Over the period of time, QuickBooks has evolved as a successful accounting program and has enthralled users with its variegated functionalities. QuickBooks Payroll allows users to track their income and expenses while apprising them of the multifold tax deduction opportunities. Its assorted benefits encompass Tracking of sales tax, sending estimates, running reports, and processing invoices, including a myriad of other features. However, QB payroll has been facing several error codes belonging to the family of PSXXX error codes, including Error PS034, Error PS038, Error PS036, etc. This current article shall unravel all the possible measures to fix QuickBooks Error PS038.
This error occurs during multiple instances. While certain users come across this error while trying to install the latest updates for QuickBooks Payroll, some may encounter it while downloading and installing the latest tax tables. Notably, this error also evokes when the paychecks get stuck at the ‘’Online to send’’ option. No matter what the cause of this error may be in your case, this article shall ensure a complete resolution of this annoying error.
When can QuickBooks payroll Error PS038 appear?
QuickBooks payroll error PS038 may show up for different reasons, some of which have been enlisted as follows:
- This payroll error may appear if the QuickBooks program is not up to date.
- When users try to send online paychecks but get stuck at the Online To Send option, an error message related to such error may immediately pop up on the screen.
- This error may also appear when users attempt to download and install the latest Tax Tables on their systems.
You may check also: How to Resolve QuickBooks Error Code 6190 and 816?
What are the different procedures to keep QuickBooks Error PS038 in check?
You can implement the procedures laid down in the following alternatives to rectify the QuickBooks Error Code PS038.
Procedure 1: Updating QuickBooks
The first viable troubleshooting approach to get rid of this payroll error is to update QuickBooks desktop, an easy process involving the following steps:
- The first step is to open QuickBooks Desktop.
- Soon after, click on the Help tab.
- Herein, users need to click on the Update QuickBooks Desktop option.
- Now, click on the Update Now option.
- Make sure to click on the Reset updates checkbox before hitting on the Get Updates option.
- Wait for the procedure to get completed.
- If QuickBooks Error PS038 still keeps appearing, then follow up the next procedure.
Procedure 2: Process the Payroll Data
Users are required to send their payroll data by adhering to the below-given walkthrough:
- Run QuickBooks.
- Upon opening QuickBooks, click on Employees.
- Follow up by heading to the My Payroll Service option.
- Herein, click on the option to Send Usage Data.
- Hit on the Send all option and type in the correct service pin if asked for.
Also See: How To Fix “No Printer installed” Error in QuickBooks?
Procedure 3: Earmark any paychecks that are stuck
Users should locate any stuck payments, the steps for which are enumerated below:
- Click on the Edit option.
- After that, click on Find.
- Head to the Advanced tab.
- Within the option to Choose Filter, click on Detail Level.
- Hit on the summary only option.
- Once done, head back to the Filter list and then go to Online status.
- Afterward, click on the Online to Send option and hit on Find.
- Observe the number of matches in this window.
Procedure 4: Use the Verify and Rebuild Utility
QuickBooks is an integration of a wide range of tools to boost user experience, while annihilating any technical issues that come along. The Verify and Rebuild Tool is one such potential utility that can fix diverse network-related, company file-related and other ancillary QuickBooks issues. The procedure involves using the Verify data tool to diagnose any issues and then opting for the Rebuild data tool to fix the diagnosed problems.
Steps to Use the Verify Data Tool
You need to first ‘verify’ the data as follows:
- Run QuickBooks Desktop.
- Now, click on the File menu.
- Subsequently, hit on Utilities.
- Herein, users need to opt for the Verify Data option.
- If the tool diagnoses any issues, the next step is to use the Rebuild data tool.
Steps to use Rebuild Data Tool
- Click on the File menu.
- Subsequently, hit on Utilities and then opt for the Rebuild Data option.
- When prompted for saving a backup, click on Ok and proceed to save the file to a convenient location.
- Wait for the rebuild process to culminate.
- Once it is done, rerun the verify data scan to make sure that the preexisting issues aren’t showing up any more.
- Most probably, this troubleshooting avenue should fix QuickBooks Error PS038.
Read it also: How to Troubleshoot QuickBooks Error 6189?
Procedure 5: Toggling payments that are in a deadlock
The steps to toggle the stuck payments are discussed below:
- Users should initially access the old paychecks that are stuck.
- After that, click on the Paycheck Detail option.
- Subsequently, head to the Review Paycheck window.
- Herein, head to Earnings and incorporate the similar earnings item in the list.
- Just in case the item is Hourly Rate, incorporate the Hourly Rate item.
- Subsequently, a message related to Net Pay Locked will show up on the screen.
- Click on No.
- The tax amounts and net pay should not be tampered with.
- Follow up by clicking on Ok.
- Users may receive the message related to Past Transaction. In that case, they should hit on Yes.
- Click on the Save and Close option.
- Hit on the option to close the paycheck.
- Click on Yes soon after.
- Users should then access the paycheck again.
- Hit on the Paycheck Details option.
- Remove the items corresponding to earning.
- Also, ensure that no alterations are being made to the tax amounts and net pay.
- Follow up by clicking on Ok.
- Perform the steps for all the stuck paychecks. Once completed, retry downloading and installing the tax tables to make sure that error code PS038 has been rooted out.
We are sure that by following the methods illustrated in this article, you were successful in resolving the payroll error PS038 in QuickBooks.
QuickBooks Payroll keeps on getting different kinds of error codes. Error Code PS038 in QuickBooks Payroll is such a common error that can easily been fixed by constricting to the troubleshooting procedures discussed within the purview of this illustrative blog. For additional assistance, users can reach out to our QuickBooks payroll error support experts at +1(800)761-1787 to get all their QB-related issues sorted out.
Fix QuickBooks Error 15212 When Updating Payroll
What are the Solutions of QuickBooks Script Error?