Learn how to fix QuickBooks error 6190, 816 (QuickBooks was unable to open the file [path] on the host computer):
Working on the QuickBooks software and suddenly a warning error message popped up on the screen that indicates QuickBooks error -6190 and -816. Found this relatable? Well, this is a common situation that the user might come across when multiple users try opening the company file in single-user mode. Another situation when the user can bump into QuickBooks error code 6190 and 816, in case of any discrepancy between the transaction file and the company file. As a result of this error, the user could lose all the important files that are saved within the QBW file.
This write-up will give you an insight into QuickBooks error code 6190 and 816, along with the factors instigating the bug and also some quick fixes for the same. Moreover, connecting with our U.S. based accounting professionals using our support line would also work for you.
You may also see: Methods to fix QuickBooks desktop freezing up problem
Insight into QuickBooks error code 6190 and 816
Before you dive in deep to unleash the strategies to fix QuickBooks error code 6190 and 816, it is better to get familiar with this error code and related facts. Well, this error is quite a technical snag that should be fixed asap. This error pops up on the screen with a warning message that states as:
“QuickBooks was unable to open the company file [path] on the hosted system”.
Such an error can also be seen when the user makes an attempt to log in the company file in a single-user mode.
Signs and symptoms of QuickBooks error 6190 and 816
Identifying the QuickBooks error 6190 and 816 is very much important, so as to work towards rectify it. So, here are a few of the signs and symptoms that can be considered:
- The error code itself displays on the screen and crashes the active program window.
- Windows run sluggishly and slow responses to the keyboard and mouse inputs.
- The system freezes periodically.
Causes and fixes of the QuickBooks error 6190, 816 in detail
The fixes of QuickBooks error code 6190 and 816 largely depend upon the factors triggering the issue. Below, we will be exploring the causes and related fixes one by one. Thus, let us explore the further details together:
Cause 1: Transaction log file doesn’t match with the company file
Solution: Troubleshoot the mismatch
Often you might come across this error, when there is a mismatch between the transaction log file and the company file. In such a scenario, it becomes important for you to troubleshoot the mismatch. The steps to be performed here in are as follows:
- Start off with opening the company folder.
- Search for the transaction folder. The company folder and the transaction folder might have the same name but their extensions might vary. You will have to identify the two files by their extensions.
- Head forward by right clicking the company files and also select to change the name, but avoid changing the extension of the file
- Moreover, change the transaction file name as well.
Last but not lest close the software and then open it once again.
Read this Also: How to Use QuickBooks PDF Converter?
Cause 2: User updates the company file on a different computer without updating the transaction log file
Solution: Updating the software and backup files
If you are facing the bug, due to updating the company file on a different system without updating the transaction log file, then in that case you can update the software the backup files to resolve the issue. The steps involved in here are as follows:
- Here in, the user needs to first update QuickBooks desktop.
- By heading towards the help menu of the menu bar and then clicking on the option of update QuickBooks desktop.
- Once done with that, navigate to the options tab and tap on the mark all option and click on save tab.
- Next is to pick the update now tab and also mark the reset update box.
- Heading forward, tap on the get updates tab
- And after the message update complete gets displayed on the screen, it is suggested to close QuickBooks.
- Reopen QuickBooks, and install update if any.
- Reboot the system and you are good to go.
Cause 3: Accessing the company file in single-user mode
Solution: Perform single user-mode check
At times, the user might bump into such an error, in case he/she try to access the company file in single user mode. In such a case, the below steps would surely assist:
- Start with verifying that all users are logged out of the QuickBooks data file.
- Reboot the systems
- Moreover, copy the data file to the desktop or to another location apart from it’s source.
- Heading forward, it is suggested to again copy the data file back to its original location.
- End the process by signing in to QuickBooks.
Cause 4: Data corruption in QuickBooks company file
Solution: Use QuickBooks file doctor tool
The user might end up in QuickBooks error 6190 due to data corruption in QuickBooks company file. To resolve this running QuickBooks file doctor tool is recommended. The steps to be performed here in are as follows:
- Kick start the process, by downloading and installing QuickBooks file doctor tool from the official intuit website.
- Ensure that you are logged in as admin and run the tool
- Later, you will see two pop-ups on the screen stating:
- Both file damage and connectivity
- Network connectivity only
- Pick the first option and it will spot the damaged file and permit to fix the issue.
- Heading forward, the user is supposed to enter the admin password on being prompted.
- The user should pay heed to the prompt asking if the company file is stored on the workstation or server.
- In case the file is on the server, then the user is recommended to click on Yes tab or else hit No tab.
- Last but not the least, the user should pick the proceed tab.
Miscellaneous causes and fixes of QuickBooks error 6190, 816
We have discussed above the specified causes and fixes to the QuickBooks error code 6190 and 816. Whereas, if you don’t fall in any of the above categories of error causes and solutions, then in that case you can check out the below list of causes and solutions.
In case you aren’t facing the issue due to the above discussed causes, then here is what might trigger the error in your software.
- Software installation is left incomplete or when the download becomes corrupt.
- Or there is corruption in windows registry from a recent QuickBooks related software change.
- Virus or malware infection
- Any other program maliciously deleted the QuickBooks related files.
Other effective solutions
There are handful of solutions that are can be implemented other than the above stated methods, in order to shun off the QuickBooks error code 6190. Let us check out the other effective solutions all together:
Method 1: Using QuickBooks refresher tool
The QuickBooks refresher tool is designed in a way to fix the QuickBooks 6000 error series. One can easily download and run the diagnose using the below steps:
- The user should start the process by closing the QuickBooks desktop on all the systems.
- Head forward by downloading the QB refresher tool from the official intuit website.
- Later, look for the qbrefresherv1.exe file in the downloads and open it.
- Click on the option stating fix my QuickBooks in QuickBooks refresher tool, and wait till the diagnosing process is complete.
- Once the repair gets complete, open the QuickBooks desktop and check if you are able to open the company files or not.
Method 2: Installing QuickBooks database server manager on server
Another method that can be implemented is to install QuickBooks database server manager on the server. The steps to be performed here in are as follows:
- Start off with downloading the QuickBooks database server manager on the server and then install it.
- Later, head towards the start menu
- In the search tab, enter QuickBooks database server manager.
- The user will then have to open QBDBSM
- Moreover, update this database manager to the latest version.
- Furthermore, the user should restart the server after the update process ends.
- Last but not the least, open QuickBooks desktop on all of the workstations and server.
Related Post: Steps to Resolve QuickBooks error code 6073 and 99001
Method 3: Updating windows
Another method that one can try out is to update windows. The steps that can be performed in here are as follows:
- Starting off with, the user is supposed to head towards the Start menu.
- Click on settings tab and pick the update and security option.
- Furthermore, open windows update tab.
- Head forward, by clicking on the check for updates option. In case there are any updates available, then they would start downloading automatically.
- After the update is complete, the user is recommended to reinstall QuickBooks software.
This error is a pretty common error that can come up while trying to log in to the company file in single-user mode. Incorporating the above stated set of strategies would surely help in rectifying the QuickBooks error 6190 and 816.
Whereas, if for some reason the error prevailed or if the user is stuck at any point of time, then in that case getting in touch with our technically sound QuickBooks enterprise customer support experts is strongly recommended. You can make use of our helpline i.e. 1-800-761-1787 to connect with our U.S. based accounting professionals and let them handle the situation for you.
Other Suggested Reads: