Learn the 9 different ways to fix QuickBooks Error code 6189, 816
QuickBooks software is an excellent accounting solution to monitor the accounting data and provides real-time monitoring of the state of business. Not only this, there are innumerable features that roll in with this amazing software. The simplicity of the platform makes it pretty much easy and accessible for users to work on it. However, despite many amazing features, the software at time gets tangled up in messy errors, which can be quite annoying. One of the most annoying errors that we are going to talk about today is the QuickBooks error code 6189. This sort of error is seen when you attempt to access your company file from a network device in a multi-user mode.
A complete walk-through for fixing the QuickBooks error 6189, 816 will be seen in this article. Therefore, ensure that you read the article to the end attentively. Additionally, you can also request the accounting experts to troubleshoot the error on your behalf, particularly when you think that dealing with this problem is not in your comfort zone.
What is QuickBooks error code 6189, 816?
Before we dig in deep and learn the fixes to this error, it is better to first unleash the necessary facts related to it. QuickBooks error message 6189 is basically a run-time error that can be seen when you try to open the company file. It comes up with an error message on the screen stating:
|Warning||An error occurred when QuickBooks tried to access the company file (-6189, -816),|
|Error Codes: (-6189, -816)||QuickBooks is unable to open this company file. It may have been opened by another user. You should ask that user to switch to multi-user mode so you can both use the company file at the same time. The file could also be located in a read-only network folder. If it is, ask your system administrator to make the file accessible.|
This problem indicates any kind of error with the multi-user network and not with the accounting data. It can be resolved easily. It is important to make sure that you have the QuickBooks file storage instructions in place. There can be a bunch of possible reasons causing this error, which will be discussed below along with the possible fixes.
Factors leading to the QuickBooks error 6189
There are a couple of factors that could drive you to this QuickBooks company file error 6189, 816, namely:
- Missing or damaged QuickBooks components.
- If the company file on a network computer is in use by a program or a process.
- Also, accessibility issues with the company file or folder on the QuickBooks host system can be a common factor.
- In case you mistakenly deletes the important drivers from the system needed for running QuickBooks, then this blunder could lead you to this error.
- If another client signed into the company file in single-user mode, then this error could be faced.
- Any kind of issue with the QuickBooks registry values in Windows registry.
- If the operating system is affected by any sort of antivirus.
- Damaged network data source file on the QuickBooks server or host system.
- There might be a trouble with the QB hosting processes.
And a couple of other factors might lead to this annoying error.
You might also see: Fix QuickBooks Error 3371 Status code (License Error)
Quick Solutions for QuickBooks Error Code 6189, 816 (Company File Issue)
In case you detect an error message that we mentioned above, then here are a few methods that you can opt for in order to get rid of the QuickBooks error code 6189. Let us have a look at the methods one by one:
Solution 1: Run Quick fix my program from the QuickBooks tool hub
In this method, you need to download the QuickBooks tool hub program and then run Quick fix my program.
Step 1: Download and install the QuickBooks tools hub program
- Initially, close the QuickBooks software.
- Afterward, download the QuickBooks tools hub file and save it where it can be accessed easily.
- After that, open the file downloaded file (QuickBooksToolHub.exe).
- Follow the on-screen commands to Install and agree to the terms and conditions.
- When the install finishes, double-click the Icon on the Windows desktop.
Step 2: Run the Quick fix my program
- In order to run the Quick fix my program, you need to open the QuickBooks tool hub and then choose Program problems.
- After that, choose Quick fix my program.
- Follow it up by launching the QuickBooks desktop and opening the data file.
Step 3: Run QuickBooks File Doctor Tool
- To resolve issues with the company file and network setup, go to the ‘Company File Issues’ tab and choose ‘QuickBooks File Doctor.’
- Proceed to repair the damage to the company file and the network, and then retry to access the company file to see if the error has been fixed.
- If the error still pervades, conform to the following solution.
Solution 2: Move your company files to the local hard drive
- You are recommended to Move the company file to the local hard drive if the error continues and also if the company file is stored on a removable drive or online.
- You can store QuickBooks files on the server system’s hard drive. However, the online file hosting services including Dropbox, Google Drive, etc. might seem convenient but are prone to issues.
- Also, avoid storing the files on removable drives, as they aren’t designed in a way to run QuickBooks or multi-user networks.
- Another important thing is to avoid encrypting the QuickBooks files on the hard drive storing them, as it can block the multi-user network connection.
Solution 3: Run QuickBooks database server manager
The server system stores the QuickBooks files, whereas the other systems are the workstations. If you are hosting your own network, then in that case the QuickBooks database server manager will help to keep the multi-user network stable. The steps involved in this process are as follows:
- Open the tool hub program and hit on the Network issues.
- Afterward, choose the QuickBooks database server manager. Now you will be asked to Install the QuickBooks software on the server, if not already.
- Inside the database server manager, you need to opt for the Start scan option if you see the company files. Or else, you can Browse to the location and then click on the Start scan option.
- Now the database server manager will fix the Firewall permissions on its own. And then hit close, once the process ends.
- The last step is to open QuickBooks.
Important Note: If QuickBooks Database Server Manager runs on one of the workstations you have, make sure that it isn’t configured to host your multi-user network.
Corrupted Windows drive
In case the QuickBooks error code 6189 continues, then it might be due to a damaged Windows drive being used for QuickBooks. You can download or run a new window drive update utility to update or run the Windows drive. In case you are unable to do so, then you can take help from any specialist or master/professional.
Solution 4: Restart the computer and the servers
At times the whole system demands a full reset. The steps to be followed in such a situation are as follows:
- You need to restart the server computer.
Important: It is very much important to find out where the company file is hosted. If you are making use of the QuickBooks enterprise hosting rather than the server system, then you can consult a professional to help you out in restarting.
- Reboot the Workstations and open the QuickBooks desktop on the server system.
- And then open QuickBooks on each of the Workstations.
Related article: How to Troubleshoot the QuickBooks Error Code 12157?
Solution 5: Download and run the QuickBooks Refresher tool
You are recommended to download and run the QuickBooks refresher on the system facing the issue. This process will close all the background programs that might be the reason for the error. This also refreshes all the process:
- Initially, Download the QuickBooks refresher and then install all the files from it. You are then recommended to save the files to access them easily.
- After that keep a check whether no other task is running on the QuickBooks desktop.
- You are then recommended to check and Close all the versions of QuickBooks running on the system.
- And then, you need to double-click on the QBRefresher.exe file to run the program.
- The QBRefresher runs in 30 seconds, follow the onscreen instructions.
- The final step is when the installation is finished, you will have to reopen the QuickBooks desktop.
Note: If in case the issue persists, we recommend you to opt for a full reset.
Solution 6: Back up and restore the file
- You need to first Create a backup file on the old system.
- And then, copy all backup files to the new system:
- With the help of a Flash drive or another external device.
- It can use a network if the systems are connected.
- You are required to Restore the backup on the new system.
Read this also: How to Convert Quicken Data to QuickBooks Desktop?
Solution 7: Alter the filenames of the ‘.ND’ and ‘.TLG’ files
These comprise the essential network(.ND) and transaction log(.TLG) files that are necessary for accessing the QuickBooks company file in a multi-user mode. Renaming them can help in rectifying QuickBooks Error Code 6189. Follow the steps below and check if the steps help in wiping the error code.
- Head to the folder that contains your company file.
- Look for files with the same name as your company files but stored with different extensions.
- You are required to search for the ‘.ND‘ and ‘.TLG‘ files.
- Right-click each file and hit on Rename. Add ‘.OLD‘ at the end and click anywhere on the screen to save the file name.
- Reopen QuickBooks and sign in to your company file again. The problem must be rectified.
Solution 8: Fix installation issues with your QuickBooks software
To fix any installation troubles with the QuickBooks program, follow the procedures listed below.
- Open the ‘QuickBooks Tool Hub’ that you previously installed.
- To fix the QuickBooks program’s installation, use the “QuickBooks Install Diagnostic tool” under the “Installation Issues” tab.
- System configurations that are out-of-date can take longer, so be patient and don’t stop the process in the midst.
- Access the company file once more to check if error 6189, 816 were fixed when the QuickBooks repair process was complete.
Solution 9: Manually resolve the error message 6189, 816
- You need to search out the Transaction log file and then Rename it.
- And then Verify users’ permission endowed to QBDataServiceUserXX for the QuickBooks application.
- Subsequently, confirm that the QuickBooks files are not encrypted.
- Create a Replica of the QB file and then paste it onto the desktop.
- Lastly, if the file still can’t open then Move to the folder where it was allocated earlier.
We have attempted to encapsulate the various rectification methods in this post, but if you still face the QuickBooks error 6189, 816 issue then don’t worry as we will assist you in the best possible way. You can definitely rely upon our QuickBooks enterprise technical support team for the best possible assistance anytime. We understand the value of your time, which is why we will ensure that your software should be run error-free and smoothly at the earliest.
You can reach out to our customer support team at 1-800-761-1787, whenever you feel the need. Our U.S bases accounting professionals and ProAdvisors will ensure to provide you with immediate assistance.