Get the latest methods to troubleshoot the QuickBooks Error Code H505 at home:
The QuickBooks software has sprawled a booming revolution across accounting sectors. However, this software suffers from uncountable technical intricacies. One of the frequent error that will be explained in this article is the QuickBooks Error Code H505. This error belongs to the H series error and commonly appears when you attempt to access the QuickBooks company file, which does not exist on the network or device.
To ensure that you get a seamless experience of the QuickBooks software, the resources in this article will assist you in tackling the QuickBooks error code H505. However, if you are seeking expert assistance, you can get that from our team, as we offer round-the-clock assistance to provide unparalleled services. So, reach out to us without hesitation and leverage the services provided by our QuickBooks error support professionals using our dedicated support line, i.e., 1-800-761-1787.
You may also read: How to Fix QuickBooks error 6000 304?
What is QuickBooks error code H505?
QuickBooks error code H505 can cross your path when you attempt to switch to the multi-user mode. This error code results in blocking of the multi-user connection to the server. This error can be seen with an error message stating:
|Warning||QuickBooks has faced a problem and needs to close. Sorry for any inconvenience caused.|
|Problem with multi-user hosting setup||Error code H505: This company file is on another computer, and QuickBooks needs hep connecting.|
This error code belongs to the H series errors that are often accompanied by H101, H202, H303, etc. You may see the below stated error message on your screen when error H505 encounters in QuickBooks desktop:
What are the reasons that leads the QuickBooks error code H505?
There are multitude of varied causes that can result in the occurrence of QuickBooks Error code H505. Some of the most prominent causes are as mentioned below:
- The hosting configuration of the device is Incorrect.
- Incorrect or damaged .ND file results in the failure of QB company file being accessed by the entire network.
- Incorrect DNS settings may incite QuickBooks error code H505.
- It can occur when the QB Services such as QuickBooksDBXX/QBCF are not working.
- In case the database server manager is not able to find the IP address of the host computer or in case it is using several different IP addresses.
- System Firewall Settings obstructing QuickBooks to get access to the company file.
\Symptoms of QuickBooks error message H505
The signs and symptoms of the QuickBooks multi-user error H505 are as follows:
- This error appears and crashes an active program window.
- The system often crashes when running the same program.
- The QuickBooks error code H505 itself appears on the screen.
- Windows functions slowly.
- Your system freezes frequently for many seconds.
Important points to remember
- Check that QuickBooks software is installed on the system properly.
- Also, it is important to note that it can be a full QuickBooks desktop version with database or license manager hosting only.
- It is pertinent to install install QuickBooks application on the server as without it, you will not be able to use multi-user mode.
- Visit to QuickBooks official website to download QuickBooks.
You should follow the instructions for the server system. To run the QuickBooks file doctor tool it is recommended to sign in the host server as the system admin user.
Read this also: Fixation of QuickBooks already has a company file open error
Steps to do before fixing the Error code H505
It is pertinent to ensure that all the factors that are mentioned below are taken care of. This will ensure that the further steps of rectifying the errors are dealt with without any damage to the data or files stored on the device.
- Ensure that the Company file has a backup.
- Update the QuickBooks Desktop to the latest version.
- Run the Quick fix my program option in the QuickBooks Tools hub.
- Initiate the QuickBooks Database Server Manager.
- Configure the firewall settings so that it will not obstruct the process.
Methods to rectify the QuickBooks Error H505 – An Expert Guide
This section unravels all the viable methods that can assist in the rectification of QuickBooks Error Code H505. We will navigate through each of these with careful examination for fixing this problem There are several of them as it will ensure that the error is completely fixed. So, make sure that you follow through all the methods in an orderly fashion:
Method 1: By using the QuickBooks File Doctor Tool
- At the start, check that the QuickBooks desktop is installed on your server computer and the network is accessible.
- Once confirmed, Download QuickBooks File Doctor Tool and run the program on the server. QuickBooks file doctor can fix the multi-user error and will free up the H-series errors completely (including error code H505).
Method 2: Create a New folder for the company file and enable access to the company file
- Initiate by Creating a new folder in the hosting computer.
- Once the folder is created, ensure that the Windows gets Entry permissions to the company files.
- Now, copy the .qbw file into the new folder.
- At last, go into Multi-user mode and open the company file to complete the process.
Method 3: Configure the firewall port settings
This error can be wiped off by configuring the firewall and security settings for QuickBooks desktop.
- At the start, open the Run dialogue box by hitting together the Win + R keys on your keyboard.
- Once done, use the Run command to access the Control panel. For this, just type Command in the Run box and hit Enter tab.
- In the Control Panel, choose System and Security option.
- Subsequently, open Windows Firewall and Network Protection.
- Now. hit on the Advanced Settings option and choose the Inbound rule. Afterward, choose New Rule.
- Choose a port and hit on the Next tab.
- Double-check whether you have chosen the Correct TCP Option.
- Enter the Port of your QB Desktop’s year version.
- Once the year code is entered in the respective field, hit on Next and restart QuickBooks Desktop to culminate the process.
Method 4: Configure QuickBooks Hosting settings
When none of the above foregoing methods prove effective, assess the QuickBooks hosting settings. The steps involved in this process are as enumerated as follows:
- At the start, restart the QuickBooks software on both servers.
- Now, open the QuickBooks on both systems that are configured as multi-user.
- Hit on the File menu and then opt for the Utilities option.
- Discontinue/stop hosting multi-user access configuration.
- Subsequently, Host multi-user access or turn on hosting via file in one system, and follow it up by venturing into the Utilities option.
Verify QuickBooks services
- Access the Run box by hitting the Win + R keys.
- type in Services.msc in the Windows search bar.
- Next, scroll down and look for the QuickBooksDBXX service in the services window.
- Double-click the QuickBooksDBXX service and make sure that the startup is Automatic.
- You need to hit the Recovery tab.
- Manually Restart QuickBooksDBXX service, in case of a failure. Repeat the same if needed.
- Hit on OK to save changes.
- Repeat the above mentioned procedure for QBCFMonitorService.
- Proceeding ahead, you need to access QuickBooks in a multi-user mode on each effected digital system.
- Concluding step requires you to look for the QuickBooksDBXX service. This service is a member of the admin cluster and has acceptable permissions.
- Upon implementation of all the steps contained in this article, launch the QuickBooks software.
Method 5: Alter the system’s firewall settings and create exceptions
- To begin with, hit on the Windows key and then head to the Control panel.
- Double-Click on the Control panel and choose the Firewall settings.
- Next step requires you to opt for the ‘Allow a program via the system’s firewall’ option.
- Once done with that, hit on the Add program option, and include the QuickBooks 20xx to the exception list.
- Reboot the system to Save the changes.
You need to add the following ports according to the version of your QuickBooks software:
- QuickBooks Desktop 2015: 8019, 56725, 55363,55367
- QuickBooks Desktop 2016: 8019, 56726, 55368, 55372
- QuickBooks Desktop 2017: 8019, 56727, 55373, 55377
- QuickBooks Desktop 2018: 8019, 56728, 55378, 55382
- QuickBooks Desktop 2019: 8091, XXXX
- QuickBooks Desktop 2020: 8091, XXXX
Method 6: Edit the Host file
This method requires you to edit the host file by following the below-mentioned steps:
Step 1: Find IP address and computer name of the Server and Workstation
- In the inception, hit on the Win + R keys in order to open the Run box.
- Type Cmd and subsequently hit the Enter key to access the Command Prompt window.
- Type ipconfig/all and hit Enter to run the command.
- Search for the Host Name in the Windows IP Configuration section. Your server name is on the right.
- Next step is to write the Host name and IP address somewhere. Repeat the process for all systems that have multi-user setup.
Now, head back to your workstation to test the server. Following given steps may be technically intricate for you, so we recommend you to consult with your IT professional for help.
- Initially, navigate to the Windows Start menu from a workstation.
- Afterward, type Run into the search and open the Run command by hitting the Enter key.
- Now, type CMD into the Run window, and then follow it up by Enter key.
- Next, type Ping [your server name], and then hit the Enter key. Don’t include the brackets around your server name.
Step 2: Edit the Windows hosts file
Now after the above steps you need to edit the Windows hosts file:
- Initially, shut down the QuickBooks and then move to Start menu.
- After that, move to this PC option and then visit the address: C:\Windows\Systems32\Drivers\Etc or C:\Windows\Syswow64\Drivers\Etc.
- In case you are unable to find the Windows folder in the system. Then you can follow the steps to see the hidden files and folders.
- You will have to click on the View tab and then hit a click on the Hidden items, after which you will be able to see the hidden files.
- After that, right click on the View tab and hit a click on the Open with option, and open the same with notepad.
- Subsequently, Fill in the IP Address and system name. Upon entering the correct details, make sure to use the Tab key, instead of using the Space bar to put spaces.
- And the last step is to Save the changes and then Reopen the QuickBooks software in multi-user mode.
See Also: What is QuickBooks error code 1904?
Method 7: Run the QuickBooks Database Server Manager on the server from the QuickBooks Tools Hub
If none of the methods worked in your favor, then try out this one. You can simply download and install the QuickBooks tools hub, by carrying out the steps below:
Step 1: Download and install the QuickBooks Tools Hub on your server
- The very first step is to close QuickBooks.
- And then, download the QuickBooks tools hub file. Follow it up by saving the file at an easy-to-remember location.
- After that, open the file downloaded earlier (QuickBooksToolHub.exe).
- Once done with that, follow the on-screen prompt to install and agree to the terms and conditions.
- After that, when the install finishes, you need to double click the icon on the windows desktop to open the tool hub.
Please note that if you are unable to spot the icon, then search for it in windows for QuickBooks tools hub and then choose the Program.
Step 2: Run QuickBooks Database server manager, from the tool hub program
From the Tools hub, run the database server manager. Follow the trails laid below:
- The first step requires you to choose the Network issues from the QuickBooks tools hub.
- Subsequently, opt for the QuickBooks database server manager. If QuickBooks is not installed on the server, install it via the on-screen prompt.
- Now choose the Start scan option, in case the company file folder. In case they aren’t, you need to Browse to the location of the company file and then hit Start scan option.
- The database server manager will repair the firewall permissions automatically. Once the scanning process ends, make sure to select Close.
- Finally, open QuickBooks on each of the workstation facing the issue. And then choose file option, along with that switch to multi-user mode. In case you detect any server system as a workstation, then make sure to check that too.
Method 8: Follow the steps depending upon how to host the company files
Step 1: Host your own Network
If the QuickBooks database server manager is not installed, then install the database server manager on the server for each version of QuickBooks being used. The server is the system that hosts the company files. After you have installed the database server manager, continue to the section below:
There can be two ways to set up QuickBooks database server manager:
- The full program option: You install the full version of QuickBooks desktop and database server manager on the server system.
- The Server only option: You only install the database server manager on the server system.
Step 2: Host the network with Windows Server 2012 Essentials R2
You need to follow a certain steps to use the Windows server 2012 Essentials R2, for hosting network.
Using QuickBooks Enterprise Hosting
In case you are making use of QuickBooks Enterprise hosting, then you need to contact professionals immediately.
Using Another Hosting Solution
In case you are making use of another solution or one of the affiliated Intuit hosting providers, then directly contact them for restarting the hosting environment.
Related article: How to Fix QuickBooks error code 1920?
Method 9: Open network ports that QuickBooks uses to transmit knowledge
Step 1: Configuring the firewall settings
- First of all, move to the windows firewall settings and then hit right click on the Windows option to click on the Control panel. After that, type Firewall in the search bar and also hit Enter key. Click on the Windows firewall and press Advanced settings tab.
- After that, hover to the left and then right-click the Outbound rules and choose New rule.
- You will have to hit on the ports and hit Next.
- Now hit on TCP and in the specific local ports, enter the following ports:
- For QuickBooks desktop 2015: 8019,56725,55363-55367
- For QuickBooks desktop 2016: 8019,56726,55368-55372
- QuickBooks desktop 2017: 8019,56727,55373-55377
- For QuickBooks desktop 2018: 8019,56728,55378-55382
- You will then have to choose Next and hit the Allow the connection tab.
- After that, hit a click on Next to type in the name and also hit Finish.
- Also, repeat the steps 1-5 for inbound rules.
- The last step is to move to the Multi-user mode again and open QuickBooks.
Step 2: Turn on the network discovery
- Initially, open the Control panel and then choose the System and security.
- And then, hit a click on Windows firewall.
- You will then have to click Permit associate app/feature on the windows firewall.
- Also, press Modification option.
- Now you need to select Network discovery, and hit OK tab.
Step 3: Find out the name of the server
- You will have to open the Run command and press on the Windows key + R. And type the CMD and click on Enter key.
- Now, Enter config/all and also hit Enter key.
- Followed by looking for the Host name, in the IP configuration section.
- You will then be able to see the server name on the right.
- And you can Save and move to the Next step.
Method 10: Check the services on the server
You need to ensure that QuickBooks services are running on the server system. The steps to check QuickBooksDBXX. Then repeat them for QBCFMonitorService. Abide by the following steps:
- First step is to open the windows Start menu on the Server system.
- And then, type in run and open Run tab.
- Next, type in Services.msc into the run window and then press the Enter tab.
- After that, look for and double click on the QuickBooksDBXX on the list. Where XX denotes the version of QuickBooks.
- Also, choose the automatic tab for the Startup type.
- Now ensure that the Service status is either running or started. If it is not, then choose Start tab.
- Followed by selecting the Recovery tab.
- And select restart the service from each of these drop down menu.
- First failure
- Second failure
- Subsequent failures
- After that select Apply tab and also hit OK tab to save the changes.
- And towards the end, repeat the steps for QBCFMonitorService.
Also See: How to Use QuickBooks Conversion Tool?
We hope that by adhering to the above-enumerated methods correctly, you could fix the QuickBooks Error code H505 on your PC. In case the error is still looming large and pops up even after the completion of the above-mentioned steps, then we recommend you to immediately contact our QuickBooks enterprise technical support team. Feel free to connect with our U.S. based accounting experts using our helpline i.e. 1-800-761-1787. We will be happy to help you!
You might also like these topics: