Troubleshooting of QuickBooks Error -6000, -301: An error occurred when QuickBooks tried to access the company file:
QuickBooks accounting software has successfully transformed the way businesses of all sizes carried out their accounting and bookkeeping activities. But at the same time, there are certain errors and technical bugs that might hinder the smooth performance of this software. A most common error code, which has been reported in many times is QuickBooks error 6000, 301. As it is visible, this error code belongs to the -6000 series error and is often encountered by us while attempting to use a desktop company file. Majority of the users find it difficult to tackle out this error. Thus, keeping that in mind, we have come up with this post, where we will be discussing the causes and quick fixes to the error code 6000, 301.
Make sure to read this post till the end. For more details, you can also get in touch with our QuickBooks error support team via our helpline number i.e. 1-800-761-1787. Our industries best accounting professionals will be happy to help you.
You may also read: How to Fix QuickBooks error code 80070057?
What is QuickBooks error 6000, 301?
As mentioned above, QuickBooks error 6000, 301 is from the series of error 6000. This error code comes up with an error message stating:
Warning: An error occurred when QuickBooks Desktop tried to access the company file. Please try again. If the problem persists, contact Intuit Technical Support and provide them with the following error codes: (-6000, -301).
Error -6000, -301: An error occurred when QuickBooks tried to access the company file
We often encounters this error, while opening the company file in different QuickBooks versions. This sort of issue is usually seen when we try to open a QuickBooks company file with .qbw file and the disk space is not enough. This error occurs over the screen and leads to difficulty in managing and handling activities. There can be multiple factors causing this error code, a few of which will be discussed later in this post.
Factors leading to QuickBooks error 6000, 301
The QuickBooks error code 6000, 301 can be caused due to multiple factors, a few of which will be discussed later in this post. Let us have a look at each of the causes one by one:
- Corrupted QuickBooks supported files which includes:
- The transaction log file
- The network descriptor file
- The data source name file
- We attempt to open a QuickBooks desktop company file located in the hard disk of a server accessing the QuickBooks server manager.
- In case the .qbw company file gets corrupted.
- Also, if we try to install Encrypted software, which might hamper the work process.
- Database name file gets damaged.
Effects of QuickBooks error code 6000, 301
The effects of QuickBooks error code 6000, 301 are as follows:
- Users unable to access the damaged company file.
- Or we might have to rebuild the same company file.
- Massive time crunch.
- The need for downloading QuickBooks desktop support files to cope up with the error.
- Issues related to excess data usage and time management.
Read Also: Ways to fix QuickBooks error code 12152
Solution of QuickBooks Error Code 6000, 301 Like a Pro
Now that we have explored the various facts related to QuickBooks error code 6000, 301, it is high time to learn the various methods to get rid of this error. Let us check out each of the error resolutions one by one:
Method 1: Disable the encryption software
Note: If we find any encryption software on your system then it is advised you to disable it. We do not recommend you to use any 3rd party encryption software to encrypt QuickBooks company file.
- We will have to communicate to the software merchant for the encryption software for proper guidance.
- It is recommended to avoid using any third-party encryption software.
Method 2: Reboot your system
Another way in which we can get rid of the QuickBooks error code 6000, 301 is to restart the system. Restarting the system can help us in getting rid of the error up to certain extent. So, we can simply restart the system and check if the error persists.
Method 3: Changing the name of QuickBooks .ND files
Coming to the third method, we can simply rename the QuickBooks .ND files as it might fix the error. The steps involved in this process are as follows:
- The first step in the process is to open the folder having the company file.
- And then we will see the file having the same name as QuickBooks file, but with different extension .tlg along with .nd and .dsu.
- After that hit a right click on each file along with clicking on the rename option. We will then have to add the word .OLD to each of them.
- This will help us in rebuilding the company data files and keeps away from a default database.
Method 4: Repairing the QuickBooks desktop
We should always delete the files that are of no use or are corrupted. Thus, repairing the QuickBooks desktop software can help us in getting rid of QuickBooks error 6000, 301 with much ease. The steps involved in this process are:
- First of all, we need to move to the Start tab and then open the control panel.
- After that hit a click on the programs tab.
- Followed by clicking on the programs and features tab.
- The next step in the process is to select the QuickBooks software and then hit a click on the uninstall option.
- After that, we are supposed to click on next tab once the QuickBooks installation window appears.
- Moving ahead, we need to select the radio tab and then click on the repair icon.
- Also, click on the next tab and then also select the repair tab.
- The last step in the process is to click on the finish tab.
Method 5: Download and run QuickBooks file doctor
We should download and run QuickBooks file doctor tool and then scan all the errors that are present in the files. The steps to be carried out once the tool is downloaded are as follows:
- The very first step is to download QuickBooks file doctor tool and then click on the .exe file which will begin the installing process.
- After that we will have to look for the icon on the windows taskbar for opening, in case it doesn’t open up on its own.
- The next step in the process is to use the drop-down list and then look for the company file. We can also click on the browse tab and then locate to continue.
- Once done with that, you need to click on the option both file damage and network connectivity respectively.
- Moving head, we will have to enter the admin password that can be seen on the company files and then hit next.
- After that select the host/server or workstation carefully. If you are running the file doctor tool on the workstation, then we will have to select the workstation. Or else pick the server accordingly.
- Now hit a click on yes if running the file doctor on the system hosting the company files. We will have to select NO.
- To end the process we should finish diagnosing.
Method 6: Updating QuickBooks software
- We should make sure to update the QuickBooks software to the latest version. The latest version up till now is QuickBooks desktop 2021.
- In case the company file is still not opened up easily, then we can opt for any other option.
This drives us to the end of this post, where we hope that the information, we have shared in above might be of some help in fixing. Implementing the methods illustrated above might help us to do away with the QuickBooks error code 6000, 301 with much ease. However, there can be a situation wherein we might not be able to fix the bug even after carrying out the steps discussed above, in such a situation, it would be better to consult an accounting professional or expert to fix the error on your behalf.
Get other useful links: