Here is your step-by-step guide to fix QuickBooks Multi-user switching Error H202:
Are you troubling with QuickBooks error code H202 while switching to multi-user? Don’t worry, we are here to help you. Today, we are going over to this error. This is a common error that you may receive while trying to use QuickBooks in multi-user mode. We recommend you read this blog post till the end to learn about all the causes and troubleshooting steps to fix this issue.
This error usually appears when we try to use QuickBooks in multi-user mode or the QuickBooks fails to open a company file that is stored on another system. The error window that pops up may show that the multi-user connection to the server is blocked.
The error message that you receive with the occurrence of error code h202 denotes that the QuickBooks company file is located on a different computer and QuickBooks requires some help connecting. This multi-user mode error may prevent you from opening a company file stored on another computer. You can perform all the solutions provided herein or, alternatively, contact our QuickBooks error support team via our helpline 1-800-761-1787. Our certified accounting professionals can provide you with the best possible support in resolving the error.
You might also like: What is QuickBooks error code 6000?
What is QuickBooks Error H202 (Multi-User Issue)?
Before you dig in deep and find out what factors are responsible for this error, it is better to first find out what this error code is all about. This multi-user mode error may be triggered due to multiple reasons and at varied occasions. Many users have reported to have received it while trying to switch to multi-user mode from single-user mode and opening a QuickBooks company file in multi-user mode. This error type, generally, is seen when you attempt to access company file stored on another system. This error code comes up with an error message stating:
“You are trying to work with a company file that is located on another computer, and this copy of QuickBooks cannot reach the server on that computer. (H202)”
Problem with multi-user hosting setup. QuickBooks could not open the file in multi-user mode. (H202)
If you have also stumbled upon any such error code, then this article can be of great help to you. Herein, we have discussed all about to the QuickBooks error code H202, it’s possible causes, symptoms and few simple troubleshooting methods. So keep read on!
Reasons behind to the QuickBooks Error H202
A communication issue between your QuickBooks desktop and the server may cause this error. Below are some of the most common reasons that cause QuickBooks H202 error:
- Hosting settings are not configured properly.
- Exchange of company data between QB and server is being blocked by the system firewall.
- DNS settings are not inappropriately configured.
- IP address of the Host or the server is not available to QuickBooks Desktop.
- Services like QBCFMonitor or QuickBooksDBXX are not running.
- QuickBooks Database Server Manager has some issues.
- .nd file is corrupted or damaged.
What are the Symptoms of QuickBooks Error Code H202?
Following are the symptoms of Multi-user switching Error H202 in QuickBooks:
- You are not able to switch to multiple-user mode.
- You can’t open a company file located on another computer.
- QuickBooks error code H202 message pops up on your computer screen.
- QuickBooks has gotten slow and freezes or stopped working for a few seconds while using.
- Your windows computer is getting slow.
Read Also: How to rectify QuickBooks error 80070057?
Ways to Resolve QuickBooks Error H202 Like a Pro
Before starting to perform any troubleshooting steps, you will have to ensure that you are logged into QuickBooks as an administrator.
Method 1 – Test network connectivity
- Open Run window by pressing (Windows+R keys) in the system where you receive error code H202.
- Type CMD in the box and click on OK button.
- Now, from your computer, you have to ping your server.
- Next, type ping_server name and hit the Enter key.
- You can perform the steps mentioned above on all the systems that receive the same error.
- In case the response you receive is slow or you lost packet, then there might be some issue with the network and a repair is needed.
Method 2 – Use QuickBooks File Doctor tool
QuickBooks File Doctor is a reliable, troubleshooting tool by Intuit to diagnose and troubleshoot different types of QB errors such as Error code H101, H202, H303 or H505. In order to use this tool, you must first download it (if not downloaded) from Intuit’s official website and run it. The steps involved in this process are as follows:
- First of all, you needs to download and install QuickBooks file doctor tool.
- Then open the tool from the QuickBooks tools hub by selecting the company file issues.
- Select the company file from the drop down menu. In case you are unable to identify the file, then hit Browse and search to find the file.
- Once done with that, hit a click on the check box for your file and then click on Continue.
- The last step is to enter the QuickBooks admin password and then select Next option.
It should be noted that the scan time depends on the file size, and in majority of the cases, it might take up to 5 minutes. After the scan completes, you are recommended to open the QuickBooks software and the company file.
Method 3 – Install and run QuickBooks Database Server Manager
- Firstly, on your server, open the Windows Start menu.
- Type in the word database in the search field.
- Select QuickBooks Database Server Manager on the list.
- Look for the folder that has company files stored. You can also use the browse feature to find this folder.
- Tap on Start Scan button.
- Fix system firewall setting with QBDBSM.
- Once the scan is over, hit a click the Close button.
- On each of the workstation on which the error appears, you have to open QuickBooks.
- Now go to the File menu and click on it.
- Click on Switch to multi-user mode.
- If you can now use QuickBooks in multi-user mode, the QuickBooks H202 error has been resolved. If the error persists, try the next solution.
Read this also: How to Fix QuickBooks error 6000 82?
Method 4 – Verify QuickBooks services
If the server is running a full version of QuickBooks, you can follow the further provided steps to start multi-user hosting mode:
- While on the server, open QuickBooks.
- Navigate to File and then Utilities.
- Select Host multi-user access.
For verifying the running status of QuickbooksDBXX and QBCFMonitorService on the server, follow the given steps:
- Open Run window.
- Type in services.msc in the text field and click on OK key.
- Next, select QuickBooksDBXX.
- Check the Startup type, if it is Automatic or not.
- If the Startup type is not set as Automatic then do it.
- Check Service status and ensure it shows Running.
- Go to the Recovery tab and select it.
- After that go to the drop-down menus for first, second and subsequent failures and select Restart the service of all these.
- Now hit a click on Apply and then OK button.
- Perform all the above-mentioned steps for QBCFMonitorService.
Method 5 – Add the services QuickBooksDBXX and QBCFMonitorService to the admin group
Offer QuickBooksDBXX and QBCFMonitorService Windows admin permission on the server. If these services do not already have admin permission, then make sure they get it as this may also fix QuickBooks Error Code H202. See if you can use the accounting software in multi-user mode. If not, move to to the next step.
Method 6 – Configure system firewall settings
Your system firewall may sometime block data exchange between QuickBooks and the server. In that case, you can perform the following steps to configure QuickBooks firewall settings to ensure unhindered communication between QB and the server.
- Create exceptions in settings of system firewall.
- Make changes to system firewall permissions and then open QuickBooks on all of the computers.
- Select Switch to multi-user mode under the File menu.
Method 7 – Go to Windows host file and add server
- Firstly, close all QuickBooks windows.
- Go to C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\Etc or C:\Windows\Syswow64\Drivers\Etc on the server.
- Double click on hosts file and select Notepad upon being prompted for a program.
- Manually type in IP address and then the name of the computer. For the server, type the IP and name of the computer. For a computer, type the IP of the server and the computer name. In order to separate the computer name and IP address, press Tab key on your keyboard rather than the Space bar.
- Try opening QuickBooks in multi-user mode and see if QuickBooks error code H202 has been fixed.
Method 8 – Make a new folder for QuickBooks company file
- Make a new folder on the server.
- Make changes in the permissions for this new folder and QuickBooks company files to be shared.
- Now copy (CTRL+C) .qbw file to the new folder.
- Now open your company file in the multi-user mode.
You may also see: How to fix QuickBooks script errors?
Method 9 – Using QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool
- In this step, you need to download and install QuickBooks install diagnostic tool.
- Next, scan the folder, where the data file is situated.
- After that, you are required to note down the number of IP addresses and network interfaces.
- If the firewall status section has an Open ports tab, then enable the ports for QuickBooks.
- Move on to test the data file connectivity.
- Try opening the company data file and see if the issue has been fixed.
Method 10 – Using QuickBooks connection diagnostic tool to fix the network issues
- The very first step is to download and install the QuickBooks connection diagnostic tool on the hosting system.
- And then, scan the folder storing the QuickBooks company files.
- After that note down the IP address that shows up when the QB connection diagnostic tool is running.
- The next step is to configure the firewall ports as instructed by the diagnostic tool.
- Also, follow the further instructions of the connection diagnostic tool.
- And lastly, try opening QB company files on the system in which the H202 error showed up.
Method 11 – Changing the company file location
- Create new folder, in preferably the Drive C: on the system, to store the company file.
- Next, choose the company file and respective .TLG file from the existing company file folder and then press Ctrl + C keys to copy.
- After that, go to the new company file folder and press Ctrl+V keys to paste the company file.
- Check if you can open the file in the multi-user mode.
Method 12 – Edit the QBGlobalAppConfig.ini file on the Fedora Linux Server
- Firstly, open the Linux Terminal Window and also open the QBGlobalAppConfig.ini.
- Now check the default range for ports and delete any spaces before and after the (=) equal sign.
|QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise 21.0||55393 = 5||55393 = 5|
|QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise 20.0||55388 = 5||55388 = 5|
|QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise 19.0||55383 = 5||55383 = 5|
|QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise 18.0||55378 = 5||55378 = 5|
|QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise 17.0||55373 = 5||55373 = 5|
- Now you can find the complete list of ports in Install Linux Database Server Manager.
- Also save the QBGlobalAppConfig.ini file.
- Lastly, stop and reboot the QBDBFILEMON and QBDBMGRN services.
Method 13 – QuickBooks firewall ports information
- QuickBooks 2016 firewall Ports: 8019, 56726, 55368-55372
- QB 2017 firewall ports: 8019, 56727, 55373-55377
- QuickBooks 2018 firewall ports: 8019, 56728, 55378-55382
- QuickBooks 2019 doesn’t have any static firewall ports: The ports are automatically renewed once you can run the company file in Database server manager.
Method 14 – Setting hosting to local files
You need to ensure that no other client system is trying to host the same company file. The steps involved in this process are as follows:
- Launch QuickBooks software and then press F2 key to open the product information screen.
- Next, on the lower left corner, select hosting to reflect local files only under local server information.
If you have any doubts or query or the QuickBooks Error Code H202 still persists in your software even after performing all the troubleshooting methods provided in this post, then you can contact our 24×7 QuickBooks enterprise support team by dialing 1-800-761-1787.
We know that such errors may be pesky and hamper your productivity. That’s why we use advanced tools and technology to save to time and money by providing you with quick and precise QuickBooks solutions. We have all your tech needs covered – 24/7, 365 days a year.