Steps to Fix QuickBooks can not switch to multi-user mode or QuickBooks multi-user mode not working problem
QuickBooks multi-user mode allows multiple users to collaborate on the same QuickBooks file at the same time. But switching from single-mode to multi-user mode may sometimes cause certain technical glitches. Users may not be able to make use of the software at all in the multi-user mode, or errors such as QuickBooks Error code H202 may appear on their computer screens. Not just that, these errors may as well pass on to your server computer without showing up on your computer. If that happens – you may receive an error message “QBDBMgrN was not running on this computer.” These issues related to multi-user mode may slow down your productivity, keep you behind your business goals and cause monetary losses.
So what do you do when you have to use your systems in multi-user mode, and such issues occur? Read this article till the end to find solutions to any QuickBooks multi-user mode error that appear and stall your work. In case you are in a hurry, you can also call our 24×7 QuickBooks support team at 1-800-761-1778 and sit back while we provide you with quick and precise solutions.
Related article: Ways to resolve QuickBooks payroll error 15215?
What is QuickBooks multi-user mode not working error?
A compelling feature offered to QuickBooks users, multi-user mode allows more than one user to work on the same company file at the same time. In order to make use of this software, each user must have the QuickBooks license on the workstation. Some technical glitches and errors at times may not allow users to access company files simultaneously in multi-user mode. This error generally occurs when users try to launch a company file that is stored on a server. Another common issue faced by the users is that QuickBooks continues to work in a single-user mode.
Note: To setup multi-user mode in QuickBooks desktop read the following article.
What Causes QuickBooks multi-user mode not working problem?
One or more of the following causes may trigger QuickBooks multi-user mode not working error:
- QuickBooks isn’t installed on the server
- Inappropriately configured hosting settings
- System firewall or antivirus software may be obstructing communication between user computers.
- The database server doesn’t have rights to open the QuickBooks company file.
- Windows file permissions aren’t set properly
- QuickBooks database server manager is not installed on your server computer.
- .ND file is corrupted, damage or incorrect
- Your QuickBooksDBXX services is not started yet
Prerequisites before resolving the issue
The user can follow the steps to fix the error, the user can check these prerequisites:
- The user needs to ensure to install the QuickBooks database server manager.
- Also, installing the same version of server manager, as is the QuickBooks version being used.
Read Also: How to resolve QuickBooks error code 12029?
Troubleshooting steps for QuickBooks multi-user mode not working issue
Some of the most common errors that you receive after switching from single-user mode to multi-user mode are H101, H202, H303, and H505. Below are five steps suggested by our experts that can help you get rid of QuickBooks multi-user mode not working error.
Solution 1: Install and Run QuickBooks File Doctor tool
This is one of those steps that you can resort to upon receiving most of the QuickBooks issues. Download the QB File Doctor tool (if not integrated with your QuickBooks) from the official website of Intuit. It will help you analyze if your computer system is aptly set-up for using QuickBooks multi-user mode. Once installed, run the QuickBooks file doctor tool and see if the problem has been resolved.
Note: You can download file doctor using QuickBooks tool hub program.
Solution 2: Make Use of QuickBooks Database Server Manager
- Go to QuickBooks Database Server Manager on the server by typing the database in the Start menu.
- If you are unable to locate folder locations, use “Browse” for locating the folder where company file/files are stored. At last, click OK and then the Scan button.
These steps should fix firewall permissions. Now, check again if the multi-user mode not working issue been resolved.
Solution 3: Verify host mode on all user computers
- Start the user computer and go to the QuickBooks File menu and then Utilities. If you find Host Multi-User Access on the list, go to a different computer.
- If you spot Stop Hosting Multi-User Access on the list, select that and disable hosting to enable QuickBooks single-user mode.
- After it’s certain that the hosting mode is turned off on all user computers, check if the multi-user mode not working error has been fixed.
Read this also: Fix QuickBooks desktop doesn’t start error like a Pro
Solution 4: Make sure the QuickBooks services are running
In order to use QuickBooks in multi-user mode, the software’s services such as QuickBooksDBYY (YY is the year of QuickBooks) and QBCFMonitorService should be running on the server computer.
- Go to Windows search bar and search for service.msc
- Check if QuickBooksDBXX service is in the Services window list. If the service is unavailable, follow these steps –
- If you use the Database Server Manager, ensure that it is installed on the server. QuickBooks Desktop (for different years) installed on the computer- different corresponding Database Server Manager should be installed.
- If the complete program is run on the system, hosting must be enabled on the server.
- Next, double-click QuickBooksDBXX service and the value should appear Automatic within Startup type on the screen. Service started can be Running or Start button.
- Select restart the QuickBooksDBXX service for the first, second and following failures under the Recovery tab.
- Perform the same steps from 1 to 4 for the QBCFMonitorService.
Now, go to the user computer and open QuickBooks in multi-user mode and check if QuickBooks multi-user mode not working issue has been resolved. If the problem still exists, check membership of QuickBooksDBXX service. It should be a part of the administrator group. Also, it should include all the necessary permissions.
Solution 5: QuickBooks must be able to send data
Perform the following two-steps solution to fix multi-user mode problem:
Step 1: Change the settings of firewall and antivirus
Firewall or antivirus may be the main cause of QB multi-user mode not working error. In case the issue is born out of firewall setting, you can set-up exceptions in the settings and allow QuickBooks for transmitting data. If your antivirus is causing the issue, configure it to fix the error.
- Click on the windows key and then Control panel.
- Find and click on the Windows firewall option.
- Next, click on the prompt to allow “an app through windows firewall option.”
- Tap on change settings and then click on checkbox under the public list for QuickBooks application.
- Press OK and click on the public for the application.
- Try to run QuickBooks in the multi-user mode and check if the error is fixed.
Step 2: Test path and ensure QuickBooks can communicate with the server
This step will require you to turn on Network Discovery.
- Press the Windows button and R key (Windows +R keys) to open the run command and type ping [servername] and hit Enter key.
- On the user computer, use UNC (Universal Naming Convention) to reach the shared folder in the server.
Step 3: Go to the company file following the UNC path
Step 4: Create a new company file folder
Read this Also: Fix data damage on your QuickBooks desktop company file
Solution 6: Rename .QBW.TLG and .QBW.ND
- In this method, the user needs to open the QuickBooks desktop company file.
- And then, the user needs to press the F2 key.
- Moving ahead, the product information window appears on the screen. And then, under the file information, the user can spot the location of the company file. Also, the .TLG and .QBW.ND files can be located in the same folder.
- Right click on the files to rename them.
Solution 7: Add your server to windows host file
- The very first step in this process is to use the notepad on the system facing the issue, access the windows hosts file.
- After that, the user can find the host file at (C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\Etc\).
- The next step in the process is to open notepad as admin, if required.
- Then, type in the server’s IP address.
- Moving ahead, the user needs to use the tab key and then type in the server name.
- Now, click on the save option from the file menu.
- After that make sure to hit Exit.
- The last step is to lookout, if issue of QuickBooks multi-user mode not working is fixed.
Solution 8: Ping the server from a workstation
- For this method, the user needs open the start menu on the server and workstations encountering the error.
- Now, type in Network and then open the network and sharing center.
- And then, the user is supposed to click on change advanced sharing, and from there the user should turn on network discovery and file and printer sharing.
- The next step in the process is to get the name of the server.
- Moving ahead, the user needs to type CMD in the run window and then hit Enter.
- Followed by, in the CMD window, enter ipconfig/all text and then hit Enter.
- And then, the user will see the server name next to the host name on the screen.
- The next step is to note down the host name and keep it safely.
- In order to test the server, the user needs to move to the workstations.
- The user is then required to click on the start menu and then open up the run command window.
- Followed by, typing in the CMD in the Run window.
- The last step in the process is to type “ping_[your server name],” and then hit enter. And then type in the server name without the brackets.
For the company file, create a new folder on the hosting system. Also, you would require folder and Windows access for sharing the company files. Now, create a new folder and paste or move the .qbw file to the new storage location. Try using QuickBooks in multi-user mode and see if the issue has been resolved.
Solution 9: Configuring the default setting
The user can configure the default setting and can fix the issue. This will resolve the multi user mode not working error. The steps to be followed over here are as follows:
- The very first step is to open QuickBooks and then click on files tab.
- After that, click on utilities and also select the option to host multi-user access.
- Also, add the desired number of users with the company file.
- Followed by, clicking on cancel, in case the multi-user mode is already enabled, then you will be asked to disable it.
- The last step is to create different login credentials for different users and then setup is complete to be used.
Solution 10: Reinstalling the QuickBooks software
The user can reinstall QuickBooks software, in order to fix the QuickBooks multi-user mode not working issue. The steps to be followed for this process are as follows:
- At first, you should hit a click on the start tab and then move to the control panel.
- After that, look for QuickBooks from programs and features.
- Now you are required to hit a click on QuickBooks and carry out uninstallation process.
- Once done with that, move to the official website of Intuit and then download the required version of QuickBooks.
- Finally, hit a click on the multi-user mode hosting and switch to it.
We have created this article after consulting with our team of QuickBooks enterprise customer support. Most of the steps provided herein are DIY and you should have no trouble performing them on your own. Nevertheless, if you need assistance with QuickBooks multi-user mode not working or the issue still persists after performing the troubleshooting steps in this article or the issue reoccurs – feel free to contact our 24×7 active assistance team at 1-800-761-1787.
You might also like: