Learn how to move your company data files from QuickBooks Online to QuickBooks Desktop:
Are you a QuickBooks user and looking for the method to convert QuickBooks online company file to desktop? Well, this is possible, but it might seem to be a difficult process to many users. The conversion process involves a lot of things, which might confuse the users. Thus, to clear the confusion, we have come up with an in-depth guide which will help you in converting the software with much ease. There can be multiple reasons why you want to switch from QuickBooks online to desktop, and sometimes it becomes necessary for the user to switch from online to desktop. There are a lot of things that the user will have to keep in mind, before converting QuickBooks online to desktop. All those points will be mentioned in the post later on, so make sure to continue reading this post.
Moreover, if you are a bit sceptical about carrying out the process on your own, then in that case you can ring up to our technical support team via our toll-free number i.e. 1-800-761-1787. Our team will ensure to provide you with the best possible QuickBooks support services round the clock and convert QuickBooks online files to desktop with much ease.
You might also like: How to Set Up chart of accounts in QuickBooks desktop?
Points to remember before carrying out the conversion steps
Before the user converts QuickBooks online to desktop, there are certain points that the user should take into consideration, a few of which are as follows:
- The very first thing that the user should take into consideration is that the internet explorer version must be 10 or higher for conversion.
- And then, the desktop software must be 2004 edition or the later one in case of windows, as converting to versions older than QuickBooks basic 2004 is not possible.
- Also, the QuickBooks desktop must be compatible, and the internet explorer has to be 32 bit, As the 64 bit version will return an error and hinder the progress.
- In case you are having a non-US edition, then conversion is restricted to certain items-products, vendors, services, customers, etc.
- The user also needs an ActiveX to carry out the conversion and cannot perform the process.
- The direct conversion is not possible if you have the Mac version of QuickBooks desktop. As the process might differ.
- The user should have access to at least an invited accountant account, if you are already a master or a company administrator.
Setting up security settings in the Internet Explorer
In order to set up internet explorer settings, so that the data can be imported or exported smoothly, the user needs to carry out the steps below:
- The very first step is to right click the Internet explorer icon and then select the Run as admin option
- Followed by selecting the tools icon and then click on the internet options.
- The next step is to opt for security option and then click on the Internet options
- Moving ahead, the user will have to select sites
- And, in the add this website to the zone field, the user needs to enter: *.intuit.com and *.qbo.intuit.com
- Also ensure that the “Require server verification for all sites in this zone” is unchecked
- Now, close the trusted sites window
- And then ensure that the enable protected mode is unchecked
- Once done with that, choose the Apply option and then click on Okay.
- The last step in the process is to leave internet explorer open.
Steps to Export and convert your QuickBooks Online (QBO) data to QuickBooks Desktop
Step 1: Setting up security settings in Internet explorer
The user can carry out the steps below to convert QuickBooks online to desktop.
- To begin with the user is supposed to run the Internet explorer and then run QuickBooks desktop as Admin.
- After that, the user is supposed to select the tools icon and also choose internet options
- Followed by, choosing the security and trusted sites tab
- Now, select the sites option
- Enter the *.intuit.com *.qbo.intuit.com in the add this website to the zone field.
- The next step is to ensure to uncheck the require server verification for all the sites in this zone
- Followed by closing the trusted sites window
- The user should ensure that the enable protected mode is un-checked
- After that, he/she will have to close and re-open internet explorer for protected mode to be truly disabled.
- Once done with that select apply tab and also click on OK
- Lastly, leave the internet explorer tab
Step 2: Setting up QuickBooks desktop for Export
- For this, the user is required to right click the QuickBooks desktop icon and also choose the run as admin
- If the QuickBooks desktop is not installed, then it is recommended to download the trial version to use for this purpose
- In the next step, the user should ensure to move to the file and then select the close company option
- Now, leave QuickBooks desktop open at the time of completing the rest of the steps
Step 3: Prepare to export QuickBooks online data
- First of all, open the version of QuickBooks that the company file will be converted to. It should be noted that the user is recommended not to go ahead of No company open window and also he/she should avoid opening a company file yet.
- After that, log in the QuickBooks online account
- Now the user will then required to select the gear icon and then under the tools tab select export data.
- The user will then have to select the reason from the pop up window and then click on continue.
- After that, under Moving to QuickBooks desktop, the user will have to select the Learn more option.
- And then select learn more under the download company data.
- The next step is to review the export overview and then choose get started option.
- Once done with that, the user should select Install for ActiveX control and then select Install ActiveX Control Now to confirm the installation.
- And then select continue after the installation comes to an end.
- The user is then required to select the data that he/she wants to export and then select continue.
- Followed by reviewing the limitations of the data that will be exported, and then hit continue.
- The user is then supposed to enter all the contact information and then select continue option.
Important: Note that you will receive an email with steps to end the export conversion within a few minutes to hours, which depends upon the amount of data that is being prepared. The receipt of the email will mean that the data has been complied and the user will have to ready to move to the next step.
Read it Also: How to Resolve QuickBooks Error CC-501?
Step 4: Finishing exporting the data
- Now, repeat the above step and carry out the prompts till the time the user reaches the screen that shows the next step.
- And then select the preferred option and then choose continue option.
- Followed by clicking on Download option.
- The user will then see a pop-up window that ask the user where he/she would like to save the file and then select Convert now option.
- After that select Yes, prompt each time in the application certificate.
- And then select continue and then select done.
- The user will lastly have to select finished and then run reports to confirm that the data is successfully converted.
Related article: How to Open a qbw file without QuickBooks?
So, this brings us to the end of this article, where we hope that the information, we have shared might work for you in converting QuickBooks online data file to desktop. However, if you are still unable to convert it or facing difficulty in exporting qbo files to desktop, then you might have to contact a professional, as experimenting with the process might lead to serious data loss.
Thus, feel free to contact our QuickBooks enterprise customer support team via our toll-free number i.e. 1-800-761-1787, and our experts will help you out with the entire process in the best possible way. Call us anytime and we will be happy to help you and clear all your clouds of confusion.
Few other helpful articles: