Easy ways to update QuickBooks Desktop to the latest release
QuickBooks is an innovative bookkeeping and accounting software that is used by hundreds of thousands of business owners and accountants around the globe. But in order to make the most of QuickBooks, one must keep it updated to the latest version?
QuickBooks update and upgrade are two different things. Upgrade adds valuable features to the software and can only be performed using a CD Rom. If you are planning to update this accounting software, you can read this quick guide and get the latest QuickBooks updated from the internet directly. These updates are also known as maintenance release for “patches.” The updates optimize the performance of QuickBooks and also fix many known issues automatically. All these updates come at no extra cost for product releases. You can download these updates to enhance your company’s productivity.
In this article we will let you know the complete procedure of updating the QuickBooks desktop to latest release version. However, to speed up the update process, you can also contact our round-the-clock QuickBooks support team. We are a hub of tech-savvy accounting professionals, who work the entire day and night to provide the best possible support services to QuickBooks users. Thus, do not hesitate to call our experts, and our representatives will get back to you with the best possible support services.
You might also like: How to restore deleted company files in QuickBooks?
Advantages of updating QuickBooks desktop version
Updating the QuickBooks desktop version is different from upgrading the version of the merchandise, just as, Intuit frequently releases updates for its various versions of QuickBooks such as 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020 and 2021 whereas this kind of update is released only once a year. There are certain benefits of updating the version of QuickBooks desktop application.
- The user will be able to update guarantees better security of the data
- It also ensures error free user knowledge
- This resolves difficulties to some common security loops and bugs
- Real time invoice status tracking, improved data file, etc. are some characteristics that are seen while updating QuickBooks
- Optimization characteristic and more
How to see if you have the latest update or not?
Before you update your QuickBooks desktop, it should be noted that updating usually takes a slight change to the database. These changes would not create the information file readable with earlier releases. The user needs to ensure to have the QuickBooks desktop patch. For identifying whether you are having the latest update or not, you need to carry out a couple of steps listed below:
- The user needs to first open the QuickBooks desktop
- And then press F2 for opening the product information window
- The next step is to check the current version and release
- Verify the available QuickBooks release
The user can check what’s new and improved in the latest updates to QuickBooks desktop 2021 and Enterprise 21.0.
How you can update QuickBooks desktop to latest release?
You can use four methods to download the update from the internet. Each method would require you to have a fast and reliable internet connection.
- Automatic update method (default setting)
- On-demand (immediate) update method
- Release download
- Manual update
Once you download the updates, all the important company files will automatically be installed to the correct location on your computer. All the updates, post downloading the updates, would automatically be prompted. You would receive a notification to install the update the next time whenever you would start the accounting software. Sometimes, you shut down and restart QuickBooks for the update to take effect. If you have QB for multi-users, install the updates on all computers. You can also seek a professional’s advice or assistance if you use QuickBooks in multi-user mode.
Step 1: Automatic update method
This simple method checks Intuit services for new updates. The available updates are only downloaded when you are not using your QuickBooks and the internet. And it will download the available updates when you are not using the internet. To check if the software is running or not, this method itself downloads updates from the Intuit server. You, however, have the choice to disable the automatic update option in case you don’t wish to update your software.
Download and Install Automatic update now
- First of all, the user needs to open the QuickBooks software and then move to the help menu. After that select the Update QuickBooks tab.
- Once done with that, the user needs to click on the Update Now tab, in the update QuickBooks screen.
- The next step in the process is to erase all the previously downloaded updates and then tick mark the reset update box
- Now, select Get updates icon.
- The user needs to end the process to restart the QuickBooks application
Steps to enable or disable the automatic update option for future:
- Go to the help menu and click on update QuickBooks.
- Next, click on the options tab in the Update QuickBooks window.
- Select the option of your choice. After that choose Yes to enable and No to disable the option for QuickBooks.
- Select the update you wish to receive and take out the unnecessary updates from the update section if for enabling automatic update option.
- In case you disable the option, you will stop receiving all not notification even if there are notifications available on the Intuit server. This feature is just to remind you to check updates and doesn’t always mean that an update is available.
- Next, click Save and then Close.
The above mentioned steps are for enabling and disabling the QB update option, you can move on to the next step to update your QuickBooks desktop to the latest release.
Read Also: How to Open qbw File Without QuickBooks?
Step 2: Immediate Update Method
This method lets you download the updates directly from the Intuit server. It does not require QuickBooks to be running in your system and can be used at any time. You can use this method to download updates even if you have enabled Automatic Update. It’s advisable to check for updates at least once a month.
How to check for updates and install them?
- Open QuickBooks and go to the Help menu.
- Click on Update QuickBooks and then Update Now.
- Select the update you want to download and tap on Get Updates. Here, you can also learn what all is included in the update from the Update column. Tap on the Maintenance Release link. A new page will show up with changes/improvements in the update.
- Shut down your QuickBooks. Next time when you will use your QuickBooks, you will receive a prompt to install the update. You can choose to download it now or later. Restart your computer after the installation is complete.
- Consider re-installing the updates in the sequence they appear in. Not following the provided sequence may lead to issues in opening the company file.
Step 3: Release Download
If you are encountering issues with the update feature or you wish to install updates through the update feature, you can continue to download and install available updates. It’s recommended to use the update feature for installing QuickBooks Updates. You must ensure to update all copies in case you use multiple copies of QuickBooks. Not doing this may lead to issues in opening the company file.
QuickBooks Pro and Premier: Download updates for multi-user mode
If you are a QB pro or premier user and use multi-user mode, make sure to install updates on every system. Connect your computers to the internet and download and install the updates. You can also download the update on one computer on the network and later share it.
Steps to share the updates
- Open the shared company files
- Go to the Help menu and click on Update QuickBooks
- Go to the Options tab
- Set Yes for the Share Download option
- Next, hit the Save button
Once you apply all the mentioned steps, the updates that you have downloaded will be shared to all computers. The updates get downloaded at the location in QuickBooks where, after turning on the share option, your company files will be located. Now, you should install new release updates for your QuickBooks company file. Please note that the company files may not remain accessible using the earlier releases of the accounting software after being updated.
Tips to upgrading new QuickBooks Desktop
- Click on your new version of QB Desktop
- Open File menu and select open or restore the company
- Select Company file and then click Next
- Highlight your company data file and click Open.
In case, you receive Move Company File window, perform the following steps:
- Read the company data in the Update Company file for New Version. Click on the checkbox and then Update Now.
- Follow the prompts to create a backup of the files.
Step 4: Get updates from Internet and download QuickBooks (Manual)
- First of all, the user needs to visit the Downloads and Updates page
- After that, from the Select Country drop-down list, click on your country
- And then from the select product drop down, the user needs to select the product accordingly
- Once done with that, make sure to select the version from the Select Version drop-down.
- The next step is to select search option
- Followed by clicking on get updates option
- Towards the end, the user is required to save the downloaded file somewhere that’s easy to spot.
Step 5: Ultralight Patch (ULIP) – Optional
Talking about the ULIP which stands for Ultra Light Patch, it is a characteristic in QuickBooks desktop, where minor but essential repairs can be sent without any release limitation.
It should be kept in mind that the patch release method can continue as it is. Make sure that the essential repairs option is selected before transferring the updates.
Steps for manually updating QuickBooks desktop:
- The user needs to download the latest version and later move all to the company files and QuickBooks
- And then move to the windows start menu and look for the QuickBooks desktop, on QuickBooks desktop give a right click and select the run as admin
- After that, on the no company screen, click on help menu and click on update QuickBooks desktop
- Followed by, clicking on mark all and later select save on the options tab
- The next step is to click on the update now tab and then click on reset update checkbox
- The last step is to click on get updates
Update QuickBooks Desktop for Mac to latest release
For updating QuickBooks desktop for Mac, the user can check out the steps below:
- For in product update, the user is supposed to hover over the drop down menu and then click and select check for QuickBooks updates
- After that, if new version is available, then the user needs to click on install and update
- In the next step, the user might get an alert for selecting install and relaunch
- Once the update process ends, the QuickBooks for Mac will automatically launch
- For manual update, the user will need to uninstall the older version and then reinstall the newer one
- After that, navigate to the QuickBooks product updates to reinstall the latest version
- The next step is to select the desktop version and then download the installer file to the PC
- Now, double click the downloaded .dmg file and then drag the QuickBooks desktop icon to the applications folder to install
Get in touch with professionals for expert assistance!
Here is everything you should know about updating QuickBooks Desktop to the latest release. In case you receive any issue during the process or have any other QB related issue, you can contact our QuickBooks error support team for quick and precise solutions.
Make a quick call at our support number i.e. 1-800-761-1787, and our representatives will be there to assist you in a single call. So why to wait more? Get in touch with us today, and avail the most reliable support services.
People also searched for: