Here are the few ways that help you fix QuickBooks Error Code 6147
QuickBooks accounting software is highly adored by small and mid-sized businesses. Its tools and features save business owners both time and money. But despite being a highly advanced software, QuickBooks isn’t entirely free from certain errors. QuickBooks error code 6147 is a common company file error that generally appears when you try to open a corrupt company file, a backup file or a file that is missing. When you receive this error code, a warning message appears on your screen that reads:
“Error code -6147, 0 when attempting to open my company file or a backup file.“
“This is not a QuickBooks data file or there is a problem with the data file.”
QuickBooks error code 6147 belongs to the – 6000 series. And before you jump on to the troubleshooting steps, we recommend you go through the causes that trigger it. So, to know more about this error, you need to scroll through the post carefully.
You can also get in touch with our QuickBooks support team at 1-800-761-1787 in order to troubleshoot this error quickly. Our Certified ProAdvisors will control the situation on your behalf and resolve the error permanently. Do not hesitate in getting in touch with us anytime.
What is QuickBooks error 6147?
QuickBooks error code 6147, 0 belongs to the 6000 series error. This error is caused when the QuickBooks is unable to restore the backup from the local system. It is caused due to a couple of factors, which will be discussed later in this post. When you faces this error, you needs to check if the QuickBooks desktop is up to date. And you can also run and install the QuickBooks file doctor tool to fix the damaged QuickBooks company file or network. The detailed solutions are mentioned later in this article. So, keep reading!
You might also see: Fix QuickBooks Error Code -6000, -816 Like a Pro
What causes QuickBooks error code 6147?
One or more of the below-mentioned causes may trigger QuickBooks company file error 6147:
- A damaged or corrupt company file.
- Error while restoring a QuickBooks backup file from an external drive or network.
- QBW. file may be damaged.
- QuickBooks company file consists of incorrect information or data.
- The company file is opened via a mapped drive that was either deleted by mistake or by a third party software.
Symptoms of QuickBooks Error code 6147, 0
The following are some of the most common symptoms that may tell you of this file error even before you receive it:
- You will face issue while opening your company file.
- You are unsuccessful in restoring the backup file.
- Issue was detected and the system shuts down automatically.
- The active program window crashes.
Methods to Troubleshoot QuickBooks Error Code 6147, 0
Now, since you are aware of the causes and symptoms of QuickBooks Error 6147- let’s move on to the next step that’s troubleshooting it. We are providing you with four solutions that you can perform in the provided sequence.
Method 1: Run QuickBooks File Doctor
QuickBooks File Doctor is a tool that automatically finds and fixes a wide range of errors. If it’s not already installed in your software, install it from Intuit’s website. Once the installation is complete, just run it and wait for the tool to do its work. Try to reopen your company file after the File Doctor process is complete. Do it even if the process shows unsuccessful. If the issue persists, move on to the next solution.
- Firstly, download and install QuickBooks tool hub from Intuit official site.
- After that run this tool on your server computer.
- Now go to the Company file issues tab and choose Run QuickBooks file doctor option form here.
- The file doctor tool will automatically open after performing the above steps.
- Now follow the on-screen instructions to resolve the company file issues.
Read Also: How to Fix QuickBooks error code 15241?
Method 2: Move QuickBooks file to another location
- Ensure that hosting of the system is not turned on.
- Go to QuickBooks, hit a click on the File menu and then on Utilities.
- If you see Stop Hosting Multiple-User option – follow the further mentioned steps:
- Stop the access of Hosting Multiple-User.
- Hit Yes and allow the next window to show up.
- Again hit a click on Yes with the company file closed.
- Now, try to restore the backup file available on the system.
Method 3: Use Trend Micro Active Scan
Perform these troubleshooting steps if the previous one didn’t fix the problem for you.
- Find and note down the location of your company file.
- Press Ctrl key and then double click on the QuickBooks icon without disturbing the company file.
- The company file must show up on top.
- Select the company file from the list.
- The company file list you open shall also show the location of the file.
- Go to the scan settings in Trend Micro active scan.
- Find the file folder and allow an exception for it.
Method 4: Rename QuickBooks files such as .ND and .TLG file
You should rename the .ND and .TLG files. These files are configured files that enable users to run the company file without difficulty in a network or a multi-user mode. Here is how you can follow the below steps to rename the file:
- Open the folder where your company file is stored.
- Find the .ND and .TLG file:
- Next, select the file and do a right-click on it and click rename and add the word OLD at the end of each file name.
- Open QuickBooks again and try to sign in to your company file.
Method 5: Change the name of the .ADR file
You should also change the name of QuickBooks ADR file (Auto data recovery) if changing the names of the above-mentioned files doesn’t fix the error 6147.
- Initially, go to the folder that has your company files stored.
- After that find the .ADR file.
- Open the .ADR File folder and search for the most recent file.
- Now do a right-click on it and select Rename from the drop-down menu.
- Rename the file to .qbw.
Method 6: Close all QuickBooks processes
- The very first step is to login as Administrator on the server system.
- And then, press Ctrl+Shift+Esc keys together.
- Next step is show the processes for all the users by selecting the Users tab.
- Now, highlight each of the QuickBooks processes:
- and QBDBMgr.exe
- After that choose End Task.
- To end the process, you need to open the company file in multi-user mode.
Method 7: Using QuickBooks install diagnostic tool
You can make use of the QuickBooks install diagnostic tool in order to look for and fix the damaged company files. The QuickBooks install diagnostic tool can be either downloaded directly or can be used from the QuickBooks Tool Hub. This tool is designed and developed in a way to fix the errors related to installation of QuickBooks.
Read this also: How to solve QuickBooks payroll error 15311?
Method 8: Creating back up files at a different location
You can create backup files at a different location, in order to get rid of the QuickBooks error code 6147, 0. The steps involved in this process are as follows:
- You need to ensure that the hosting of the system is not done.
- After that hit a click on file menu and opt for utilities.
- Next step is if the inclusion of stop hosting multi user option is there in list, then you need to continue with the steps below:
- You need to stop hosting multi user access.
- And then hit a click on yes on the window shown. Now wait for the next window to have appeared.
- Also, click on yes tab with the company file closed.
- To end the process, restore the backup file present on the system.
Method 9: Accessing the Rebuild Utility
This is the last method that one can opt for, in order to get rid of QuickBooks error 6147, 0. The steps to be followed for this are:
- At first, move to the file menu and then select utilities tab.
- And then choose rebuild data.
- Next step is to select OK tab, in case the user gets a prompt to backup the company file.
- In case the software indicates a message “QuickBooks is not responding“, then you needs hit OK tab.
Following the above-mentioned steps in the given sequence shall help you in fixing QuickBooks Error code 6147. In case the issue still persists, appears again and again or you have any more QB related issues – you can contact our QuickBooks enterprise support team at 1-800-761-1787 for more advanced solutions.
You might also read: