11 DIY solutions to Fix QuickBooks cannot switch to multi-user mode or QuickBooks multi-user mode not working problem:
QuickBooks multi-user mode allows multiple users to work with the QuickBooks company file simultaneously. But, switching from single-user mode to multi-user mode can cause technical issues sometimes. Users might not be able to use of the software at all in the multi-user mode, or errors like QuickBooks Error Code H202, -6000 series errors, etc. could show up on their computer screens. Not just that, these errors could also may be transferred to your server computer and not show up on your system. If that occurs, you might encounter the warning notice ” QBDBMgrN was not running on this system.” This issue relating to multi-user mode may slow down your productivity, keep you behind your business goals and cause monetary losses.
So, here question raise that what will you do when you have to use your systems in multi-user mode, and multi-user related issues occur? Well, go through this article till the end to find out the solutions to any QuickBooks multi-user mode error that may pop up and stall your work. However, in case you are in a hurry, you can also call our 24×7 QuickBooks support team at our helpline i.e., 1-800-761-1778 and sit back while we provide you with quick and precise solutions.
Related article: How to turn on Advanced Inventory In QuickBooks Enterprise?
What is QuickBooks multi-user mode not working error?
A compelling feature offered to QuickBooks users, multi-user mode allows more than one user to work on the same company file at the same time. In order to make use of this software, each user must have the QuickBooks license on the workstation. Some technical glitches and errors at times may not allow users to access company files simultaneously in multi-user mode. This error generally occurs when users try to launch a company file that is stored on a server. Another common issue faced by users is that QuickBooks continues to work in a single-user mode.
Note: To setup multi-user mode in QuickBooks desktop read the following article.
What causes QuickBooks multi-user mode not working issue?
One or more of the following causes may trigger QuickBooks multi-user mode not working error:
- QuickBooks isn’t installed on the server.
- Inappropriately configured hosting settings.
- System firewall or antivirus software may be obstructing communication between user computers.
- The database server doesn’t have rights to open the QuickBooks company file.
- Windows file permissions aren’t set properly.
- QuickBooks database server manager is not installed on your server computer.
- .ND file is corrupted, damage or incorrect.
- Your QuickBooksDBXX services is not started yet.
Prerequisites before resolving the multi-user issues
You can follow the steps to fix the error, also you can check these prerequisites:
- Ensure to install the QuickBooks database server manager.
- Also, installing the same version of server manager, as is the QuickBooks version being used.
Read Also: How do I fix error code 12029 in QuickBooks?
Troubleshooting steps for QuickBooks multi-user mode not working error message
It is the most frequently encountered errors you will encounter when switching between single-user mode and multi-user mode include H101, H202, H303, and H505. Here are 11 advanced steps recommended by our experts to assist you to to get rid of QuickBooks multi-user mode not working issue.
Solution 1: Install and Run QuickBooks File Doctor tool
This is one of those steps that you can resort to upon receiving most of the QuickBooks issues. Download the QB File Doctor tool (if not integrated with your QuickBooks) from the official website of Intuit. It will help you analyze if your computer system is aptly set-up for using QuickBooks multi-user mode. Once installed, run the QuickBooks file doctor tool and see if the problem has been resolved.
Note: You can download file doctor using QuickBooks tool hub program.
Solution 2: Use the QuickBooks Database Server Manager
- Go to QuickBooks Database Server Manager on the server by typing the database in the Start menu.
- If you are unable to locate folder locations, use “Browse” for locating the folder where company file/files are stored. At last, click OK and then the Start Scan button.
These steps should fix firewall permissions. Now, check again if the multi-user mode not working issue been resolved.
Solution 3: Verify host mode on all user computers
- Start your computer and go to the QuickBooks File menu and then Utilities. If you find Host Multi-User Access on the list, go to a different computer.
- If you spot Stop Hosting Multi-User Access on the list, choose that and disable hosting to enable QuickBooks single-user mode.
- After it’s certain that the hosting mode is turned off on all user computers, check if the multi-user mode not working error has been fixed.
Solution 4: Make sure the QuickBooks services are running
To utilize QuickBooks with multi-user mode, the services offered by the software such as QuickBooksDBYY (YY is the year of QuickBooks) along with QBCFMonitorService must have been running on the server computer.
- Go to Windows search bar and search for service.msc.
- Check if QuickBooksDBXX service is in the Services window list. If the service is unavailable, follow these steps –
- If you use the Database Server Manager, ensure that it is installed on the server. QuickBooks Desktop (for different years) installed on the computer- different corresponding Database Server Manager should be installed.
- If the complete program is run on the system, hosting must be enabled on the server.
- Next, double-click QuickBooksDBXX service and the value should appear Automatic within Startup type on the screen. Service started can be Running or Start button.
- Now choose restart the QuickBooksDBXX service for the first, second and following failures under the Recovery tab.
- Perform the same steps from 1 to 4 for the QBCFMonitorService.
Now, you need to open your computer and launch QuickBooks with multi-user mode and then determine if QuickBooks multi-user mode is not working error is resolved. If the issue is still there, then check the QuickBooksDBXX service. It must be a part in the administrator group. Also, it must have to contain all the necessary permissions.
Related Post: How to Fix QuickBooks Desktop Installation Errors?
Solution 5: QuickBooks must be able to send data
Perform the following two-steps solution to fix multi-user mode problem:
Step 1: Change the settings of firewall and antivirus
Firewall or antivirus may be the main cause of QuickBooks multi-user mode not working error. In case the issue is born out of firewall setting, you can set-up exceptions in the settings and allow QuickBooks for transmitting data. If your antivirus is causing the issue, configure it to fix the error.
- Hit a click on the Windows key and then Control panel.
- Find and click on the Windows firewall option.
- Next, click on the prompt to allow “an app through windows firewall option.”
- Now tap on change settings and then click on checkbox under the public list for QuickBooks application.
- Press OK and click on the public for the application.
- Try to run QuickBooks in the multi-user mode and check if the error is fixed.
Step 2: Test path and ensure QuickBooks can communicate with the server
This step will require you to turn on Network Discovery.
- Press the Windows button and R key (Windows +R keys) to open the run command and type ping [servername] and hit Enter key.
- On your computer, use UNC (Universal Naming Convention) to reach the shared folder in the server.
Step 3: Go to the company file following the UNC path
Step 4: Create a new company file folder
- Herein, you are supposed to create a new folder for the company file. Ascertain to make it on the host system.
- Heading forward, you need to set up the folder and allow for windows to access permissions for the new folder.
- It should be kept in mind that the company files can be shared across systems.
- You are now recommended to copy the .qbw file to the new folder and also check if the company file in multiuser mode opening. If it opens up properly, then the issue has now been resolved.
Solution 6: Rename .QBW.TLG and .QBW.ND
- In this method, you need to open the QuickBooks desktop company file.
- And then, press the F2 key.
- Moving ahead, the product information window appears on the screen. And then, under the file information, you can spot the location of the company file. Also, the .TLG and .QBW.ND files can be located in the same folder.
- Right click on the files to rename them.
Read this Also: Methods to fix Gmail couldn’t sign you in from QuickBooks issue
Solution 7: Add your server to windows host file
- The first step in this process is to use the notepad on the system facing the issue, access the windows hosts file.
- After that, you can find the host file at (C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\Etc\).
- Next step in the process is to open notepad as admin, if required.
- Then type in the server’s IP address.
- Moving ahead, use the tab key and then type in the server name.
- Now hit a click on the save option from the file menu.
- After that make sure to hit Exit.
Lookout, if issue of QuickBooks multi-user mode not working is fixed.
Solution 8: Switch to multi-user hosting
- At first, you would have to launch QuickBooks application and update the company file to the latest version.
- Pick the file menu and head to utilities tab.
- Choose the host multi user access option.
- Lastly, if the previously hosted multi-user setup is present then perform other related steps.
Solution 9: Ping the server from a workstation
- For this method, open the start menu on the server and workstations encountering the error.
- Now type in Network and then open the network and sharing center.
- And then, it is supposed to hit a click on change advanced sharing, and from there you should turn on network discovery and file and printer sharing.
- The next step in the process is to get the name of the server.
- Moving ahead, type CMD in the run window and then hit Enter key.
- Followed by, in the CMD window, enter ipconfig/all text and then hit Enter key.
- Now you will see the server name next to the host name on the screen.
- Next step is to note down the host name and keep it safely.
- In order to test the server, you need to move to the workstations.
- After that hit a click on the start menu and then open up the run command window.
- Followed by, typing in the CMD in the Run window.
- Last step in the process is to type “ping_[your server name],” and then hit enter. And then type in the server name without the brackets.
To store the company file, you need to create a new folder on the hosting system. In addition, you’ll need a folder and Windows access to share the company files. Now, you need to create an additional folder, then copy or transfer your .qbw file into the newly created location for storage. Try making use of QuickBooks in multi-user to check if the issue has been solved.
Solution 10: Configuring the default setting
You can configure the default setting and can fix the issue. This will resolve the multi user mode not working error. The steps to be followed over here are as follows:
- Initially, you need to open QuickBooks and then click on files tab.
- After that, hit a click on utilities and also select the option to host multi-user access.
- Also, add the desired number of users with the company file.
- Followed by, clicking on cancel, in case the multi-user mode is already enabled, then you will be asked to disable it.
- The final step is to create different login credentials for different users and then setup is complete to be used.
Solution 11: Reinstalling the QuickBooks software
You can reinstall QuickBooks software, in order to fix the QuickBooks multi-user mode not working issue. The steps to be followed for this process are as follows:
- At first, you should hit a click on the start tab and then move to the control panel.
- After that, look for QuickBooks from programs and features.
- Now you are required to hit a click on QuickBooks and carry out uninstallation process.
- Once done with that, move to the official website of Intuit and then download the required version of QuickBooks.
- Finally, hit a click on the multi-user mode hosting and switch to it.
We have written this article after consulting with our team of QuickBooks enterprise customer support. Most of the procedures described herein are 11 DIY solutions and you should have no trouble performing them on your own. Nevertheless, if you require assistance with QuickBooks multi-user mode not working or the issue still persists even after performing the troubleshooting instructions in this article or the issue reoccurs – feel free to contact our 24×7 active assistance helpline via 1-800-761-1787.
You might also like: