Learn how to troubleshoot the QuickBooks error code -6150, -1006 using 7 DIY methods:
QuickBooks is one of the finest accounting software that has marked its presence in the accounting world. The buzz of this software is not confined to any particular country rather, it is covered people all across the globe. Though, QuickBooks is considered to be the best accounting software, but at the same time the fact that it is prone to certain errors can’t be denied. There are multiple error codes that can be encountered by the users worldwide, and one such error is QuickBooks error code 6150, -1006, which is accompanied with four digits i.e. -1006. If you are facing this error code and unable to get out of it then need not to worry. We’re here to help you!
We understand the fact that it might be difficult for you to fix the QuickBooks error code 6150 issue, keeping this in mind we have come up with this article, where we will be discussing the various facts associated with this error, and also some quick fixes to get rid of this error.
What is QuickBooks Error 6150, -1006?
QuickBooks error code 6150, -1006 has been reported by a large number of users in the recent times. This error code pops-up on the screen with an error message stating:
“We’re sorry. QuickBooks couldn’t open the company file.” and We’ll try to fix the issue. Click start to begin. Click Start to begin. If the problem continues, contact support for assistance and report error codes: (-6150, -1006)”.
As said above, QuickBooks error 6150, -1006 is one of the most commonly seen errors that block the company file access. This error code can be seen when you try to establish, open or work on the company file of QuickBooks. This error code means that the company file could have certain issues that need to be fixed. Error code -6150, -1006 ends up in damaging or corrupting company file and hinder the smooth working of the software. There can be a plenty of reasons behind the occurrence of this error, a few of which will be discussed later in this article.
You may also read: How to Overcome from QuickBooks Error 6210, 0?
Causes of QuickBooks error code 6150, -1006
QuickBooks Error code 6150, -1006 can be encountered due to a variety of reasons, a few of which we have listed below:
- In case QuickBooks is not installed properly on the system, then this kind of error can be encountered.
- If the windows registry files are damaged or corrupted.
- Another factor that might end up in this kind of error can be, when there is any kind of virus or malware attack.
- This kind of error can also be seen when you try to save QuickBooks Macintosh file while using QuickBooks windows mistakenly.
- Incorrect extension for QuickBooks file being entered by you might entered with QB.
- In case the QBW or company file is damaged already, then you might have to create a portable backup file.
- Error 6150, -1006 can be seen as a consequence, when you try to open a portable file (.qbm) without opening the software.
- Also if some important QuickBooks related files got deleted mistakenly.
Signs and Symptoms of QuickBooks error code 6150, -1006
Many times users are unable to identify, whether they have actually encountered any such error or not, in such a situation, you are required to keep the below mentioned signs and symptoms. Let us check out each of the signs and symptoms of QuickBooks error code 6150, 1006:
- System crashes frequently, while running the same program.
- Error 6150 gets displayed and also crashes the active program window.
- This error code can also be expected, if the windows run sluggishly and do not respond to the keyboard and mouse inputs properly.
- Another symptom of QuickBooks error code 6150, -1006 can be if the system freezes for a few seconds.
Quick steps to fix QuickBooks error 6150
- In case the QuickBooks error 6150 and 1006 error message is associated with a file-extension of the company file, then you will have to think about replacing the file extension and then you need to save the company file with the right extension.
- You need to ensure and confirm that the QuickBooks company file is initiating on another system.
- In case the file is not updated, then you should try to reinstall QuickBooks software.
- Later on you should save QuickBooks for Macintosh in the mac system and vice versa.
- After that update the system with a good antivirus before opening up the company file.
The steps discussed above might work to solve error code 6150.
Process to get rid of QuickBooks error code 6150, -1006
Now that we have explored the various signs and symptoms of QuickBooks error code 6150, it is time to learn the various methods that can be implemented to fix the issue. So, let us unleash the various methods that can be used to fix this issue:
Process 1: Checking for CryptoWall
In certain cases, the CryptoWall virus and other malicious software might cause this error code, and can prevent you from opening the software. In such a situation, you are recommended to carry out the steps discussed below:
- To begin with, open Windows Start menu.
- Type in file explorer into the search bar, followed by opening the File explorer.
- Search for and open the QuickBooks folder that can be found on C: drive.
- Now spot the files that have words like decrypt or instructions.
In case you find out any files that fit this description, then in that case make sure to reach out to your anti-virus provider.
Process 2: Craft a new QuickBooks company file from scratch
- Start the process by opening QuickBooks Desktop.
- Move to the no company open window, along with that make a new company.
- Navigate to the QuickBooks setup window and then enter the required info.
- After that you need to select create a company option.
- Followed by beginning with creating customers, the charts of accounts (COA) & services etc.
Process 3: Restore from Backup
You are recommended to restore the company file from backup. The steps involved in this process are as follows:
- Navigate to QuickBooks then hit a click on file option.
- Next step is to select open or restore company option.
- Moving ahead, you need to select the restore a backup copy and click on Next.
- Now select local backup option and once again hit Next option.
- In the next step, you need to opt for the location of the company file backup from the look-in drop down menu.
- Go for the backup having .qbb extension.
- Once done with that, you need to tap on open option by hitting next tab.
- Move to the save-in drop down menu and then browse for a preferred location to restore the backup file.
- You need to type in company filename in the file name field, and then ensure the file is saved in the .qbw format.
- Now hit Yes to confirm the overwrite process.
- Finally hit Yes to confirm to delete the entire file.
Process 4: Using Auto data recovery (ADR)
When none of the above methods work in your favor, you are required to opt for the auto data recovery tool and fix the QuickBooks error 6150. The steps involved in this process are as follows:
- In this method, you need to create a new folder with the name of QBTest.
- Locate the .tlg files in the company file folder.
- Once done with that, you need to copy .tlg file from the company file folder and then paste it into the QBTest folder.
- Next, open the QBAuto Data Recovery folder that can be seen inside the company data folder.
- You are then required to copy .QBW.adr file from QuickBooks auto data recovery folder and then paste it into the QBTest folder.
- Moving ahead, you need to remove the .adr from the end of the filename and open QuickBooks software.
- Open the company file from the QBTest folder.
- Now under the file tab, you need to hit a click on the Utilities option and then select the verify data to check if the issue exists.
- Next step is to replace the company file in QuickBooks data folder with the company file from QBTest folder.
- Towards the end of the process, check whether the error is resolved or not.
Limitations of QuickBooks Auto Data Recovery
There are certain limitations of QuickBooks auto data recovery tool. These limitations include:
- QuickBooks auto data recovery is not feasible with QuickBooks Pro, Premier, and Enterprise, which is one of its limitations.
- Auto data recovery is not available for the accountant version.
- There is a limit in size of the file. The file size should not exceed 1.5 GB.
- The QuickBooks desktop should be updated to the latest version.
Read This Also: Install multiple QuickBooks Desktop versions on one computer
Process 5: Using QuickBooks file doctor tool
You can get rid of the error by using the QuickBooks file doctor tool. The steps to be followed are:
- You need to launch QuickBooks file doctor and wait until the screen shows any pop-up of no company open.
- And then move to the file and utilities tab.
- Also hit a click on repair file option and Network problems option.
- You will then have to click on OK tab when the dialog box appears.
- Later on, the application is started by file doctor with admin right. And click on the dialog box, Yes tab.
- You could see a wrench icon to open the QuickBooks file doctor application and click on continue tab.
- Now enter the credentials and log into the file. This will start the file doctor to work on repairing the file.
- You should select the diagnosis file only from the option of advanced settings.
- Next, hit a click on Next tab.
- And after the system prompts, you need to open the file and check if issue persists.
Process 6: Cleaning the virus from the system
- Move to and check the system antivirus. And then update the antivirus program like the MacAfee.
- After that, the antivirus will activate and then you will have to scan the system.
- Followed by, fixing the viruses or malware on the system.
- This is expected to fix the issue up to certain extent.
Process 7: Open a sample company file installed locally
You can open a sample company file installed on the system locally, by carrying out the steps below:
- The initial step is to open the QuickBooks without company file.
- Choose open sample file.
- Next step is to select any company file.
- Also hit a click on OK tab.
- After that, click on Yes, when asked to update the sample file.
In case this sample file opens up successfully, then it means that there is some issue in the company file and you will have to repair it.
Implementing any of the above methods can help in fixing the issue. However, if the QuickBooks error code 6150, -1006 continues to trouble you, then feel free to contact our QuickBooks error support team using our helpline i.e. 1(800)761-1787. Our team of certified professionals will fix the error for you, and provide you with the best possible support services for all kinds of accounting related issues.
Other helpful articles: