Here is how you can fix connection to QuickBooks company file is lost issue:
Are you greeted by a pop-up message stating as “The connection to the company file has been lost. QuickBooks must close immediately. Any unsaved data will need to be re-entered” and don’t know how to deal with it? Well, there can be numerous underlying reasons causing connection issues. These errors can often appear abruptly and impede the entire process of working with the company files. This error could be caused by a difficulty accessing the company file. Also, This error could be caused by a difficulty accessing the company file. Or if the internal network card of a system is set to go into the sleep mode after a specified time, then it might lead to the lost connection issue. In this post, we are going to discuss in detail the causes and fixes to this annoying error.
At the time when you are trying to access the company file you may see the following error message on your screen:
|Connection Has Been Lost|
|The connection to the company file has been lost. QuickBooks must close immediately. Any unsaved data will need to be re-entered.|
So, make sure that you keep reading this article until the end . Or if you are in search of a QuickBooks expert or a team who can assist you in the process of getting rid of this error, then here we are. Give us a call at 1-800-761-1787 and our QuickBooks enterprise support team will be there at your rescue.
You may also read: Troubleshooting steps for QuickBooks error 1935
Brief into Error message: Connection Has Been Lost in QuickBooks Desktop
The error name itself indicates what this error is about. It is basically an error that appears when the software loses the connection to the company file. This might end up the software might be forced to close immediately. Moreover, if the data is unsaved, then it might not be recovered and you might have to re-enter it. This indicates that the software won’t be able to access the company file or a particular section of the company file. This issue is similar to Abort error, where the software is unable to change or proceed to the company file in the mid of the process. This can also damage the QBWUSER.INI file. There can be various factors causing this issue, which will be discussed later in this article. So, make sure to read further!
What Causes Error: Connection Has Been Lost in QuickBooks?
You may face Error message: Connection Has Been Lost in following situations:
- This error can be caused if the company file is stored on another system or on a portable drive and connection the storage device was disrupted.
- Another factor causing the issue can be if the power management settings in Windows activated the sleep or hibernation mode on the system having the company file.
- You can also face this issue if more than one system on a network is configured to host the QuickBooks company file.
- In case the systems in a multi-user installation are running different versions of QuickBooks.
- If the data in the company file gets damaged somehow.
If you use a standalone system
There can be a couple of factors causing this issue, out of which we have enlisted some of the common ones below:
- Any antivirus blocking the QuickBooks desktop
- If the QuickBooks company file got corrupted
- You might also face certain issue if the folder where the company file is saved requires some additional permission.
Signs and Symptoms of connection lost error in QuickBooks
In order to identify the error, the below signs and symptoms would work:
- In case the QuickBooks software shows the error while opening or is shutting down often with unrecoverable QuickBooks error, then this error is probable to happen.
- If the system is being shut down frequently without receiving any error message.
- Or you witnesses the software getting terminated from Windows 8.
- If the software suddenly stops working and an error message pops up on the screen.
- Another sign can be if the system is randomly crashing.
Quick steps to perform before the troubleshooting
Before you jump on to the detailed procedures to get rid of the QuickBooks connection lost issue, here we have a few of the quick tips that could help you to get rid of the error with ease:
- You can restart the database server manager
- Moving the file to a different folder
- Setting power saving option to never
In case you are making use of just one computer, then you can carry out the below steps:
- The folder where the company file is stored, might require additional permission.
- Any 3rd party software like antivirus might contradict with QuickBooks accounting software.
- In case the QuickBooks company file itself is corrupt.
Read Also: Fix error 401 in QuickBooks Desktop
Methods to fix the connection has been lost error in QuickBooks
You can try a few methods to fix the QuickBooks connection has been lost error. For best results, you should follow the order in which the solutions are presented. Let’s take a closer look at each method:
Method 1: Restarting your system and QuickBooks desktop
Many times, a mere reboot can work in resolving the issue. So, before implementing huge and tedious solutions, we would recommend you to start with restarting the software and check if the error rectifies with this simple process.
Method 2: Running the quick fix my program and file doctor tool from the QuickBooks tools hub
The QuickBooks tool hub is a great tool in fixing various QuickBooks related errors. In order to make use of this tool, you will have to turn off the QB software. The steps involved in this process are as follows:
Step 1: Downloading and installing QuickBooks tools hub
- First of all, close QuickBooks.
- And then download the QuickBooks tool hub program (most recent version (220.127.116.11). It is supposed to save the file where it can be accessed without any issue.
- Next, open the file downloaded (QuickBooksToolHub.exe) in the above step.
- And then carry out the on-screen prompts and complete the installation process. Also, make sure to agree to the terms and conditions.
- After the install finishes, ensure to double click the icon on the Windows desktop to open the tool hub.
In case you are unable to spot the icon, browsing for the same can be a quick fix to it.
Step 2: Start the Quick Fix My Program from the Tools hub program
- Open tool hub program and navigate to Program Problems tab.
- Now choose Quick Fix my Program opt. It will take 1 minute approx. to fix the program and issue.
Step 3: Run QuickBooks file doctor from QuickBooks Tools hub
Now that you have downloaded the QuickBooks tool hub, you can easily access the QuickBooks file doctor tool:
- You need to run the QuickBooks file doctor tool from the tool hub program.
- And then view the results.
- In case no issue is spotted, then file is OK. If the error persists, then verify the company data file and rebuild it, if required.
For the ones whose company file is stored on a portable drive, the below steps are applicable:
The company file should be stores on the local drive, and working on the company file till the time it is sitting in a portable drive, such as a flash drive is not recommended. You can proceed with the steps knowing the risk:
Checking the portable drive
- It is supposed to ensure that the portable drive is connected. Or you can make an attempt to:
- Disconnect and reconnect it
- Spotting the QuickBooks company file on the removable drive from My computer
- Or saving other files to the drive to ensure that it continues to work
- You are also required to ensure that the drive has plenty of available space. The drive should have at least the space equals to the size of the company file.
In case the system is connected to a network and the data file stored on another system:
- The network connection might be unstable
- Folder having the file is saved might need additional permission
- Firewall is preventing the access over the network
- Power saving mode is turned on
The network can be broken in several ways:
- You might have seen a Windows error or similar problem on the system
- The server or the host might have a similar issue
- Or there might some issue in the connection of the systems
Method 3: Checking the network
It should be noted that the wireless networking is not supported by QuickBooks and is not reliable for information like the company file:
- Open or save another file on the server to ensure that have the necessary access.
- Create and delete Microsoft excel or WordPad file on that system.
- In case you are unable to create and delete a non-QuickBooks file in that folder. You need to set up Windows access permissions required for QuickBooks.
Another point that you should note is that if the network isn’t working or if you are uncomfortable carrying out the steps, then consulting a professional is recommended.
Method 4: Disabling the power management settings on the server
Another method if to disable the power management settings on the server. The steps involved in this process are as follows:
- On the system where the company file is stored, open the power management settings in the Windows control panel.
- Press Windows key.
- And then type power options, and then select the Power options from the results.
- You need to turn off all sleep, standby, and hibernation modes on the host system. Also, you may refer to Windows help and support for any further information about power options.
Read this also: Fix QuickBooks Validation code issues
Method 5: Fixing the hosting on all systems
Hosting system tasks:
- Ensure that the QuickBooks database server manager is installed on the host system.
- Press Windows key and type QuickBooks. In case the QuickBooks or database server manager doesn’t appear in the list, it means the program is not installed. You need to install, update and set up the QuickBooks database server manager.
- Setting hosting settings.
In case the QuickBooks is installed on the host system, the steps below should be followed:
- At first open your QuickBooks.
- And then select file and utilities option.
- In case you finds the stop hosting multi-user access in the menu, then hosting is enabled, and you can proceed to the next step.
- In case the host multi-user access is seen, then select it to enable hosting on this system and then move to the steps ahead.
If QuickBooks is installed on the host system:
- For this, double click the QuickBooks database server manager icon in the Windows system tray. (You need to select Start > all programs > QuickBooks > QuickBooks database server manager)
- After that, hit a click on database server tab.
- Also, you need to verify that the company file is visible in the window below currently connected company files and logged in users. In case it is not, then you need to click the scan folders tab and then click on help for the information about adding the company file.
- Lastly, close the database server manager window.
Method 6: Removing and re-creating the .nd file
You need to scan the folder where the company file is situated to create the network descriptor file. The .nd file stores information about the system that is hosting the file. The steps involved in this process are as follows:
- Firstly, press Windows key and then type QuickBooks database server manager.
- And then choose the QuickBooks database server manager and then hit a click on the add folder option and spot the folders storing the company files.
- Next step is to click on scan after the folders are added.
- Now the data files appear under QuickBooks company file and then hit close.
- To end the process, browse to the folders containing the company files and make sure that the file .band was created for each company data file.
The point too be noted here is that if you are unable to spot the database server manager in the programs list, then it is recommended to uninstall QuickBooks and reinstall selecting the second option.
- You need to ensure that the hosting is turned off
- For this, open QuickBooks desktop.
- And then select file and utilities tab.
- If the stop hosting multi-user access appears, then select it to disable hosting on the system.
- In case of host multi-user access appears in the menu, the hosting is already disabled and move ahead.
- After that, open the company file using a UNC path.
UNC (Uniform Naming Convention) is basically a common syntax Windows uses to describe the location of a network resource.
An example of a UNC path is \\Computer Name\Shared Folder\. Computer Name in this example would be the name of the server where the company file is hosted.
You can open the company using the UNC path by carrying out the below steps:
- Firstly open QuickBooks desktop.
- And then choose file and open or restore company.
- Next step is to choose open a company file and then click on next.
- After that hit a click on my network places.
- And then double click entire network and navigate to the location on the server.
- And lastly, choose the company file and hit open.
It is recommended to ensure that you are connected to the network using wired connection configure firewall and then add QuickBooks firewall ports set up folder permissions to share the company files.
In this post, we have tried to cover all the aspects related to the QuickBooks connection has been lost error. Carrying out any of the methods that we have discussed above might be of great help in getting rid of this annoying error.
However, if any information is missed out or if any of your queries remained unanswered, then feel free to contact our industries best accounting professionals via our dedicated helpline 1-800-761-1787. You can ask all our doubts to our QuickBooks error support team anytime 24X7X365.
More helpful articles to read: