Complete guide to identify and fix the QuickBooks Abort Error
Getting stumbled upon errors in QuickBooks is pretty common as the software involves a lot of complex algorithms. One such error quite commonly encountered in the software is the QuickBooks Abort error. This particular error indicates a damaged QBWUSER.ini. As a result of this error, QuickBooks might crash unexpectedly. The best thing about QuickBooks software is that all the errors that appear can be resolved by a few set of steps. And same applies to the abort error as it can be resolved by performing the right procedures and steps listed in this blog. To get a better grip on this error, read this segment carefully till the end.
However, if you are short of time, then an alternative for you is to consult a QuickBooks error technical support team and U.S. based accounting professionals, who can help you in resolving this QuickBooks Connection has been Lost Abort Error in the least possible time. You can simply connect with us using our helpline i.e. 1-800-761-1787, and we will be there to rectify the error for permanently.
What Is QuickBooks Abort Error and Why It Occurs?
Just like other QuickBooks Issues, QuickBooks desktop abort or QuickBooks Connection has been Lost error can also impact the productivity of the businesses using it. The error is primarily caused due to a damaged QBWUSER.INI file. It can lead to several issues including frequent system crashes. Another big issue that this error presents its users with is that it can corrupt files as it makes the frequent system crash while the files are being saved. Several other operations are delayed and users have to face the lag in other to complete simple tasks.
When this error occurs, you may see the following error message on your desktop screen:
|Connection Has Been Lost||The connection to the company files has been lost. QuickBooks must close immediately. Any unsaved data will need to be re-entered|
QuickBooks desktop abort error has a handful of reasons for occurring. So, here is the list of one of the most common reasons behind this error:
- Users on a multi-user mode network are using different versions of QuickBooks Desktop.
- Several computers on the same network might be configured to host the QuickBooks Company file.
- The folder where the company file is saved needs additional permission.
- Windows power management settings are activated in hibernation mode or sleep mode, hence causing the system to sleep at unexpected timings and, thus, the crashing of the software.
- As mentioned earlier, the primary cause of this error is nothing but QBWUSER.INI being missing or damaged.
- Your firewall is blocking access to the network.
- It can happen in case the company file is present on a portable drive, another computer, or on an entirely different network, and the connection is interrupted due to the storage or bandwidth of the device.
Symptoms of the QuickBooks Abort Error Message
It is essential for you to be able to determine the error when its symptoms appear on the device. So, here are some of the symptoms that you might encounter when your device is dealing with the issue of QuickBooks Abort Error:
- This error causes the random crashing of the system.
- You might experience frequent shutdowns and that too without any error message.
- In Windows 8, specifically, the QuickBooks Desktop gets terminated out of nowhere.
- The software freezes regularly and it shuts down the whole program automatically.
- You may see QuickBooks unrecoverable error message with an error description.
- The program will be aborted and there is also a chance of Fatal App Exit.
You might also like: Fix missing Microsoft Outlook in QuickBooks Desktop when sending forms preferences
Quick Methods To Troubleshoot The QuickBooks Abort Error
As we have now discussed the causes as well as the symptoms of this QuickBooks desktop abort error, let us discuss some of the methods with which we can fix the error. QuickBooks desktop needs proper and regular network connection to the data file from the server. Thus, you need to ensure that the hosting status of QuickBooks on your system is right, in a multi-user environment. You need to perform the following steps:
- Click on the File menu
- Further, choose the Utilities tab
- Moreover, hit on the Stop hosting multi-user access option.
This is equally important to configure windows firewall to work well with QuickBooks desktop. As firewall can block essential network access in turn blocking access to many QuickBooks programs. Continue with the measures ahead for fixing the error properly.
Method 1: Disable the Antivirus program and Windows defender
Quite often, technical issues in QuickBooks erupt as a result of the discrepancies evoked by an antivirus or firewall program running at the backend. Even Windows Defender can be blamed for this. To make sure that they dont tamper with QuickBooks functionalities, it is recommended that you disable your antivirus and Windows Defender programs temporarily.
For Antivirus program
Implement the below-given instructions to temporarily turn off the antivirus program.
- Users require access to the antivirus software, and once logged in, visit the Settings of the program.
- Here, search for the Option to disable the program and click on it.
- Save the changes and restart the device.
For Windows Defender
If you have enabled the Windows Defender, you should get it disabled by performing the steps given as under:
- Hit on the typing space beside the Windows icon and type Window Defender.
- Click on the very First option that appears on the list.
- Search for the option with which you can Disable the Windows Defender.
- Once done, Save the changes and restart the device.
Method 2: Check the QuickBooks hosting status
This next method requires that users check the hosting settings in QuickBooks, the steps for which are given below:
- In this method, you need to visit the Files menu.
- Click on the Utilities option.
- Afterward, hit on the Stop hosting to multi-user access option.
- Follow it up by accessing the company file in Multi-user mode.
- Finally, place a checkmark on the box stating “Open file in multi-user mode“.
Method 3: Use QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool, from QuickBooks Tool Hub
To resolve QuickBooks abort error, you need to use QuickBooks Tool Hub, which can assist you in resolving common QuickBooks errors.
Step 1: Download the QuickBooks Tool Hub
You should at first download the QuickBooks Tool Hub from the official Intuit website, the procedure for which is given as under:
- Initially, Download the QuickBooks Tool Hub file and save the file to your system.
- Open the file downloaded named QuickBooksToolHub.exe.
- Now, follow the on-screen instructions to Install and agree to the terms and conditions.
- Once the installation is completes, open the tool hub by double-clicking on the Tool hub icon.
Step 2: Run QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool, from the tools hub
After setting the Install Diagnostic tool on your system, it is time to run the tool and get your QuickBooks abort issue sorted out. The guidelines given below should aid you through.
- Open the QuickBooks Tool Hub program.
- In the tool hub, choose the Installation Issues tab.
- Choose the QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool from here and run it. (Note: This toll may take up to 20 minutes or lesser that it.)
- Once the QBinstall diagnostic tool successfully scanned and fixed the problem, reboot your computer.
- Now launch the desktop version of QuickBooks to complete the process.
Method 4: Change the filename of the ‘QBWUSER.INI’ file
- Initially, locate the folder where the ‘QBWUSER.INI’ file is saved.
- In case the file is not found even after searching the storage, check whether the hidden files and folder option is disabled or not, if it is not disabled, then disable the option and Apply the setting.
- Now, once the file is located, right-click on the file and choose the Rename option.
- Hit on the text box after the filename and add ‘.odd’
- Once done, rename both the ‘Entitlement data store‘ and ‘.ecml’ file‘
- After all the files are renamed, open the company file to complete the process.
Method 5: Run the verify and rebuild data utility
Following are the steps to run verify and rebuild data utility:
- Firstly, open QuickBooks desktop and select the File menu. After that click on the Utilities option, and along with that, click on Verify data.
- In case no error message gets displayed after verifying the data, then no need to run the Rebuild tool.
- However, if the error message stating “Your data has lost integrity” appears on the screen, then you will be required to repair the damaged data file.
- Next, select the Utilities option under the File menu and then click on the Rebuild data option.
- Once done with that, hit on the OK tab on the backup company file popup window.
- Choose a location on the system to save the backup of the company file and then hit OK button.
- After the backup file is successfully saved on the desktop, the Data rebuild process will begin.
- The final step is to Restore the backup of the company file by selecting the Backup option from the File menu.
Method 6: Use the QuickBooks file doctor tool
File Doctor Tool is one essential tool that is a remedy to a large number of issues stemming within QuickBooks. The steps for using the tool are given as under;
- In order to use the QuickBooks file doctor tool, you will have to download it first.
- Save the file on the system.
- Next step is to open the file downloaded earlier. The file can be found as QBFD.exe
- Once done with that, you need to carry out the on-screen prompts and install the QuickBooks file doctor tool.
- The tool will run automatically or launch by double-clicking it.
Read this also: How to set up QuickBooks Desktop to work from home?
Method 7: Configure the Windows firewall manually
You can try configuring the firewall settings manually if none of the above methods work. This can be done by carrying out the steps below:
- You need to first open the Windows start menu.
- Type in Windows firewall and open the same.
- Choose the Advanced settings.
- Follow it up by right-clicking the Inbound rules and then choosing the New rule option.
- Choose the Port and then hit Next. Now, ensure that TCP is selected.
- Afterward, in the Specific local ports field, enter the Specific ports needed for QuickBooks.
- Choose Next and also, choose the Allow the connection and hit Next.
- Ascertain that all the profiles are marked and then hit Next.
- Now create a rule and also name it and end the process by hitting the Finish tab.
Method 8: Make use of the task manager
You can make use of the task manager to fix the issue. The steps to be followed are as follows:
- Start off by closing QuickBooks and Ending the QuickBooks programs in the task manager.
- Furthermore, highlight All applications that begin with QB, QuickBooks, and Intuit.
- Hit on the Stop task tab.
- Finish the process by running Repair QuickBooks desktop.
Method 9: Grant permissions for the QuickBooks installation folder
Another resolution that can fix the QuickBooks abort error involves granting the necessary permissions to the installation folder of QuickBooks. If you are unsure about the process, just pay heed to the below-given set of instructions:
- Go to the following location after launching the “Windows File Explorer“: The path is “C:/Program Files/Common Files.”
- To modify the security settings for the common files folder, right-click on it, choose “Properties,” then navigate to “Security,” where you may choose the “Edit” option.
- After that hit a click on “Users” under “Group or usernames.”
- Under the Users tab, change and enable the write, read, read, and execute rights.
- Click the “Apply” button at the end.
- To finish, click “OK” tab.
We hope that this article helped you to tackle QuickBooks Abort Error on your device. In case you are experiencing the same error message even after going through all the above-mentioned methods, you should immediately contact our QuickBooks Support team for quick and precise solutions.
Our accounting professionals and CPAs have cutting-edge tools and technologies to provide the best services instantly. You can connect us using our helpline i.e. 1-800-761-1787, and our executives will be there to assist you in a single call.
Topics you may like: