Easy ways to keep your QuickBooks Desktop software to the latest release
QuickBooks is an innovative bookkeeping and accounting software that is used by hundreds of thousands of business owners and accountants around the globe. But in order to make the most of QuickBooks, one must keep it updated to the latest version? QuickBooks update and upgrade are two different things. Upgrade adds valuable features to the software and can only be performed using a CD Rom. If you are planning to update your QuickBooks software, then you can read this quick guide and get the latest updated QuickBooks desktop from the internet directly. These updates are also known as maintenance release for “Patches.” The updates optimize the performance of QuickBooks and also fix many known issues automatically. All these updates come at no extra cost for product releases. You can download these updates to enhance your company’s productivity.
In this article we will explain the entire process of updating the QuickBooks desktop to latest release version. However, in order to accelerate the process of updating, you can also contact our 24/7 QuickBooks support team. We are a hub of tech-savvy accounting professionals, who work the entire day and night to provide the best possible support services to the users. Therefore, do not hesitate to contact us and our representatives will get back to you shortly.
What are the Advantages of Updating QuickBooks Desktop Version?
Updating the QuickBooks desktop version is different from upgrading the version of the merchandise, just as, Intuit frequently releases updates for its various versions of QuickBooks such as 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022 and 2023 whereas this kind of update is released only once a year. There are certain benefits of updating the version of QuickBooks desktop application.
- You will be able to update guarantees better security of the data.
- It also ensures error free user knowledge
- This resolves difficulties to some common security loops and bugs.
- Real time invoice status tracking, improved data file, etc. are some characteristics that are seen while updating QuickBooks.
- Optimization characteristic and more.
You might also like: How to restore deleted company files in QuickBooks?
What Rolls in with QuickBooks Desktop Latest Release?
The latest version of QuickBooks desktop available is the 2023 release. In this particular update, you would get the following new features and functionalities.
Advanced user management feature
Managing the user roles, and permissions according to the requirement is now possible. Further with this particular feature, you an restrict the users to do a particular activity.
You would now be able to send request to the QuickBooks for the second admin.
By updating to the latest version, you can fix the data level permission issue when you are unable to create transactions for unpermitted customers from batch enter transactions due to customer name typing. Also, when the report filter for (>=1) or (=) shows incorrect, then updating to this version would surely help. When a vendor groups with a credit balance greater than 0, and shows incorrect results, in such situation updating to the latest release would fix.
Tax 1099 NEC and MISC
Unlike earlier, QuickBooks support with the 1099 MISC and 1099 NEC and to print and E-filing. It also allows the third-party applications to use the software developer kit for the e-filing.
Inventory aging report
Talking about the inventory aging report, it will inform you the value, quality, age, and acquisition of the stocks. By this, you can ensure about the details of the stock product.
Improvements in online banking
This particular feature will let you to save the customization of columns and create rules for both running money out transactions and money in transactions. You can assign a customer in QuickBooks job to their expenses in their banking transactions table.
How to Check your QuickBooks Desktop is Up-to-Dated or Not?
Before you update your QuickBooks desktop, it should be noted that updating usually takes a slight change to the database. These changes would not create the information file readable with earlier releases. You need to ensure to have the QuickBooks desktop patch. For identifying whether you are having the latest update or not, you need to carry out a couple of steps listed below:
- You need to first open the QuickBooks desktop.
- And then press F2 or Ctrl+1 key for opening the Product information window.
- Next step is to Check the current version and release.
- Verify the available QuickBooks release.
What are the Current release numbers for each version of QuickBooks Desktop
- QuickBooks 2023 R3_103
- QuickBooks 2022 R5_157
- QuickBooks 2021 R10_52
- QuickBooks 2020 R15_52
Steps to Update QuickBooks Desktop to Latest Release (Pro/Premier/Enterprise)
You can update your QuickBooks Desktop automatically or manually. If you enable Automatic Updates, QuickBooks downloads and installs the most recent updates as soon as they are available. You can use these 4 DIY methods to download the update from the internet. Each method would require you to have a fast and reliable internet connection.
- Automatic update method (default setting)
- On-demand (immediate) update method
- Release download
- Manual update
Once you download the updates, all the important company files will automatically be installed to the correct location on your computer. All the updates, post downloading the updates, would automatically be prompted. You would receive a notification to install the update the next time whenever you would start the accounting software. Sometimes, you shut down and restart QuickBooks for the update to take effect. If you have QB for multi-users, install the updates on all computers. You can also seek a professional’s advice or assistance if you use QuickBooks in multi-user mode.
Step 1: Automatic Updates Method
This simple method checks Intuit services for new updates. The available updates are only downloaded when you are not using your QuickBooks and the internet. And it will download the available updates when you are not using the internet. To check if the software is running or not, this method itself downloads updates from the Intuit server. You, however, have the choice to disable the automatic update option in case you don’t wish to update your software.
Download and Install Automatic Updates Now
- First of all you need to Open the QuickBooks software and then move to the Help menu. After that select the Update QuickBooks tab.
- Once done with that, you need to click on the Update Now tab, in the update QuickBooks screen.
- Next step in the process is to erase all the previously downloaded updates and then tick mark the Reset update box.
- Now select Get updates icon.
- You need to end the process to restart the QuickBooks application.
Steps to enable or disable the automatic updates option for future:
- Go to the Help menu and click on Update QuickBooks Desktop.
- Next hit a click on the Options tab in the Update QuickBooks window.
- Select the option of your choice. After that choose Yes to enable and No to disable the option for QuickBooks.
- Select the update you wish to receive and take out the unnecessary updates from the Update section if for enabling automatic update option.
