Here is your step-by-step guide to fix QuickBooks Multi-user switching Error H202:
Are you annoyed by QuickBooks error code H202 when switching to the multi-user mode? Don’t worry, as we are here for your indomitable assistance. Through this article, we shall apprise you of the effectual methods to resolve this error. This is a common issue that transpires when you try to use QuickBooks Desktop in multi-user mode. We recommend that you read this blog all the way to the conclusion to learn about all of the causes and troubleshooting solutions to fix this QuickBooks problem.
This error usually appears when users attempt to use QuickBooks in multi-user mode or the QuickBooks fails to open a company file that is stored on another system. The error window that pops up may indicate that the multi-user connection to the server is blocked.
The error message associated with the error code h202 denotes that the QuickBooks company file is located on a different computer and QuickBooks requires some help connecting. This multi-user mode error may prevent you from opening a company file stored on another computer. You can perform the easy solutions provided herein or, alternatively, contact our QuickBooks error support team via our helpline at 1-800-761-1787. Our certified accounting professionals shall provide you with the best possible support in resolving the error.
You might also like: What is QuickBooks error code 6000?
What is QuickBooks Error H202 (Multi-User Switching Issue)?
Before understanding the factors responsible for this error, it is better to first get a slight idea of what this error code is all about. This multi-user mode error may be triggered due to multiple reasons. Many users have reported it while trying to switch to multi-user mode from single-user mode and while accessing their QuickBooks company file in multi-user mode. This error is therefore typically witnessed when you attempt to access company file stored on another system. The error code comes up with an error message stating:
|Problem||You are trying to work with a company file that is located on another computer, and this copy of QuickBooks cannot reach the server on that computer. (H202)|
|Problem with multi-user hosting setup||QuickBooks could not open the file in multi-user mode. (H202)|
If you stumbled upon this error code, then we advise you to read this article till the end and perform all the actions contained herein. This article shall brief you on the QuickBooks error code H202, its possible causes, symptoms, and effective, yet simple troubleshooting methods. So keep reading on!
Contributory causes behind the QuickBooks Error H202
A communication issue between your QuickBooks desktop and the server may be a major contributor to the QuickBooks Error H202. Below are some of the most common reasons that may provoke the QuickBooks H202 error.
- Incorrectly configured hosting settings can lead to Error h202 in QuickBooks.
- This snag may also show up when the exchange of company data between QuickBooks and the server is being blocked by the system firewall.
- DNS settings may be inappropriately configured, leading to the error.
- The IP address of the Host or the server may not be available to QuickBooks Desktop.
- Essential QuickBooks services like the QBCFMonitor or QuickBooksDBXX are not running in the background.
- QuickBooks Database Server Manager might be having specific issues.
- The Network (.nd) file might be corrupted or damaged.
Signs and Symptoms of QuickBooks Error Code H202
Following are the common symptoms of the Multi-user switching Error H202 in QuickBooks:
- You are not able to switch to the multiple-user mode when this error strikes your Quickbooks software.
- Even after consistent attempts, you can’t open a company file located on another computer.
- QuickBooks error code H202 message pops up on your computer screen.
- QuickBooks has gotten slow and freezes or stopped working for a few seconds while operating.
- Your Windows is performing extremely slowly.
Best Ways to Resolve QuickBooks Error H202
Before starting with the troubleshooting steps, it is highly recommended that users log in to QuickBooks as an administrator. Having ensured that, follow the methods provided below:
1st Method – Ping your server from a workstation to check for network issues
You are required to ping your server from each workstation that is getting QuickBooks multi-user error H202. This method shall examine your network.
Step 1: Turn on Network Discovery on your server computer
- Initially, open the Windows Start menu on your server and workstations.
- Type Network into the search and open Network and Sharing Center.
- Next, choose Change advanced sharing settings.
- Finally, ensure that Turn on network discovery is chosen in the Network Discovery and File and Printer sharing sections.
Step 2: Get your server name from your server
- You need to open the Windows Start menu on your server computer.
- After that, type Run into the search and open Run command.
- Next type CMD into the Run window, and then hit on Enter key.
- Following that, you are supposed to type ipconfig/all into the CMD window and then hit the Enter key.
- You need to search the Host Name in the Windows IP Configuration section. Your server name is on the right.
- Once you get it, write down the hostname, or copy it to a word document so you can access it quickly.
Step 3: Test network connectivity
This step requires you to head back to your workstation to test the server. Follow the steps below for a better understanding.
- Open the Run window by tapping the (Windows+R keys) in the system where you receive error code H202.
- Thereafter, type CMD in the box and hit on the OK button.
- Now, from your computer, you have to ping your server.
- Simply, type ping_server name and hit the Enter key.
- You can perform the steps mentioned above on all the systems that receive the same error.
- In case the response you receive is slow or you lost a packet, then there might be some issue with the network and a repair is needed.
2nd Method – Verify QuickBooks services
If the server is running a full version of QuickBooks, you can follow the further provided steps to start multi-user hosting mode:
- While on the server, you are supposed to open QuickBooks desktop.
- After that, navigate to File and then Utilities.
- After that, choose Host multi-user access option.
For verifying the running status of QuickbooksDBXX and QBCFMonitorService on the server, follow these given quick steps:
- You need to open the Run window.
- After that type in services.msc in the text field and hit a click on OK.
- The next step is to choose QuickBooksDBXX.
- Also check the Startup type, if it is Automatic or not.
- If in case the Startup type is not set as Automatic then do it now.
- After that, check the Service status and ensure it shows Running.
- Now, head to the Recovery tab and choose it.
- After that, navigate to the drop-down menus for first, second, and subsequent failures and choose to Restart the service of all these.
- Now, you need to hit on Apply and then pick the OK button to confirm the changes.
- You need to perform all the above-mentioned steps for the QBCFMonitorService.
3rd Method – Include QuickBooksDBXX and QBCFMonitorService in the admin group
Offer QuickBooksDBXX and QBCFMonitorService Windows admin permission on the server. If these services do not already have admin permission, then make sure they get it as this may also resolve QuickBooks Error Code H202. See if you can use the accounting software in multi-user mode. If not, move to the next step.
4th Method – Configuring system firewall settings can fix QuickBooks Error h202
Your system firewall may sometime block data exchange between QuickBooks and the server. In that case, you can perform the following steps to configure QuickBooks firewall settings to ensure unhindered communication between QB and the server.
- You are supposed to create exceptions in the settings of your system firewall.
- Make changes to system firewall permissions and then open QuickBooks on all of the computers.
- Within QuickBooks, you are supposed to opt for Switch to multi-user mode option available under the File menu.
5th Method – Set up and use the QuickBooks Tools Hub on your server
Step 1: From the tool hub program, Run the QuickBooks file doctor
QuickBooks File Doctor is a reliable, troubleshooting tool by Intuit to diagnose and troubleshoot different types of QB errors such as Error code H101, H202, H303 or H505. In order to use this tool, you must first download it (if not downloaded) from Intuit’s official website and run it. The steps involved in this process are as follows:
- First of all, you need to download and install QuickBooks file doctor tool.
- Then, open the tool from the QuickBooks tools hub by opting for the company file issues.
- Opt for the Company file from the drop-down menu. In case you are unable to identify the file, then hit Browse and search to find the file.
- Once done with that, hit a click on the check box for your file and then tap on the Continue tab.
- The last step is to enter the QuickBooks admin password and then pick the Next option.
It should be noted that the scan time depends on the file size, and in the majority of the cases, it might take up to 5 minutes. After the scan completes, you are recommended to open the QuickBooks software and the company file.
Step 2: Install and run QuickBooks Database Server Manager on your server
- Firstly, on your server, you are required to tap on the Windows Start menu.
- After that type in the word Database within the search box.
- Now, access QuickBooks Database Server Manager by double-tapping its icon.
- Once you are within the Quickbooks Database server manager, look for the folder that has company files stored. You can also use the Browse feature to find this folder.
- Now, tap on the Start Scan button.
- Fix system firewall setting with QBDBSM.
- Once the scan is over, hit the Close button.
- On each of the workstations on which the error appears, you have to launch the QuickBooks Desktop.
- Subsequently, advance to the File menu.
- After that, proceed to the option Switch to multi-user mode.
- If you can now use QuickBooks in multi-user mode, the QuickBooks company file error H202 has been resolved. If the error persists, try using the QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool (illustrated in the next step).
Step 3: From the tools hub, employ the QuickBooks install diagnostic tool
- In this step, you need to Download and Install QuickBooks install diagnostic tool.
- Next, scan the folder, where the data file is situated.
- After that, you are required to note down the number of IP addresses and network interfaces.
- If the firewall status section has an Open ports tab, then enable the ports for QuickBooks.
- Move on to Test the data file connectivity.
- Try opening the company data file and see if the issue has been fixed.
Read this also: How to Fix QuickBooks error 6000 82?
6th Method – Go to the Windows host file and add server
- To start off, close all Windows on your system.
- After that, go to C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\Etc or C:\Windows\Syswow64\Drivers\Etc on the server.
- Next, double-click on the Hosts file and opt for Notepad upon being prompted for a program.
- Manually type in the IP address and then the name of the computer. For the server, type the IP and name of the computer. For a computer, type the IP of the server and the computer name. In order to separate the computer name and IP address, hit on the Tab key on your keyboard rather than the Space bar.
- Try opening QuickBooks in multi-user mode and see if QuickBooks error H202 while opening the company file has been fixed.
7th Method – Make a new folder for the QuickBooks company file
- This method requires you to create a new folder on the server.
- After that, make changes in the permissions for this new folder and QuickBooks company files to be shared.
- Also, copy (CTRL+C keys) .qbw file to the new folder.
- At last, open your company file in multi-user mode.
8th Method – QuickBooks connection diagnostic tool can fix network issues
- The initial step is to Download and install the QuickBooks connection diagnostic tool on the hosting system.
- And then, scan the folder storing the QuickBooks company files.
- After that, you should note down the IP address that shows up when the connection diagnostic tool is running.
- The next step is to Configure the firewall ports as instructed by the diagnostic tool.
- Also, follow the further instructions of the connection diagnostic tool.
- And lastly, try opening QB company files on the system in which the H202 error showed up.
You may also see: How to Resolve QuickBooks Error 1601, 1603, and 1642?
9th Method – Alter the location of your company file
Changing the original location of your company file can help in resolving the Quickbooks Error h202 For this , perform the easy steps given below:
- Create a new folder, preferably in Drive C: on the system, to store the company file.
- Afterward, choose the Company file and the .TLG file from the Existing company file folder and then hit the Ctrl + C keys to copy.
- Then, proceed to the New company file folder and tap on the Ctrl+V keys to paste the company file.
- Check if you can open the file in the Multi-user mode.
10th Method – Alter the QBGlobalAppConfig.ini file on the Fedora Linux Server
- In this method, you are supposed to open the Linux Terminal Window and also access QBGlobalAppConfig.ini.
- Now, check the Default range for ports and delete any spaces before and after the (=) equal sign.
|QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise 22.0||55398 = 5||55398 = 5|
|QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise 21.0||55393 = 5||55393 = 5|
|QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise 20.0||55388 = 5||55388 = 5|
|QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise 19.0||55383 = 5||55383 = 5|
|QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise 18.0||55378 = 5||55378 = 5|
|QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise 17.0||55373 = 5||55373 = 5|
- You can find the complete list of ports in Install Linux Database Server Manager.
- Also, make sure to save the QBGlobalAppConfig.ini file.
- Lastly, stop and reboot the QBDBFILEMON and QBDBMGRN services.
11th Method – Include the QuickBooks ports in your Firewall
To make sure that Firewall doesn’t obstruct the multi-user mode in QuickBooks, it is recommended that you include the ports corresponding to your version of the QuickBooks in Firewall. Below is a comprehensive list of ports for different Quickbooks versions.
- QuickBooks 2016 Firewall Ports: 8019, 56726, 55368-55372
- QuickBooks 2017 Firewall Ports: 8019, 56727, 55373-55377
- QB 2018 Firewall Ports: 8019, 56728, 55378-55382
- QuickBooks 2019 doesn’t have any static Firewall Ports: The ports are automatically renewed once you can run the company file in the Database server manager.
12th Method – Setting hosting to local files
You need to ensure that no other client system is trying to host the same company file. The steps involved in this process are enumerated as follows:
- Launch QuickBooks software and then hit the F2 key to reveal the product information window.
- Next, on the lower left corner, choose Hosting to reflect local files only under local server information.
13th Method – Repair Quickbooks through the Windows Control Panel
- You need to close QuickBooks on all the systems. QuickBooks repair can be done on all systems at the same time.
- Furthermore, you need to open the Windows control panel and also choose Programs and features.
- Heading forward, you need to choose QuickBooks and subsequently hit on Change and repair from the list of installed programs.
- Now, proceed with the set of onscreen instructions to start the Repair process.
- After the repair is complete, you need to update QuickBooks to the latest release.
- Try opening the company file for checking if the QuickBooks error H202 repair was successful.
14th Method – Renaming the .TLG and .ND files can fix QuickBooks Error h202
- At the beginning of this method, you simply have to close QuickBooks.
- Thereafter, open the company file folder on the server system.
- Look for and opt for .tlg file associated with the QuickBooks file having the error.
- You now have to right-click the Tlg file and choose Rename option.
- For changing the name, you simply have to Prefix ”.old” before the file name and hit Enter key.
- Try similar steps for the Network (.Nd) file and close the folder.
- Once you have performed these steps, the .nd and .tlg files will be created automatically when opening the company file again through QuickBooks(these new files will be free of any suspected issues).
- You then have to Open the company file by hitting the Alt key till the file opens.
- This method would hopefully troubleshoot the Quickbooks Error H202 issue.
Conclusion! For assistance, reach out to our experts.
We know that such errors may be pesky and can hamper your work progress. That’s why we employ advanced tools and evolving technology to troubleshoot QuickBooks-related issues without any hassle. So, reach out to our team of certified U.S Based professionals unhesitatingly.