Simple steps that you can follow to use Verify and Rebuild Data in QuickBooks Desktop
QuickBooks accounting tool assists business owners and accountants with a wide range of cutting-edge features. The software has changed the way how businesses used to handle bookkeeping and accounting tasks. But, like any other computer software – QuickBooks too experiences issues at times. While many of the issue can be fixed by simply following the prompts on the screen, some need technical knowledge to continue the uses of the software. This blog post is created to inform you about how you can verify and rebuild data utility in QuickBooks Desktop. So, keep read on!
Or you can also contact our QuickBooks support team by means of our support line 1-800-761-1787, and let our experts carry out the process for you. We are a hub of tech-savvy accounting professionals, who work round the clock to provide the best possible support services. Feel free to call us anytime, and we will be there to assist you.
You may also like: Resolve QuickBooks multi-user not working error
What kinds of issues might appear?
QuickBooks being a multi-faceted tool that can be plagued by a number of issues. Presence of any kind of virus or malware can lead to such an error. These malicious files can also affect the software. It might result in an inadvertent selection of setup file that are important for the user. Further, this might end up in an inadvertent selection of setup files that are important. The user might also face certain other issues:
- The system freezes all of a sudden while the user is operating the software
- The response time of the system is very slow, when the commands of the mouse or keywords are stimulated
- Or if the windows OS is unable to start up in a proper manner
- Also, if the QuickBooks screen might display errors, which might be resolved simply by rebuilding and verifying
- Moreover, if the QuickBooks accounting software is unable to open up properly and starts logging off quite frequently.
What sort of errors can be fixed using QuickBooks Verify and Rebuild Data Utility?
The list of some of the most common errors that can be redressed by the utilization of QuickBooks Verify and Rebuild Data Utility and following:
- Use the Verify and Rebuild data utility tool in QuickBooks if you find missing names or transactions in the list data.
- In case some of the accounts are not displayed in the balance sheet of your company data.
- If previously deposited payments show as payments to be deposited.
- Inconsistencies are causing a negative balance that displays in the invoice and bills report
- Any serious error that causes the QuickBooks Desktop application to crash
- If the user is unable to spot the business file
- Or the names from the company lists are missing
- Fatal errors when you use QuickBooks Desktop
It’s important to know that you should use QuickBooks Verify and Rebuild Data Utility on a regular basis to avoid errors and to keep you company file free of errors.
Points to Remember before Verifying and Rebuilding Data
Before you instigate fixing errors, make sure that you verify the following points:
- Make sure that the QuickBooks Desktop you are using is updated and is of the latest released version
- Close all the running application on Windows
Steps to Verify and rebuild data in QuickBooks Desktop for Windows
Below we have mentioned the latest steps to verify and rebuild the data utility in QuickBooks desktop for Windows edition:
Process to verify your company file data
- The initial step is to select Windows and then opt for close all option
- And then, verify data. The user is also required to select File and then Utilities option.
- Followed by selecting the verify data option. The user can witness the below stated three options:
- QuickBooks detected no problems with the data, no further action is required
- A specific error message, might require some specific fixation
- Your data has lost integrity, which indicates that there is a data damage in the file. The user needs to continue with the steps to rebuild data to correct the problem.
The point to be noted here is that the assisted payroll customers should consult an assisted payroll agent before running the rebuild data.
What is the need of QuickBooks Rebuild data?
The need to QuickBooks rebuild data can be understood by the listed pointers:
- In case the transactions are missing, then rebuild data is needed
- Also, if the company file fails to open
- If the names are lost from the company list
- Balance sheet reports are not showing all the accounts, then QuickBooks rebuild data
- Or the user receives the error messages while using QuickBooks
- Or if the user is unable to save transactions
- The software break down, when you click on the option to save a transaction
Read Also: What is the use of QuickBooks tool hub?
Process to rebuild your company file data
In order to rebuild data in QuickBooks, the user can carry out the steps below:
- To begin with, the user needs to move to the windows option and then select close all.
- And then, select the File option and then click on the Utilities option, followed by clicking on the Rebuild data option.
- Moving ahead, the user will get a warning message for backing up the company file and then hit OK button.
- The next step is to, avoid replacing the current backup. Or else the user should use an external device for this backup. Also, enter the new name in the filename field to avoid the current file to overwrite.
- Followed by rebuilding the data process, which will start when the backup process completes
- After the application shows rebuild has done, the user needs to click OK button
- Moving ahead, the user needs to close the rebuild company and then reopen the lists in the file
- And then selecting the File menu and also closing the company
- Now, the user needs to choose the File and then open the company. The user is now required to select the company file which is supposed to be open, and then click on open option
- Then, analyze the check register and the balance sheet, along with the profit and loss reports.
- Further analyze the information about the rebuild data utility by reviewing the QBwin.log file. This would have all the information from starting to end about the whole process.
- Moreover, consult the support team.
How to verify and rebuild data in QuickBooks desktop for Mac?
Well, if you are a QuickBooks Mac user, then the above steps are of no use for you, as the process to verify and rebuild data generally differ in QuickBooks for Mac. So, check out the steps listed below:
Step 1: Verify Company file data
The steps to verify company file data for errors or data damage are as follows:
- The very first step is to select the File option and then select the Utilities option
- Moving ahead, the user needs to select the Verify data and hit OK to close all open tabs.
- In case the user finds a message stating “Your data has failed the integrity check“, the user is supposed to rebuild the file. In case no problem is detected, you are good to go.
Step 2: Rebuild company file data
Once the user has verified the data, he/she needs to rebuild the company file to fix the errors or any damage detected:
- Firstly, the user needs to select the File and Utilities option
- And then, choose the Rebuild data option. After that, select OK tab to close all windows
- The next step is that, the QuickBooks software will ask for taking backup before rebuilding the company file and click on OK. In case, you want to skip backup, then choose the Cancel option to continue rebuilding the company file.
- In case the user hasn’t set up any backup preferences, then the QuickBooks will ask the user to update them. The user needs to select backup preferences and edit as per the requirements. Followed by selecting OK button.
- After the backup finishes, the user needs to select Show in Finder to locate the backup or select OK, if done
- And then, click OK tab.
Important: You can verify your company file again to make sure your file is free from errors or data damage. In any case you are still having the errors or data damage then you have to rebuild the file again.
To manually resolve the data errors you can view each error message that is listed in the Verify Results window along with it’s fixation steps.
How to monitor and reduce database pieces?
The user needs to verify that the database doesn’t have 10 or more fragments. In case there are more than that, the user will have to decrease it by following the steps listed below:
- Arrange list: The user needs to move to the list menu and also choose resort list
- Rebuild file: After the user resorts the list, he/she is required to follow the steps to rebuild the data file
- Create portable company file: The user is then required to create a portable file to reduce database pieces. And also, restore the company file.
- Run Windows defragmentation utility: Defragmentation reduces the chances of corruption, and run the tool where the application file is saved.
To ensure that your QuickBooks Data is repaired and consists of no more errors, verify and rebuild data utility in QuickBooks Desktop once again. If the verify data utility again detects new errors in the data and rebuild data tool is unable to fix the errors then you may have to check the error by reviewing the qbwin.log file stored in the QB folder.