Learn how to move QuickBooks Desktop from old computer to a new computer:
Time to change the system? Hang on! What about your QuickBooks software? Well, changing your computer, simply means transferring QuickBooks to a new system. If it is the same situation that you are in, we are going to help you out. Often users find it sensible to change the system every few years. Some of the reasons behind this decision can be better configuration, faster speed, more space, and many more. In such a situation, users might find transferring QuickBooks accounting software to be a brain teaser. Once the users has installed a newer or the same version of QuickBooks on the new computer using the steps that are discussed later in this piece of information, they can transfer a backup of the old system’s company file. And continue to track the scheduled payments to vendors, the rent, and the record of all business income and expenses after the process completes.
Well, this article is written with an intent to provide the readers the with a better insight into the process of transferring QuickBooks to a new computer without hampering the data or creating any mess. Interested readers can stay glued to this piece of writing or can connect with our U.S. based accounting professionals today itself!
You might also see: Sync QuickBooks desktop files between two computers
What all it requires to transfer QuickBooks to a new system?
Transferring QuickBooks to a new system doesn’t require a huge list of things, it just demands a few basic things, which we have enlisted below. Let us explore together:
- You might have to register for the software after the installation and also ensure that the new system is connect to proper internet services.
- Uninstalling QuickBooks desktop from the old system is also required, but after creating a backup of the QuickBooks company files.
- Keeping the QuickBooks software installation disk or the setup file stored on an external device is also required.
- License and product registration details are another important thing that would be a must have for transferring the software.
- Users might also require an external storage device to store the QuickBooks desktop files.
- Users will have to have a USB flash drive with enough of the free space to hold QuickBooks files. And the tool will tell the users the free space required. It can be approximately 15 to 250 MB.
Steps to Move or reinstall QuickBooks Desktop to another computer
Following are the quick steps to move your QuickBooks and it’s data from old Computer to a new computer:
Use Migrator Tool to transfer QuickBooks desktop
If you requires to reinstall or move QuickBooks desktop to another system, then migrator tool would help or this can also be performed by carrying out manual process. The transfer process can be carried out into two parts, which we have elaborated later in this write-up. Before you head further, make sure to have access to the admin user, as the steps can be performed only using the admin credentials.
Important: To use the Migrator Tool, you’ll need to be the Company Admin.
Basics of Migrator tool (How the tool actually works?)
Before you jump onto the process directly, get familiar with the basics of the migrator tool. This is how the migrator tool works:
- Users might first have to create a complex password for unlocking everything that is copied to the new system. The password is used once and only by the migrator tool. Also, the user should make a note of the password to avoid losing it.
- Later, the tool will copy up to the last 3 company files opened to a USB flash drive.
- And the user will have to use the flash drive for moving the files, and rest of the technical work would be carried out by the migrator tool.
- The tool will then download the right version of QuickBooks desktop to the new system and will set it up with the files.
- Keep a note of the fact that the tool wouldn’t reformat the drive or erase of the other files.
Steps for setting up and using Migrator tool in QuickBooks
Now that you know the basics of migrator tool and other important facts, it is the right time to unleash the steps for setting up and using migrator tool in QuickBooks. The steps can be segregated in two parts, i.e. for the old computer and the new computer. Let us check out each of the steps one by one:
Step 1: On old computer
- To kick start the process, you need to first download and save the QuickBooks Migrator tools in USB flash drive. Moreover, one can easily download it from the official intuit website.
- Later, plug-in the USB drive to the old system.
- Open QuickBooks and head towards Files > Utilities > Move QuickBooks to another system and then pick the option stating “I’m Ready”.
- Further, QuickBooks will ask you for creating a complex password to secure the company files in the USB flash drive. Keep in mind that this is a one-time password and you would require this password when you plug-ins USB to the new system. You are strongly suggested to make a note of the password, to avoid any further hassle.
- Pay heed to the onscreen instructions, which will start the process of copying files.
- It might take time for this process to complete, which largely depends upon the size of the company files. The size of the company files usually falls between 150 to 250 MB.
Step 2: On new computer
- When inserting the USB drive, the migrator tool will not run on its own due to the windows security protocols and this is the reason that the users need to run it manually.
- To start with the migrator tool, the user is suggested to open the flash drive and look for Move_QuickBooks.bat file and then run it.
- Later, enter the one-time password that was created earlier and wait for the tool to complete the procedure.
The point that you should keep in mind is that the QuickBooks migrator tool file will be automatically deleted once the process is complete, but other data in USB will remain untouched. It is highly recommended to change the name of the files on the old system to avoid any mess.
- Furthermore, you need to head towards the help tab and click on Register QuickBooks.
- And also, enter all the necessary details like phone number, postal code, and license key for completing the registration.
Information that won’t move along with this process
There are certain information and data that the users might have to move manually. This information includes the following:
- You might have to uninstall Intuit data protect on the old system and then sign in it again in the new system.
- Also, the company files other than 3 most recently opened won’t get copied on its own.
- The QuickBooks payroll and payment service data will have to be moved manually by logging in to the new system.
- Multi-user setup information won’t get transferred on its own, and would have to be moved by the user to the new system.
- In case you have created a manual backup, then it would have to copied manually.
Manually transferring QuickBooks desktop to a new system
Users can manually move QuickBooks to a new system, and this would move most of the QuickBooks data at once. The steps involved in these processes are as follows:
Step 1: Creating backup of the company files and QuickBooks license
- Under this particular process, you are recommended to create a backup of company files and QuickBooks product license to the external storage device.
- Also you will have to install the latest or current QuickBooks version to the new system.
- Now download and restore the backup file to the new system.
- Once the data is successfully transferred, you can uninstall the QuickBooks.
Step 2: Restore backup of the company files on the new system
- Here, you are supposed to install QuickBooks on the new system.
- Later insert the storage device.
- Heading forward, you are suggested to open QuickBooks and navigate to the file menu and also choose the open and restore company option.
- Hit a click onto the restore a backup copy and hit next again.
- In order to restore the backup from the external device, you are suggested to click on the local backup option and also head towards the backup file that has been created in the old system.
- Now you will have to pick a location in the new system for saving the backup file and then lastly clicking on save tab.
Related Article: Install Multiple QuickBooks Desktop Versions on One Computer
You are good to go!
Have you implied all of the above stated steps in the right manner? Well, if yes, then you are good to go and start using your QuickBooks accounting software on the new system.
Whereas, if for some reason, you get stuck somewhere or in case any of your queries remained unanswered, then do not be hesitant in reaching out to our QuickBooks technical support team using our dedicated support line 1-800-761-1787. Our U.S. based CPA’s and accounting professionals, will ensure to answer all your queries ASAP!