Learn how to move or re-install an old QuickBooks Desktop to new system:
Have you made a decision to change the computer system that you are currently working on? Hang on! What about your QuickBooks software? Well, shifting to a new system also requires transferring QuickBooks desktop to a new system. This can be a hectic yet inescapable process. It is a sensible step to change the system after every few years to get your hands on some amazing functionalities and upgrades. Some of the reasons behind this decision can be a better-evolved configuration, faster speed, more space, and many more. In such a situation, you might find transferring QuickBooks accounting software to be a brain teaser.
Once you have installed a newer or the same version of QuickBooks on the new computer, you can transfer a backup of the old system’s company file. And continue to track the scheduled payments to vendors, the rent, and the record of all business income and expenses after the process completes. This segment is written with the intent to provide a better insight into the process of transferring QuickBooks Desktop to a new computer. You should stay glued to this piece of article or connect with our U.S.-based accounting professionals today itself!
You might also see: How to Fix QuickBooks Won’t Open Portable Company File?
Requirements to Transfer QuickBooks to an Another Computer
Transferring QuickBooks desktop to a new system doesn’t require a huge list of things, it just demands a few basic things, which we have enlisted below. Let us explore together:
- You might have to register for the software after the installation and also ensure that the new system is connected to proper internet services.
- Uninstall QuickBooks desktop from the old system, but only after creating a backup of the QuickBooks company files.
- Keep the QuickBooks software installation disk or the setup file stored on an external device.
- License and product registration details are other important things that are a must for transferring the software.
- You might also require an external storage device to store the QuickBooks desktop files.
- You will have to have a USB flash drive with enough free space to hold QuickBooks files. And the tool will tell us the free space required. It can be approximately 15 to 250 MB.
Steps to Move or Reinstall QuickBooks Desktop Files to Another Computer
Following are the quick steps to move your QuickBooks and its data from your old Computer to a new computer:
Use Migrator Tool to transfer QuickBooks desktop
If you require to reinstall or move QuickBooks desktop to another system, then the migrator tool would help, or this can also be performed by carrying out a manual process. The transfer process can be carried out in two parts, which we have elaborated on later in this write-up. Before you head further, make sure to have access to the admin user, as the steps can be performed only using the admin credentials.
Important: To use the Migrator Tool, you’ll need to be the Company Admin.
Basics of Migrator tool (How the tool actually works?)
Before you jump onto the process directly, get familiar with the basics of the migrator tool. This is how the migrator tool works:
- Create a complex password for unlocking everything copied to the new system. The password is used once and only by the migrator tool. Also, you should make a note of the password to avoid losing it.
- Later, the tool will copy up to the last 3 company files opened to a USB flash drive.
- Also, use the flash drive for moving the files. The Migrator tool handles the rest of the technical work.
- The tool will then download the right version of QuickBooks desktop to the new system and will set it up with the files.
- Keep a note of the fact that the tool wouldn’t reformat the drive or erase of the other files.
Steps for Setting up and using the Migrator Tool in QuickBooks
Now that you know the basics of the migrator tool and other important facts, it is the right time to unleash the steps for setting up and using the migrator tool in QuickBooks. The steps can be divided into two parts; steps for the old computer and the new computer. Let us check out each of the steps one by one:
Step 1: Procedure to follow on the old computer
- To kick start the process, you need to first download and Save the QuickBooks Migrator tools on a USB flash drive. Moreover, one can easily download it from the official intuit website.
- Later, plug in the USB drive to the old system.
- Open QuickBooks and head towards Files > Utilities > Move QuickBooks to another system and then pick the option stating “I’m Ready”.
- Further, QuickBooks will ask you to create a complex password to secure the company files in the USB flash drive. Keep in mind that this is a one-time password, and you will require this password when you plug-ins USB to the new system. Make a note of the password to avoid any further hassle.
- Pay heed to the On-screen instructions, which will start the process of copying files.
- It might take time for this process to complete, which largely depends upon the size of the company files. The size of the company files usually falls between 150 to 250 MB.
Step 2: Procedure to follow on the new computer
- When inserting the USB drive, the migrator tool will not run on its own due to the Windows security protocols, and this is the reason that you need to run it manually.
- To start with the migrator tool, open the flash drive and look for the Move_QuickBooks.bat file and then run it.
- Later, enter the One-time password created earlier and wait for the tool to complete the procedure.
QuickBooks migrator tool file will automatically delete upon completion of the process. However, other data in the USB will remain untouched. To avoid any mess, change the name of the files on the old system to avoid any mess.
- Furthermore, you need to head toward the Help tab and click on Register QuickBooks.
- Enter all the necessary details like Phone number, postal code, and license key for completing the registration.
Information that won’t move along with this process
There are certain information and data that you might have to move manually. This information includes the following:
- You might have to uninstall Intuit data protect on the old system and then sign in it again in the new system.
- The company files (other than the three most recently opened) won’t get copied.
- The QuickBooks payroll and Payment service data will have to be moved manually by logging in to the new system.
- Multi-user setup information won’t get transferred on it’s own, and would have to be moved by you to the new system.
- In case you have created a Manual backup, then it would have to be copied manually.
Manual Procedure to Transfer QuickBooks Desktop from Old Computer to a New Computer
Users can manually transfer QuickBooks from the old computer to a new computer, and this would move most of the QuickBooks data at once. The steps involved in these processes are as follows:
Step 1: Creating backup of the company files and QuickBooks license
- Under this particular process, Create a backup of company files and QuickBooks product license to the external storage device.
- Now, download and Restore the backup file to the new system.
- Upon successful transfer, Uninstall the QuickBooks software.
Step 2: Restore the backup of the company files on the new system
- Install QuickBooks on the new system.
- Afterward, Insert the storage device.
- Heading forward, open QuickBooks and navigate to the File menu and also choose the Open and restore company option.
- Hit on the option to Restore a backup copy and hit Next again.
- To Restore the backup from the external device, click on the Local backup option and also head toward the backup file created in the old system.
- Now, you will have to pick a location in the new system for saving the backup file, and then lastly, click on the Save tab.
Related Article: How to Resolve QuickBooks Online Error 6250?
Have you implemented all of the above-stated steps for importing QuickBooks desktop to a new computer in the right manner? Well, if yes then you are good to go and start using your QuickBooks software on the new system.
If you get stuck somewhere; or your queries remained unanswered, then reach out to our QuickBooks technical support team using our dedicated support line at 1-800-761-1787. Our U.S. based CPA’s and accounting professionals, will ensure to answer all your queries ASAP!
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
You can export all of your QuickBooks data by following the steps:
1. First, open Settings.
2. Click on the Export Data option.
3. Then, pick the Reports tab or the List tab based on the data you wish to export.
4. Now, discard the items to be exported using the ON/Off Slider.
5. Click on the All dates filter and select the period.
6. Finally, Hit on the Export option.
Yes, you have the leverage to use QuickBooks from a different PC. This requires mapping the server as a network drive. You can subsequently use the multi-user mode in QuickBooks.
QuickBooks Migration Tool is an Avante-grade tool for migrating your QuickBooks company files across different computer systems. By taking the aid of this tool, you don’t need to get into the hassle of manually transferring your files from one computer to another.
The QuickBooks migration Tool takes about 30 minutes to complete the migration process. However, the time elapsed may vary depending on your internet speed, system configuration, and the size of the data to be migrated.
Yes, you can set up multiple versions of QuickBooks on your system at the same time. However, in the case of the QuickBooks Accountant edition, you are necessarily required to have a version for QuickBooks Enterprise and premier.