10 DIY solutions to Fix QuickBooks cannot switch to multi-user mode or QuickBooks multi-user mode not working problem:
QuickBooks multi-user mode allows multiple users to work on a QuickBooks company file simultaneously. But, switching from single-user mode to multi-user mode can incite technical issues sometimes. Users might not be able to use of the software at all in the multi-user mode, or errors like QuickBooks Error Code H202, -6000 series errors, etc. could show up on their computer screens.
Such errors get transferred to the server computer without showing up on the system. If that occurs, you might encounter the warning notice ” QBDBMgrN was not running on this system.” This issue relating to multi-user mode may slow down your productivity, keep you behind your business goals and cause monetary losses. So, what will you do while using your systems in multi-user mode and multi-user-related issues occur?
Well, go through this article until the end to find the solutions to any QuickBooks multi-user mode issues that may pop up and stall your work. However, in case you are in a hurry, you can also call our 24×7 QuickBooks support team at our helpline, i.e., 1-800-761-1778, and sit back while we provide you with quick and precise solutions.
Related article: How to Troubleshoot “Unable to Print” Problem in QuickBooks?
What is QuickBooks Multi-User Mode Not Working Error and It’s Primary Causes?
A compelling feature offered to QuickBooks users, multi-user mode allows more than one user to work on the same company file at the same time. In order to make use of this software, each user must have the QuickBooks license on the workstation. Some technical glitches and having problems with the multi user mode error at times may not allow users to access company files simultaneously in multi-user mode. This error generally occurs when users try to launch a company file that is stored on a server. Another common issue faced by users is that QuickBooks continues to work in a single-user mode.
Note: To setup multi-user mode in QuickBooks desktop read the following article.
Possible Causes that Might Lead to Multi-user Mode Issues in QuickBooks?
One or more of the following causes may trigger multi-user mode not working error:
- QuickBooks not installed on the server can lead to this problem.
- Inappropriately configured hosting settings.
- System firewall or antivirus software may be obstructing communication between user computers.
- The database server doesn’t have the right to open the QuickBooks company file.
- Windows file permissions not set correctly.
- QuickBooks database server manager not installed on your server computer or it is unable to open the company file.
- There is a Corrupted .ND file in your database.
- You might get this error if QuickBooksDBXX services not started yet.
Prerequisites Before Resolving the Multi-User Issues
You can follow the steps to fix the error, also you can check these prerequisites:
- Ensure to install the QuickBooks database server manager.
- Also, install the same version of server manager, as of the QuickBooks version.
Read Also: How do I fix error code 12029 in QuickBooks?
Troubleshooting Steps for QuickBooks Multi-User Mode Not Working Error
It is the most frequently encountered error you will face when switching between single-user and multi-user modes, including H101, H202, H303, and H505. Here, in this section, we unravel practical steps recommended by our experts to assist you in getting rid of the QuickBooks multi-user mode not working issue.
Solution 1: Download and run QuickBooks tools hub program
- Initially, close your QuickBooks desktop.
- After that Download the recent version of the QuickBooks Tool Hub program and save the file somewhere you can easily find it.
- After that open the downloaded file names with QuickBooksToolHub.exe.
- Now follow the on-screen commands to install & agree the Terms and Conditions of the tool.
- Once the installation finishes, you need to double-click the QuickBooks tool hub icon to open the tool hub program.
Step 1: Install and Run QuickBooks File Doctor tool
This constitutes one of those steps you can resort to upon receiving most of the QuickBooks issues.
- Open the tool hub program and navigate to the Company file issues.
- Next, choose Run QuickBooks File Doctor program.
- It will take some time to download and run on your system.
It will help you analyze if your computer system is aptly set up using QuickBooks multi-user mode. Afterward, run the QuickBooks file doctor tool. Inspect whether the problem resolved.
Step 2: Use the QuickBooks Database Server Manager
- Open tool hub program and navigate to the Network Issues tab.
- After that choose QuickBooks database server manager option.
- Go to QuickBooks Database Server Manager on the server by typing the database in the Start menu.
- If you cannot locate folder locations, use Browse to find the folder where company file/files reside.
- At last, click OK and then the Start Scan button.
These steps should fix firewall permissions. Now, double-check if the QuickBooks Multi-user mode not working issue resolved.
Solution 2: Verify host mode on all user computers
- Start your QuickBooks software and proceed to the QuickBooks File menu and then Utilities. If you find Host Multi-User Access on the list, go to a different computer.
- If you spot Stop Hosting Multi-User Access on the list, choose that and Disable hosting to enable QuickBooks single-user mode.
- After turning off the hosting mode on all systems, check if the multi-user mode not working error resolved.
Solution 3: Ensure that the QuickBooks services are running properly
To utilize QuickBooks with multi-user mode, the services offered by the software, such as QuickBooksDBYY (YY is the year of QuickBooks) along with QBCFMonitorService, must have been running on the server computer.
- Go to the Windows search bar and search for Service. msc.
- Check if QuickBooksDBXX service is in the Services window list. If the service is unavailable, follow these steps –
- If you use the Database Server Manager, ensure that it is installed on the server. QuickBooks Desktop (for different years) installed on the computer- different corresponding Database Server Manager should be installed.
- If the complete program runs on the system, enable hosting on the server.
- Next, double-click the QuickBooksDBXX service, and the value should appear Automatic within the Startup type on the screen. Service started can be Running or Start button.
- Now choose to restart the QuickBooksDBXX service for the first, second, and following failures under the Recovery tab.
- Perform the same steps from 1 to 4 for the QBCFMonitorService.
Now, open your computer and launch QuickBooks with multi-user mode. Subsequently, determine if QuickBooks multi-user mode is not working error resolved. If the issue is still there, then check the QuickBooksDBXX service. It must be a part of the administrator group. Also, it must have to contain all the necessary permissions.
Related Post: How to install QuickBooks Enterprise for the first time?
Solution 4: Check that QuickBooks must be able to send data
Perform the following two-steps solution to fix multi-user mode problem:
Step 1: Change the settings of firewall and antivirus
Firewall or antivirus may be the leading cause of this error. In case the issue is born out of a firewall setting, you can set up exceptions in the settings and allow QuickBooks to transmit data. If your antivirus is causing the issue, configure it to fix the error.
- Hit a click on the Windows key and then the Control panel.
- Find and click on the Windows firewall option.
- Next, click on the prompt to allow “An app through Windows firewall option.”
- Now tap on Change settings and then click on the checkbox under the public list for the QuickBooks application.
- Next, press OK and click on the Public for the application.
- Finally, run the QuickBooks in the multi-user mode to check if the snag fixed.
Step 2: Test path and ensure QuickBooks can communicate with the server
This step will require you to turn on Network Discovery.
- Press the Windows button and R key (Windows +R keys) to open the Run command, type ping [servername], and hit Enter key.
- On your computer, use UNC (Universal Naming Convention) to reach the shared folder in the server.
- Lastly, use UNC path to switch back to the company file of QuickBooks.
Step 3: Go to the company file following the UNC path
Step 4: Create a new company file folder
- Herein, Create a new folder for the company file. Ascertain to make it on the Host system.
- Heading forward, you need to Set up the folder and allow Windows to access permissions for the new folder.
- It should be kept in mind that the company files can be shared across systems.
- Now, Copy the .qbw file to the new folder and also check if the company file is in multi-user mode opening. If it opens up correctly, then the issue has now been resolved.
Step 5: Configure Firewall exception for QuickBooks Program and Port
- Aft first, hit on the “Windows” button.
- In the “Search” box, type “Windows Firewall” to get the Windows Firewall setting.
- In the left sidebar, choose the “Firewall advanced options.”
- The “Advanced settings” page is where you’ll find the inbound and outbound rules.
- Select the “New Rules” option after choosing “Inbound Rules.”
- After choosing “Port” in the “New Rule” Windows, choose “TCP.”
- Add the Port based on the version of QuickBooks you are using.
- Repetition of the prior actions needs to be assured with the outbound rules being left out.
- For QuickBooks Desktop 2019, enter 8019, XXXX.
- For QuickBooks Desktop 2020, enter 8019, XXXX.
- Type port Numbers 8019, 56728, and 55378–55382 for QuickBooks Desktop 2018.
- Type port Numbers 8019, 56727, and 55373-55377 for QuickBooks Desktop 2017.
- Add “QuickBooks” to the Firewall.
- All of the steps mentioned above are the same; except, this time, rather than choosing a port, we’ll add QuickBooks Program to our inbound and outbound firewall rules.
- Opt for the “New Rule” from the “Advanced firewall configuration.”
- This time around, choose the application, then navigate to the directory where the software’s executable File is located.
OnlineBackup.exe — IntuitSyncManager.exe — QBUpdate.exe — QBLaunch.exe —QBCFMonitorService.exe — QBServerUtilityMgr.exe — QBDBMgrN.exe — QBW32.exe QuickBooksMessaging.exe — FileMovementExe.exe — FileManagement.exe — DBManagerExe.exe Dbmlsync.exe — AutoBackupExe.exe
- Add each of the above-mentioned files to the Inbound Rules.
- Following that, follow the same steps to apply the outbound Rules.
- Last, restart your computer and verify that the problem has been resolved.
Solution 5: Rename .QBW, .TLG and .QBW.ND
- In this method, you need to open the QuickBooks desktop company file.
- And then, press the F2 key.
- The product information window appears on the screen. And then, under the file information, you can spot the location of the company file. Also, the .TLG and .QBW.ND files can be located in the same folder.
- Right-click on the files to Rename them.
Solution 6: Add your server to Windows host file
- The first step in this process is to use the notepad on the system facing the issue and access the Windows hosts file.
- After that, you can find the host file at (C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\Etc\).
- Next step in the process is to access notepad as Admin if required.
- Then type in the Server’s IP address.
- Moving ahead, use the tab key and then type in the Server name.
- Now hit a click on the Save option from the file menu.
- After that, make sure to hit Exit tab.
Solution 7: Switch to multi-user hosting
- At first, you would have to launch the QuickBooks application and update the company file to the latest version.
- Pick the File menu and head to the Utility tab.
- Choose the Host multi-user access option.
- Lastly, if the previously hosted multi-user setup is present then perform other related steps.
Solution 8: Ping the server from a workstation
- For this method, open the Start menu on the server and workstations encountering the error.
- Now type in Network and then open the Network and sharing center.
- And then, hit a click on Change advanced sharing, and from there, you should Turn on network discovery and file and printer sharing.
- Next step in the process is to get the server’s name.
- Moving ahead, type CMD in the Run window and then hit Enter key.
- Followed by, in the CMD window, enter Ipconfig/all text and then hit Enter key.
- Now you will see the server name next to the Hostname on the screen.
- Next step is to note down the Hostname and keep it safe.
- To test the server, you need to move to the workstations.
- After that, click on the Start menu and open up the Run command window.
- Now, type in CMD in the Run window.
- The last step is to type “ping_[your server name]” and then Enter. And then type in the Server name without the brackets.
To store the company file, you must create a new folder on the hosting system. In addition, you’ll need a folder and Windows access to share the company files. Now, you need to create an additional folder, then copy or transfer your .qbw file into the newly created location for storage. Try using QuickBooks in a multi-user to check if the issue has been solved.
Solution 9: Configuring the default setting
You can configure the default setting and can fix the issue. This will resolve the multi-user mode not working error. The steps to be followed over here are as follows:
- Initially, you need to open QuickBooks and click on the File tab.
- After that, click on Utilities and select the option to Host multi-user access.
- Also, add the desired number of users with the company file.
- Follow it up by choosing Cancel. If the Multi-user mode is already enabled, then disable it.
- The final step is to create different login credentials for other users, and then the setup is complete.
Solution 10: Reinstalling the QuickBooks software
You can reinstall QuickBooks software to fix the ongoing issue. The steps to be followed for this process are as follows:
- Firstly you should hit a click on the Start tab and then move to the Control panel.
- After that, look for QuickBooks from Programs and features.
- Now, hit a click on QuickBooks and carry out the un-installation process.
- Once done with that, move to the official website of Intuit and download the required version of QuickBooks.
- Finally, click on the Multi-user mode hosting and switch to it.
We have written this article after consulting with our QuickBooks enterprise customer support team. Most of the procedures described herein are 10 DIY solutions, you should have no trouble performing them independently.
Nevertheless, if you require assistance with QuickBooks multi-user mode not working error, or the issue persists even after performing the troubleshooting instructions given above in this article, or the problem reoccurs repeatedly, then feel free to contact our 24×7 active assistance helpline via 1-800-761-1787. We’ll happy to help you.
Frequently Asked Questions
To enable multi-user mode in QuickBooks, please follow these steps:
1. Firstly, you need to make sure that you have installed QuickBooks on all the systems that will be used in the multi-user mode.
2. After that go to the File menu and choose Utilities option.
3. Now hit a click on Host Multi-User Access. A message will appear on the display asking you to confirm that you want to enable multi-user access. You need to hit a click on Yes.
4. Once the configuration is complete, go to the File menu and choose Switch to Multi-User Mode.
5. Now other users can access the company file from their systems by opening QuickBooks or selecting Open or Restore Company option from the File menu.
If the QuickBooks is stuck in single-user mode, then here are a few troubleshooting steps you can try:
1. On the computer that is hosting the company file, you need to open the Task Manager by pressing Ctrl + Shift + Esc keys and then end all QB processes that are currently running in the background.
2. After that check all the systems are connected to the same LAN and the network connectivity is stable.
3. Lastly, you need to check that there are no firewall/antivirus software blocking the access to your company file.
QuickBooks Desktop hosting and multi-user mode are two different features that allow multiple users to access the same QuickBooks company file simultaneously.
You can resolve this problem by turning on the multi-user hosting option. To do this, you need to navigate to the File menu and then choose Utilities option. After that choose Host Multi-User Access option. That’s it!
You might also like: