Here is the complete guide to identify and fix the QuickBooks Abort Error
Hitting upon errors in QuickBooks is pretty much common, as it involves various algorithms. One such error that we are going to discuss about is QuickBooks Abort error. This particular error indicates damaged QBWUSER.ini. As a result of this error, QuickBooks might crash unexpectedly. The best thing about QuickBooks software is that all the errors that appear can be resolved by a few set of steps. And same applies to abort error, as it can be resolved by performing the right procedures and steps. To get a better grip on to such an error, read this segment carefully till the end.
However, if you are short of time, then an alternative for you can be to consult a QuickBooks error technical support team and U.S. based accounting professionals, who can help you with resolving this error within least possible time. You can simply connect with us using our helpline i.e. 1-800-761-1787, and we will be there to rectify the error for permanently.
You might also like: Troubleshooting steps of QuickBooks error 80070057
What is QuickBooks Abort Error and its causes?
Just like other common Errors, QuickBooks desktop abort error can also impact the productivity of the organizations using it. The error is primarily caused because of a file that is damaged such as QBWUSER.INI. It can lead to system crashes etc. Another big issue that this error presents its users with is that it can corrupt files as it makes the system crash while the files are being saved. Several other operations are delayed and users have to face the lag in other to complete simple tasks. When this error occur you may see the following error message on your desktop screen:
“The connection to the company files has been lost. QuickBooks must close immediately. Any unsaved data will need to be re-entered”
QuickBooks desktop abort error has a handful of reasons for occurring. So, here is the list of one of the most common reasons behind this error:
- Users on a multi-user mode network are using different versions of QuickBooks Desktop.
- Several computers on the same network are configured to host the QuickBooks Company file.
- The folder where the company file is saved needs additional permission.
- Windows power management settings are activated in hibernation mode or sleep mode, hence causing the system to sleep at unexpected timings and, thus, the crashing of the software.
- As mentioned earlier, the primary cause of this error is nothing but QBWUSER.INI being missing or damaged.
- Your firewall is blocking access the network.
- It can happen in case the company file is present on a portable drive another computer or on an entirely different network and the connection is being interrupted due to the storage or bandwidth of the device.
Symptoms of QuickBooks Abort Error
It is essential for you to be able to determine the error when its symptoms appear on the device. So, here are some of the symptoms that you might encounter when your device is dealing with the issue of QuickBooks Abort Error:
- This error causes the random crashing of the system.
- You might experience frequent shutdowns and that too without any error message.
- In windows 8, specifically, the QuickBooks Desktop gets terminated out of nowhere.
- The software freezes regularly and it shuts down the whole program automatically.
- You may see QuickBooks unrecoverable error message with an error description.
- The program will be aborted and there is also a chance of Fatal App Exit.
Related article: Fix QBWin.log errors in QuickBooks desktop
Quick Methods to troubleshoot the QuickBooks Abort Error
As we have now discussed the causes as well as the symptoms of this QuickBooks desktop abort error, let us discuss some of the methods with which we can fix the error. QuickBooks desktop needs proper and regular network connection to the data file from the server. Thus, you need to ensure that the hosting status of QuickBooks on your system is right, in a multi user environment. You need to perform the following steps:
- Click on the file menu
- Further, choose utilities tab
- Moreover, select stop hosting multi-user access
This is equally important to configure windows firewall to work well with QuickBooks desktop. As firewall can block essential network access in turn blocking access to many QuickBooks programs. Continue with the measures ahead for fixing the error properly.
Method #1: Disable the Antivirus program and Windows defender
For Antivirus program
- Users require access to the antivirus software, once logged in, visit the settings of the program.
- Here, search for the option to disable the program and click on it.
- Save the changes and restart the device.
For Windows Defender
- Hit a click on the typing space beside the windows icon, and type Window Defender.
- Click on the very first option that appears on the list.
- Search for the option with which you can disable the Windows Defender.
- Once done, Save the changes and restart the device.
Method #2: Checking the hosting status of QuickBooks software
- In this method, you need to visit the files menu.
- Click on the Utilities option.
- After that, hit a click on the stop hosting to multi-user access.
- Followed by opening the company file on the multi-user mode.
- Lastly, look for the check-mark in box stating “Open file in multi-user mode” and you are good to go.
Read also: How to fix QuickBooks error code 12002?
Method #3: Use QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool, from QuickBooks Tool Hub
To resolve QuickBooks abort error you need to use QuickBooks Tool Hub which can help you to resolve common QuickBooks errors.
Step 1: Download the QuickBooks Tool Hub
- First of all, download the QuickBooks Tool Hub file and save the file to your system.
- Open the file you downloaded named with QuickBooksToolHub.exe.
- Now just follow the on-screen instructions to install and agree to the terms and conditions.
- Once the installation completes, open the tool hub by hitting double-click on the tool hub icon.
Step 2: Run QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool, from tools hub
- Open the QuickBooks Tool Hub program.
- In the tool hub, choose the Installation Issues tab.
- Choose the QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool from here and run it. (Note: This toll may take up to 20 minutes or lesser that it.)
- Once the QBinstall diagnostic tool successfully scanned and fixed the problem, reboot your computer.
- Now launch the desktop version of QuickBooks to complete the process.
Method #4: Renaming the ‘QBWUSER.INI’ file
- Start with locating the folder where the ‘QBWUSER.INI’ file is saved.
- In case the file is not located even after searching the storage, check whether the hidden files and folder option is disabled or not, if it is not disabled then disable the option and apply the setting.
- Now, once the file is located, right-click on the file and select the Rename option.
- Hit a click on the text box after the filename and add ‘.odd’
- Once done, rename both the entitlement data store and ‘.ecml’ file‘
- After all the files are renamed, open any company file to complete the process.
See Also: How to fix QuickBooks error code H505?
Method #5: Run verify and rebuild data utility
Following are the steps to run verify and rebuild data utility:
- Firstly open QuickBooks desktop and select the file menu. After that click on the utilities option, along with that click on verify data.
- In case no error message gets displayed after verifying the data, then no need to run the rebuild tool.
- However, if the error message stating “Your data has lost integrity” appears on the screen, then you will be required to repair the damaged data file.
- Next, select the utilities option under the file menu and then click on the rebuild data option.
- Once done with that, hit a click on OK tab on the backup company file popup window.
- Select a location on the system to save the backup of the company file and then hit OK button.
- After the backup file is successful saved on the desktop, the data rebuild process will begin.
- Last step is to restore the backup of the company file, by selecting backup option from the file menu.
Method #6: Use QuickBooks file doctor tool
- In order to use the QuickBooks file doctor tool, you will have to download it first.
- Save the file on the system.
- Next step is to open the file downloaded earlier. It should be noted that the file can be found as QBFD.exe.
- Once done with that, you need to carry out the on-screen prompts and install the QuickBooks file doctor tool.
- The tool will run automatically or launch it by double clicking it.
Read this also: How to set up QuickBooks Desktop to work from home?
Method #7: Configuring Windows firewall manually
You can try configuring the firewall settings manually, if none of the above methods worked. This can be done by carrying out the steps below:
- You need to first open the windows start menu.
- Type in windows firewall and opening the same.
- Choose the advanced settings.
- Followed by right clicking the inbound rules and then choosing the New rule option.
- Select the port and then hit next and now ensure that TCP is selected.
- And also, in the specific local ports field, enter the specific ports needed for QuickBooks.
- Choose next and also, choose the allow the connection and hit next.
- Ascertain that all the profiles are marked and then hit next.
- Now create a rule and also name it and end the process by hitting finish tab.
Method#8: Resolve using the task manager
You can make use of the task manager to fix the issue. The steps to be followed are as follows:
- Starting off with closing QuickBooks and ending QuickBooks programs in the task manager.
- Furthermore, highlight all applications that begin with QB, QuickBooks, and Intuit.
- Hit a click on Stop task.
- Finish the process by running repair QuickBooks.
We hope that this article helped you to tackle QuickBooks Abort Error on your device. In case you are experiencing the same error message even after going through all the above-mentioned methods, you should immediately contact our QuickBooks Support team for quick and precise solutions. Our accounting professionals and CPA’s have cutting-edge tools and technologies to provide the best services instantly. You can connect with using our helpline i.e. 1-800-761-1787, and our executives will be there to assist you in a single call.
Topics you may like: