Here are the 8 Tips & Tricks to Fix QuickBooks has stop working or not responding problem
QuickBooks Desktop is a popular accounting software that has been used by millions around the globe. Intuit provides regular updates and bug fixes to ensure you have the best possible experience with the software. Though, despite these updates, you might experience some errors from time to time. One of these commonly found error is “QuickBooks has stopped working” or “QuickBooks not responding” issue. This error can be a result of a plethora of factors and that is why it gets difficult to troubleshoot. But, in this article, we will discuss all the possible causes, symptoms as well as best ways to fix the QuickBooks has stopped working error. So, let’s get started.
But if in case, you are short of time or you are seeking for expert assistance, then don’t worry as QuickBooks error support team is there to help you. Our qualified team of experts will ensure to solve the issues for you in the least possible efficiently time and save your valuable time and efforts.
You might also read: What is QuickBooks Error 12152 and how to Resolve it?
Why Error: QuickBooks has stopped working or not responding appears?
Sometimes, while working on the software, you might hit the issue when the QuickBooks program quits unexpectedly. An error message might appear stating as QuickBooks has stopped working.
A Windows generated error message stating:
|Warning||“A problem caused the program to stop working correctly or Windows is checking for a solution to the problem”|
This type of error can be quite irritating for users to handle, as it hinders the smooth process and at times it might also end up in losing the unsaved data.
Causes of QuickBooks has stopped working issue
As we have mentioned in the introduction, there are a handful of causes that can result in this error. Now, here are some of the most common factors that might result in this issue:
- The QBWUSER.INI file present on the device or the network is either disintegrated or corrupted.
- A hard drive attached to the device is damaged and is not completely accessible.
- It can occur if the QuickBooks Desktop stops proper functioning or QuickBooks desktop freezes.
- If the program file itself is corrupted.
- The company file name is too big and is causing the software to lag hence crashing the QuickBooks Desktop software.
- It may occur if the Windows operating system has some of the files damaged.
Symptoms of QuickBooks is not working issue
It is important that the you are able to identify the symptoms of the problem as it can help you to get the error fixed quickly. So, if you come across any of these symptoms mentioned below then make sure that you follow the methods that we have discussed in the article provided below:
- QuickBooks Desktop does not open.
- The device will freeze regularly and will not respond to the input commands.
- Your OS shuts down without any reason whatsoever.
- QuickBooks Desktop program stops working and crashes while using it.
- You will get QB has stopped working error message repeatedly.
Check this also: Top solutions to resolve QuickBooks error code 6210
Methods to resolve QuickBooks has stopped working or not responding issue
As there are multiple factors that can lead to this error, we need to make sure that we use a couple of methods to fix it. This will ensure that the software is fixed completely from the ‘QuickBooks has stopped working or not responding error‘. To get rid of this sort of QB error, you must have to follow the given instructions.
- You have to restart your system.
- Open QuickBooks accounting software.
Using Shortcut keys for opening the QuickBooks software
- Hit a click on Start tab and also click on all programs tab and also right click on QuickBooks.
- Press Ctrl key and then open up the QuickBooks software.
Method #1: Restarting the device and Turing off the anti-virus software for a limited time
- Start with restarting the device.
- In case the error still pops up, turn off the anti-virus program along with the Windows defender.
- Restart the device again to complete the process.
Method #2: By using QuickBooks System Repair tool
- Start by downloading QuickBooks System Repair Tool on your device.
- Save the file on a location from where you can browse it later without any issues, we recommend storing the files on the desktop.
- Next, close all the existing programs that are running in the background. Once done, run the program and install QuickBooks file doctor tool.
- Once the installation is completed, browse the company file and click on continue to initiate the process.
- This process will take about 20 minutes, once the scanning is complete restart the console to complete the process.
If the two solutions has not fixed your QuickBooks has stopped working issue then we recommend you to proceed to the next methods,
Method #3: Accessing the file from a new folder location on the device
- Start by pressing the Windows + E keys together on your keyboard, this will open a new window.
- Here, find the data file which will have the .qbw extension.
- Right-click on it and click on Copy and then go to C: drive and create a new folder there.
- Now name this folder as ‘QBTEST’.
- Enter this QBTEST Folder and then paste the data file in it.
- Once done file is pasted in the folder open QuickBooks by holding on the CTRL key.
- After that hit a click on Open or Restore an Existing Company and select the QBTEST folder to complete the process.
Method #4: By assigning a different file name to the QB.INI file
- As renaming the .ini file deletes all the rundown records, it is essential to physically re-open the organization file and then altering the file name.
- Alter the name of the Entitlement file which is DataStore.ecml.
- Restart the device and try opening QuickBooks Desktop again.
Method #5: Open QuickBooks Tool Hub and Run Quick Fix my Program
Step 1: Firstly download and install the QuickBooks Tool Hub
QuickBooks tool hub program has the capability to fix certain errors on its own. The steps involved in here are as follows:
- To begin with, you need to close QuickBooks.
- Next, download the QuickBooks tool hub file. Also, save the file somewhere you can access it easily.
- Open the file downloaded find the file and double click on it.
- Carry out the onscreen instructions for installing and agreeing to the terms and conditions.
- Followed by double clicking the icon on the Windows desktop to open the tool hub after the install process ends.
Step 2: Run the Quick Fix My Program from the QuickBooks Tool Hub
The point to be noted here is that if there are any open background processes the software uses, the quick fix will shut down all of them automatically. This tool will also run a quick repair on the program.
- Talking about this process, you will have to select the program problems in tool hub program.
- Choose the quick fix my program opt.
- Open the QuickBooks desktop, along with the company file.
- At last, check the QuickBooks has stopped working error has waved off.
Method #6: Use Clean Install Tool or QuickBooks install diagnostic tool from Tools Hub
Step 1: Run QuickBooks clean install tool first
The clean install tool automatically renames the old install folders. This permits the software, to add new install files at the time of re-install:
- You need to open the tool hub, if not opened already.
- In the QuickBooks tool hub, you need to choose the Installation issues.
- Hit a click on the clean install tool, followed by selecting OK option.
- Select the QuickBooks and product versions, followed by clicking on Continue option.
- Select OK option, when the message stating “Please install the copy of QuickBooks to the default location” gets displayed on the screen.
Step 2: Now Run QuickBooks install diagnostic tool
Downloading and running QuickBooks install diagnostic tool can fix the issue automatically, with a few simple steps. The steps to be followed in this process are as follows:
- Open QuickBooks tools hub program on your system.
- Go to the Installation issues tab and choose QuickBooks Install diagnostic tool option.
- Once done with that, you need to wait for at-least 20 mins, as this process might be a bit time consuming.
- After the scan process ends, the tool will diagnose and fix the issue on its own.
- To save changes, reboot the system.
Method #7: Creating a new Windows admin user
You can create a new Windows admin user, in case the Windows installation is damaged. The steps involved in this process are as follows:
- Press the Start tab and then open Control panel.
- Hit Add or remove user accounts link.
- Once done with that, you will see manage accounts dialog box, and then click on create a new account option.
- Type in account name and then select the create admin account.
- Create account tab is to be selected.
- Open the company file using new admin account created, and check whether the QuickBooks Not Working or Not Responding Error persists.
Method #8: Download and run QuickBooks Refresher tool
- In this method, you will have to close the QuickBooks software.
- Download the QuickBooks refresher tool and save the file on the system.
- Now hit on Run option, when the download process completes, and execute the QBRefresher tool.
- Hit a click on Fix my QuickBooks option. Now, the tool will automatically diagnose the issue and will fix it on its own.
- Lastly, open the QuickBooks and verify the issue.
How to Fix QuickBooks Stopped working problem after Windows 10 update?
If you ended up in QuickBooks stopped working issues after the installation of Windows 10 update, then the steps below can be performed:
- Move to the control panel and then select Windows firewall.
- Select the advanced settings option and also choose outbound rules options.
- Moving ahead, click on the new rule tab and also select program checkbox.
- Select next tab.
- Check this program path option and then copy the location of QuickBooks.
- You should also select the block the connection option and then click on the public, private, or domain checkbox.
- Towards the end, rename it and click on finish tab.
These are all the essential information that you should need to know in order to solve QuickBooks has stopped working or not responding issue. All these methods are to be followed in the given sequence. However, in case you encounter the same issue even trying all the fixes, then in that case please contact our QuickBooks enterprise customer support team for further assistance.
Our U.S based support team is easily available 24X7 via our support line i.e., 1-800-761-1787, or you can also directly chat with our executives. We will provide the best support possible, so reach out to us today.
Other helpful articles to read: