Convenient ways to Fix QuickBooks has Stopped Working, Won’t open or Not Responding Issue
QuickBooks Desktop stands at the pinnacle of all the accounting tools available today. It has been employed by millions of accountants and business people around the globe. However, despite its uncountable benefits, QuickBooks users experience several errors while working with the accounting software. One of the most common errors that you may get are as ‘QuickBooks has stopped working‘ or ‘QuickBooks Won’t Open‘ or ‘QuickBooks is not responding‘.
This error can be a result of a plethora of factors, thereby making it extremely arduous to troubleshoot the same. However, in this article, we will discuss all the possible causes, and symptoms, as well as the best possible ways of fixing the QuickBooks has stopped working error. So, let’s without any delay, let’s get started.
If you are short of time or are seeking expert assistance, then don’t worry as our QuickBooks error support team is there to assist you. Our qualified team of experts will ensure that all your issues get solved with the least possible effort and time.
You might also read: What is QuickBooks Error 12152 and how to Resolve it?
QuickBooks Has Stopped Working or Not Responding Appears: Prominent Causes
Sometimes, while working on the software, you might face the issue when the QuickBooks software shuts down unexpectedly. An error message might appear stating as QuickBooks has stopped working.
A Windows-generated error message pops up, stating:
|Warning||A problem caused the program to stop working correctly or Windows is checking for a solution to the problem|
This type of error can be quite annoying for QuickBooks users to handle, as it not only hinders the smooth process but may also end up in the loss of unsaved data.
Causes behind QuickBooks has stopped working issue
There are a handful of causes that may result in this error. This section contains some of the most common factors that might result in this issue. These include:
- The QBWUSER.INI file present on the device or the network is either disintegrated or corrupted.
- A hard drive attached to the device is damaged and is not completely accessible.
- It can occur if the QuickBooks Desktop stops proper functioning or the QuickBooks desktop freezes.
- The program file itself is corrupted.
- The company file name may be too large in size and is causing the software to lag hence crashing the QuickBooks Desktop software.
- The Windows operating system has some of the files damaged.
QuickBooks has stopped working issue: Symptoms
It is important that you must be able to identify the symptoms of the problem as it can help you get the error fixed quickly. So, if you come across any of these symptoms mentioned below, make sure that you follow the troubleshooting methods discussed in the subsequent sections of this article. The primary symptoms include:
- QuickBooks Desktop does not open.
- The device freezes regularly and does not respond to the input commands.
- O/S shuts down without stating any reason.
- QuickBooks Desktop software stops working and crashes.
- You will get the QuickBooks stopped working error message repeatedly.
Check this also: Top solutions to resolve QuickBooks error code 6210
Methods to Resolve QuickBooks Not Responding Error When Opening Company File
As there are multiple factors that can lead to this error, likewise there are several methods to fix it. Conforming to these methods will ensure that the software is fixed completely from the ‘QuickBooks has stopped working or not responding error‘. To get rid of this problem, you have to follow the given instructions.
- Initially, restart your PC.
- Open the QuickBooks accounting software.
Using Shortcut keys for opening the QuickBooks software
- Hit on the Start tab and afterward, choose the All programs tab.
- Right-click on QuickBooks.
- Press the Ctrl key and then open up the QuickBooks software.
Method 1: Restart the PC and Turn off the anti-virus software temporarily
- Initiate the methods by restarting the system.
- In case the error still pops up, turn off the anti-virus program along with the Windows defender.
- Restart the device again to check if the error got uprooted.
Method 2: Adopting the QuickBooks System Repair tool
- Initially, you need to download the QuickBooks System Repair Tool on your device.
- After that, save the downloaded file to a new location from where you can browse it easily (We suggest you store the file on the downloads folder or on your desktop).
- Afterward, close all the existing programs running in the background. Once done, run the program and install the QuickBooks file doctor tool.
- Once the installation process is completed, browse the company file and click on Continue to initiate the process.
- This process will take about 20 minutes. Once the scanning is complete, restart the PC to complete the process.
If the foregoing solutions did not fix the QuickBooks has stopped working issue, then we recommend you to proceed to the Method 3.
Method 3: Accessing the file from a new folder location
- Start by hitting the Win + E keys together. This will open a new window.
- Here, locate the data file with the .qbw extension.
- Right-click on it and hit on Copy. Afterward, go to C: drive and Create a new folder there.
- Now, name this newly created folder as ‘QBTEST’.
- Enter this QBTEST Folder and then paste the data file into it (by hitting the Ctrl + V keys together).
- Once done, open QuickBooks by holding the CTRL key.
- Afterward, hit on Open or Restore an Existing Company and choose the QBTEST folder to complete the process.
Method 4: Rename the ‘QB.INI’ file
- Renaming the .ini file deletes all the rundown records, it is, therefore, essential to alter the file name. This shall prevent the software from accessing the file. As a walkway, QuickBooks shall create a new file.
- Alter the name of the Entitlement file which is DataStore.ecml.
- Restart the PC and try opening QuickBooks Desktop again.
Method 5: Open QuickBooks Tool Hub and Run Quick Fix my Program
Step 1: Firstly download and install the QuickBooks Tool Hub
QuickBooks tool hub program has the capability to fix certain errors on its own. The steps involved in here are as follows:
- To begin with, you need to close QuickBooks.
- Next, download the QuickBooks tool hub file. Also, save the file somewhere you can access it easily.
- After that find and open the downloaded file and double-click on it to run the program.
- Carry out the on-screen instructions for installing and Agreeing to the terms and conditions.
- Follow it up by double-clicking the icon on the Windows desktop to open the Tool hub after the install process ends.
Step 2: Run the Quick Fix My Program from the QuickBooks Tool Hub
The point to be noted here is that if there are any open background processes the software uses, the quick fix will shut down all of them automatically. This tool will also run a quick repair on the program.
- Talking about this process, you will have to select the Program problems in the tool hub program.
- After that, choose Quick fix my program opt.
- Now open your QuickBooks, along with the company file.
- At last, check the QuickBooks has stopped working error or Won’t open issue has waved off.
Method 6: Use Clean Install Tool or QuickBooks install diagnostic tool from Tools Hub
Step 1: Run QuickBooks clean install tool first
The clean install tool automatically renames the old install folders. This permits the software, to add new install files at the time of re-install:
- You need to open the tool hub, if not opened already.
- In the QuickBooks tool hub, you need to choose the Installation issues.
- After it, hit on the Clean install tool, followed by hitting on the OK option.
- Now choose the QuickBooks and product versions opt, followed by clicking on the Continue tab.
- Now hit on the OK option, when the message stating “Please install the copy of QuickBooks to the default location” gets displayed on the screen.
Step 2: Run QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool
Downloading and running QuickBooks install diagnostic tool can fix the issue automatically, with a few simple steps. The steps to be followed in this process are as follows:
- At first, open the QuickBooks tools hub program on your system.
- Also, proceed to the Installation issues tab and choose QuickBooks Install diagnostic tool option.
- Once done, wait for at least 20 mins, as this process might be a bit time-consuming.
- After the Scan process ends, the tool will diagnose and fix the issue on its own.
- To save changes, reboot the system.
Related Article: How can you fix this QuickBooks Error code C=43?
Method 7: Create a new Windows admin user
You can create a new Windows admin user in case the Windows installation is damaged. The steps involved in this process are as follows:
- At first, press the Start tab and then open the Control panel.
- After that hit the Add or remove user accounts link.
- You will see the Manage accounts dialog box. Hit on Create a new account option.
- Type in the Account name and then choose the Create admin account option.
- Afterward, hit on the Create Account tab.
- Open the company file using the New admin account created, and check whether the QuickBooks Not Working or Not Responding Error still stands its ground.
Method 8: Run the QuickBooks Refresher tool
- In the inception, close the QuickBooks software.
- After that download the QuickBooks refresher tool and save the file on the computer.
- Now hit on the Run option, when the download process completes, and execute the QBRefresher tool.
- Hit a click on the Fix my QuickBooks option. Now, the tool will automatically diagnose the issue and will fix it on its own.
- Lastly, open the QuickBooks and verify the issue.
Steps to Fix QuickBooks Stopped Working After Windows 10 Update Issue
If you ended up in QuickBooks stopped working issues after the installation of the Windows 10 update, then the steps below can help you out:
- Proceed to the Control panel and then choose the Windows firewall.
- Choose the Advanced settings option and also hit on the Outbound rules options.
- Moving ahead, hit on the New rule tab and also opt for the Program checkbox.
- After that select the Next tab.
- Also, check this Program path option and then copy the location of QuickBooks.
- You should also select the Block the connection option and then click on the Public, private, or domain checkbox.
- To conclude, Rename it and click on the Finish tab.
This article contained all the essential information that you need in order to uproot the QuickBooks has stopped working issue. All the methods contained in this article are to be followed in the given sequence. However, in case you encounter the same issue even after trying out all the fixes, then in that case please contact our QuickBooks enterprise customer support team for further assistance. Our diligent team of experts will ensure that all your QuickBooks-related queries get addressed.
Our U.S based support team is accessible 24X7 via the support line i.e., 1-800-761-1787, or you can also directly chat with our executives. We will provide the best support possible. So what are you waiting for? Reach out to us today.
Other helpful articles to read: