All about the issue QuickBooks unable to create Accountant’s Copy
The world of accounting experienced a significant change with the introduction of QuickBooks a couple of years ago. It came as a savior of the small- and mid-sized business owners worldwide, equipped with tools and features for managing cash flow, creating invoices, preparing taxes, inventory management and more. It enabled business owners with little or no knowledge of accounting and bookkeeping manage their business operations in a quick and hassle free way.
QuickBooks is helping hundreds of thousands of business owners all around the world. However, despite being a robust software, it does come across with errors and glitches at times. A common error encountered by many users is QuickBooks Unable to Create an Accountant’s Copy. This issue appears while preparing an accountant’s copy. The issue may be related to the folder where the company file is stored or something else. This error may be nagging and may cause you to miss your deadline for a specific task.
So in this article, we will discuss the issues – QuickBooks /failed to create an Accountant’s copy. You can carry out the troubleshooting steps provided in this post one by one in order to fix this QuickBooks error on your own. Alternatively, you can also call our 24*7 QuickBooks error support team at 1-800-761-1787 and speak to one of our certified technicians. Speaking to our team will ensure to provide you with the best possible support services in fixing the accounting related bugs.
You might also like: How to eliminate QuickBooks error code 15241?
What Causes QuickBooks Unable to Create Accountant’s Copy Error?
In QuickBooks, the accountant’s copy is the version of company file that can be used to make changes to the data when you proceed to function. When you are all set to make changes in the QB Accountant Transfer file, you can revert the changes already made for easy importing of the data to the company file. QuickBooks Unable to Create an Accountant’s Copy error isn’t an uncommon error. Before you try to fix this error it is important to understand the causes of the problem. The following are some of the most common issues behind it:
- QuickBooks Desktop requires an update.
- The Company Data file is damaged.
- The internet connection of your computer might be slow or the firewall may be affecting the upload.
- Getting a long dash in MS words and then copying it in the notes can cause this issue.
- The QBW file is 200MB or larger than that.
- Problem sending the data to the Intuit server.
This QuickBooks error may also appear when you try sending the Accountant’s copy with the file transfer. In case you are sending the Accountant’s copy through the Accountant Copy’s File Transfer Service (ACTF), you might receive the following warning text:
Problem in sending the file to the Intuit Server
Warning: There was a problem sending the changes to the accountant’s copy file transfer server. Try again later or save the file and send via email.
Resolve QuickBooks Unable/Failed to Create Accountant’s Copy Issue
Following are some of the quickest steps to resolve this error:
- First check your company file name for any special characters.
It should be noted that the accountant file transfer service only works with QuickBooks desktop 2017 (R14), 2018 (R12) or 2019 (R9), and also QuickBooks desktop enterprise 17 (R14), 8 (R12), or 19 (R9). Thus, if you are making use of an older version, then you will not be able to create an accountant copy when it says fail with no explanation due to incompatibility with ACFT.
- Go to help menu, and then click on update QuickBooks desktop.
- The next step is to look for the update now tab and also ensure to check mark the box for reset updates.
- Click on get updates and also it will start the download process.
- After this, when the download process is complete, restart the QuickBooks software.
- And carry on with the on-screen prompts to install the new release.
- Reduce the size of the company file.
In case the QuickBooks company file size is greater than 200 MB, you may face issues in sending the file to the Intuit server.
This can be done in two ways:
- You can reduce the file size by creating a portable version of the company file, which is easy to move. It is basically a compact version of the company file that’s easy to send. This can be done by moving to the company file and open it, followed by pressing F2 key on the keyboard, so as to open the product information window. If the file size is greater than 200 MB, then you can try to restore QuickBooks portable company file.
- And the other option is to manually save and send the QBX/QBY without the Accountant file transfer service.
- The company file is damaged, resolve it using QuickBooks file doctor tool.
Many times, QuickBooks file doctor tool becomes a savior to majority of users. This tool is designed and developed in a way to resolve all sorts of errors, especially the company file and network related issues. You can either download this tool from Intuit’s website, or can access it through the QuickBooks Tool hub. This tool will resolve the company file damage issue up to a great extent.
- Go to the folder where QuickBooks is stored. And hit a right click on the file and select the sharing and security option.
- And then select the sharing and security option, which will lead to a new dialog box. After that, you need to select permission.
- The next step is to choose add browse option, in order to find the current QB data service user. At times it changes with every updated version, so make sure to give the account change and read permissions before creating accountant’s copy.
- And lastly, try to create an accountant’s copy. Ensure to avoid having the strange character in the file path.
Points to consider when creating the Accountant’s Copy
Once the Accountant’s copy is saved, QuickBooks displays on the screen of the computer ‘Accountant’s Changes Pending’ in the title bar and it will remain the same till the time you add the changes from the Accountant’s copy or remove the restrictions. In case, you remove the restrictions prior to the accountant sends back the changes, you will not be able to make any modification made by the accountant automatically in the application.
Limitations of QuickBooks desktop
There can be certain limitations on the things that can be adjusted with an Accountant’s copy file. For example, users are unable to add, edit, void, or delete the payroll, estimates, sales orders, transfers of funds between accounts or inventory build assemblies.
Begin with creating the QuickBooks Accountant’s copy
The accountant can tell the users to upload an accountant’s copy or backup file but in majority of the cases, the accountant’s copy will be the preferred option. You can create an accountant’s copy in QuickBooks by following the steps we mentioned earlier in this post.
How to Remove Accountant’s Copy Restrictions?
On QuickBooks Desktop when you remove the Accountant’s copy restrictions, it means that you are making the initial accountant’s copy invalid. This happens when your accountant asks for another accountant’s copy or your company files needs to be fixed due to data damage. Before you remove the restrictions ensure that you have taken backup of your company file. Below are the steps to remove restrictions from the accountant’s copy.
- First go to file menu and then select on Send Company File.
- Now select the Accountant’s copy.
- After that choose client activities.
- After this hit a click on Remove Restrictions.
- Now choose Yes, I want to remove Accountant’s copy restrictions and then hit a click on OK button.
Steps to create a local backup copy of the QuickBooks desktop company file
To create a backup of the QuickBooks desktop company file, if the accountant’s copy failed, the steps below can help:
- The first step is to select file from QuickBooks.
- And then, hit a click on switch to single-user mode.
- After that, from the file menu, choose backup company and select create local backup.
- Next, create backup dialog and choose local backup.
- Now you need to select options to open the backup options dialog.
- Followed by, select browse and select the location in which to save the backup copy, in the tell us where to save the backup copied field.
- After that, in the online backup section, you need to select remind me to backup when I close my company file option to set a frequency for backup reminders.
- Once done with that, you need to select one of the verification options to verify the data saved and alter you to any data corruption.
- Now hit a click on OK tab.
- And create backup window, specify whether to back up automatically and select options to set options for automatic backups.
- The final step is to choose finish tab.
Read this also: Converting a QuickBooks desktop for Windows file to the Mac
We have created this article after consulting with our experts. We hope you find the information provided in this post helpful in getting rid of the QuickBooks Unable to Create an Accountant’s Copy error.
However, if you face any challenge in carrying out the troubleshooting steps provided herein or have any queries, then you can connect with our QuickBooks enterprise support team at 1-800-761-1787. Our certified experts are available all the time to guide you and help you with solutions related to QuickBooks errors.
Other helpful topics you may like: