Get the latest methods to troubleshoot the QuickBooks Error Code H505 at home:
Coming across some or the other technical snag in QuickBooks is pretty much common. One such error that we will be elaborating in this write up is QuickBooks Error Code H505. This error code belongs to the H series error and usually appears when you try to access the QuickBooks company file, which does not exist on that device or the network. So, to ensure that all you get the best experience of this software, here is everything that you need to tackle QuickBooks error code H505.
This article can be pretty much in fixing this issue. However, if you are seeking for expert assistance, you can get that too, as we are a hub of tech-savvy people, who work round the clock to provide the best possible assistance that too in a single call. So, do not hesitate in speaking to our QuickBooks error support professionals using our dedicated support line i.e. 1-800-761-1787.
You may also read: How to Fix QuickBooks error 6000 304?
What is QuickBooks error code H505?
QuickBooks error H505 can be seen when you try to switch to the multi-user mode. This error code results in blocking the multi-user connection to the server. This error can be seen with an error message stating:
“QuickBooks has faced a problem and needs to close. Sorry for any inconvenience caused”.
This error code is from the H series error codes that are often accompanied by H101, H202, H303, etc. You may see the below given error message on your screen when error H505 encounters in QuickBooks desktop:
Reasons behind QuickBooks error code H505 occurrence
As this error is one of the common ones, there may be multiple causes that can result in the occurrence of QuickBooks Error code H505. Some of the most common causes are as mentioned below:
- The hosting configuration of the device is Incorrect.
- Presence of an incorrect or damaged .ND file, this results in the failure of QB company file being accessed by the entire network.
- This error can be caused because of DNS incorrect settings.
- It can happen when QB Services such as QuickBooksDBXX/QBCF are not working.
- In case the database server manager is not able to find the IP address of the host computer or in case it is using several different IP addresses.
- QuickBooks error code H505 can happen if the System Firewall Setting is obstructing it to get to the company file.
What are the Symptoms of QuickBooks error H505?
The signs and symptoms of the QuickBooks multi-user error H505 are as follows:
- This error appears and crashes an active program window.
- The system often crashes when running the same program.
- If QuickBooks error code H505 itself appears on the screen.
- Another sign can be if the windows function slowly.
- Your system freezes periodically for many seconds.
Important points to remember
- You need to check that QuickBooks software is installed on the system properly.
- Also, it is important to note that it can be a full QuickBooks desktop version with database or license manager hosting only.
- Moreover, it is very important to install QuickBooks application on the server as without it, you will not be able to use multi-user mode.
- Visit to QuickBooks official website to download QuickBooks.
You should follow the instructions for the server system and also to run the QuickBooks file doctor tool it is recommended to sign in the host server as the system admin user.
Read this also: Fixation of QuickBooks already has a company file open error
Steps to do before fixing the Error code H505
It is important to ensure that all the factors that are mentioned below are taken care of. This will ensure that the further steps of rectifying the errors are dealt with without any damage to the data or files stored on the device.
- Ensure that the Company file has a backup.
- Update the QuickBooks Desktop to the latest version.
- Run the ‘Quick fix my program‘ option in the QuickBooks Tools hub.
- Initiate the QuickBooks Database Server Manager.
- Configure the firewall settings so that it will not obstruct the process while it is under work.
Methods to fix QuickBooks Error Code H505 – An Expert Guide
We will go through a bunch of methods for fixing QuickBooks Error code H505. There are several of them as it will ensure that the error is completely fixed. So, make sure that you follow through all the methods in an orderly fashion:
Method #1: By using the QuickBooks File Doctor Tool
- For this, you will first have to check that the QB desktop is installed on your server computer and you have the access to the network.
- Once confirmed, Download QuickBooks File Doctor Tool and run the program on the server. QuickBooks file doctor can fix the multi-user error and will free up the H-series errors completely (including error code H505).
Method #2: Create a New folder for the company file and discuss it by enabling access to the company file
- Start with creating a new folder in the hosting computer.
- Once the folder is created, ensure that the windows can get entry permissions to the company files.
- Now you will have to copy the .qbw file into the new folder.
- At last, go into multi-user mode and open the company file to complete the process.
Method #3: Configuring the firewall ports settings
This error can be fix by configuring the firewall and security settings for QuickBooks desktop.
- Start with opening a Run dialogue box which can be done by pressing the Windows + R keys combination on your keyboard.
- Once done, use the run command to open the control panel.
- Here you will have to choose System and Security option after that open Windows Firewall and Network Protection.
- Now hit a click on the Advanced Settings option and click on the Inbound rule. After that choose New Rule.
- Choose a port and hit a click on Next tab.
- Ascertain that you have chosen the correct TCP Option.
- Enter the port of your QB Desktop’s year version.
- Once the year code has been entered in the respective field, click on next and restart QuickBooks Desktop to complete the process.
Method #4: Configure QuickBooks hosting settings
When none of the above methods worked, make sure to assess the QuickBooks hosting settings. The steps involved in this process are as follows:
- Once done with that, you need to restart the QuickBooks software on both servers.
- In this process, open the QuickBooks on both systems that are configured as multi-user.
- Hit a click on the file menu and then utilities option.
- Discontinue/stop hosting multi-user access configuration.
- Followed by, Host multi-user access or turning on hosting via file in one system, and then click on the Utilities option.
Verify QuickBooks services
- Open the run box and then press the Windows + R key.
- Type in the MSC and hit Enter key. After that, you can look for Services.msc in the Windows search bar.
- Next, scroll down and look for the QuickBooksDBXX service in the services window.
- Double click the option QuickBooksDBXX service and also make sure that the startup is opted as Automatic.
- You need to hit the recovery tab.
- Manually restart QuickBooksDBXX service, in case of a failure. Repeat the same if needed.
- Press OK to save changes.
- Now you need to repeat the steps for the QBCFMonitorService.
- Moving ahead, you need to open QuickBooks in a multi-user mode on each effected digital system.
- Last step is to look to form a QuickBooksDBXX service that is a member of the admin cluster and has acceptable permissions, in case of any problem.
Method #5: Change the system’s firewall settings and create exceptions
- To begin with, hit a click on the Windows key and then move to control panel settings.
- Click on the control panel, along with that select the firewall settings.
- Next step in the process is to choose allow a program via the system’s firewall.
- Once done with that, hit a click on the add program option, and then include the QuickBooks 20xx to the exception list.
- Reboot the system to save the changes.
You need to add the following ports according to the version of your QuickBooks software:
- QuickBooks Desktop 2015: 8019, 56725, 55363,55367
- QuickBooks Desktop 2016: 8019, 56726, 55368, 55372
- QuickBooks Desktop 2017: 8019, 56727, 55373, 55377
- QuickBooks Desktop 2018: 8019, 56728, 55378, 55382
- QuickBooks Desktop 2019: 8091, XXXX
- QuickBooks Desktop 2020: 8091, XXXX
Method #6: Edit the Host file
In this solution you have to first edit the host file. The steps involved in this process are as follows:
Step 1: Find IP address and computer name of the Server and Workstation
- The first step is to press Windows + R keys, in order to open the Run box.
- Type cmd and then hit enter and open Command Prompt window.
- Type ipconfig/all and hit enter to run the command.
- Find the Host Name in the Windows IP Configuration section. Your server name is on the right.
- Next step is to write the Host name and IP address somewhere. You need to repeat the process for all system that have multi-user setup.
Now go back to your workstation to test the server. Following given steps may get complex for you, so we recommend you to consult with your IT professional for help.
- Initially, navigate to the Windows Start menu from a workstation.
- After that type Run into the search and open Run command.
- Now type CMD into the Run window, and then press Enter key.
- Next, type ping [your server name], and then press Enter key. Don’t include the brackets around your server name.
Step 2: Edit the Windows hosts file
Now after the above steps you need to edit the Windows hosts file:
- Initially, shut down the QuickBooks and then move to Start menu.
- After that, move to this PC option and then visit the address: C:\Windows\Systems32\Drivers\Etc or C:\Windows\Syswow64\Drivers\Etc.
- In case you are unable to find the Windows folder in the system. Then you can follow the steps to see the hidden files and folders.
- You will have to click on the View tab and then hit a click on the hidden items, after which you will be able to see the hidden files.
- After that, right click on the View tab and hit a click on the open with option, and open the same with notepad.
- You are then required to fill in the IP Address and system name. When the details are entered, make sure to use the Tab key, instead of using the space bar to put spaces.
- And the last step is to Save the changes and then reopen the QuickBooks software in multi-user mode.
See Also: What is QuickBooks error code 1904?
Method #7: Run the QuickBooks Database Server Manager on the server from the QuickBooks Tools Hub
If none of the methods worked in your favor, then try out this one. You can simply download and install the QuickBooks tools hub, by carrying out the steps below:
Step 1: Download and install the QuickBooks Tools Hub on your server
- The very first step is to close QuickBooks.
- And then, download the QuickBooks tools hub file. Followed by saving the file somewhere it can be found easily.
- After that open the file downloaded earlier (QuickBooksToolHub.exe).
- Once done with that, you need to follow the on-screen prompt to install and agree to the terms and conditions.
- After that, when the install finishes, you need to double click the icon on the windows desktop to open the tool hub.
The point to be noted here is that, if you are unable to spot the icon, then search it in windows for QuickBooks tools hub and then select the program.
Step 2: Run QuickBooks Database server manager, from tool hub program
From the Tools hub, run the database server manager. The steps to be followed are as follows:
- The first step is to choose the Network issues, from the QuickBooks tools hub.
- And then, select the QuickBooks database server manager. In case QuickBooks isn’t installed on the server, you will be prompted to install it.
- Now select the Start scan option, in case the company file folder. In case they aren’t, you need to Browse to the location of the company file and then hit start scan option.
- The database server manager will repair the firewall permissions automatically. Once the scanning process ends, make sure to select Close.
- Lastly, open QuickBooks on each of the workstation, where the error was seen. And then choose file option, along with that switch to multi-user mode. In case you detects any server system as a workstation, then make sure to check that too.
Method #8: Follow the steps depending upon how to host the company files
Step 1: Hosting your own Network
In case you are not already installed the QuickBooks database server manager, then it is recommended to install the database server manager on the server for each version of QuickBooks being used. The server is the system that hosts the company files. After you have installed the database server manager, it is recommended to continue to the sections below:
There can be two ways to set up QuickBooks database server manager:
- The full program option: You installs the full version of QuickBooks desktop and database server manager on the server system.
- The Server only option: You only installs the database server manager on the server system.
Step 2: Hosting the network with Windows Server 2012 Essentials R2
You need to follow a certain steps to use the Windows server 2012 Essentials R2, for hosting network.
Using QuickBooks Enterprise Hosting
In case you are making use of QuickBooks Enterprise hosting, then you need to contact professionals immediately.
Using Another Hosting Solution
In case you are making use of another solution or one of the affiliated Intuit hosting providers, then it is recommended to directly contact them for restarting the hosting environment.
Related article: How to Fix QuickBooks error code 1920?
Method #9: Opening network ports that QuickBooks uses to transmit knowledge
Step 1: Configuring the firewall settings
- First of all, move to the windows firewall settings and then hit right click on the Windows option to click on the Control panel. After that, type Firewall in the search bar and also hit Enter key. It is recommended to click on the Windows firewall and press advanced settings tab.
- After that, move to the left and then right click the outbound rules and choose New rule.
- You will have to press on ports and hit Next.
- Now hit a click on TCP and in the specific local ports, enter the following ports:
- For QuickBooks desktop 2015: 8019,56725,55363-55367
- For QuickBooks desktop 2016: 8019,56726,55368-55372
- QuickBooks desktop 2017: 8019,56727,55373-55377
- For QuickBooks desktop 2018: 8019,56728,55378-55382
- You will then have to click on Next and choose Allow the connection tab.
- After that, hit a click on Next to type in the name and also hit Finish.
- Also, repeat the steps 1-5 for inbound rules.
- The last step is to move to the multi-user mode again and open QuickBooks.
Step 2: Turning on the network discovery
- At first, open the control panel and then press on the system and security.
- And then, hit a click on Windows firewall.
- You will then have to click permit associate app/feature on the windows firewall.
- Also, press modification option.
- Now you need to select network discovery, and hit OK tab.
Step 3: Find out the name of the server
- You will have to open the Run command and press on the Windows key + R. And type the CMD and click on enter key.
- Now, enter config/all and also hit Enter key.
- Followed by looking for the host name, in the IP configuration section.
- You will then be able to see the server name on the right.
- And you can Save and move to the next step.
Method #10: Checking the services on the server
You need to ensure that QuickBooks services are running on the server system. The steps to check QuickBooksDBXX. Then repeat them for QBCFMonitorService. The steps to be followed are:
- First step is to open the windows Start menu on the server system.
- And then, type in run and open run tab.
- Next, type in services.msc into the run window and then press the Enter tab.
- After that, look for and double click on the QuickBooksDBXX on the list. Where XX denotes the version of QuickBooks.
- Also, choose the automatic tab for the startup type.
- Now ensure that the service status is either running or started. If it is not, then choose start tab.
- Followed by selecting the recovery tab.
- And select restart the service from each of these drop down menu.
- First failure
- Second failure
- Subsequent failures
- After that select apply tab and also hit OK tab to save the changes.
- And towards the end, repeat the steps for QBCFMonitorService.
Also See: How to Use QuickBooks Conversion Tool?
We hope you have followed the above given methods correctly and the QuickBooks Error code H505 is fixed on the device. In case the error is still present and pops up after the completion of the steps, then we recommend you to immediately contact our QuickBooks enterprise technical support team. Feel free to connect with our U.S. based accounting experts using our helpline i.e. 1-800-761-1787. We will be happy to help you!
You might also like these topics: