Learn how to fix QuickBooks error 6190, 816 (QuickBooks was unable to open the file [path] on the host computer):
Are you annoyed by the recurring occurrence of Error 6190, 816 on your QuickBooks desktop? Well, this is a frequently encountered error that may show up when multiple users attempt to open a company file in single-user mode. Another situation when you can bump into QuickBooks error code 6190, 816 is in case there exists some discrepancy between the transaction file and the company file. Due to this error, it is possible that you might lose all important data stored in your QBW file.
This write-up will provide you with an elaborate understanding of the QuickBooks error 6190 along with the causes of the error and some easy solutions for the same. Moreover, connecting with our U.S.-based accounting professionals using our support line would also work for you. You can get on a call with our technical geeks using our support line i.e., 1-800-761-1787, and get your issue resolved in no time.
A lucid overview of QuickBooks error code 6190, 816
Before we dive in deep to unravel the effective troubleshooting methods to fix QuickBooks error code 6190, 816, it is better to get an overview of this error code and related facts associated with this error. Considering the technical intricacies that it may lead to, this error should be fixed at the earliest. The following error pops up on the screen with a warning message that states as:
|Warning||QuickBooks was unable to open the company file [path] on the hosted system.|
Error codes: (-6190, -816)
This error can also be noticed when logging in to the company file through a single-user mode.
What leads to QuickBooks error code 6190, 816?
This error may appear on your desktop due to the following situations. The following causes might trigger the error in the QuickBooks software.
- The transaction log file doesn’t match the company file
- Company files may be updated on a different computer without updating the transaction log file.
- The error may also appear when accessing the company file in single-user mode.
- Data corruption in the QuickBooks company file is another potential cause of this error.
- Software installation is left incomplete or when the download becomes corrupt.
- There is corruption in the Windows registry from a recent QuickBooks-related software change.
- Some virus or malware infection may have damaged your critical QuickBooks company files.
- Any other program maliciously deleted the QuickBooks-related files, thereby triggering Error code 6190 in QuickBooks.
QuickBooks error 6190, 816: Easily identifiable Signs and Symptoms
Identifying the QuickBooks error Error codes -6190 and -816 is of utmost importance as it allows you to choose the most viable methods for troubleshooting the error. So, here are a few of the signs and symptoms that can be witnessed upon the arrival of the error code:
- The error code itself displays on the screen and crashes the active program window.
- Windows runs sluggishly and responds very slowly to the keyboard and mouse inputs.
- The system freezes periodically.
- The system stops responding and freezes more frequently.
- The company file and transaction log file don’t match each other, and the company file becomes corrupt.
You may also see: Methods to fix QuickBooks desktop freezing up problem
What are the Solutions to Resolve QuickBooks Error Code 6190, 816?
The fixes of QuickBooks error code 6190 and 816 largely depend upon the factors triggering the issue. Below, we will be exploring the quick fixes one by one. Thus, let us explore the further details together:
Solution 1: Troubleshoot the mismatch
Often you might come across this error when there is a mismatch between the transaction log file and the company file. In such a scenario, it becomes important for you to troubleshoot the mismatch. Perform the steps provided below:
- Initially, navigate to the location of your company folder.
- Afterward, Search for the Transaction folder. The company folder and the transaction folder might have the same name, but their extensions might vary. You will have to identify the Two files by their extensions.
- Head forward by right-clicking the Company files and hitting on the Rename option to change the name, but avoid changing the extension of the file.
- Moreover, change the Transaction file name as well.
Lastly, close the software and then open it once again.
Solution 2: Update the QuickBooks software and the backup files
If you’re experiencing the problem because you’ve updated your company file using a different computer but not changing the transaction log file, then you should update your software for the backup files to fix the problem. The steps, in this case, are the following:
- Firstly, users are required to Update the QuickBooks desktop.
- Afterward, head to the Help menu of the menu bar and then choose the option to Update the QuickBooks desktop.
- Once done with that, proceed to the Options tab, tap on the Mark all option, and hit the Save option.
- Subsequently, hit the Update now tab and mark the Reset update box.
- Proceeding ahead, tap on the Get updates option.
- When the message update displays on the screen, close QuickBooks.
- Reopen QuickBooks, and Install updates, if any.
- Rebooting the system is the final step in this solution. If the steps fail in rectifying QuickBooks error 6190, then scroll down to the next solution.
Solution 3: Perform a Single user-mode check
Sometimes, you might bump into this error if you are accessing the company file in single-user mode. In such a case, the below-mentioned steps would surely assist:
- Initially, verify that All users are logged out of the QuickBooks application.
- Reboot the systems.
- Moreover, copy the data file to the desktop or to another location apart from its original source.
- Now, Copy the data file back to its original location.
- End the process by signing in to QuickBooks.
Solution 4: Use the QuickBooks file doctor tool
- Kickstart the process by Downloading and installing the QuickBooks file doctor tool from the official Intuit website.
- Ensure that you are Logged in as admin and run the tool.
- Later, you will see two pop-ups on the screen stating:
- Both file damage and connectivity
- Network connectivity only
- Choose the first option, and it will spot the Damaged file and permit you to fix the issue.
- Heading forward, enter the Admin password.
- You should pay heed to the prompt asking if the company file is stored on the Workstation or server.
- Just in case the file is on the server, click on the Yes tab or else hit the No tab.
- Lastly, hit on the Proceed tab.
Other Methods for troubleshooting QuickBooks error -6190 and -816
We have discussed above the specified causes and fixes to the QuickBooks error code 6190 and 816. Whereas, if you don’t fall in any of the above categories of error causes and solutions, then, in that case, you can check out the other effective solutions:
Method 1: Use the QuickBooks refresher tool
The QuickBooks refresher tool is designed to fix the QuickBooks 6000 error series. One can easily download and run the diagnosis by conforming to the below steps:
- Start the process by closing the QuickBooks desktop on all the systems.
- Head forward by Downloading the QB refresher tool from the official Intuit website.
- Afterward, look for the qbrefresherv1.exe file in the downloads and open it.
- Click on the option stating Fix my QuickBooks in refresher tool, and wait till the diagnosing process is complete.
- Once the repair gets complete, open the QuickBooks desktop and check if you are able to open the company files or not.
Method 2: Install QuickBooks database server manager on server
Another method is to install the QuickBooks database server manager on the server. Perform the following steps:
- In the inception, download the QuickBooks database server manager on the server and then install it.
- Subsequently, proceed to the Start menu.
- In the Search tab, enter QuickBooks database server manager.
- You will then have to open QBDBSM.
- Moreover, update this database manager to the latest version.
- Now restart the server after the update process ends.
- Finally, open the QuickBooks desktop on all of the workstations and server.
Read it Also: How to Fix QuickBooks not Showing Mapped Drives Problem?
Method 3: Update the Windows
Another method that one can try out is to update Windows. The steps that can be performed in here are as follows:
- Starting off, head towards the Start menu.
- Hit on the Settings tab and pick the Update and security option.
- Furthermore, open the Windows update tab.
- Head forward, by clicking on the Check for updates option. In case there are any updates available, then they would start downloading automatically.
- Once the update is complete, Reinstall QuickBooks software.
Method 4: Repair the Windows Registry files
- Initially, hit on the Start menu.
- Type in ‘Command prompt‘ in the search bar.
- When opening the command prompt, ensure to hit the Ctrl + shift + enter keys.
- This will prompt you to enter the Admin login details so that you can open the command prompt window admin rights.
- In the common prompt window, you need to type in Regedit
- Hit on the Enter key to Continue.
- As you see the registry editor window, click on the key linked with the error.
- Heading forward, click on the Export tab.
- Also, press the Save tab.
- Ascertain to save the file with the .reg extension.
- Continue with the on-screen prompts to complete the process.
You can also see: What are Ways to resolve the QuickBooks Payroll Error 30114?
Method 5: Remove the temporary files
- You need to open the Windows search bar by hitting on the Start menu.
- Afterward, type Run in the Search bar.
- In the run window, type in Cleanmgr.
- Afterward, hit on the Enter key.
- A disk cleanup window will display now. You can choose the Junk file size and also hit on the OK tab.
Method 6: Opt for System Restore
- Initially, press the Windows icon or click on the Start tab.
- Look for System restore using the Search bar.
- Heading forward you need to use Enter tab.
- Also, open the System restore tool option.
- Perform the on-screen prompts displayed on the screen.
- You also have to Enter the password if needed.
- The restoration process would take a few minutes to Finish the process.
- After the system is restored completely, you can continue working with your QuickBooks desktop.
Related Post: Steps to Print W-2 Forms in QuickBooks Desktop
The error code 6190 and 816 is a pretty common error that can cross your path while you try to log in to the company file in single-user mode. Incorporating the above-stated set of procedures would surely help in rectifying the QuickBooks error 6190 and 816.
Whereas, if for some reason the error prevailed or you are stuck at any point of time, then in that case getting in touch with our technically sound QuickBooks enterprise customer support experts is strongly recommended. You can make use of our helpline i.e. 1-800-761-1787 to connect with our U.S.-based accounting professionals and let them handle the situation for you.
Other Suggested Reads: