Here is your step by step guide to fix QuickBooks Multi-user switching Error H202:
You may receive QuickBooks Error Code H202 when using or trying to use QuickBooks in multi-user mode. The error window that pops up may show that the multi-user connection to the server is blocked.
The message that you receive with the occurrence of error code h202 states that the QuickBooks company file is located on a different computer and QuickBooks requires some help connecting. When this multi-user mode error shows up, you may fail to open a company file stored on another computer.
Here today, through this blog post, we are going to discuss about QuickBooks error H202, it’s possible causes, symptoms and how to resolve it using few simple methods. However, if you are seeking for expert assistance, then in that case do not think much in speaking to our QuickBooks error support team via our toll-free number i.e. 1-800-761-1787. Our certified accounting professionals will provide you with the best possible support in resolving the error.
You might also like: What is QuickBooks error code 6000?
What is QuickBooks Error H202?
Before you dig in deep and find out what factors are responsible for this error, it is better to first find out what this error code is all about. QuickBooks Multi-user switching error H202 is an error associated with multi-user mode. There are many users who have reported this error while trying to open a QuickBooks company file in multi-user mode. Usually this kind of error can also be seen when the user attempts to access company file that is stored on another system. This error code comes up with an error message stating:
“You are trying to work with a company file that is located on another computer, and this copy of QuickBooks cannot reach the server on that computer. (H202)”
Problem with multi-user hosting setup. QuickBooks could not open the file in multi-user mode. (H202)
If you have also stumbled upon any such error code, then this article can be of great help to you.
Reasons behind to the QuickBooks Error H202
A communication issue between your QuickBooks accounting software and the server may cause this error. Below are some of the most common reasons that cause QuickBooks H202 error:
- Hosting settings are not configured properly
- Exchange of company data between QB and server is being blocked by the system firewall
- DNS settings are not inappropriately configured
- IP address of the Host or the server is not available to QuickBooks Desktop
- Services like QBCFMonitor or QuickBooksDBXX are not running
- QuickBooks Database Server Manager has some issues
- .nd file is corrupted or damaged
What are the Symptoms of QuickBooks Error Code H202?
Following are the symptoms of Multi-user switching Error H202 in QuickBooks:
- You are not able to switch to multiple-user mode
- You can’t open a company file located on another computer
- QuickBooks error code H202 message pops up on your computer screen
- QuickBooks has gotten slow and freezes or stopped working for a few seconds while using
- Your windows computer is getting slow.
Read Also: How to rectify QuickBooks error 80070057?
Ways to Resolve QuickBooks Error H202 Like a Pro
Before starting to perform any troubleshooting steps, you will have to ensure that you are logged into QuickBooks as an administrator.
Method 1 – Test network connectivity
- Open Run window by pressing (Windows+R keys) in the system where you receive error code H202.
- Type CMD in the box and click on OK.
- Now, from your computer, you have to ping your server.
- Next, type ping_server name and hit the Enter key.
- You can perform the steps mentioned above on all the systems that receive the same error.
- In case the response you receive is slow or you lost packet, then there might be some issue with the network and a repair is needed.
Solution 2 – Use QuickBooks File Doctor tool
QuickBooks File Doctor is a reliable, troubleshooting tool by Intuit to diagnose and troubleshoot different types of QB errors such as QuickBooks error code H101, H202, H303 or H505. In order to use this tool, you must first download it (if not downloaded) from Intuit’s official website and run it. The steps involved in this process are as follows:
- First of all, the user needs to download and install QuickBooks file doctor tool.
- The user can also open it from the QuickBooks tools hub, by selecting the company file issues.
- The next step is to select the company file from the drop down menu. In case the user is unable to identify the file, then the user needs to select Browse and search to find the file.
- Once done with that, the user needs to choose the check your file and then click on Continue.
- The last step is to enter the QuickBooks admin password and then select Next option.
It should be noted that the scan time depends on the file size, and in majority of the cases, it might take up to 5 minutes. After the scan completes, the user is recommended to open the QuickBooks software and the company file.
Method 3 – Install and run QuickBooks Database Server Manager
- Firstly, on your server, open the Windows Start menu.
- Type in the word database in the search field.
- Select QuickBooks Database Server Manager on the list.
- Look for the folder that has company files stored. You can also use the browse feature to find this folder.
- Tap on Start Scan button.
- Fix system firewall setting with QBDBSM.
- Once the scan is over, click the Close button.
- On each of the workstation on which the error appears, you have to open QuickBooks.
- Go to the File menu and click on it.
- Click on Switch to multi-user mode.
- If you can now use QuickBooks in multi-user mode, the QuickBooks H202 error has been resolved.
If the error persists, try the next solution.
Read this also: How to Fix QuickBooks error 6000 82?
Method 4 – Verify QuickBooks services
If the server is running a full version of QuickBooks, you can follow the further provided steps to start multi-user hosting mode:
- While on the server, open QuickBooks.
- Navigate to File and then Utilities.
- Select Host multi-user access.
For verifying the running status of QuickbooksDBXX and QBCFMonitorService on the server, follow the given steps:
- Open Run window.
- Type in services.msc in the text field and click on OK key.
- Select QuickBooksDBXX.
- Check the Startup type, if it is Automatic or not.
- If the Startup type is not set as Automatic then do it.
- Check Service status and ensure it shows Running.
- Go to the Recovery tab and select it.
- Go to the drop-down menus for first, second and subsequent failures and select Restart the service of all these.
- Click on Apply and then OK button.
- Perform all the above-mentioned steps for QBCFMonitorService.
Method 5 – Add the services QuickBooksDBXX and QBCFMonitorService to the admin group
Offer QuickBooksDBXX and QBCFMonitorService Windows admin permission on the server. If these services do not already have admin permission, then make sure they get it as this may also fix QuickBooks Error Code H202. See if you can use the accounting software in multi-user mode. If not, move to to the next step.
Method 6 – Configure system firewall settings
Your system firewall may sometime block data exchange between QuickBooks and the server. In that case, you can perform the following steps to configure QuickBooks firewall settings to ensure unhindered communication between QB and the server.
- Create exceptions in settings of system firewall.
- Make changes to system firewall permissions and then open QuickBooks on all of the computers.
- Select Switch to multi-user mode under the File menu.
Method 7 – Go to Windows host file and add server
- Firstly, close all QuickBooks windows.
- Go to C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\Etc or C:\Windows\Syswow64\Drivers\Etc on the server.
- Double- click on hosts file and select Notepad upon being prompted for a program.
- Manually type in IP address and then the name of the computer. For the server, type the IP and name of the computer. For a computer, type the IP of the server and the computer name. In order to separate the computer name and IP address, press Tab key on your keyboard rather than the Space bar.
- Try opening QuickBooks in multi-user mode and see if QuickBooks error code H202 has been fixed.
Method 8 – Make a new folder for QuickBooks company file
- Make a new folder on the server.
- Make changes in the permissions for this new folder and QuickBooks company files to be shared.
- Copy (CTRL+C) .qbw file to the new folder.
- Now open your company file in the multi-user mode.
You may also see: How to fix QuickBooks script errors?
Method 9 – Using QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool
- In this process, the user needs to download and install QuickBooks install diagnostic tool.
- And then scan the folder, where the data file is situated.
- After that, the user is required to note down the number of IP addresses and network interfaces.
- If the firewall status section has an Open ports tab, then the user needs to enable the ports for QuickBooks.
- The next step is to test the data file connectivity.
- The user is then required to try opening the company data file.
Method 10: Using QuickBooks connection diagnostic tool to fix the network issues
- The very first step is to download and install the QuickBooks connection diagnostic tool on the hosting system
- And then, scan the folder storing the QuickBooks company files
- After that note down the IP address that shows up when the QB connection diagnostic tool is running
- The next step is to configure the firewall ports as instructed by the diagnostic tool
- Also, follow the further instructions of the connection diagnostic tool
- And lastly, try opening QB company files on the system in which the H202 error showed up
Method 11: Changing the company file location
- The user will have to create new folder to keep the company file in, preferably the Drive C: on the system
- And then choose the company file and respective .TLG file from the existing company file folder and then press Ctrl + C to copy
- After that, the user needs to navigate to the new company file folder and press Ctrl+V keys to paste the company file
- And then try to open the file in the multi-user mode
- To end the process, try opening the company file and check if the error persists.
Method 12: Edit the QBGlobalAppConfig.ini file on the Fedora Linux Server
- Firstly, open the Linux Terminal Window and also open the QBGlobalAppConfig.ini.
- Now check the default range for ports and delete any spaces before and after the (=) equal sign.
|QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise 20.0||55388 = 5||55388=5|
|QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise 19.0||55383 = 5||55383 = 5|
|QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise 18.0||55378 = 5||55378 = 5|
|QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise 17.0||55373 = 5||55373 = 5|
- Now you can find the complete list of ports in Install Linux Database Server Manager.
- Also save the QBGlobalAppConfig.ini file.
- Lastly, stop and reboot the QBDBFILEMON and QBDBMGRN services.
Method 13: QuickBooks firewall ports information
- QuickBooks 2016 firewall Ports: 8019, 56726, 55368-55372
- QB 2017 firewall ports: 8019, 56727, 55373-55377
- QuickBooks 2018 firewall ports: 8019, 56728, 55378-55382
- QuickBooks 2019 doesn’t have any static firewall ports: The ports are automatically renewed once the user can the company file in Database server manager.
We hope that you find the above-mentioned solutions helpful in fixing QuickBooks error code H202. In case you are not able to perform any of the methods provided in this post or if the issue exists even after trying all the solutions that we have mentioned, you should immediately call our 24×7 QuickBooks enterprise support team by dialing 1-800-761-1787. We have all your tech needs covered – 24/7, 365 days a year.