Everything you need to know about the solution of QuickBooks Install Error Code 1904
QuickBooks is one of the most popular accounting software which is used by thousands of small and medium-sized organizations throughout the globe. The real reason behind its popularity is simply the fact that it is easy to use and offers a plethora of features while being a small package. Intuit, the company which offers updates for QuickBooks desktop is quite regular in terms of presenting fresh updates. But, with a high rate of frequent updates, the software sometimes gets error messages. One of the most common ones is the QuickBooks Error Code 1904 that usually occurs at the time of installing the software. If you are facing this error then don’t panic your accounting data and company files are in good condition.
So, in this article, we are going to talk about error 1904 in brief and we will talk about several methods to fix this error. Thus, this post demands full attention. However, in case of any query, feel free to call us at our toll-free number i.e. 1-888-291-2294. Our 24/7 QuickBooks error support team will fix the QuickBooks install error code 1904 for you in hardly any time.
You may also like: Resolve QuickBooks error code 1321 like a Pro
What is QuickBooks Error Code 1904?
This QuickBooks error code 1904 is one of the most common error messages that users come across. The reason behind this is simply because it occurs when you install the QuickBooks desktop on your system and the system gets unstable or any important file of the company is missing from the database. It is caused usually when a system is not maintained properly and the files get misplaced, hence, it causes the entire software to crash.
When this error occurs you may see the below given error message on your screen:
Error 1904: [file path / name / extension] failed to register,
This error can be a serious problem and we recommend it should be fixed by the user as soon as they see the symptoms.
Points to be considered
- The users should update windows on all system running QuickBooks in multi-user mode.
- Also, update QuickBooks on server and workstations, in case of QuickBooks multi-user.
- Run QuickBooks in admin mode
- The user should also refresh the internet and LAN connectivity
What are the symptoms of QuickBooks Error Code 1904?
Following are some of the symptoms that users might experience while they are using QuickBooks Desktop which is infected with QuickBooks Error code 1904:
- The updates on the system will not be available automatically
- Hard drive and other read-write devices will face issues with permissions and several other glitches
- Important company files will get missing from time to time
- The system will keep getting slower as the time passes
- You may see a repeated message about “Error 1904: [file path / name / extension] failed to register” on your screen.
Possible causes behind to the QuickBooks error code 1904
- Missing components of Microsoft OS
- Hard-drive read-write having problems
- You are using old or expired version of operating system
- Your installation source is creating problems to create a path
- QB installer file is damaged or is not working due to some reason
- Or the security software is not allowing installation of QuickBooks
- Upgrading QuickBooks version
- New operating system installed on the device
- The user do not have enough permissions for installing QuickBooks on Windows
Read this also: What to do when balance sheet goes out of balance in QuickBooks?
Best Methods to Fix QuickBooks Error Code 1904
As now we have already got a slight understanding as to what this error code actually is, let us have a look at some of the methods for fixing the QuickBooks error 1904. The methods which are mentioned further are to be followed in an orderly manner and hence should be attempted entirely without skipping. So, users should make sure that all the methods are followed in order to fix the error thoroughly.
Method #1: Running QuickBooks Diagnostic Tool from the QuickBooks Tool Hub
- For this, the users first need to download and install the QuickBooks Tool Hub file from the Intuit’s website
- Once the download is complete, save the software on the screen so that it can be easily found.
- Double click on the downloaded file and follow the on-screen instructions for a successful installation of QuickBooks Tool Hub
- Once done, go to the home screen where the new software’s icon is present and double click on it to start the program
- Now, in the Tools hub, look for the option of Installation issues and select it
- After that, in the next window, select the QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool. This will initiate the tool and the process will continue for about 20 minutes
- After the process is complete, simply reboot the computer and open QuickBooks Desktop
Method #2: Changing Windows Account Settings
Switch to the Windows Administrator account to change few settings.
- The very first step is to open the windows start menu
- And then, type in file explorer into the search and also open the file explorer
- After that, the user needs to look for the C:\Program Files\Common Files
- Followed by right clicking the Common files folder and then selecting the properties tab
- Also, navigate to the security tab and then choose edit option
- Moving ahead, the user needs to select users in the group or user names section
- After that, the user needs to turn on the following permissions in the permissions for users section: Modify, Read & execute, List folder contents, Read, Write.
- After that choose apply and hit OK button
Reinstalling QuickBooks and signing out
- The user needs to follow the steps, in case detailed instructions for installing QuickBooks desktop is required. It shouldn’t impact any existing company file data
- After that, open windows start menu and then sign out of the admin account
- The next step is to sign in the usual user account
- Also, open the windows start menu
- And also type CMD into the search bar. Right click the CMD run icon and then select run as admin
- And lastly, type net user admin/ active:no in the command window and hit enter. If the user is able to open QuickBooks with regular account, the error is expected to be fixed.
Related blog: How to resolve script error in quickbooks desktop?
Method #3: Manually Fixing Windows Components
The last step of fixing QuickBooks Error Code 1904 is to repair some specific Windows components from the system itself. This step should only be attempted only if the user is a confident windows user or have an IT professional’s assistance for the process. The two components that are required to be manually fixed are:
All a user has to do is either repair these two files or uninstall them and download the latest version for them. Once they are repaired, QuickBooks Error Code 1904 will be fixed completely.
Method #4: Adding QuickBooks to Bitdefender exclusion list
This method is only applicable, if you are using Bitdefender. The user can’t get rid of the error by simply disabling it. In such a case, the user will have to add QB to the exclusion list of the Bitdefender.
- For 32- bit Windows OS: Put C:\Program files\Common files in the exclusion list.
- For 64-bit Windows OS: Put C:\Program Files\Intuit (C:\Program Files(x86)\Intuit) in the exclusion list
This will fix the error, in case the error persists, make sure to move to the next method.
Method #5: Uninstall then re-install adobe flash player
- First of all, open the Start menu.
- After that, the user needs to type in Control Panel and open it
- The next step is to select uninstall a program.
- Followed by selecting Adobe Flash Player ActiveX from the list, along with that select uninstall
- Moving ahead, the user needs to carry out on screen instructions to uninstall.
- And lastly, download and reinstall Adobe flash player once again.
Method #6: Refer to the QBversionTool.dll
This method is applicable, when the error message refers to QBversionTool.dll file. The user is supposed to run QuickBooks install diagnostic tool and change the admin settings as mentioned above and then carry out the below steps:
Step 1: Test your permissions
- First of all, open Windows start menu.
- And then type in Notepad in the search field, and open it.
- The next step is to type in QBTEST in the note
- Followed by moving to the File menu and then selecting Save as. The user should save it to either “C:\Program Files\Common Files” or “C:\Program Files(x86)\Common Files“.
In case the user is unable to save the note to the folder, the he/she might be required to sign in and install QuickBooks as an admin.
Read Also: How to troubleshoot QuickBooks error 15215?
Step 2: Installing QuickBooks as Admin
- In this, the user first needs to open the Windows start menu and then select sign out option.
- The next step is to select the account that says admin and sign in. It should be noted the password shouldn’t be there.
- And then install QuickBooks as admin.
Additional Alternatives to fix QuickBooks install error 1904
- The users are recommended to hibernate antivirus or the security software in order to fix this error
- Or try to fine tune the internet bandwidth to download the installation source accurately and proper installation of the updates to prevent this issue
- Also, in multi-user setup shared updates option should be unchecked
We come to the end of this post, with the hope that the huge list of rectification methods listed above might help the user in fixing the error code 1904. In case, you face this issue even after following the aforesaid methods then contact our QuickBooks enterprise technical support team at 1-888-291-2294.
Our team of professionals works round the clock and offers quick and precise solutions of all your accounting related issues.
People also searched for: