The occurrence of error codes and technical glitches in QuickBooks is quite common. Time and again, users get perturbed by the disruptions caused due to these errors. One such error that has recently troubled QB users is the QuickBooks BEX Error. This error can have excruciating repercussions on your QuickBooks program, causing damage to your QuickBooks files, besides causing issues in specific Windows applications as well. This post has covered all relevant information to resolve QuickBooks BEX Error. So make sure that you stick to this blog till its conclusion. For live technical support, feel no hesitation to reach out at the helpline at 1-800-761-1787.
An Overview Of The QuickBooks Desktop BEX Error
BEX is the abbreviation for Buffer Overflow Exception. This error typically obstructs QB users when a program attempts to store an excessive amount of data on a memory block. Consequently, an error message pops up, which puts a complete halt to your QuickBooks operations.
Points to note before performing the steps to resolve QuickBooks BEX Error
The following information should be taken into account and implemented accordingly before you attempt to resolve the QuickBooks BEX Error:
- Verify that the file name for the company is no longer than 35 characters. If so, change the file’s name to make it shorter.
- Make sure you are not running QuickBooks Desktop 2014 or an earlier version because Windows 10 does not support them.
- Exclude QuickBooks from your anti-virus and Firewall lists.
- Use the Clean Install Tool to reinstall QuickBooks in order to repair a broken installation.
- You should check your hard disc if you experience the same problem when using other Windows software.
- Upgrading your QuickBooks desktop application is a remedy to a plethora of QuickBooks issues, the BEX error being one of them.
- The Windows operating system should be updated frequently. It is advisable to enable automatic updates because, most of the time, users overlook the update process.
- To check for broken or damaged sectors on your hard drive, you should conform to the use of the Windows disc checking tool.
You may read also: Steps to resolve QuickBooks desktop POS error 1706
Easy Methods to Resolve QuickBooks BEX Error
Below are earmarked easy, yet effective, methods that you can perform in order to resolve QB BEX error:
1st Method: Update Windows Operating System
If you haven’t updated your Windows, it is advised to do the same. At times, an out-to-date operating system might also evoke the QuickBooks BEX Error. As such, updating Windows to the latest release becomes extremely essential. For that, you should follow the below-given procedure:
- To initiate the process, hit on the Windows Start menu and then search for update.
- Following that, you are supposed to double-click on the Windows update icon to show up in the window for Windows Update.
- Once you are within the update window, head toward the Search for Updates option.
- Let the process take its time. When it is completed, you should checkmark all the updates that you recognize as important.
- Now, head forward and get the updates downloaded to your computer.
- Now restart your system and let these updates install automatically.
- Following this, you should restart QuickBooks and then check if updating Windows helped resolve the QuickBooks BEX error in your system. If the issue still troubles you, then head toward the next solution.
2nd Method: QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool can help resolve BEX Error
The QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool is an essential tool that diagnoses and consequently rectifies any installation-related issues. It identifies any damaged installation-related files and attempts to get them resolved. It also helps in the fixation of issues in the Microsoft components like the .NET framework and MSXML, including other components that are necessary for the seamless functioning of QuickBooks. The procedure to employ this Tool is quite easy. However, a necessary prerequisite is that you should have downloaded the QuickBooks Tool hub on your system.
- To begin with, get the QuickBooks tool hub downloaded on your PC.
- Now, install the tool hub by accessing your downloaded.exe file in the Downloads folder.
- You are now required to run the Tool Hub and type in the necessary credentials.
- When you have launched the Tool hub, you are supposed to advance to the Installation Issues tab, followed by choosing QuickBooks install diagnostic Tool.
- Consequently, the Install Diagnostic tool will begin the process to diagnose and fix any QuickBooks installation-related issues.
- When the process concludes, you should restart your computer.
- Now, re-launch your QuickBooks Desktop software and observe whether this strategy could resolve QuickBooks BEX Error.
Are you unable to launch QuickBooks Tool Hub or access the QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool?
If the QuickBooks Tool Hub doesn’t open in the Normal startup mode, some programs in the background might be conflicting with this Tool. In such a situation, you should attempt to launch your Desktop in the Safe Mode with networking. For this, you should restart your computer and keep hitting the F8 key in the black window until the Advanced boot options show up.
From therein, you should choose Safe mode with Networking option and hit Enter. However, certain computer systems don’t support the F8 key for accessing the Boot options. If you are facing the same issue, then it is advisable to follow the below-mentioned steps:
- Hit on the Windows start menu and then type ‘’MSConfig.’’
- Consequently, the System Configuration window will show up on your screen.
- Herein, hit on the General tab and then place a checkmark beside the Selective startup option. Tap on Ok afterward.
- Now, restart your computer, and the Boot option window will load automatically, wherein you are supposed to opt for the Safe mode with Networking.
- Now, attempt to run the tool hub once again.
- If the Tool still doesn’t load up, then you should go for a system restore to revert back your computer configuration to some earlier working stage.
3rd Method: Manual repair of the Microsoft Components
You can repair the Microsoft components like MSXML, NET Framework, and C++ manually as well. Follow the instructions given below for the same:
- Head to the Control Panel from The Windows Start menu.
- Within the Control Panel, head for the Programs and Features tab.
- Now, advance to the Uninstall a program tab, followed by heading to the Windows Features option.
- Herein, you are required to opt for .NET Framework 3.5 and enable the same.
Steps for repairing MSXML
- To begin with, tap on the Windows Start menu on your Desktop, and after that, type in ‘’cmd.’’
- Make sure to launch the command prompt (cmd) as an administrator by right-clicking the ‘’cmd’’ and then opting for the Run as administrator option.
- Within the Command prompt window (cmd), you need to type “cd\windows\syswow64.”
- Subsequently, you need to type in “regsvr32 MSXML6.dll”, followed by hitting the Enter key on your keyboard
4th Method: Repairing the QuickBooks User File can resolve QuickBooks BEX Error
A damaged QuickBooks User File could also be a major cause of the BEX Error. Renaming this file can potentially resolve QuickBooks BEX Error. Proceed as follows:
- To begin with this process, head to File Explorer from the start menu.
- Now, you need to navigate to the following path: ‘’C: \ Users\ [user name]\ AppData\ Local\ Intuit\ QuickBooks.’’
- Once you are within the QuickBooks folder, search for the QBWUSER.ini file.
- You now need to tap on rename option after right-clicking on this file.
- Subsequently, introduce ‘’.old’’ in the file name (at the end).
- Once the User file is renamed, re-open QuickBooks and check whether this brief walkthrough could resolve the BEX error in your QuickBooks accounting software.
We conclude this blog, and we have a firm hope that the methods contained in this writing assisted you to resolve QuickBooks BEX Error. If you need any help in this regard, our QuickBooks error technical support team is always there to assist you. Just ring us a call at our helpline i.e., 1-800-761-1787, and our support executives will provide you with indomitable assistance to get rid of your accounting-related issues.
Frequently Asked Questions
QuickBooks BEX error is a technical error that pops up when users try to open QuickBooks. This technical snag is generally incited by a system or QuickBooks-related issue.
Yes! Hardware-related issues in the system can potentially lead to QuickBooks BEX error.
Some of the most common causes behind QuickBooks BEX error are corruption in the system files, Windows compatibility issues, files related to the QuickBooks program getting damaged, including a plethora of other issues.
Other helpful topics: