Here are the expert tips to Fix QuickBooks has stop working or not responding problem
QuickBooks Desktop is one of the most-used accounting software in the world and has a global user base. To ensure that the users get the best experience of the software, Intuit offers regular updates as well as bug fixes. Though, despite these updates, QB users receive some errors from time to time. One of these commonly found errors is “QuickBooks has stopped working error.” This error can be a result of a plethora of factors and that is why it gets difficult to fix it. But, in this article, we will discuss all the potential causes, symptoms as well as methods to fix the QuickBooks has stopped working error. So, let’s get started.
But if in case, you are short of time, or you are seeking for expert assistance, then need not to worry as QuickBooks error support team is there to rescue you. All you’ll have to do is to ring up at our toll-free number i.e. 1-888-383-0323. Our team of experts and qualified professionals, will ensure to fix the issues for you in the least possible time. Thus, get in touch with us today, and don’t miss the chance to save your valuable time and efforts.
You might also read: How to Fix QuickBooks error code 12152?
What is QuickBooks has stopped working error?
At times, while working on the software, the user hits the issue when the QuickBooks app quits unexpectedly. The user might see an error message stating QuickBooks has stopped working. A windows generated error message stating:
“A problem caused the program to stop working correctly or Windows is checking for a solution to the problem”
This kind of error can be quite irritating for the users, as it hinders the smooth process and at times it might also end up in losing the unsaved data.
What are the causes of QuickBooks has stopped working issue?
As we have mentioned in the introduction, there are a handful of causes that can result in this error. Now, here are some of the most common factors that might result in this issue:
- The QBWUSER.INI file present on the device or the network is either disintegrated or corrupted.
- The hard drive attached to the device is damaged and is not completely accessible.
- It can occur if the QuickBooks Desktop stops proper functioning or QuickBooks desktop freezes.
- It can occur if the program file itself is corrupted.
- The company file name is too big and is causing the software to lag hence crashing the QuickBooks Desktop software.
- It can occur if the Windows operating system has some of the files damaged.
Symptoms of QuickBooks has stopped working issue
It is important that the users are able to find the symptoms of the issue as it can help them to get the error fixed quickly. So, if you come across any of these symptoms mentioned below while using the software then make sure that you follow the methods that we have discussed in the article further below:
- QuickBooks Desktop does not open
- The device will freeze regularly and will not respond to the input commands
- The operating system shuts down without any reason whatsoever
- QuickBooks Desktop stops working and crashes while using it.
Check this also: QuickBooks unrecoverable error and it’s troubleshooting
Methods to fix QuickBooks has stopped working or not responding issue
As there are several factors that can cause this error, we need to ensure that we go through a couple of methods for fixing it. This will ensure that the device is completely fixed from the ‘QuickBooks has stopped working’ error.
Method #1: Restarting the device and Turing off the anti-virus software for a limited time
- Start with restarting the device
- In case the error still pops up, turn off the anti-virus program along with the windows defender
- Restart the device again to complete the process.
Method #2: By using QuickBooks System Repair tool
- Start by downloading QuickBooks System Repair Tool on your device.
- Save the file on a location from where you can browse it later without any issues, we recommend storing the files on the desktop.
- Now, close all the existing programs that are running in the background. Once done, run the program and install QuickBooks file doctor tool.
- After the installation is completed, browse the company file and click on continue to initiate the process
- This process will take about 20 minutes, once the scanning is complete restart the console to complete the process.
Method #3: Accessing the file from a new folder location on the device
- Start by pressing the Windows + E keys together on your keyboard, this will open a new window
- Here, file the data file which will have the .qbw extension
- After you have located the file, right-click on it and click on Copy
- Now, go to C: drive and create a new folder there
- Name this folder as ‘QBTEST’
- Enter this QBTEST Folder and then paste the data file in it.
- Once done file is pasted in the folder open QuickBooks by holding on the CTRL key
- Here, click on Open or Restore an Existing Company and select the QBTEST folder to complete the process.
Method #4: By assigning a different file name to the QB.INI file
- As renaming the .ini file deletes all the rundown records, it is essential to physically re-open the organization file and then altering the file name
- Alter the name of the Entitlement file which is DataStore.ecml
- Restart the device and try opening QuickBooks Desktop again.
Read Also: Methods to fix QuickBooks error 80070057
Method #5: Open QuickBooks Tool Hub and Run Quick Fix my Program
Step 1: Firstly, download and install the QuickBooks Tool Hub
QuickBooks tool hub has the capability to fix certain errors on its own. The steps involved in here are as follows:
- To begin with, the user needs to close QuickBooks
- After that, download the QuickBooks tool hub file. Also, save the file somewhere you can access it easily
- Now, open the file downloaded in the above steps
- And also, carry out the onscreen instructions for installing and agreeing to the terms and conditions
- Followed by double clicking the icon on the windows desktop to open the tool hub after the install process ends
Step 2: Run the Quick Fix My Program from the QuickBooks Tool Hub
The point to be noted here is that if there are any open background processes the software uses, the quick fix will shut down all of them automatically. This tool will also run a quick repair on the program.
- Talking about this process, the user will have to select the program problems in QuickBooks tool hub
- And also choose the quick fix my program
- And lastly, open the QuickBooks desktop, along with the company file
Method #6: Use Clean Install Tool from QuickBooks Tool Hub
The clean install tool automatically renames the old install folders for the user. This permits the software, to add new install files at the time of re-install:
- The user needs to open the tool hub, if not opened already.
- And then, in the QuickBooks tool hub, the user needs to select the Installation issues.
- After that, click on the clean install tool, followed by selecting OK option.
- The next step in the process is to select the QuickBooks and product versions, followed by clicking on Continue option.
- Lastly, the user needs to select OK option, when the message stating “Please install the copy of QuickBooks to the default location” gets displayed on the screen.
Method #7: Creating a new windows admin user
The user can create a new windows admin user, in case the windows installation is damaged. The steps involved in this process are as follows:
- The very first step in this process is to press the Start tab and then open Control panel
- After that, the user needs to hit Add or remove user accounts link
- Once done with that, the user will see manage accounts dialog box, and then click on create a new account option
- The next step in the process is to type in account name and then select the create admin account
- After that create account tab is to be selected
- And lastly, open the company file using new admin account created, and check whether the issue persists
Method #8: Use QuickBooks install diagnostic tool
Downloading and running QuickBooks install diagnostic tool can fix the issue automatically, with a few simple steps. The steps to be followed in this process are as follows:
- Open QuickBooks tools hub program on your system.
- After that go to the Installation issues tab and choose QuickBooks Install diagnostic tool option.
- Once done with that, the user needs to wait for at-least 20 mins, as this process might be a bit time consuming
- After the scan process ends, the tool will diagnose and fix the issue on its own
- To save changes, reboot the system.
Method #9: Download and run QuickBooks Refresher tool
- In this method, the user will have to close the QuickBooks software
- And then, download the QuickBooks refresher tool
- After that, the user needs to Save the file on the system
- The next step in the process is to hit Run option, when the download process completes, and execute the QBRefresher tool
- Hit a click on Fix my QuickBooks option. Now, the tool will automatically diagnose the issue and will fix it on its own.
- The last step in the process is to open the QuickBooks and verify the issue.
These are all the information that you should know in order to get your way around QuickBooks has stopped working issue. All these methods are to be followed in the given sequence. This will ensure that the error is handled appropriately. In case you encounter the error even after going through all the fixes, contact our QuickBooks enterprise customer support team for further help.
Contact us via our toll-free number i.e. 1-888-383-0323, or you can also chat with our executives. Reach us today, and we will ensure the best support services.
Other helpful articles to read: