Easy guide to fix Error 1646: installing quickbooks.msi uninstallation of the update package is not supported:
QuickBooks desktop software has always been at the forefront when it comes to providing a fillip to accountancy and business sectors. However, as a QuickBooks user, you might suddenly bump into some or the error technical snag. In this invaluable segment, we will be throwing light on one such error stating as
|Warning||Error 1646 installing quickbooks.msi uninstallation of the update package is not supported|
This error shows up when you try to install QuickBooks desktop premier on a system that is having QuickBooks desktop pro of the same year already installed. Not only this but this sort of error can also be encountered while installing QuickBooks software on a system that already has a premier version installed that too of the same year. As the error message itself sounds pretty annoying, so is the error:
So, here we are with the most relevant solution to QuickBooks error code 1646. Make sure that you read this thread till the end. Or else if you are short of time, you can simply get on a call with our tech team using our dedicated support line i.e., 1-800-761-1787, and ask our professionals to fix the error on your behalf.
Signs and Symptoms of the QuickBooks Error Code 1646
Check out the conspicuous symptoms that users usually witness upon the arrival of the QuickBooks error 1646 when installing the software:
- The company file may get locked.
- If the Microsoft NET 1.1 SP1 installer is installed inappropriately.
- Damaged Microsoft C++ and MSXML components can be another sign of the same.
- In case you are using an outdated version of OS.
- The Windows temporary folder might be full.
- The installation process might not be getting permissions.
Read this also: What is the System requirements for QuickBooks Desktop 2022?
Steps to resolve the QuickBooks error code 1646
Conforming to the clean install tool is an effective and easy way of resolving the QuickBooks error message 1646. It is pertinent to note that performing a clean installation has no effect on your important accounting data. This is because the company file and its contents are not affected by performing the clean installation. The procedure for proceeding with the clean install is enumerated below:
Step 1: Check the product information in QuickBooks Desktop
- In the inception, launch the QuickBooks Desktop software.
- Subsequently, hit the F2 key on the keyboard to show the Product Information Window on the screen.
- The Window contains all the necessary product-related information.
- Make sure to note down all the pertinent details including the License Number, and the Product key.
- Also, make sure that you note down the product year and version.
Step 2: Uninstall QuickBooks desktop
- Uninstalling the QuickBooks software is a cakewalk and requires you to follow the below-mentioned steps:
- Hit the Start menu and follow it up by accessing the Control Panel. An easy way to do the same is to type Control in the Search box, followed by double-clicking on the Control Panel.
- Afterward, choose the Programs and features tab. You may also hit on the Uninstall a program option.
- Choose the version of your QuickBooks Desktop.
- Afterward, hit on the Uninstall/Change.
- Subsequently, choose the Remove option and finally hit on Next.
Read it Also: How to Fix QuickBooks Update Error 1625?
Step 3: Manually rename the installation folders
You are now required to rename the installation folders of QuickBooks. Right-click on the folder and include ‘.old‘ at the end of the folder name. Renaming the folder will prevent the QuickBooks software from accessing it. As a resort, QuickBooks will create a new folder without accessing the renamed folder.
It is an effective way of getting rid of QuickBooks install error 1646. However, if this step doesn’t rectify the error, it is highly recommended that you proceed with the re-installing of the QuickBooks software, enumerated in the following step.
Step 4: Reinstall the QuickBooks desktop software
If the preceding steps didn’t fix the issue, we recommend that you reinstall the QuickBooks software. Reinstalling the software can go a long way toward fixing a plethora of bugs or technical snags perpetuating in the software. Follow the below-mentioned steps to re-install the software:
- From the Start menu, search for Control and double-click on the Control panel.
- Within the control panel window, hit on Programs and features.
- Select QuickBooks from the list of installed software’s.
- Afterward, choose Uninstall/Change, followed by hitting on Uninstall.
- Wait for the process to culminate.
- Once the process completes, reboot the PC.
- Reinstall the QuickBooks Desktop software. Make sure that you have the product and license keys in hand as you shall need them during the installation process.
- Proceed with the installation process and follow the instructions that come along.
- Once completed, launch the QuickBooks software and check if the error got wiped off from your system.
Step 5: Uninstall QuickBooks and manually rename the installation folders (Optional)
- Initially, you need to uninstall QuickBooks.
- Follow the steps to display hidden files.
- Open the windows Start menu, look for “File Explorer” and open the same. You can alternatively open it by hitting the Win + E keys together.
- You will then have to spot and open the folder that holds QuickBooks company files. This will be the QuickBooks folder in normal cases. You can find this in any of the below-mentioned paths:
- C:\Users\(Current user)\AppData\Local\Intuit\QuickBooks(year)
- C:\Program Files\Intuit\QuickBooks (year)
- 64-bit version C:\Program Files (x86)\Intuit\QuickBooks (year)
- Now, hit a right-click on the Folder and choose Rename option.
- Next step is to add the word “old” at the end of the folder name. This will prevent the QuickBooks software from trying to open it when you reinstall.
- Lastly, reinstall the QuickBooks desktop.
In case you identify an access error message while trying to rename the folder, then the below-mentioned steps could assist you:
- Initially, right-click the Windows taskbar and choose the Task manager.
- Once the task manager opens, move to the Processes tab.
- Follow it up by opting for the name column header to sort the list.
- Next step is to choose the following processes and end each of these processes: QBDBMgrN.exe, QBDBMgr.exe, QBCFMonitorService.exe, Qbw32.exe.
- Towards the end, choose Yes, in case an error message is seen stating “WARNING: Terminating a process can cause undesired results..“.
Also see: Troubleshoot QuickBooks cannot communicate with the company file error
Well, carrying out the above clean install process might help you in getting rid of QuickBooks error 1646. However, if for any reason this error continues to trouble you, then do not waste time just ring up using our dedicated line i.e., 1-800-761-1787, and ask our QuickBooks customer support team to deal with this error on your behalf. Help is available round the clock!
People also searched for:
Connect your email to QuickBooks Desktop
Reset your password using QuickBooks automated password tool
How to solve QuickBooks server busy error?