Everything you need to know about the solution of QuickBooks Install Error Code 1904
QuickBooks, for over three decades, has been backbone of many small- and mid-sized companies. The reason behind its success is that it enables its users to access their data and work from anywhere and at any time. Furthermore, this software is uncomplicated and using it doesn’t need any professional training. But since like every other software it too isn’t completely free from errors and glitches, users can at times face some issues with it. While most issues can be fixed following the on-screen prompt or performing some troubleshooting steps, some require mediation of an expert. Today in this article, we are going to discuss QuickBooks Error Code 1904. This error appears while installing QuickBooks. It can be fixed by following the methods provided further in this post.
Along with explaining the methods to fix QuickBooks install error 1904 in easy-to-understand ways, we will also tell you what leads to this error and how you can identify it. In case you are unable to carry out the troubleshooting steps provided in this article on your own, you can also call our toll-free QuickBooks error support at 1-800-761-1787. We are available 24/7 and take the least possible time in providing proving solutions to any QuickBooks related issues.
You may also like: Resolve QuickBooks error code 1321 like a Pro
What is QuickBooks Error Code 1904?
You may have come across this error while installing a company file. Don’t worry, this error in most cases can be fixed and you don’t lose any data or anything because of it. Knowing the data you have in your systems and keeping them optimized is advised to keep from QuickBooks error code 1904 and various other similar issues. This error occurs when you install the QuickBooks desktop on your system and the system gets unstable or any important file of the company is missing from the database.
When this error occurs you may see the below given error message on your screen:
Error 1904: [file path / name / extension] failed to register,
This error can be a serious problem and we recommend it should be fixed by the users as soon as they see the symptoms.
Points to be considered
- The users should update windows on all system running QuickBooks in multi-user mode.
- Also, update QuickBooks on server and workstations, in case of QuickBooks multi-user.
- Run QuickBooks in admin mode.
- You should also refresh the internet and LAN connectivity.
What are the symptoms of QuickBooks Error Code 1904?
Following are some of the symptoms that users might experience while they are using QuickBooks Desktop which is infected with QuickBooks Error code 1904:
- The updates on the system will not be available automatically.
- Hard drive and other read-write devices will face issues with permissions and several other glitches.
- Important company files will get missing from time to time.
- The system will keep getting slower as the time passes.
- You may see a repeated message about “Error 1904: [file path / name / extension] failed to register” on your screen.
Possible causes behind to the QuickBooks error code 1904
The factors leading to QuickBooks error code 1904 are as follows:
- Missing components of Microsoft OS.
- Hard-drive read-write having problems.
- You are using old or expired version of operating system.
- Your installation source is creating problems to create a path.
- QB installer file is damaged or is not working due to some reason.
- Or the security software is not allowing installation of QuickBooks.
- Upgrading QuickBooks version.
- New operating system installed on the device.
- You do not have enough permissions for installing QuickBooks on Windows.
Read this also: What to do when balance sheet goes out of balance in QuickBooks?
Best Methods to Fix QuickBooks Error Code 1904
As now we have already got a slight understanding as to what this error code actually is, let us have a look at some of the methods for fixing the QuickBooks error 1904. The methods which are mentioned further are to be followed in an orderly manner and hence should be attempted entirely without skipping. So, users should make sure that all the methods are followed in order to fix the error thoroughly.
Method #1: Running QuickBooks Diagnostic Tool from the QuickBooks Tool Hub
- Download and install the QuickBooks Tool Hub file from the Intuit’s website.
- Once the download is complete, save the software on the desktop or any location where you can easily find it.
- Double click on the downloaded file and follow the on-screen instructions to successfully install the QuickBooks Tool Hub.
- Once done, go to the home screen where the new software’s icon is present and double click on it to start the program.
- Now, in the Tools hub, look for the option of Installation issues and select it.
- After that, in the next window, select the QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool. This will initiate the tool and the process will continue for about 20 minutes.
- After the process is complete, simply reboot the computer and open QuickBooks Desktop.
Method #2: Changing Windows Account Settings
Switch to the Windows Administrator account to change few settings.
- Click on Windows start button on the keyboard or the screen.
- And then, enter CMD into the search bar. When you see the CMD run (command prompt app) icon in the options list, right-click on it and click on run as admin.
- Followed by typing the “net user administrator/active:yes” in the command window and then click on enter tab. When the command is completed, quit the command window.
- Now, move to the Windows start menu and click on sign out.
- The last step is to move to the account that says administrator, and try to log in there. You might not require any password to sign in.
Changing the user permissions
- The very first step is to open the windows start menu.
- And then, type in file explorer into the search and also open the file explorer.
- After that, look for the C:\Program Files\Common Files.
- Followed by right clicking the Common files folder and then selecting the properties tab.
- Also, navigate to the security tab and then choose edit option.
- Moving ahead, select users in the group or user names section.
- After that, turn on the following permissions in the permissions for users section: Modify, Read & execute, List folder contents, Read, Write.
- After that choose apply and hit OK button.
Reinstalling QuickBooks and signing out
- You should follow these steps, in case detailed instructions for installing QuickBooks desktop is required. It shouldn’t impact any existing company file data.
- After that, open windows start menu and then sign out of the admin account.
- The next step is to sign in the usual user account.
- Also, open the windows start menu.
- And also type CMD into the search bar. Right click the CMD run icon and then select run as admin.
- And lastly, type net user admin/ active:no in the command window and hit enter. If you are able to open QuickBooks with regular account, the error is expected to be fixed.
Related blog: How to resolve script error in QuickBooks desktop?
Method #3: Manually Fixing Windows Components
The last step of fixing QuickBooks Error Code 1904 is to repair some specific Windows components from the system itself. This step should only be attempted only if you are a confident windows user or have an IT professional’s assistance for the process. The two components that are required to be manually fixed are:
All you have to do is either repair these two files or uninstall them and download the latest version for them. Once they are repaired, QuickBooks Error Code 1904 will be fixed completely.
Method #4: Adding QuickBooks to Bitdefender exclusion list
This method is only applicable, if you are using Bitdefender. You can’t get rid of the error by simply disabling it. In such a case, you will have to add QB to the exclusion list of the Bitdefender.
- For 32- bit Windows OS: Put C:\Program files\Common files in the exclusion list.
- For 64-bit Windows OS: Put C:\Program Files\Intuit (C:\Program Files(x86)\Intuit) in the exclusion list.
This will fix the error, in case the error persists, make sure to move to the next method.
Method #5: Uninstall then re-install adobe flash player
- First of all, open the Start menu.
- After that, type in Control Panel in the search box and open it.
- The next step is to select uninstall a program.
- Followed by selecting Adobe Flash Player ActiveX from the list, along with that select uninstall.
- Moving ahead, carry out on screen instructions to uninstall.
- And lastly, download and reinstall Adobe flash player once again.
Read Also: How to troubleshoot QuickBooks error 15215?
Method #6: Refer to the QBversionTool.dll
This method is applicable, when the error message refers to QBversionTool.dll file. You are supposed to run QuickBooks install diagnostic tool and change the admin settings as mentioned above and then carry out the below steps:
Step 1: Test your permissions
- First of all, open Windows start menu.
- And then type in Notepad in the search field, and open it.
- The next step is to type in QBTEST in the note
- Followed by moving to the File menu and then selecting Save as. You should save it to either “C:\Program Files\Common Files” or “C:\Program Files(x86)\Common Files“.
In case You are unable to save the note to the folder, the he/she might be required to sign in and install QuickBooks as an admin.
Step 2: Installing QuickBooks as Admin
- In this, you first need to open the Windows start menu and then select sign out option.
- The next step is to select the account that says admin and sign in. It should be noted the password shouldn’t be there.
- And then install QuickBooks as admin.
Additional Alternatives to fix QuickBooks install error 1904
- The users are recommended to hibernate antivirus or the security software in order to fix this error,
- Or try to fine tune the internet bandwidth to download the installation source accurately and proper installation of the updates to prevent this issue.
- Also, in multi-user setup shared updates option should be unchecked.
- In case you are working with the QuickBooks database server manager only, then in that case the solutions mentioned wouldn’t work and you would be needed to install the actual exe.
- This type of error can also be seen in Microsoft windows, when the installation is not set as run as admin.
- Also, before installing Avalara Avatax, you are supposed to ensure that the exe is installed on the server.
- Such an error can also be encountered, if you tries to install the connector on a server without QB.exe installed on it.
- You are then recommended to click on OK on the error and the installation must say that it was completed successfully.
- Navigate to the AvaTax configuration (File > AvaTax > Configuration).
- And then run the QuickBooks software as admin.
- And also choose the test connection option.
So above-mentioned are the methods to troubleshoot QuickBooks error code 1904. We hope you find this post helpful and it helps you get rid of the error you receive while installing the software or a company file. In case you have any more questions or you want help from our team of experts at 1-800-761-1787.
Our QuickBooks enterprise support team consists of certified technicians who are able to provide you with precise solutions of all your accounting related issues.
People also searched for: