Learn how to fix Error 1646: installing quickbooks.msi uninstallation of the update package is not supported:
If you have stopped by this post, then you might be definitely facing the Error 1646 installing quickbooks.msi uninstallation of the update package is not supported. This prompt often appears on the screen, when you try to install QuickBooks desktop premier on a system that is having QuickBooks desktop pro of the same year already installed. Not only this, but this sort of error can also be encountered while installing QuickBooks accountant on a system that already has a premier version installed that too of the same year. As the error message itself sounds pretty annoying, so is the error:
So, here we are with the most relevant solution to this error. Make sure that you read this thread till the end. Or else, if you are short of time, you can simply give us a call at 1-800-761-1787, and ask our professionals to fix the error on your behalf. Our QuickBooks error support team will be happy to help you.
Signs of QuickBooks error 1603
- You can identify the error when the company file is locked.
- If the Microsoft NET 1.1 SP1 installer is installed inappropriately.
- Your temp windows temporary folders might be full.
- In case you are using an outdated version of OS.
- Damaged Microsoft C++ and MSXML components can be another sign for the same.
- Installation process might not be getting permissions.
Read this also: Resolve QuickBooks error code 12029
Steps to resolve QuickBooks error code 1646
You can simply carry out the clean install tool to resolve the QuickBooks error 1646. A clean install won’t affect the accounting data since the company file and everything it holds aren’t involved at all. The steps involved in clean install tool are as follows:
Step 1: Gather the QuickBooks product information
- You need to download the installer for your version of QuickBooks.
- And also have the license number handy.
- Make sure to write down the product year and version.
Step 2: Uninstall QuickBooks desktop
- You need to remove QuickBooks by opening the Start menu and then looking for Control panel and opening the same.
- Next step is to choose programs and features or uninstall a program.
- After that select the version of QuickBooks desktop you are having issues with.
- Moving ahead, you need to select the uninstall or change and then remove and also hit next.
Step 3: Rename the QuickBooks desktop installation folders manually
The next step is to manually rename the folders, to reflect the hidden files after that rename the folder location. This can be done by adding .Old at the end of the folder names and that’s it. This action will permit you to avoid QuickBooks from recognizing the folder at the time when you will make the new one. Now, move to the last step.
Read it Also: How to Fix QuickBooks Update Error 1625?
Step 4: Reinstalling QuickBooks desktop
Once the above steps are complete, you are supposed to reinstall the QuickBooks software and check if the error persists.
Uninstall QuickBooks and manually rename the installation folders
- At first, you need to uninstall QuickBooks.
- Follow the steps to display hidden files.
- Open the windows start menu. You are required to look for “File explorer” and open the same.
- You will then have to spot and open the folder that holds QuickBooks company files. This will be the QuickBooks folder in normal cases. You can find this in any of the below mentioned paths:
- C:\Users\(Current user)\AppData\Local\Intuit\QuickBooks(year)
- C:\Program Files\Intuit\QuickBooks (year)
- 64-bit version C:\Program Files (x86)\Intuit\QuickBooks (year)
- Now hit a right click on the folder and choose rename option.
- Next step is to add the word “old” at the end of the folder name. This will prevent the QuickBooks software from trying to open it when you reinstall.
- Lastly re-install QuickBooks desktop.
In case you identify an access error message, while trying to rename the folder, then the below steps could help:
- Initially, you need to right click the windows task bar, and also choose the task manager.
- Once done with that, move to the processes tab.
- Followed by opting for name column header to sort the list.
- Next step is to select the following processes and then end process for each: QBDBMgrN.exe, QBDBMgr.exe, QBCFMonitorService.exe, Qbw32.exe.
- Towards the end, you are supposed to select yes, in case an error message is seen stating “WARNING: Terminating a process can cause undesired results..“.
Well, carrying out the above clean install process might help you in getting rid of QuickBooks error 1646. However, if for any reason this error continues to trouble you, then do not waste time just ring up at 1-800-761-1787, and ask our QuickBooks customer support team to deal with this error on your behalf. Help is available round the clock!
People also searched for: