the accounting world. However, there are certain things where the users get stuck and seek for professional assistance. Majority of the QB users face difficulty in restoring company files in QuickBooks desktop. Thus, keeping that in mind, we have come up with this post, where we will be discussing the process to restore the backup files in QuickBooks desktop. Thus, make sure to read this post till the end.
Moreover, you can also get in touch with our technical support team for further assistance. Many times, users find this process too technical to tackle, then in those cases, it is highly recommended to let the professionals carry out the task on your behalf. You can simply ring up to us at our toll-free number i.e. 1-800-761-1787, and our support team will be happy to assist you.
You might also like: Convert QuickBooks online files to QuickBooks desktop
What do you mean by restoring backup for QuickBooks?
Basically, when any kind of corruption occurs to the QBW file, the stored data becomes inaccessible, which might stake the accounting information of the organization. In such a situation, the user can employ a manual method of restoring the QuickBooks company file from the local backup. This is only possible if the backup is created earlier. Also, in order to restore the backup of the company file from the local backup, the user will have to have the password for the admin account as a part of the restore process. Read on the post to learn the process to restore backup.
Steps to Restore backup company files in QuickBooks
At the time when the user makes an attempt to restore the backup file, the QuickBooks software make use of the backup file with .qbb extension, in order to create a new company file with .qbw extension. In case the backup file is present on the external drive, then in such a situation the user will have to move it to the local drive and then continue with the process. Also, while downloading the file, an option will be asked where to save or map the file. So, make sure that you opt for a location where you can access it easily. Now that you know all the facts, it is time to begin with the process.
- In this process, the very first step is to navigate to the File menu and then choose the open or restore company option. This step will open up the restore wizard.
- Moving ahead, the user needs to click the restore a backup copy having the .qbb extension. Once done with that, make sure to click on Next.
- Now, after carrying out the above step, the user needs to choose the local backup option, and hitting Next option once again. This will now open up the backup copy window.
- After that, the user is supposed to browse the location having the backup file. This step is not mandatory, and should be performed only if needed.
- The next step in the process is to opt for the backup file, and then click on open and next tabs respectively.
- This would not require the user to select save option from the drop-down arrow, and then navigate to the location, where the backup file is to be restored.
- This drives the user towards the end of the process, where it is important to choose the backup file and hit the save option.
Note: It should be noted that in case any of the messages get displayed on the screen, then the user will have to respond to each of them.
Steps to Restore QuickBooks Company File from the Local Backup
The process to restore backup company file involves the steps below, but before that the user needs to move the file to the local drive, if the backup company file is on external device like USB or hosting service like Box. The steps to be followed are:
- The very first step is to click the File from the menu bar and then select the Open or restore company
- And then select the restore a backup copy option to restore the data from the backup copy and then click on the next tab
- After that the window will ask for the location of the saved backup copy and then the user will have to select the local backup to restore the company file from the backup stored on to the network or any removable media.
Note: In case the user has saved the backup copy online, then he/she is supposed to select the online backup option rather then opting for local backup.
- The next step is to click on Next and then continue after making a choice between online backup and local backup
- The user is then required to use the open backup copy dialog box that appears to navigate to and select the local backup copy for the restoration process
- Moving ahead, the user needs to open tab present in the open backup copy dialog box and then return to the open or restore company window.
Note: The point to be noted here is that, rather than executing the steps above, the user can select the file from the menu bar and can select the name of the local backup file to use.
- After that, window open or restore company will display the where do you want to restore the file? Screen. After which the user needs to hit the next tab.
- Now, select the save company file as dialog box and then select the damaged company file to overwrite the data with the data from the backup copy.
- The next step is too select the company file and then click on the save tab
- Followed by clicking on Yes and then replace the selected company file.
- Now, type Yes in the text box in the delete entire file window and then hit OK tab.
- After that, enter the password into the password field in the QuickBooks login dialog box and then click on the OK tab.
Note: The user can continue with the steps below to finish restoring the company file, in case the password is not created for the admin account.
- The user is supposed to enter a different name for the admin account into the username field
- And then enter the password for the user account into both new password and confirm password
- Followed by selecting a challenge question and enter the answer.
- Hit OK button to finish restoring
- Re-enter the transactions into the company file and you are good to go.
Well, these were the steps to restore Restore a backup of your company file. However, if you are facing any kind of error, then in that case, you can get in touch with our experts and certified accounting and bookkeeping professionals.
You can simply ring up at our toll-free number i.e. 1-800-761-1787, and our QuickBooks desktop support experts will be happy to help you. Do not hesitate in calling us anytime, we will be there to assist you round the clock.
Other helpful topics: