QuickBooks is one of the most used accounting and bookkeeping software available in the market today. This application by Intuit makes day to day business operations very easy and also saves time. That’s why small and medium-sized businesses depend a lot on QuickBooks. A key tool of this application is the QuickBooks Database Server Manager. As it has been observed that most of the users have to go through a lot of hassle to install, and use the QuickBooks Database Server Manager. So, in this article we will discuss in depth the process to install and use QuickBooks database server manager.
What is QuickBooks Database Server Manager?
The QuickBooks Database Server Manager is a very effective tool offered to QuickBooks users that actually helps the users in organizing applications for multiple users. This tool is provided to the users by Intuit. This tool lets the user to share the company files with other systems over the network. Without this tool, the users will be unable to use the multiple version of QuickBooks Desktop. This tool actually helps the users in organizing applications for multiple users. As it lets multiple users to work on the same company file at the same time.
Facts associated with QuickBooks database server manager
There are a few facts that the user needs to know regarding QuickBooks database server manager. A few of which are stated below:
- The QuickBooks Database Server Manager basically creates Network Data Files (.ND files). This tool does it for all the company files that are stored in the host workstation. If you are on multiple versions of QuickBooks Desktop, then in that case you have to install QuickBooks Database Server Manager for each of them.
- If you install this tool, you will be permitted to multiple versions of QuickBooks processes. Most of the users confuse it with multiple versions of software which is incorrect. This tool basically provides the users with multiple variations of processes but not multiple versions of the software.
- Ensure that you install QuickBooks Database Server Manager for each QuickBooks Desktop that are installed in the system
- Note that this tool once you install on your computer adds a user to the QuickBooks Desktop
- Make sure that the latest version of QuickBooks Database Server Manager is installed.
- When the user wishes to use multiple versions of QuickBooks desktop, it is important to install the database server manager in chronological order from oldest to newest for each of the version.
Steps to Install QuickBooks Database Server Manager
In order to install QuickBooks database server manager on the server system, the steps to be followed are scribbled below.
Before beginning with the steps, the user needs to keep one thing in mind that of you are an accountant or someone who hosts multiple versions of QuickBooks Desktop on the network, then the user needs to install them in order. The user is first required to install the oldest version first and end with the most recent one. The steps to be carried out are as follows:
- First of all, the user needs to close all open programs on the server system, including QuickBooks.
- After that Download QuickBooks database server manager tool. (Database server manager tool is a part of QuickBooks so you need to download the QuickBooks desktop first)
- And then, open the install file downloaded earlier, which will be named as Setup_QuickBooks.exe.
- The user is then required to follow the on-screen instructions to install QuickBooks desktop to on your system.
- After that, when the user is prompted to select the install type, click on custom or network options. Then select next, and avoid selecting Express.
- The next step in the process is to select the best option for the network setup and then again click on Next. It should be noted that, both of the option will install the tool. In case QuickBooks desktop is already installed on the server system, this won’t overwrite any existing company data.
- In case the user wishes to have QuickBooks database server manager and QuickBooks desktop on the server system, then he/she will be required to select I’ll be using QuickBooks desktop on this computer, AND I’ll be storing….
- Whereas, the other option can be selected if the user wishes the Database Server Manager on your computer than in that case you have to select I’ll not be using QuickBooks Desktop.
- The last step in the process is to carry out the on-screen instructions. And then select install, when done. The user might be prompted for permissions by Windows.
The point to be noted here is that the QuickBooks software creates a new Windows user for each version of Database server manager. Thus, the user needs to give the user permission to access the folders that have the company file.
Steps to configure the QuickBooks database server manager
Now that you have installed the QBDSM, it is time to configure it. This process can be skipped, if the user wishes to use the default settings. The steps involved in this method are as follows:
- First of all, open the Windows start menu.
- And then, type in services into the search option and then open services.
- The next step in the process is to select and open QuickBooksDBXX. XX here is the version number.
- Moving ahead, the user needs to move to the general tab and then find the server status section. The user needs to select stop, if it’s started or running.
- Once done with that, the user needs to select automatic from the startup type.
- And then move to the logon tab and choose local system account option.
- Moving ahead, the user needs to move to the recovery tab. And then choose the restart the service from each of the drop down menus.
- The last step is to move back to the General tab. And also select Start to restart the database server manager.
How to use QuickBooks database server manager?
QB database server manager lets you share and manage your company files with other Pc’s over your network. This tool also helps you to monitor your multi-user network. At the time you set-up a network, you need to have QBDBSM running so that users can access your company files.
After you have installed the database server manager, it is time to scan the company files. After scanning, the user can access the company files from other system on the network. This will let the user on the network work together in QuickBooks desktop from multiple systems. The steps involved in this process are as follows:
Step 1: Open the QuickBooks database server manager
- Close your QuickBooks desktop
- After that download the QuickBooks Tools Hub.
- Then, click on downloaded file named as QuickBooksToolHub.exe.
- Now follow the on-screen commands to install and agree to the terms and conditions.
- Once the installation finishes, hit double click the on the icon to open the tool hub.
- Now go to the Network Issues tab and choose QuickBooks Database Server Manager.
Step 2: Scan the folders
Before sharing the files, the user needs to scan the folders having them. The user only needs to scan them once.
- First of all, the user needs to open the windows Start menu on the server system.
- And then type database into the search and open QuickBooks database server manager.
- The next step is to move to the scan folders tab. In case the user is making use of database server manager 2019, then this process shares all of the folders. The user might want to set the folder permissions so that he/she only gives access to specific users.
- The user is then required to select browse option, and then select the folders that hold the company files.
- After that, hit OK button.
- And then select Start scan.
Once the scan finishes, the folders appear in the QuickBooks files found section. The user can now access the company files in these folders.
Step 3: Monitor your drives
After scanning the folders, the drives that hold them show up in the monitored drives tab. The user is required to choose the drive to monitor these folders. This way, the user won’t require rescanning the folders, if the user ever change or move the company files in them. The steps involved in this process are as follows:
- First of all, the user needs to move to the Monitored drives tab.
- And then, select the checkboxes for the hard drives that hold the company files. The point to be noted is that the user needs to only add drives that hold the company files.
Now, of the user will change or move the company files on the drive, then they won’t require to rescan the folders.
Step 4: Manage database server manager
It should be noted that there are various other tabs in QuickBooks database server manager that keep everything in smooth condition, which includes:
- The system tab notifies the user where the database server manager is installed on the system
- And the database server tab gives user the real-time status of the tool and also the information regarding its connection.
The point to be noted here is that the QuickBooks desktop 2020 uses dynamic ports and specific port number for better performance. In case the database server manager isn’t running, the user might need to change the firewall settings, so that it can run on the server.
With this we come to the end of the blog post, where we hope that the information shared in here will help the user in installing and using QuickBooks database server manager. However, if you are facing any difficulty in carrying out the process, or in case of any query, do not hesitate in talking to our QuickBooks support professionals.
You can simply call at our toll-free number i.e. 1(888)-383-0323, and our experts will be happy to assist you.