All that you needed to know about resolving the error: Could not connect to the email server when using webmail in QuickBooks Desktop:
With Intuit’s introduction of QuickBooks to the world, the face of accounting and bookkeeping has considerably changed over the years. Once seen as a very complicated and time taking task now has become simplified and hassle with the coming of this software. In fact, many businesses irrespective of their sizes have benefitted considerably. Every year Intuit launches new updates of the application consisting of new and improved features in order to make business operations all the more seamless.
Error or technical glitches in QuickBooks is not uncommon, after all it is just a software. Most of the errors can be resolved easily but for some expert guidance is required. A common issue faced by users these days is the error ‘Could not connect to the email server’. Users generally encounter this issue when they use the web mail in QuickBooks Desktop and enter the email and password. So, this article is all about this error and how you can resolve the issue in a hassle-free way.
At the time you use the webmail in QuickBooks desktop, after entering your email and password, you may get the following error message on your computer screen:
|Warning||Couldn’t Connect to Email Server: We were unable to connect to the email server for your email provider|
|Or||QuickBooks was unable to send your form for the following reason: QuickBooks was able to connect to the remote server but could not understand the server’s response. Please try again to see if the problem has been corrected on the server.|
Causes of Could not connect the email server error in QuickBooks
You may see “Couldn’t Connect to Email Server: We were unable to connect to the email server for your email provider” due to the following reasons:
- Your internet connection is not great, or you are not connected to the internet.
- When your email server settings are not properly configured.
- You have used a wrong ID or password when you tried logging into your email.
- You may not be using the updated version of QuickBooks Desktop application.
- In case the Internet Explorer settings is not don’t properly then it might hinder the internet connects with the email server.
- When QuickBooks do not have the required admin rights on Windows.
Related Post: Easy Methods to Fix QuickBooks error 6150 and 1006
3 DIY Solutions for Fixing Error: Could not connect to the email server when using webmail in QuickBooks
Follow the below mentioned instructions in order to troubleshoot the QuickBooks could not connect the Email Server Error.
Solution 1: Verify the settings under webmail preferences
- First, open QuickBooks Desktop and from under the Edit tab click on Preferences.
- After that from the left side of the screen you have to click on Send Forms.
- Now select the Email account that you are using to send emails from under ;My Preferences tab.
- Click on Edit and from the Edit Email Info window navigate to the SMTP Server Details area.
- Once done you will be required to enter the correct server name and port number. For reference visit Common Email Server Addresses (POP3 / IMAP / SMTP). Know how to Set up your email service in QuickBooks Desktop for a list of SMTP Server and Ports.
- Once done, you will have to save the settings and now make an attempt to send an invoice once again using QuickBooks Webmail.
Solution 2: Reset your Internet Explorer to the Default Settings
- The first thing you have to do is open the Internet Explorer and then click on the Gear icon at the top right corner of the window.
- Now choose Internet Options and then navigate to the Advanced tab.
- Click on the Restore Advanced Settings tab and then on OK.
- Once done, you have to exit Internet Explorer and then try to send the email once again.
Solution 3: Update your QuickBooks to the Latest release
In order to fix error: Could not connect to the email server, update your QuickBooks desktop to latest release. Following are the quick steps to follow:
- The very first step is to visit the Update to the Latest release page.
- After that ensure the product is selected. In case it is not, then you have to visit the Change link and then choose the QuickBooks product.
- Now, you have to select the update button in order to download the update file.
- Once done, the final step is to choose the Setup automatic updates to set QuickBooks to automatically download and also install the latest updates in the near future and avoid hassles of not using latest updates.
After following the steps given above, there may be a time where you might see that your antivirus program is blocking the outgoing mails. In these situations, it is best to speak with your IT expert to prevent any further issues. If the error continues to persist, you can try the following procedure based on the error messages you may receive.
If you continue to receive the error message even after trying all these three different solutions, it is possible to follow the suggestion to the problem.
|You are not connected to the internet or your firewall is blocking the connection||Try to open Internet Explorer and access a web site.|
|Your email server settings are incorrect||Verify you have the correct settings by following the steps outlined in Solution 2.|
|You entered an incorrect email address or password||Log in to your email account through a web browser and check if your email address and password works.|
Important: If you’re receiving this error message even though you don’t use web email, it may be due to a system problem. You need to create a new Windows administrator user to fix the problem.
Fixing the QuickBooks Couldn’t Connect to Email Server error is not very complex to troubleshoot. But, if the problem persists after following the above given 3 DIY methods, then you have to seek assistance from our QuickBooks enterprise support team who are available 24/7 to guide you with all the queries. Our representatives are available round the clock at 1-800-761-1787 to assist you in your all issues related to accounting and bookkeeping.