Troubleshooting of QuickBooks Error -6000, -301: An error occurred while accessing the company file
Intuit QuickBooks has successfully transformed the way businesses carried out their accounting and bookkeeping activities. But at the same time, there are certain errors and technical bugs that hinder the smooth performance of this software. The most common error code, which has been reported many times is the QuickBooks error 6000, 301. As is clearly visible, this error code belongs to the -6000 series error and is often encountered while attempting to use a desktop company file. The majority of the QuickBooks users find it quite tedious to tackle this error. Thus, keeping that in mind, we have come up with this post, where we will be discussing the causes and quick fixes to the error code 6000, 301.
Make sure to read this post till the end. For more details, you can also get in touch with our QuickBooks error support team via our helpline number i.e. 1-800-761-1787. Our diligent and experienced accounting professionals will be more than happy to assist you.
You may also read: How to fix QuickBooks error code C=43?
QuickBooks error 6000, 301: What is it?
As mentioned above, QuickBooks error 6000, 301 belongs to the series of error 6000. This error code comes up with an error message stating:
|Warning||An error occurred when QuickBooks Desktop tried to access the company file. Please try again. If the problem persists, contact Intuit Technical Support and provide them with the following error codes: (-6000, -301).|
Users often encounter this error while opening the company file in different QuickBooks versions. This sort of issue is usually seen when you try to open a QuickBooks company file (.qbw file) and the disk space is not enough. This error occurs over the screen and leads to difficulty in managing and handling activities. There can be a plethora of assorted factors causing this error code, a few of which have been discussed in the following section.
Contributors to the QuickBooks error 6000, 301
The QuickBooks company file error code 6000, 301 can be caused due to several factors, a few of which are discussed below. Let us have a look at each of the causes one by one:
- Corrupted QuickBooks supported files which include:
- The transaction log file
- The network descriptor file
- Data source name file
- Attempting to access a QuickBooks desktop company file located in the hard disk of a server accessing the QuickBooks server manager.
- The .qbw company file corrupted
- Also, if we try to install Encrypted software, which might hamper the work process
- Damaged Database name file.
Effects of QuickBooks error code 6000, 301
The effects of QuickBooks error code 6000, 301 are as follows:
- Users unable to access the damaged company file
- Need to rebuild the same company file
- Massive time crunch
- The downloading QuickBooks desktop support files to cope with the error.
- Issues related to excess data usage and time management
Read Also: Ways to fix QuickBooks error code 12152
Easy Methods to Resolve QuickBooks Error Code 6000, 301
Now that we have explored the various facts related to QuickBooks error 6000, 301, it is high time to learn the various methods to get rid of this error. Let us check out each of the error resolutions one by one:
Method 1: Disable the encryption software
Note: If we find any encryption software on your system then it is advised you to disable it. We do not recommend you to use any 3rd party encryption software to encrypt QuickBooks company file.
- We will have to communicate to the software merchant for the encryption software for proper guidance.
- Avoid using any third-party encryption software.
Method 2: Download and run the QuickBooks File Doctor
We should download and run the QuickBooks file doctor tool and then scan all the errors that are present in the files. The steps to be carried out once the tool is downloaded are as follows:
- Download the QuickBooks file doctor tool and then click on the .exe file. This will begin the Installation process.
- Look for the icon on the Windows taskbar for opening, in case it doesn’t open up on its own.
- Use the drop-down list and then Look for the company file. We can also click on the Browse tab and then locate to Continue.
- Hit on the options File damage and network connectivity respectively.
- Enter the Admin password on the company files and then hit Next tab.
- Choose the Host/server or workstation carefully. If you are running the file doctor tool on the workstation, then we will have to opt for the Workstation. Or else pick the Server accordingly.
- Hit a click on Yes if running the file doctor on the System hosting the company files. We will have to select NO.
- Finish diagnosing.
Related article: Why balance sheet out of balance error occurs in QuickBooks?
Method 3: Reboot your system
Another way in which we can get rid of the QuickBooks error code 6000, 301 is to restart the system. Restarting the system can help us in getting rid of the error up to a certain extent. So, we can simply restart the system and check if the error persists.
Method 4: Update QuickBooks software
Perform any of the below-given steps to update QuickBooks software. Ensure to update the QuickBooks software to the latest version. The latest version up till now is QuickBooks desktop 2022.
- Initially, hit on Close company/logoff, from the File menu.
- Furthermore, click on the File tab and also opt for the Exit option.
- Afterward, right-click the QuickBooks desktop icon.
- Moreover, click on Run as admin and make sure that you are on No company open screen.
- Subsequently, choose the Update QuickBooks option from the Help menu.
- Next, click on Options and also click on the Mark all tab and click on Save tab.
- Hit on Update now.
- Moreover, click on Reset update and click on the Get updates tab.
- You are then supposed to Close QuickBooks desktop, when update complete message appears on the screen.
- Along with that open QuickBooks desktop and click on Yes tab.
- Reboot the system and you are good to go.
- You are recommended to click Update QuickBooks from the QuickBooks help menu.
- Moreover, proceed to the Update now tab in the Update QuickBooks window.
- Along with that, Checkmark the box.
- Eliminate previous update downloads by Resetting update.
- This might increase the amount of time required for the update.
- Moreover, hit a click on Get updates and the current release will download.
- Now reboot the system and Accept the option to install the new release, when rebooting QuickBooks.
Read this also: How to Fix QuickBooks Error 16026?
Method 5: Change the filenames of QuickBooks ‘.ND’ files
Renaming the QuickBooks ‘.ND’ files can assist in fixing the error. The steps involved in this process are as follows:
- Open the folder having the company file.
- You will see the file having the same name as the QuickBooks file, but with a different extension .tlg along with .nd and .dsu.
- Right-click on each file along with clicking on the Rename option. Add ‘.OLD’ at the end of the File name.
- This will help in Rebuilding the company data files and keeps away from a default database.
Method 6: Repair the QuickBooks desktop software
We should always delete the files that are of no use or are corrupted. Therefore, repairing the QuickBooks desktop software can help in getting rid of QuickBooks error 6000, 301 with utmost ease. The steps involved in this process are:
- Move to the Start tab and then open the Control panel.
- After that hit a click on the Programs tab.
- Followed by clicking on the Programs and features tab.
- Now pick the QuickBooks software and then hit on the Uninstall option.
- After that hit a click on the Next tab once the QuickBooks installation window appears.
- Choose the Radio tab and then hit on the Repair icon.
- also hit a click on the Next tab and then also select the Repair tab.
- Finally hit on the Finish tab.
Method 7: Copy the Company file to the Desktop
- Initially, Right-click on the desktop and navigate to New, followed by Folder. This shall create a new folder on the Desktop.
- Afterward, move to the Original location of your company files.
- Right-click the Company file and hit on Ctrl + C keys to Copy the file.
- After that, head to the newly created folder on the Desktop and hit on the Ctrl + V keys to paste the file.
- Press and hold the Ctrl key until the No Company Open Window pops up on the screen.
- Choose the Open or Restore an Existing Company option.
- Pick the company file that you copied to the desktop folder, then hit on Open.
- Hopefully, the error won’t show up this time around.
This brings us to the end of this post, where we hope that the information shared above might be of considerable help in fixing the Error code 6000, 301 in QuickBooks. Implementing the methods illustrated above might help us to do away with this issue with much ease. However, there can be a situation wherein we might not be able to fix the bug even after carrying out the steps discussed above, in such a situation, it would be better to consult an accounting professional or expert to fix the error on your behalf.
You can get in touch with our 24X7 QuickBooks support team using our support number i.e., 1-800-761-1787, and ask our team to fix the error for you. Our experts will be happy to fix the error for you.
Get other useful links: