Get apprised of the updated solutions to troubleshoot QuickBooks Error code 6177, 0:
Encountered Error 6177 in QuickBooks and consequently experienced a dead stop in the accounting operations? There is no need to worry, as you are not the only QuickBooks user facing this technical issue. Considering the pernicious impact of this error on QuickBooks functionalities, this article discusses all the relevant updated methods to troubleshoot the QuickBooks Error 6177. This error is typically observed while attempting to open the software or a company file in QuickBooks. This error reflects that QB is unable to trace the path to access the company file. Some users have also experienced this error while using the multi-user mode in QuickBooks.
In some instances, this error may require the system to be rebooted and the QuickBooks software updated to the most recent version. If users find themselves stuck in the middle of technical problems while performing the troubleshooting solutions uncovered in this blog, they may reach out to our certified professionals via the helpline 1-800-761-1787 or the live chat option.
You may also see: How to Fix QuickBooks Abort Error Message?
QuickBooks Error 6177, 0: A Brief Overview
Before pursuing the various methods to resolve error 6177 in QuickBooks, it is recommended first to visit the plethora of diverse causes leading to this error. This error is generally seen or pops up when users try to open their company file and displays on the computer screen in the form of an error message stating:
|Error Message:||QuickBooks is attempting to open this company file. Before you can open the company file from the computer, you must first open the company file on the computer where the company file is located. (-6177, 0).|
|Error 6177,0:||We’re sorry, but QuickBooks can’t open the company file.|
The user might also encounter this error if the company file is located on a server system and he/she is trying to access the file locally. Various other factors can lead to the occurrence of this error. Let us visit these contributory factors first before heading to the solutions measures to uproot this technical error.
Probable causes behind error -6177, 0 in QuickBooks desktop
The necessity of fixing this error becomes indispensable, considering the disruption that this error can cause to payroll distribution and other accounting operations. There can be several causes behind the occurrence of this issue. These includes:
- A virus attack ( e.g., Trojan Horse) may infect essential QuickBooks files and thereby directly lead to such error.
- In case the path of the file itself is corrupted, this error may show up.
- If the user removed the QB-related file inadvertently, then the error may evoke.
- Using an outdated version of the QuickBooks accounting software may also contribute to such errors.
- The company file that the user is trying to access may be damaged due to various reasons.
- Another reason behind the occurrence of this error 6177, 0 in QuickBooks desktop can be a transfer of the company file from one computer system to another.
You might see also: How to Verify your Subscription before Installing QuickBooks Desktop?
Updated Resolutions to Fix QuickBooks Error 6177, 0
Below we have provided the updated methods to get rid of the QuickBooks error 6177. Make sure to visit these methods with keen observation and check out the solution methods corresponding to the specific conditions. Perform these methods, but before proceeding ahead, make sure to set up the full version of QuickBooks set up on the server.
Resolution 1: Updating the file location
In case the company file is present on the server or on an external hard drive, change its location. The steps below can be carried out to update the file location of the company file:
Step 1: Move the company file from its original location
It should be noted that the step below can only be carried out on the server system. In case users are not having access to the server system, then they should carry out the below steps on one of the workstations as well.
- The first step requires the user to open the Windows Start menu on either the server system or the workstation.
- Subsequently, type in File Explorer in the search bar and open the same by double-clicking it.
- After that, spot and open the QuickBooks folder. For convenience, press the F2 key to pop up the Product Information Window to look for the location of the company file.
- Look for the company file that ends with QBW or the .qbw extension.
- Once done with that, write down the Drive’s name and location. The user will be required to put the file back here later on.
- To end the process, Move the company file from this folder to the C: drive and then move the file avoiding the entire folder.
Step 2: Creation of portable company file and restore it to the server
The company file is on the local drive, and create a portable company file:
- To start off, open the QuickBooks desktop on the system containing the company file.
- Now, choose the Open or Restore an existing company option.
- Browse for and open the company file that is moved to C: drive.
- Now, the user is supposed to create a Portable company file.
- Once done with that, choose the File menu and opt for the Close QuickBooks company option. Followed by, reopening QuickBooks.
- Move to the File menu and pick the Open or restore company option.
- Afterward, choose the option to Restore a Portable file and hit the Next tab.
- Find the Portable file created earlier and then open the same, followed by hitting the Next tab.
- Choose the Drive originally chosen in order to Restore the location.
- The next step requires the user to tap on Save and transfer the company file back on the network.
- Conclude the process and hit on the File menu, followed by opting for the Quit QuickBooks option.
Resolution 2: Using the QuickBooks file doctor tool
In case the QuickBooks Error Code 6177, 0 persists, one can perform the following steps given below to run the QuickBooks File Doctor tool.
- First, download the most recent version of the QuickBooks Tool Hub (188.8.131.52) and save the QuickBooksToolHub.exe file on the system.
- After that, follow the instructions on the screen to install the T&C of the software.
- Then, double-click the Icon appearing on Windows desktop after the installation to open the QuickBooks tool hub.
- Now, opt for the Company File issues from the tool hub.
- And pick Run QuickBooks File Doctor. The file doctor may take up to one minute to open.
- Now choose the Company file from the drop-down menu in File Doctor. To locate the file, hit on Browse to search.
- Subsequently, Check the file and then Proceed ahead with the process.
- Enter the correct password for QuickBooks admin and tap on the Next tab.
Note: The file doctor may take up to 5 minutes to diagnose the file. Also, this process would not involve any additional charges, and the QuickBooks file doctor tool is designed and developed in a way to diagnose and fix the error automatically.
Check Also: How to Access QuickBooks Desktop Remotely from Anywhere?
Resolution 3: Update QuickBooks Desktop
It is very essential update the QuickBooks desktop to the latest version, as it maintains the compatibility of the software with the operating system. This also ensures that no new bugs hinder the smooth working process.
Each new version of QuickBooks roles in with some great features and also fixes the underlying bugs. Thus, it is very important and highly recommended to update the QuickBooks desktop on a timely basis.
Resolution 4: Transfer the company file to a local hard drive
Moving the company file to the local hard drive can also troubleshoot the QuickBooks Error 6177, 0. For this, stick to the directions given below:
- Move the company file from the server to the C drive.
- Later on, open the company file in QuickBooks.
- Follow it up by making a Portable file and saving it to the local C drive.
- Now, close the company file.
- And Restore the portable file from the C: drive and then save it to the server.
- Toward the end of the process, collect the company file and try to open it from the server.
Also See: How to Fix Gmail Couldn’t Sign you in From QuickBooks Desktop Problem?
Resolution 5: Manually fix the file path
This process of fixing the file path has been divided into two steps for user’s easy understanding. Read them and implement the steps in the same order.
Step 1: Locating the Network (.ND) file
- To begin with, open the File Explorer on the server system and search for the QuickBooks folder.
- Now, search for the company file name and look for the .nd extension at the end. (For ex: [MyCompanyFileName].qbw.nd.)
- Right-click the .ND file and hit the Delete option. The point to be noted here is that this particular step won’t affect the accounting data.
Step 2: Use QuickBooks database server manager
- In case the user has not downloaded and installed QuickBooks database server manager, then he/she should make sure to do it now.
- Open the Windows Start menu on the server system and type Database into the search bar. Also, open QuickBooks database server manager.
- Now, choose the QuickBooks folder having the company file.
- Once done with that, choose the Start scan option.
- Followed by, opting for the Close option after the scanning process is complete.
- The final step is to give the Folder permission to share the company files.
In case the Error 6177, 0 still persists in QuickBooks, the user can perform the following steps.
Resolution 6: Reopening QuickBooks Desktop
After performing the methods elaborated above, one should consider opening QuickBooks Desktop software and examine whether the annoying technical issue got rooted out from the computer system. Follow the directions mentioned in the following lines.
- Open QuickBooks desktop.
- Followed by opting the Open or restore an existing company option instead of selecting a company from the list.
- Within this menu, the user is supposed to choose Open a company file and hit the Next option.
- The final step is to Open portable company file and move it to the new folder.
Also Read: Fix QuickBooks Encountered a Problem When Sending Your Usage Data Error
Resolution 7: Resetting the multi-user hosting
The steps for resetting the multiuser hosting to fix the QuickBooks desktop error 6177 are given below:
- Open QuickBooks desktop on the server computer.
- Opt for the File menu and navigate to the Utilities option.
- Choose the Stop Hosting Multi-User Access option and hit on Yes to confirm.
- Now, advance to the File menu and choose the Close company option. This will reset all the hosting settings.
- Next, open QuickBooks desktop again without opening the company file this time.
- Opt for the File menu and head to the Utilities tab.
- Choose the Host Multi-User Access and hit on Yes to confirm.
- Finally, choose the File menu and conclude by choosing the Quit QuickBooks option.
A culminating note!
With this, we arrive at the conclusion of this article, wherein we have attempted to encapsulate different methods to get rid of from QuickBooks error 6177 0. However, in case of any questions or if the error still continues to pervade, connect with our certified U.S.-based accounting professionals via our dedicated helpline i.e. 1-800-761-1787, and discuss the issue with our QuickBooks enterprise technical help team directly.
We are a hub of licensed accounting professionals who work round the clock to provide the best possible assistance for all sorts of QB errors, with an endeavor to make the QuickBooks software impeccable and error-free.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
A1. QuickBooks users may face various error codes while opening the company files. Error 6177 is a technical error that pops up while accessing the company files.
A2. The various techniques for resolving Error 6177 are:
1: Update the File location
2: Use the QuickBooks File Doctor Tool
3: Update QuickBooks Desktop
4: Reset multi-user hosting
5: Move the company files to a hard drive.
A3. The QuickBooks company files can be located in: Drive(C):/Users/Public/Public Documents/Intuit/QuickBooks/Company Files. The same can also be accessed as follows:
Step 1: Right-click the QuickBooks Desktop icon and choose Properties.
Step 2: Click on Open File Location.
Final Step: Herein, you can look for your Company files.
Few other helpful topics:
How to Resolve the QuickBooks Payroll Update Error 12031?
Steps to Resolve Common Sales Tax Issues in QuickBooks Desktop
How to Prepare and File Federal 1099s with QuickBooks Desktop?