No doubt, QuickBooks is a fantastic software, but at the same time it can’t be denied that it is prone to certain errors. One such error that is often reported by the users is the ‘QuickBooks error code 15240‘. This error can be pretty much annoying for the users. It is basically an update error that can trouble you while updating the QuickBooks desktop or also at the time of updating the payroll software. Also this error might also be seen when there is mis-configuration with internet explorer settings, time and date settings, etc.
This error code is always accompanied by any of the two error messages:
QuickBooks error 15240: HRESULT XXXXX the QuickBooks updated did not complete successfully
QuickBooks error 15240: HRESULT XXXXX the payroll update did not complete successfully
You might also encounter any of the below errors while updating the QuickBooks Desktop or downloading a payroll update,
- “File exists: The file you specified cannot be opened. Make sure that it is not being used by another program”
- “Internet connection error: unknown error”
What is QuickBooks payroll error 15240 and why it occurs?
To understand it better we can say that, QuickBooks update error 15240 is may appear when you try to download any update for the software. This error might also hamper the work, and can be encountered often. There can be a handful of factors leading to such an error, which we will be elaborating later in this article. Considering the trouble that you are facing we have come up with this post, where we will be talking about the ways to resolve this error. Make sure to read this post carefully till the end. You can also get in touch with our QuickBooks payroll customer support team to instantly rectify this error and save your precious time and efforts.
You might also see: How to troubleshoot QuickBooks error 1904?
Triggers to the QuickBooks error 15240
As we mentioned above, there can be a couple of causes to this error. Let us have a look at some of the common factors leading to the error:
- You are not using the latest version of QuickBooks.
- You have logged in as a windows admin or you are not running the application as an admin.
- In case the download link that has been specified is incorrect or the invalid but the download is active.
- If you are using the QuickBooks multi-user mode in a terminal service setting.
- You might also face this error in case of damaged windows or corrupted registry files.
- There might be a damaged QuickBooks update.
Signs and symptoms of QuickBooks error 15240
In order to identify the QuickBooks error code 15240, it is important for you to check out the signs and symptoms enlisted below:
- The first sign can be if the QuickBooks is not able to install the latest update
- Your payroll update has failed
- If you are unable to do payroll in your QuickBooks
This error usually ends in hindering the payroll update, and also as a consequence of this error the system crashes frequently. The windows might also run sluggishly and do not or give the slightest response to the mouse and keyboard inputs. It might also freeze for a few seconds, which can be annoying as hell for you.
Consequences of QuickBooks update error 15240
QuickBooks payroll provides the payroll updates to the customers, and gives the current and correct rates and calculations. So, if you are unable to transfer the most recent payroll update, then the wage of the worker created by the software might not be accurate. Or you might also face certain irregularities resulting in hampering the productivity of the business. It is very important for you to ensure that the correct and timely payment of salaries are made.
You may also consider: How to rectify the QuickBooks error 6129?
Methods to fix the QuickBooks payroll update error 15240
There can be a couple of solutions that you can perform to fix the QuickBooks error code 15240. Let us check out each of the methods one by one:
Method 1: Run your QuickBooks as admin rights
Many times, you need to access the QuickBooks using the admin credentials, and in case you have not logged in as admin, then it is probable to encounter the error. You need to carry out the steps below:
- The initial step is to visit the QuickBooks icon on the desktop and right click the same.
- After that you need to select the Run as Administrator option.
- Next, open the properties and check the compatibility for all users.
Method 2: Verifying the Internet explorer settings
In case running the QuickBooks as admin doesn’t work, then you can verify the internet explorer settings. The steps involved in this process are as follows:
- To begin with that, you need to choose the gear icon and then select the Internet options.
- After that you need to navigate to the advanced tab.
- Then, under security tab you need to mark Use SSL 2.0 and Use SSL 3.0.
- The final step in this process is to select Apply and then hit OK button.
See Also: How to solve QuickBooks error 6000 82?
Method 3: Checking the third-party firewall
You can also check the third-party firewall settings to get rid of this issue, as many times the firewall might hinder smooth communication of the software with other files. The steps involved in this process are as follows:
- Consult the developer of the third-party firewall for instructions on the process to adjust the settings and permit QuickBooks to download and install updates.
- Also ensure the following files are having the access to go through the firewall:
- You are also supposed to verify that the ports 80 and 443 are not disabled.
Method 4: Checking the system date and time settings
- For this, you are supposed to choose the time display on the system and then select the change date and time settings.
- After that set the correct date and time.
- Also, choose the Apply and OK options.
Method 5: Reinstalling the software using clean install tool
This process can help you in clearing all the junk that might have accumulated over the period of time with continuous use. You must ensure to have a complete backup of the company file, in order to avoid any kind of data loss. The steps involved to perform a clean install of QuickBooks desktop are as follows:
- Firstly, uninstall the QuickBooks desktop from the system.
- Renaming the installation folders by downloading and running the QuickBooks clean install tool.
- And then reinstall the QuickBooks software.
You can also run clean install tool using directly from QuickBooks tool hub.
Method 6: Verifying that the security software settings are tuned in correctly
Often the security software and anti malware software might interfere with the working of QuickBooks, resulting in such an error. You will have to ensure to configure the settings of the software, and make the process smooth in QuickBooks.
Method 7: Adding Windows permissions to QuickBooks installation folders
This is the last method, where you can add the windows permissions to QuickBooks installation folders in order to fix the error by carrying out the steps below:
- At first, close your QuickBooks.
- And then visit the C:\Program Files\. And for 64 bit uses, C:Program files (x86).
- Next, hit a right click on the intuit folder and then choose the properties option.
- Now move to the security tab and then select advanced option.
- You need to ensure that the owner of the folder is the user group. If not, then you will be required to take ownership of the Intuit folder, by carrying out the steps below:
- Select change beside the owner name on the advanced security settings window.
- Type users in the enter the object name to select field, and also select the check names.
- Next step is to hit OK button.
- And also mark replace owner on sub-containers and objects.
- Once done with that, hit Apply and OK tabs.
- Also select the users on the permissions window and then click on the full control option.
- Select the apply and OK tab.
- You should try downloading the updates, and if the error repeats, then carry out the above steps for the following folders:
- C:\Program Files\Common Files\Intuit
- (64-bit users) C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Intuit
- C:\Users\Your User Name\AppData\Local\Intuit
You may also see: What is QuickBooks error code 12152?
Expert assistance is just a call away!
Carrying out the above steps can help you in getting rid of the QuickBooks payroll error 15240 up to a great extent, whereas if something is still troubling you then do not think much in calling us anytime. Connect with us right away using our dedicated support line i.e. 1-800-761-1787 and speak to our QuickBooks enterprise customer support team today. Feel free to reach out to us with any of your QuickBooks queries, as you will definitely get the most satisfied answer to your query here. Help is available 24/7