- In case you disable the option, you will stop receiving all not notification even if there are notifications available on the Intuit server. This feature is just to remind you to check updates and doesn’t always mean that an update is available.
- Next hit a click on Save and then Close.
The above-mentioned steps are for enabling and disabling the QuickBooks update option, you can move on to the next step to Update your QuickBooks desktop to the latest release.
Step 2: Immediate Update Method
This method lets you download the updates directly from the Intuit server. It does not require QuickBooks to be running in your system and can be used at any time. You can use this method to download updates even if you have enabled Automatic Update. It’s advisable to check for updates at least once a month.
How to check for updates and install them?
- At first, open your QuickBooks and go to the Help menu.
- After that click on Update QuickBooks and then Update Now.
- Select the update you want to download and tap on Get Updates. Here, you can also learn what all is included in the update from the Update column. Tap on the Maintenance Release link. A new page will show up with Changes/improvements in the update.
- Shut down your QuickBooks. Next time when you will use your QuickBooks, you will receive a prompt to Install the update. You can choose to Download it now or later. Restart your computer after the installation is complete.
- Re-installing the updates in the sequence is a good idea in order they are displayed in. If you do not follow the instructions in sequence, it could cause problems when opening the company file.
Step 3: Release Download
If you are encountering issues with the update feature or you wish to install updates through the update feature, you can continue to download and install available updates. It’s recommended to use the update feature for installing QuickBooks Updates. You must ensure to update all copies in case you use multiple copies of QuickBooks. Not doing this may lead to issues in opening the company file.
QuickBooks Pro and Premier: Download updates for multi-user mode
If you are a QuickBooks pro or premier user and use multi-user mode, make sure to install updates on every system. Connect your computers to the internet and download and install the updates. You can also download the update on one computer on the network and later share it.
Steps to share the updates
- Initially, open the Shared company files.
- Next, go to the Help menu and click on Update QuickBooks.
- Go to the Options tab.
- Set Yes for the Share Download option.
- Next, hit the Save button.
Once you apply all the mentioned steps, the updates that you have downloaded will be shared to all computers. The updates get downloaded at the location in QuickBooks where, after turning on the share option, your company files will be located. Now, you should install new release updates for your QuickBooks company file. Please note that the company files may not remain accessible using the earlier releases of the accounting software after being updated.
Tips for updating new QuickBooks desktop company file
- First of all, hit a click on your New version of QB Desktop.
- Open File menu and select Open or restore the company.
- Select Company file and then click Next tab.
- Highlight your company data file and click Open.
In case, you receive Move Company File window, perform the following steps:
- Read the company data in the Update QuickBooks Company file for New Version. Click on the checkbox and then Update Now.
- Follow the prompts to Create a backup of the files.
Step 4: Get updates from Internet and download QuickBooks (Manual)
You can also download the specific updates directly from our Intuit official website.
- First of all you need to visit the Downloads and Updates page.
- After that, from the Select Country drop-down list, click to select your country.
- And then from the Select Product drop down, you need to select the product accordingly.
- Once done with that, make sure to select the version from the Select Version drop-down.
- Next step is to select Search option.
- Followed by clicking on Get the latest updates option.
- Towards the end, you are required to Save the downloaded file somewhere that’s easy to spot.
- Lastly, open the download file to install the update and restart your computer.
Step 5: Ultralight Patch (ULIP) – Optional
Talking about the ULIP which stands for Ultra Light Patch, it is a characteristic in QuickBooks desktop, where minor but essential repairs can be sent without any release limitation.
It should be kept in mind that the patch release method can continue as it is. Make sure that the essential repairs option is selected before transferring the updates. Steps for manually updating QuickBooks desktop:
- You need to Download the latest version and later move all to the company files and QuickBooks.
- And then Move to the windows start menu and look for the QuickBooks desktop, on QuickBooks desktop give a right click and select the Run as admin.
- After that, on the No company screen, click on Help menu and click on Update QuickBooks desktop.
- Followed by, clicking on Mark all and later select Save on the options tab.
- Next step is to hit a click on the Update now tab and then click on Reset update checkbox.
- The final step is to click on Get updates.
Steps to Update QuickBooks Desktop for MAC to Latest Release
For updating QuickBooks desktop for Mac, you can check out the steps below:
Check the version you have
Open your QuickBooks desktop for Mac and press Command + 1 keys on your keyboard to see the version and release.
- For in product update, you are supposed to hover over the drop down menu and then click and select Check for QuickBooks updates.
- After that, if new version is available, then you need to click on Install and update.
- In the next step, you might get an alert for selecting Install and relaunch.
- Once the update process ends, the QuickBooks for Mac will automatically launch.
- For manual update, you will need to uninstall the older version and then reinstall the newer one.
- After that, navigate to the QuickBooks product updates to reinstall the latest version.
- Next step is to select the Desktop version and then download the installer file to the PC.
- Now double click the Downloaded .dmg file and then drag the QuickBooks desktop icon to the applications folder to install.
What are the latest release numbers for each version of QuickBooks Desktop for Mac?
Following are the latest release versions in QuickBooks desktop for MAC.
- QuickBooks Mac Plus 2023 R1
- QuickBooks Mac Plus 2022 R7
- QuickBooks Mac 2021 R10
- QuickBooks Mac 2020 R14
Here is everything you should know about updating QuickBooks Desktop to the latest release. In case you experience any issues during the process or encounters any other issues, you can contact our QuickBooks error support team for fast and precise solutions.
Make a quick call at our support number i.e. 1-800-761-1787, and our representatives will be there to assist you in a single call. So why to wait more? Get in touch with us today, and avail the most reliable support services.
People also searched for: