All that you need to know about the QuickBooks backup
QuickBooks is one of the most popular accounting software used by companies to ensure smooth functioning of their businesses. This application helps organizations in managing their finances, payroll and bookkeeping work, inventory management and more. In fact, it is often said that QuickBooks have brought a great change in accounting industry, making it hassle free.
The QuickBooks stores many important data of the companies and the loss of these data can cause great loss. So, it is very important to take backup or record the data. Moreover, if you open QuickBooks on a regular basis then it becomes very essential to take backup so that you can restore it. In this blog, we will in depth discuss how to backup of the data files in QuickBooks desktop for your future use. Thus, make sure to read this post carefully. However, you can also get in touch with our 24X7 QuickBooks support team by means of our support number i.e. 1-800-761-1787. Talking with our experts and certified professionals will help you in clearing all your clouds of confusion.
Note: In case you don’t need a complete backup and want to move the accounting data only, then you can create a portable company file. Also, if the backup copy is in a compressed file format, then make sure to use the restore wizard to bring the data back into QuickBooks. Also, do not use the copy command from the windows.
You may also read: Best steps to fix QuickBooks error 80029c4a Error loading type library / DLL
Creating a backup of company file in QuickBooks
Backing up company files stores everything that is present in the company file at that particular moment. It saves the accounting data, templates, letters, logos, images, and various other related files. It should be noted that it doesn’t backup the payroll forms. In order to backup the data, you have two options either they can do it manually or automatically.
Method 1: Set up QuickBooks Automatic Backup
Below are the simple steps to take easy backup of your data in QuickBooks and get rid of the problem of QuickBooks Automatic Backup doesn’t work:
- The very first thing to do is to open the File Menu and switch to single user mode.
- And then choose Save Copy or backup company and create local backup.
- Once you have chosen the backup copy and then click on Next.
- Now select Options to set up the backup defaults and then click on Next option.
- You are supposed to look for and note the date and time of the file backups to determine the files. You can also use the checkbox to limit the number of backup copies and put a number to cap the number of backups created for every company.
- Click on the checkbox remind me to backup when I close my company file every time, so as to receive reminders for creating backups, and set a frequency.
- Always hit a click on options for verifying the data before saving the changes. Skip this step to make the process faster, but it is recommended to enable it so as to get the alert messages whenever damage in file is spotted. You will get the following options: Complete verification, Quicker verification, and No verification.
- After the backup options window pops up on the screen, you are supposed to click on browse and then select location to store the copy.
- Select Change Location tab or Use this Location, followed by clicking on Next.
- Click on the option Save it now and schedule future backups or only schedule future backups and then tap on Next.
- Once it is done you now have to select the option Save backup copy automatically when I close my company file every time.
- Now in the field enter a number and click on Finish,
Method 2: Set Up QuickBooks Schedule Backups
- Open file and click on Save Copy or Backup. Once done a backup wizard will open for you.
- Select on Backup copy and click on Next.
- Go for options so as to set backup defaults and then click on Next.
- The next process will be clicking on Only Schedule future backups and then Next option.
- Now go to the Backup on a schedule section and then click on it.
- You have to provide a description for the schedule backup that you are creating.
- You also have to now look for folders where you want to save your backup copies.
- After this hit a click on Number of backup copies to keep checkbox and then enter a number.
- Once done now click on Store Passwords followed by Store Windows Passwords and then provide the windows login details.
- After this you have to choose the date, weekly frequency etc. for the backup.
- Once you have chosen, click on it.
Method 3: Setting up QuickBooks Backup Reminders
Due to your very busy schedule you might end up forgetting to take the backup of the data. And to save you from such a situation you can set backup reminders. Below are the ways to set up QuickBooks backup reminders.
- Go to the File menu and then choose Save Copy or backup.
- Select backup copy and then click on Next option.
- Followed by clicking on Options.
- Once done you will come across the field Tell us where to save your backup copies and browse through the directory where you want to Save the backup files.
- After this you have to choose the Remind me to backup when closing data every time and then provide a number in the field as you might require.
- Once done, choose Add time and date of the backup to the file name box and hit on OK button.
Method 4: Backup company file manually
In case you prefer, you can back up the company files anytime.
- Move to the file menu and then choose Switch to single user mode.
- After that, move to the file menu again and then hover over the back up company. After that create local backup option should be selected.
- Select local backup and then hit Next.
- In the local backup only section, select the browse option and also choose the location for saving the backup.
- The next step is to set the number of backups that you wish to keep. And also, keep a note that this step is not a compulsion.
- It is recommended to set backup reminders using the options in the online and local backup section.
- Run a test to ensure that the backup file is in good shape.
- Now, hit OK button.
- And ensure to opt for save it now option and hit next .
When you get the confirmation message, the process would end.
Method 5: Adjusting the backup settings
In order to see when you last backed up the company file, you will have to visit the file menu and then hover over the backup company. Then see the time and date at the top of the menu.
In order to make any changes to the backup preferences, carry out the steps below:
- Choose the file and hover over the backup company.
- After that click on create local backup option.
- The next step is to select options.
- And then make required changes and hit OK button.
- Finally you have a backup company file that you can use to restore your QuickBooks company file. This file has a .qbb extension at the end of the file name.
In case you keep the backup company files on an external device or hosting service like Box, then you might have to remove them to the local hard drive first and then carry out the restore process.
An important point to be considered is that in case the QuickBooks finds the company file with the same name in folder, QuickBooks will ask whether to replace the existing file. In such a situation, you will have to avoid replacing else the existing file will be erased.
Restoring backup settings in QuickBooks
You are supposed to restore QuickBooks company file, after taking the backup of the company file. It should be noted that this file will have a .qbb extension at the end of the name. And, if you keep the backup company files on an external device or a hosting service like Box, then you will have to move them to the local hard drive first before restoring.
These are the simple ways through which you can take automatic backup, schedule backups or set reminders to take backups of your data. In case if you have any query about the same then you can connect with QuickBooks enterprise support team who are there 24/7 to offer you quick help.
You can reach out to our U.S. based accounting professionals using our support line i.e. 1-800-761-1787. We are a hub of technically sound accounting professionals, so do not hesitate in calling us anytime, you will find the most relevant answers to all your queries here!