Learn how to move your company data files from QuickBooks Online to QuickBooks Desktop:
Are you a QuickBooks user and looking for the method to convert QuickBooks online company file to desktop? Well, this is possible, but it might seem to be a difficult process to many users. The conversion process involves a lot of things, which might confuse the users. Thus, to clear the confusion, we have come up with an in-depth guide which will help you in converting the software with much ease. There can be multiple reasons why you want to switch from QuickBooks online to desktop, and sometimes it becomes necessary for you to switch from online to desktop. There are a lot of things that you will have to keep in mind, before converting QuickBooks online to desktop. All those points will be mentioned in the post later on, so make sure to continue reading this post.
Moreover, if you are a bit sceptical about carrying out the process on your own, then in that case you can ring up to our technical support team at 1-800-761-1787. Our team will ensure to provide you with the best possible QuickBooks support services round the clock and convert QuickBooks online files to desktop with much ease.
You might also like: How to Set Up chart of accounts in QuickBooks desktop?
Points to remember before carrying out the conversion steps
Before you convert QuickBooks online to desktop, there are certain points that you should take into consideration, a few of which are as follows:
- First thing that you should take into consideration is that the internet explorer version must be 10 or higher for conversion.
- And then the desktop software must be 2004 edition or the later one in case of windows, as converting to versions older than QuickBooks basic 2004 is not possible.
- Remind it your QuickBooks desktop must be compatible, and the internet explorer has to be 32 bit, As the 64 bit version will return an error and hinder the progress.
- In case you are having a non-US edition, then conversion is restricted to certain items-products, vendors, services, customers, etc.
- You also need an ActiveX to carry out the conversion and cannot perform the process.
- The direct conversion is not possible if you have the Mac version of QuickBooks desktop. As the process might differ.
- You should have access to at least an invited accountant account, if you are already a master or a company administrator.
Setting up security settings in the Internet Explorer
In order to set up internet explorer settings, so that the data can be imported or exported smoothly, you need to carry out the steps below:
- At first, you need to hit a right click on the Internet explorer icon and then select the Run as admin option.
- Followed by selecting the tools icon and then click on the internet options.
- Next step is to opt for security option and then click on the Internet options.
- Moving ahead, you will have to select sites.
- And, in the add this website to the zone field, you need to enter: *.intuit.com and *.qbo.intuit.com.
- Also ensure that the “Require server verification for all sites in this zone” is unchecked.
- Now close the trusted sites window.
- And then ensure that the enable protected mode is unchecked.
- Once done with that, choose the Apply option and then click on Okay.
- The final step in the process is to leave internet explorer open.
Steps to Export and convert your QuickBooks Online (QBO) data to QuickBooks Desktop
Following are the advanced steps in order to move your QuickBooks online file to QuickBooks desktop:
Step 1: Setting up security settings in Internet explorer
You can carry out the steps below to convert QuickBooks online to desktop.
- To begin with you are supposed to run the Internet explorer and then run QuickBooks desktop as Admin.
- Select the tools icon and also choose internet options.
- Followed by, choosing the security and trusted sites tab.
- Select the sites option.
- Enter the *.intuit.com *.qbo.intuit.com in the add this website to the zone field.
- Ensure to uncheck the require server verification for all the sites in this zone.
- Followed by closing the trusted sites window.
- You should ensure that the enable protected mode is un-checked.
- After that, you will have to close and re-open internet explorer for protected mode to be truly disabled.
- Once done with that select apply tab and also hit a click on OK tab.
- Lastly leave the internet explorer tab.
Step 2: Setting up QuickBooks desktop for Export
- For this, you are required to right click the QuickBooks desktop icon and also choose the run as admin.
- If the QuickBooks desktop is not installed, then it is recommended to download the trial version to use for this purpose.
- Ensure to move to the file and then select the close company option.
- Now leave QuickBooks desktop open at the time of completing the rest of the steps.
Step 3: Prepare to export QuickBooks online data
- First of all open the version of QuickBooks that the company file will be converted to. It should be noted that you are recommended not to go ahead of No company open window and also you should avoid opening a company file yet.
- Next, log in the QuickBooks online account.
- Now you will then required to select the gear icon and then under the tools tab select export data.
- After that select the reason from the pop up window and then click on continue.
- Under Moving to QuickBooks desktop, you will have to select the Learn more option.
- Choose learn more under the download company data.
- Review the export overview and then choose get started option.
- Select Install for ActiveX control and then choose Install ActiveX Control Now to confirm the installation.
- Choose continue after the installation comes to an end.
- Pick the data that you want to export and then select continue.
- Followed by reviewing the limitations of the data that will be exported, and then hit continue.
- Lastly, enter all the contact information and then select continue option.
Important: Note that you will receive an email with steps to end the export conversion within a few minutes to hours, which depends upon the amount of data that is being prepared. The receipt of the email will mean that the data has been complied and you will have to ready to move to the next step.
Read it Also: How to Fix QuickBooks Error QBW32.exe?
Step 4: Finishing exporting the data
To start in QuickBooks online, you will be required to repeat the steps, so as to get back to the export page.
- Navigate to the setting tab and then select export data in QuickBooks online.
- Repeat the steps and prepare to export the QuickBooks online data.
- Choose continue tab to download on the exporting from QBO page.
Now you need switch to QuickBooks desktop.
- Ensure that no company open screen and also if the company open, you are recommended to visit the file and select close company option.
- Select the preferred option and then choose continue option.
- Followed by clicking on Download option.
- Save the company file window, and you need to select a location to save the file.
- You will then see a pop-up window that ask where you would like to save the file and then select Convert now option.
- Opt for Yes, prompt each time in the application certificate.
- Go for continue and then select done.
- Pick finished and then run reports to confirm that the data is successfully converted.
Related article: How to Open a qbw file without QuickBooks?
So, this brings us to the end of this article, where we hope that the information, we have shared might work for you in converting QuickBooks online data file to desktop. However, if you are still unable to convert it or facing difficulty in exporting qbo files to desktop, then you might have to contact a professional, as experimenting with the process might lead to serious data loss.
Feel free to contact our QuickBooks enterprise customer support team using our dedicated support line i.e. 1-800-761-1787, and our experts will help you out with the entire process in the best possible way. Call us anytime and we will be happy to help you and clear all your clouds of confusion.
Few other helpful articles: