Learn the best ways to resolve the QuickBooks error code 6010, 100:
QuickBooks accounting software has been contributing significantly to the growth of hundreds of thousands of businesses worldwide. It’s a primary choice for small and mid-sized businesses for its user-friendliness and wide range of features. Intuit, the makers of QuickBooks, brings a new version and adds new and improved features to it every year to keep it error-free. Some issues, however, still keep showing up on the user’s screens.
QuickBooks error code 6010 is a common QB error that users often face due to access to the network being denied. It can show up on your computer screen if the system firewall or anti-virus blocks QuickBooks from accessing the network. This error may also occur while reinstalling QuickBooks Desktop. In this article, we will describe the reasons and troubleshooting methods to fix this error.
You will receive the following error message on your desktop screen when error 6010 occurs:
An error occurred. Your QuickBooks installation may have been modified. Try re-installing QuickBooks and then try again” (-6010, -100).
If you have received the warning message as mentioned above, we recommend you read this article till the end. You should carry out the troubleshooting methods provided in this article. Try one solution and see if the issue is fixed. Move on to the next if the error persists. Alternatively, you can also call our toll-free i.e. 1-800-761-1787 and speak to our QuickBooks desktop support experts for quick and precise solutions of any QuickBooks related issues.
What do you mean by QuickBooks error 6010, 100?
QuickBooks error code 6010, 100, implies that QuickBooks cannot access or use the network due to firework or anti-virus settings. Another situation when this error occurs is when for some reasons, QuickBooks is reinstalled. These, however, are just two of the various reasons that lead to this error. Further in this post, we will tell you the other common causes that trigger this error and solutions that have been tested by our experts.
What Causes QuickBooks Error 6010, 100?
There might be various reasons that can causes this error. Below are some of the common reasons behind to the QuickBooks error 6010, -100, that will help in finding the right solutions.
- If the .ND files are disconnected from the files that end with .QBW and TLG.
- Firewall or antivirus programs is not allowing QuickBooks desktop to access the network.
- The system’s framework requires cleaning.
- The QuickBooks related registry files are removed by any registry-optimizing applications in the system.
- User is not able to access QuickBooks as blockage is caused by anti-virus programs like ESET NOD32.
- When a 3rd party app downloaded on Windows that deletes the important registry files.
- Installation of QuickBooks software might have been changed.
Solutions to QuickBooks error code 6010 100
To resolve QuickBooks error code 6010 follow the below given solution methods. If any method is not working for you then you need to skip it and try the next method:
Solution 1: Repair the company file
The very first method is to repair the company file. Many times, if the company file is corrupted or damaged, the user might face such an error. The user can repair the company file by carrying out the steps below:
- The first step is to open the folder that has stored the company file.
- Now, look for the file which has .QBW extension.
- After that, select the Copy option by right-clicking on the file.
- Once done with that, the user is supposed to click on Paste option.
- Now, hold the Ctrl key in order to open the QuickBooks application.
- After this, you will come across the option No Company Open.
- The next step is to click on Open or restore an existing company.
- The last step is to launch the company file and check if still the error 6010 is there or not.
Read Also: What is QuickBooks error codes 6000 95?
Solution 2: Close the Processes and set QuickBooks to Single User Mode
Another solution is to close the processes and then set QuickBooks to single-user mode. The steps involved in this procedure are as follows:
- First of all, using the Administrator credentials, log into the PC.
- Now press Ctrl + Shift +Esc keys and launch Task Manager.
- After this choose the Users option.
- Once done, you have to highlight all QuickBooks processes like qbupdate.exe, EXE and QBDBM.exe.
- Now click on End Task in multi-user mode.
- To check if the QuickBooks error 6010 has been resolved or not, launch the company file.
Solution 3: Utilize QuickBooks Database Server Manager
If the above method didn’t work for you, then you need to use the QuickBooks database server manager. This would resolve the issue up to a certain extent.
- The first thing to do is download QuickBooks Tools Hub and save it to your computer.
- After that find out the downloaded file named as QuickBooksToolsHub.exe and double click it to run the setup.
- Hit a click to Allow this app to make changes on your PC.
- Now click on Next option to install this tool on your system.
- Hit a click on Next to Accept the license agreement and the click on Install.
Note: This will take few seconds to install it on your computer. Once the procedure done! click on finish.
- Once the QuickBooks Tools Hub successfully installed on your computer, click on the Icon to launch it.
- Now on the tools hub, go to the network issues and click on QuickBooks database server manager option.
- Scan the company file location and then click on the Scan Folders tab.
- Next, browse and choose the folder and files that stores your company file (.QBW).
- Now click on OK and then click on Start Scan option.
- Once all is done, you can now log into your company files.
Solution 4: Give a new name to the .ND extension
Giving a new name to the .ND extension can also be a great solution to this error. The steps to be followed for this are as follows:
- First open the Company file which has the .ND extension.
- After this access the company file where the error 6010 is occurring.
- Right click on it, once you have found it.
- From the drop down menu select Rename option.
- While renaming you need to add ‘Old’ as an extension (for ex. My company.qbw.ND.old).
- Now open QuickBooks desktop.
Solution 5: Stop Hosting Multi-user Access
In case you are still facing the same error, then the user can stop hosting multi-user access. The steps to be followed over here are as follows:
- First select the File and then launch the QuickBooks File Menu.
- Now you have to go to Utilities and then choose Stop hosting multi-user access.
- After this restart QuickBooks.
- Once done, click on the Programs settings and turn off the Internet Monitor feature.
- In case, your computer has ESET NOD32 anti-virus application you have to give a new name to the file by adding ‘Old’ in the extension.
- Once done, now restart QuickBooks software.
Read this also: How to Recover lost data with QuickBooks auto data recovery?
Solution 6: Re-install QuickBooks software
The last method that one can opt for is to reinstall QuickBooks software and try fixing the error. This can be done by carrying out the steps below:
- First thing to do is to tap on the Start button and then go to the Control Panel option.
- Now click on Uninstall a Program.
- You have to now uninstall the QuickBooks application.
- Now you have to select the version of QuickBooks that you want to install in your computer and then select Continue.
- Lastly tap on OK and then install the application.
This article is created after consulting our experts. We hope you find it helpful in getting rid of the QuickBooks error code 6010, 100. In case the issue persists, reappears, or you face any QuickBooks-related other problems, please contact our QuickBooks error technical support number, i.e. 1(800)-761-1787 and one of our well-trained and certified experts will help you. Our well-trained experts are available 24/7 on call or via email to assist through any accounting issues or queries.
Other helpful articles: