Learn how to troubleshoot the QuickBooks error code -6150, -1006 :
QuickBooks is one of the finest accounting software that has marked its presence in the accounting milieu. Alhough the software is revered as the best accounting software, at the same time, the fact that it is prone to certain errors can’t be overlooked. There are multiple error codes that can be encountered by users worldwide, and one such error is QuickBooks error code 6150, -1006, which is accompanied by four digits i.e., -1006.
Have you attempted to access your company file but were impeded due to QuickBooks Error 6150, -1006? Well, facing issues while accessing the company file is quite infuriating as it leads to undue delay of work. However, don’t worry; our team of certified experts is there to provide you with impeccable solutions for troubleshooting the error. We understand the fact that it might be difficult for you to fix the QuickBooks error code 6150 issue; keeping this in mind, we have come up with this article, where we will be discussing the various facts associated with this error and also some quick fixes to get rid of this error.
A brief insight into the QuickBooks Error 6150, -1006
QuickBooks error code 6150, -1006 has been reported by a large number of users. This error code pops up on the screen with an error message stating:
|Warning||We’re sorry. QuickBooks couldn’t open the company file.|
We’ll try to fix the issue. Click start to begin. Click Start to begin.
If the problem continues, contact support for assistance and report error codes: (-6150, -1006)”.
QuickBooks error 6150, -1006 is one of the most common errors that block the company file access. This error code shows up while establishing, opening, or working on the company file of QuickBooks. This error code infers that the company file is fraught with certain issues. Error code -6150, -1006 ends up in damaging or corrupting company file and hinder the smooth working of the software. There can be a vast array of reasons behind the occurrence of this error. A few of the reasons are discussed in the following section.
You may also read: How to Overcome from QuickBooks Error 6210, 0?
Causes of QuickBooks error code 6150, -1006
This issue can show up due to a variety of reasons. The most common ones are entailed below:
- QuickBooks is not installed properly on the system.
- Damaged Windows registry files.
- Another factor that might end up in this kind of error can be when there is any kind of virus or malware attack.
- This kind of error can also be seen when you try to save QuickBooks Macintosh file while using QuickBooks Windows mistakenly.
- Incorrect extension for QuickBooks file.
- In case the QBW or company file is damaged already, then you might have to create a portable backup file.
- Accessing a portable file (.qbm) without opening the software.
- QuickBooks-related files were deleted inadvertently.
Signs and Symptoms of QuickBooks error code 6150, -1006
Many times users are unable to identify whether they have actually encountered any such error or not; in such a situation, take note of the below-mentioned signs and symptoms. Let us check out each of the signs and symptoms of QuickBooks error code 6150, 1006:
- The system frequently crashes while running the same program.
- Error 6150 displays and crashes the program window.
- Windows runs sluggishly and does not respond to the keyboard and mouse inputs properly.
- Another symptom of QuickBooks error code 6150, -1006 can be if the system freezes for a few seconds.
Quick steps to fix QuickBooks error 6150
- If the QuickBooks error 6150 and 1006 error incites due to a file extension of the company file, then you will have to think about replacing the file extension, and then you need to save the company file with the right extension.
- You need to ensure and confirm that the QuickBooks company file is initiated on another system.
- If the file is not updated, try to reinstall QuickBooks software.
- Later on, you should save QuickBooks for Macintosh in the mac system and vice versa.
- After that, update the system with a good antivirus before opening up the company file.
The steps discussed above might work to solve error code 6150 for you but if it doesn’t, then go through the below-given methods.
8 Walkways for Rectifying the QuickBooks Error Code 6150, -1006
Now that we have explored the various signs and symptoms of QuickBooks error code 6150, it is time to learn the various methods that can be implemented to fix the issue. Go through the various methods below to fix this issue:
Walkway 1: Check for CryptoWall
In certain cases, the CryptoWall virus and other malicious software might cause this error code and can prevent you from opening the software. In such a situation, carry out the steps discussed below:
- To begin with, open the Windows Start menu.
- Type in File explorer into the search bar, followed by opening File Explorer.
- Search for the QuickBooks folder in the C: drive. Access it.
- Now, spot the files that have words like Decrypt or instructions.
If you find out any files that fit this description, then in that case, make sure to reach out to your anti-virus provider.
Walkway 2: Create a new QuickBooks company file
- Start the process by opening QuickBooks Desktop.
- Move to the No company open window, and along with that, click on Make a new company.
- Navigate to the QuickBooks setup window and then enter the required info.
- After that, you need to choose the Create a company option.
- Follow it up by creating customers, charts of accounts (COA) & services, etc.
Walkway 3: Restore Backup
You need to restore the company file from backup. The steps involved in this process are as follows:
- Navigate to QuickBooks, then hit on the File option.
- The next step is to choose the Open or restore company option.
- Moving ahead, you need to hit on the Restore a backup copy option and click on Next.
- Now choose the Local backup option and once again hit the Next option.
- Afterward, you need to opt for the location of the company file backup from the look-in drop-down menu.
- Go for the backup having the .qbb extension.
- Once done with that, you need to tap on the open option by hitting the Next tab.
- Move to the save-in drop-down menu and then Browse for a preferred location to restore the backup file.
- Type in the Company filename in the file name field, and then save it in the .Qbw format.
- Now, hit Yes to confirm the overwrite process.
- Finally, hit Yes to confirm to delete the entire file.
Walkway 4: Make use of the Auto Data Recovery (ADR)
If the above methods fail to work, opt for the auto data recovery tool to fix the QuickBooks company file error 6150. The steps involved in this process are as follows:
- In this method, you need to create a new folder with the name of QBTest.
- Locate the .tlg files in the company file folder.
- Once done with that, you need to copy the .Tlg file from the company file folder and then paste it into the QBTest folder.
- Next, access the QBAuto Data Recovery folder inside the company data folder.
- Then, copy the .QBW.adr file from the QuickBooks auto data recovery folder and then paste it into the QBTest folder.
- Afterward, remove “.Adr” from the end of the filename and open QuickBooks software.
- Open the company file from the QBTest folder.
- Now under the File tab, you need to hit click on the Utilities option. Thereafter, choose the Verify data option to check if the issue exists.
- Next step is to replace the company file in the QuickBooks data folder with the company file from the QBTest folder.
- Toward the end of the process, the error must be rectified. Check for the same, whether it still exists or not.
Limitations of QuickBooks Auto Data Recovery
There are certain limitations of the QuickBooks auto data recovery tool. These include:
- QuickBooks auto data recovery is not feasible with QuickBooks Pro, Premier, and Enterprise, which is one of its limitations.
- Auto data recovery is not available for the accountant version.
- There is a limit on the size of the file. The file size should not exceed 1.5 GB.
- QuickBooks desktop should be updated to the latest version.
Read This Also: Install multiple QuickBooks Desktop versions on one computer
Walkway 5: Conform to the QuickBooks file doctor tool
You can get rid of the error by using the QuickBooks file doctor tool. Follow the directions below:
- You need to launch QuickBooks file doctor and wait until the screen shows any pop-up of No company open.
- And then, move to the File and Utilities tab.
- Then, hit click on the Repair file option and Network problems option.
- You will then have to click on the OK tab when the dialog box appears.
- The application starts with the File doctor with admin rights. On the dialog box, hit on Yes.
- You could see a Wrench icon to open the file doctor application and click on the Continue tab.
- Now, enter the credentials and log into the file. This will start the file doctor to work on repairing the file.
- You should choose the Diagnosis file only from the option of Advanced settings.
- Next, hit on the Next tab.
- And after the system prompts, you need to open the file and check if the issue persists.
Walkway 6: Clean the PC of any virus
- Move to and access the system antivirus. If required, Update the antivirus program (like MacAfee.)
- After that, the antivirus will Activate, and then you will have to Scan the system.
- Followed by, Fixing the viruses or malware on the system.
- This is expected to fix the issue up to a certain extent.
Walkway 7: Open a sample company file installed locally
You can open a sample company file installed on the system locally by carrying out the steps below:
- The initial step is to open QuickBooks without the company file.
- Choose the Open sample file option.
- The next step is to choose any company file.
- Also, hit click on the OK tab.
- Subsequently, click on Yes, when asked to update the sample file.
In case this sample file opens up successfully, then it means that there is some issue in the company file, and you will have to repair it.
Read Also: How to Troubleshoot QuickBooks Error 323?
Walkway 8: Update the QuickBooks software
Updating the QuickBooks software goes a long way toward rectifying a vast myriad of errors in the software- the Error 6150, -1006 being no exception. As such, update the software by performing the below-mentioned steps:
- When you are in the QuickBooks software, head to the Help menu and hit on the Update QuickBooks option.
- Afterward, Choose the updates to download and sail to the Get Updates option.
- Once the update gets finished, make an exit from QuickBooks.
- Check if the error got ousted from your system.
Implementing any of the above methods can help in fixing the issue. However, if the QuickBooks error code 6150, -1006 continues to trouble you, then feel free to contact our QuickBooks error support team using our helpline, i.e., 1(800)761-1787. Our team of certified professionals will fix the error for you and provide you with the best possible support services for all kinds of accounting-related issues.
FAQs related to error 6150, -1006
A.1. QuickBooks Error 6150, -1006 belongs to the category of company file errors that typically appear when users try to access or modify their company files.
A.2. Some of the most typical causes of Error 6150 are:
1. The size of the company file may be too large.
2. The company file may be corrupted for assorted reasons.
3. The QuickBooks company file may have an incorrect extension.
4. User might have deleted important QuickBooks files.
5. The previous update or installation of QuickBooks was incompletely set up.
A.3. The error can be fixed by conforming to the following walkways:
1: Check for CryptoWall.
2: Create a new QuickBooks company file.
3: Restoring the backup of the company file.
4: Use the ADR tool.
5: Use QuickBooks File Doctor Tool.
Other helpful articles: