Are you planning to access your company file in multi-user mode? Well, before that it is pertinent that you have the QuickBooks Database Server Manager installed on your PC. The QuickBooks Database Server Manager (QBDSM) is one pivotal tool of the QuickBooks software that recently attracted a lot of attention in the accounting world. QuickBooks database server manager constitutes the one and only way to use the multiple version of QuickBooks desktop over a network. This article shall brief you about the installation process and shall apprise you of the easy methods to use the database server manager.
However, if you aren’t prepared to manually perform the steps to install and use the QuickBooks database server manager, you can get on a call with our technical experts using our dedicated support line i.e., 1(800)-761-1787 and share your technical difficulties with our experts.
You might also like: How to fix QuickBooks error code 6000 304?
QuickBooks Database Server Manager: An Overview
Intuit rolled out the QuickBooks Database Server Manager to help QuickBooks users in organizing applications and files for multiple users. It is also used to share the company files with other systems over the network. Nowadays, it has become a vital tool to use more than one version of QuickBooks Desktop software. More than one user can work on the same file with the help of this tool. Following are some other activities that the QBDSM allows QuickBooks users to perform:
- Scanning the QuickBooks company file
- Check the local storage device to detect the new company file
It should be noted that the QuickBooks desktop needs the optimum file performance on the network and so you can install and set the tool on the system in the location of the company files.
Important points related to the QuickBooks database server manager
There are a few facts that you need to know regarding QuickBooks database server manager. A few of which are enumerated below:
- The Database Server Manager basically creates Network Data Files (.ND files). This tool does it for all the company files that are stored in the host workstation. If you are on multiple versions of QuickBooks Desktop, then in that case you need to install QuickBooks Database Server Manager for each of them.
- If you install this tool, you will be permitted to use multiple versions of the QB processes. Most users confuse it with multiple versions of software, a notion that is incorrect. This tool basically provides the users with multiple variations of processes but not multiple versions of the software.
- Ensure that you install QuickBooks Database Server Manager for each QB Desktop version installed in your system.
- Note that upon installing this tool to your PC, it adds a user to the QuickBooks Desktop.
- Ensure that you have the latest version of QBDBSM installed on your PC.
- When users wish to use multiple versions of QuickBooks desktop, it is essential to install the database server manager in chronological order from oldest to newest for each of the versions.
Similar article: How to host a QuickBooks Desktop company file?
Steps to Install QuickBooks Database Server Manager
In order to install QuickBooks database server manager on the server system, the steps to be followed are scribbled below.
Before beginning with the steps, keep in mind that if you are an accountant or someone who hosts multiple versions of QuickBooks Desktop on the network, then you need to install them in order. Firstly, you are required to install the oldest version first and end with the most recent one. The steps to be carried out are as follows:
- Close all open programs on the server system, including QuickBooks.
- QuickBooks Database server Manager tool is a part of the QuickBooks Desktop file and therefore it should already be available with your accounting software. If you don’t have the tool, install and download it.
- Open the file downloaded earlier (look for Setup_QuickBooks.exe.) and hit on the Start tab in the installation wizard.
- You are then required to follow the on-screen instructions to install QuickBooks Desktop on your PC.
- In case the system has internet connectivity, then download the update by hitting on next. In case the system is not connected with an internet, then tap on No and hit Next.
- Close all programs and hit on Next.
- Follow it up by reading the Terms of the software license agreement and agreeing to the same by choosing I accept the terms and license agreement.
- When you receive a prompt to choose the install type, pick the Custom or network options. Then hit on Next, and avoid opting for Express.
- Choose the best option for the Network setup and then again hit on Next. It should be noted that both the options will install the tool. In case QuickBooks is already installed on the server system, this won’t overwrite any existing company data.
- In case you wish to have QuickBooks database server manager and QB desktop on the server system, then choose I’ll be using QuickBooks desktop on this computer, AND I’ll be storing….
- The other option can be chosen if you wish the Database Server Manager to be on your computer. In that case, you have to choose I’ll not be using QB Desktop.
- Hit on Yes and Allow access then enter you unique license number and product number.
- Carry out the on-screen instructions. And then select Install, when done. You might be prompted for permissions by Windows.
The point to be noted here is that the QuickBooks software creates a new Windows user for each version of Database server manager. Thus, you need to give you permission to access the folders that have the company file.
How to configure the QuickBooks database server manager?
Now that you have installed the QBDSM, it is time to configure it. This process can be skipped, if you wish to use the default settings. The steps involved in this method are as follows:
If you only installed QuickBooks database server manager:
- Initially, hit on the Windows start menu.
- Type in Services into the Search field and then open Services.
- Next step in the process is to choose and open the QuickBooksDBXX.XX service (XX refers to the version number).
- Moving ahead, proceed to the General tab and then find the server status section. You would then need to opt for Stop if it’s started or running.
- Once done with that, hit on the Automatic option from the Startup type.
- Move to the logon tab and choose Local system account option.
- Afterward, move to the Recovery tab. Afterward, choose the restart the service from each of the drop down menus.
- The final step is to move back to the General tab. And also choose Start to restart the database server manager.
If you installed QuickBooks desktop and database server manager:
- Under this method, you are required to first open the QuickBooks desktop on the server computer.
- Subsequently, proceed to the File menu and also choose Open or restore company.
- Next step is to choose Open a company file. And then look for and Open the company file. You are then required to hit on Next tab.
- Choose the Open file in multi-user mode checkbox, and also opt for Open tab.
- Once done with that, Log in to the company file.
- Head to the File menu and choose Close company/log of. This will close the company file on the server.
- Follow it up by opening the windows Start menu.
- Type in Database into the search bar and then open the QuickBooks database server manager.
If all seems good, then you can move ahead without any issue.
You may also read: How to Resolve QuickBooks Error 1601, 1603 and 1642?
How to use the QuickBooks database server manager?
Database server manager lets you share and manage your company files with other Pc’s over your network. This tool also helps you to monitor your multi-user network. At the time you set-up a network, you need to have QBDBSM running so that users can access your company files.
After you have installed the database server manager, it is time to scan the company files. After scanning, you can access the company files from other system on the network. This will allow you to work on the network in QuickBooks desktop from multiple systems. The steps involved in this process are as follows:
Step 1: Open the QuickBooks database server manager
- At first, close the QuickBooks desktop.
- Download the QuickBooks Tools Hub.
- After that double-click on the downloaded file named as QuickBooksToolHub.exe.
- Now, follow the on-screen commands to Install and Agree to the terms and conditions.
- Once the installation finishes, double-click on the icon to launch the tool hub.
- Now proceed to the Network Issues tab and choose QuickBooks Database Server Manager.
Step 2: Scan the folders
Before sharing the files, you need to scan the folders having them. You only need to scan them once.
- Initially, open the windows Start menu on the server system.
- Afterward, type Database into the Search and open QuickBooks database server manager.
- The next step is to move to the Scan folders tab. In case you are making use of database server manager 2019, then this process shares all of the folders. You might want to set the Folder permissions so that you only gives access to specific users.
- You should then required to select Browse option, and then select the Folders that hold the company files.
- After that, hit OK button.
- And then opt for the Start scan tab.
Once the scan finishes, the folders appear in the QuickBooks files found section. You can now access the company files in these folders.
Step 3: Add folders
- You should Add folders tab and then choose the Folder, where it is to be included.
- The location of the folder under the folders which contain the QuickBooks company file.
Step 4: Remove folder
- One can remove the folder by choosing the Folders containing the QuickBooks company file(s) and then hitting on Remove folder.
Step 5: Clicking on Scan tab
- Opt for the Scan the folders tab listed under the folders that contain the QuickBooks company files.
- After the scan finishes, you will see the List of company files found on that folder.
Step 6: Monitor your drives
After scanning the folders, the drives that hold them show up in the Monitored drives tab. You are required to choose the Drive to monitor these folders. This way, you won’t require re-scanning the folders, if you ever Change or move the company files in them. The steps involved in this process are as follows:
- In the inception, head to the Monitored drives tab.
- Mark the Check-boxes for the hard drives that hold the company files. The point to be noted is that you need to only add drives that hold the company files.
Now change or move the company files on the drive, then they won’t require to Rescan the folders.
See Also: How to Fix QuickBooks Error 1606?
Step 7: Manage database server manager
It should be noted that there are various other tabs in QuickBooks database server manager that preserve everything in a smooth condition, which includes:
- The System tab notifies the location where the database server manager is installed on the system.
- The Database server tab gives you the real-time status of the tool and also the information regarding its connection.
An important point to be noted here is that the QuickBooks desktop 2020 uses dynamic ports and specific port number for better performance. In case the database server manager isn’t running, you might need to change the firewall settings, so that it can run on the server.
Steps to update QuickBooks database server manager
After understanding all the above-illustrated procedures, you should also know the process to update the QuickBooks database server manager. The steps involved are:
- Visit the official website of Intuit and download the update patch for QB database server manager.
- Also, the server needs to be rebooted after update.
- You will see a message “The company file needs to be updated to work with this version of QuickBooks desktop“.
- Create a backup of the file once the server is ready to make specific changes.
- Carry out the set of instructions displayed on the screen and the file will be ready to open.
With this we come to the end of the blog post. We hope that the information shared here will help you to install, use and update QuickBooks database server manager. However, if you are facing any intricacy in carrying out the process, or in case of any query, do not hesitate in talking to our QuickBooks support professionals. Simply connect with our tech professionals on our support number i.e., 1-800-761-1787, and our experts will be happy to assist you.
Other helpful articles: