Everything you need to know about Error code 1904 observed when Installing QuickBooks Desktop
QuickBooks, for over three decades, has been the backbone of many small- and mid-sized companies. The reason behind its success is that it enables its users to access their data and work from anywhere and at any time. Furthermore, this software is uncomplicated, and using it doesn’t require any professional training. But just like every other software, QuickBooks isn’t completely devoid of technical errors and glitches; users can, at times, face some issues with it. While most issues will get fixed by following the on-screen prompt or performing some troubleshooting steps, some require the mediation of an expert.
Here in this article, we will discuss about the QuickBooks Error Code 1904. This error appears while installing QuickBooks. It can rectify by following the methods provided further in this post. Along with explaining the methods to fix QuickBooks install error 1904 in easy-to-understand ways, we will also tell you what leads to this error and how you can identify it. In case you are unable to carry out the troubleshooting steps provided in this article on your own, you can also call our toll-free QuickBooks error support at 1-800-761-1787. We are available 24/7 and take the least possible time in providing proving solutions to any QuickBooks-related issues.
You may also like: Resolve QuickBooks error code 1321 like a Pro
What is QuickBooks Error Code 1904?
This error occurs when you install the QuickBooks desktop on your system and occurs primarily because some important file of the company is missing from the database. Beside striking your QuickBooks program, one ramification of this error is that the system gets unstable. . You may have encountered this error while trying to install a company file. To avoid Error 1904 when you install QuickBooks Desktop and other similar issues, it’s a good idea to know what data you have in your systems and get them optimized. When this error occurs, you may see the below-given error message on your screen:
|Intuit QuickBooks Installer||Error 1904: [file path / name / extension] failed to register,|
Error 1904 is a warning sign of more significant issues, and we recommend that users fix it as soon as they notice the symptoms.
Points to note:
To avert this QuickBooks error, users should take note of the following points.
- Users should update Windows on all systems that are running QuickBooks in multi-user mode.
- Also, update QuickBooks on server and workstations, in case of QuickBooks multi-user.
- Make sure that you run QuickBooks in admin mode.
- You should also refresh the internet and LAN connectivity.
What Are the Symptoms of QuickBooks Install Error Code 1904?
The following are some of the symptoms that users may encounter while using QuickBooks Desktop software facing the Error Code 1904:
- The updates on the system will not be available automatically.
- Hard drive and other read-write devices will face issues with permissions and several other glitches.
- Important company files will get missing from time to time.
- The system will keep getting slower as the time passes.
- You may see a repeated message about “Error 1904: [file path / name / extension] failed to register” on your screen.
Possible Causes Behind the QuickBooks Error 1904
The factors leading to QuickBooks error code 1904 are as follows:
- It happens because when your QuickBooks files are damaged all of a sudden. It may happen mainly because the QuickBooks file settings are inappropriate.
- Missing components of Microsoft OS or hard-drive read-write having problems
- You are using old or expired version of operating system.
- Your installation source is creating problems to create a path.
- The security software is not allowing installation of QuickBooks.
- New operating system installed on the device.
- You do not have enough permissions for installing QuickBooks on Windows.
- At times, the QuickBooks Error 1904 possibly occurs because of having various unique problems and so, you could find note messages stating particular files or folders like dll, qbupdate.exe, and many others. This happens mainly because of the file or the folder that may have distorted the MS Visual C++.
- When the operating system is updated from one edition to other versions, the error appears because you have not restarted the system once updated.
- There may be glitches with your computer’s hard drive, due to which the hard drive isn’t able to read or write files.
Read this also: What to do when balance sheet goes out of balance in QuickBooks?
Effective Roundabouts to Fix QuickBooks Error Code 1904
As now we have already got a slight understanding as to what this error code actually is, let us have a look at some of the roundabouts for fixing the QuickBooks error 1904. Follow the below-listed methods in a sequential order without missing out on any step. So, lets proceed..!
Fix 1: Adding QuickBooks to Bitdefender exclusion list
This method is only applicable, if you are using Bitdefender. You can’t get rid of the error by simply disabling it. In such a case, you will have to add QB to the exclusion list of the Bitdefender.
- For 32- bit Windows OS: Put C:\Program files\Common files in the exclusion list.
- For 64-bit Windows OS: Put C:\Program Files\Intuit (C:\Program Files(x86)\Intuit) in the exclusion list.
This will fix the error, in case the error persists, make sure to move to the next method.
Fix 2: Use QuickBooks diagnostic tool from the tools hub program
Another fix for this error involves using the various integral features of the QuickBooks Tool hub, including the QuickBooks Diagnostic Tool. The steps given below will aid you through the process of using the Diagnostic tool for diagnosing error 1904 and getting it resolved from your QuickBooks Desktop copy.
Step 1: Firstly, download and install the QuickBooks tools Hub
- Download and install the QuickBooks Tool Hub file from the Intuit’s website.
- Once the download is complete, save the software on the desktop or any location where you can easily find it.
- Double-click on the downloaded file and follow the on-screen instructions to successfully install the QuickBooks Tool Hub.
- Once done, go to the home screen where the new software’s icon is present and double-click on it to start the program.
Step 2: Now, run the QuickBooks install diagnostic tool
- Now, in the Tools hub, look for the option of Installation issues and select it.
- After that, in the next window, select the QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool. This will initiate the tool and the process will continue for about 20 minutes.
- After the process is complete, simply reboot the computer and open QuickBooks Desktop.
Fix 3: Change Windows Account Settings
Switch to the Windows Administrator account to change a few settings.
- To start off, initially click on the Windows start button on the keyboard or the bottom left corner of the screen.
- And then, enter CMD into the search bar. When you see the CMD run (command prompt app) icon in the options list, right-click on it and click on Run as admin.
- Followed by typing the “net user administrator/active:yes” in the command window and then clicking on Enter tab. Subsequently, quit the command window.
- Now, move to the Windows start menu and click on Sign out.
- The last step is to move to the Account that is labeled as the administrator and try to log in there. You might not require a password to sign in.
Moving to a built-in Admin account
- You need to press Ctrl + Alt + Delete keys and opt for switch user Windows 8 users.
- Hit the Windows tab and go for the user icon on the upper right of the display.
- Hit Ctrl + Alt + Delete keys at a time and go for the Default admin account icon.
Reinstalling QuickBooks and signing out
- You should follow these steps, in case detailed instructions for installing QuickBooks desktop is required. It shouldn’t impact any existing company file data.
- After that, open Windows start menu and then sign out of the Admin account.
- The next step is to sign in the usual user account.
- Also, open the Windows start menu.
- And also, type CMD into the search bar. Right click the CMD run icon and then select Run as admin.
- And lastly, type Net user admin/ active:no in the command window and hit Enter key. If you are able to open QuickBooks with regular account, the error is expected to be fixed.
Changing the user permissions
- The very first step is to open the Windows start menu.
- And then, type in file explorer into the search and also open the File explorer.
- After that, look for the C:\Program Files\Common Files.
- Followed by right-clicking the Common files folder and then selecting the Properties tab.
- Also, navigate to the Security tab and then choose Edit option.
- Moving ahead, select Users in the group or User names section.
- After that, turn on the following permissions in the permissions for users section: Modify, Read & execute, List folder contents, Read, Write.
- After that, choose Apply and hit the OK button.
Go for QuickBooks installation.
- You need to install QuickBooks desktop again.
- After installing QuickBooks accounting software, switch to the original user log in.
Fix 4: Manually Fix Damaged Windows Components
The last step of fixing QuickBooks Error message 1904 is to repair some specific Windows components from the system itself. This step should only be attempted only if you are a confident Windows user or have an IT professional’s assistance for the process. The two components that are required to be manually fixed are:
The.NET Framework and MSXML are Windows components needed for QuickBooks installation. If these components are damaged, you most likely won’t be able to install the application.
Step 1: Repair the .NET Framework.
Using the “Control panel,” you may resolve any problems with your Microsoft.NET framework. From the list of installed programs, choose “.Net Framework,” then visit the “Programs and Features” page to fix it.
Step 2: Register the MSXML.dll
For 64 Bit OS
- After clicking “start,” type “CMD” into the “search” box.
- After that, right-click the “CMD” icon to bring up the context menu, and choose “Run as Administrator.”
- When the Command Prompt window opens, type “Cmd” to get to the C: root directory.
- After that, press the keyboard shortcut “CD windows/ syswow64 /”. When you’ve located the syswow64, type “regsvr32 MSXML6.dll” and press “Enter” once again.
- Finally, retry installing QuickBooks to determine if the issue persists.
For 32 Bit OS
- To open the Run command window, press Win+R keys at the same time, followed by the Enter key.
- Press the “Enter” key to add “cmd” to the text box.
- Enter “regsvr32 MSXML6.dll” and press Enter to proceed.
- After fixing the Windows components, try the next method for fixing errors if error 1904 still exists.
All you have to do is either repair these two files or uninstall them and download the latest version for them. Once they are repaired, QuickBooks Error Code 1904 will be fixed completely.
Read Also: How to troubleshoot QuickBooks error 15215?
Fix 5: Refer to the QBversionTool.dll
This method is applicable when the error message refers to the QBversionTool.dll file. You are supposed to run QuickBooks install diagnostic tool and change the admin settings as mentioned above and then carry out the below steps:
Step 1: Test your permissions
- First of all, open the Windows start menu.
- And then, type in Notepad in the search field, and open it.
- The next step is to type in QBTEST in the note.
- Followed by moving to the File menu and then selecting Save as. You should save it to either “C:\Program Files\Common Files” or “C:\Program Files(x86)\Common Files“.
In case You are unable to save the note to the folder, the he/she might be required to sign in and install QuickBooks as an admin.
Step 2: Installing QuickBooks as Admin
The next step demands the installation of QuickBooks as an administrator.
- In this, you first need to open the Windows start menu and then select Sign out option.
- The next step is to select the Account that says Admin and sign in. It should be noted the password shouldn’t be there.
- And then install QuickBooks as admin.
Fix 6: Uninstall then re-install adobe flash player
Reinstallation of the adobe flash player application can also get this error fixed in QuickBooks. Proceed as follows:
- First of all, open the Start menu.
- After that, type in Control Panel in the search box and open it.
- The next step is to select Uninstall a program.
- Followed by selecting Adobe Flash Player ActiveX from the list; along with that, select the option to Uninstall.
- Moving ahead, carry out on-screen instructions to uninstall.
- And lastly, download and reinstall Adobe flash player once again.
Fix 7: Update the Windows O/S
The QuickBooks Error Code 1904 on your system can be sorted out by updating the operating system. There are several advantages to updating to the most recent version, including the newly developed tools and functions to remove any problems and technical quirks in your PC. Therefore, updating the O/S is crucial.
For Windows 10
Steps to be followed by Windows 10 users for updating are as follows:
- Click on the Windows start button.
- Go to ‘Update and security‘ next.
- Next, select the ‘Update and Security‘ tab and then select the ‘Windows Update‘ option.
- Hit “Check for Updates” to start the update procedure.
- If there is a new update, it will restore all choices.
- Select all the pertinent and crucial updates, then click “Update” to begin downloading them.
- Once the updates have been downloaded, restart the computer.
- Launch QuickBooks after the upgrades have been installed successfully to see if the Error Code 1904 has been fixed.
For Windows 8.1
Users who have Windows 8.1 O/S set up should perform the below-given set of steps:
- Hover the mouse over the word “Settings” in the top right corner of the Windows screen.
- After that, select the option to “Change PC settings.”
- After that, click on “Update & Recovery” and then select “Windows Update.”
- Then select the “Check now” link.
- If the update was downloaded successfully, you must select ‘View details‘ to proceed.
- In the ‘List of updates,’ you may see a number of update options along with their download sizes.
- After the installation is complete, restart your computer. Then, log into QuickBooks to determine if the error is still a problem.
Additional Alternatives to Fix QuickBooks Installation Error 1904 (Failed to Register)
There are various additional alternatives as well for warding off Error 1904 in QuickBooks. These include:
- The users are recommended to hibernate antivirus or the security software in order to fix this error,
- Try to fine-tune the internet bandwidth to download the installation source accurately and proper installation of the updates to prevent this issue.
- Also, in a multi-user setup shared updates option should be unchecked.
Keeping an eye on the below-given guidelines will ease any technical hindrances experienced while performing the troubleshooting fixes.
- In case you are working with the QuickBooks database server manager only, then in that case, the solutions mentioned wouldn’t work, and you would be needed to install the actual exe.
- This type of error can also be seen in Microsoft Windows, when the installation is not set as Run as admin.
- Also, before installing Avalara Avatax, you are supposed to ensure that the exe is installed on the server.
- Such an error can also be encountered, if you try to install the connector on a server without QB.exe installed on it.
- You are then recommended to click on OK on the error, and the installation must say that it was completed successfully.
- Navigate to the AvaTax configuration (File > AvaTax > Configuration).
- And then run the QuickBooks software as admin.
- And also, choose the Test connection option.
So above-mentioned are the methods to troubleshoot QuickBooks error install code 1904. We hope you find this post helpful, and our proadvisors team expects that the contents of this post help you eliminate this error received while installing the software or a company file.
In case you have any more questions, or you want help from our team of experts at 1-800-761-1787. Our QuickBooks enterprise support team consists of certified technicians who are able to provide you with precise solutions to all your accounting-related issues.
People also searched for: