Acquire the methods to install multiple QuickBooks desktop versions and editions on one PC:
Are you planning for Installing multiple versions and editions of QuickBooks desktop on one computer? If yes, then don’t worry as this process doesn’t involve any technical complexity and can be easily performed by adhering to this article. In case you’ve been using QuickBooks for a while, or you are an accountant who handles multiple clients, then you might use a newer or older version of QuickBooks desktop. You have the leverage of installing multiple editions and versions of QuickBooks Desktop on the same system. All it takes is a few specific steps to install each of the editions one at a time.
In case you are willing to move or reinstall QuickBooks to a different system, we will demonstrate to you how to use the migrator tool. Just read this entire blog to find out further details related to the same. You can simplify the process by connecting with our accounting professionals at 1-800-761-1787 and letting them do the rest. Our experts will make the entire process a mere cakewalk.
You may also read: Fixing QuickBooks error code 6150, 1006 while opening company file
Some Noteworthy Terminologies
|Version:||Basically, a version is the numeric notation of the product’s release. (For Example: QuickBooks desktop 2018 and QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise 18.0)|
|Region:||A region refers to a specific location, such United States, Canada, and the United Kingdom|
|Edition:||The term edition refers to the set of features included in a product. Examples of this include: Pro, Premier, and Enterprise|
|Flavor:||Flavor infers an industry-specific set of sub-features of a product. (For Example: Contractor, Non-Profit, and retail.)|
Important points to consider:
There are a few imperative points that you should consider before proceeding with the process to install multiple QuickBooks Desktop versions :
- Users can work in multiple versions of QuickBooks desktop at the same time. In case they are working in Premier 2019, QuickBooks users can also open Premier 2018. It should be noted the same version of Premier and Enterprise can be used if you use the accountant edition.
- Also, the same version of the QuickBooks Desktop Pro or Premier and Enterprise can be installed.
- Another important point to remember is that users can only install a single industry-specific edition of QuickBooks desktop for each version. This indicates that you can have either the QuickBooks desktop premier 2018 retail or premier 2018 contractor, but not both of them.
It should be noted that QuickBooks desktop accountant is an industry-specific edition. If you are an accountant, ensure that you use the accountant edition of QuickBooks desktop to switch to any other industry-specific editions.
- QuickBooks users can’t mix and match different regional versions and editions of QuickBooks desktop. In case they need multiple regions on the same system, it is recommended to use a virtual machine or a web hosting service to create an environment for each region.
- Also, users can’t easily share their data or company files between QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise and Pro or Premier. They can also not share the data between different versions of QuickBooks.
It is important to note that if you open a company file in a newer version or higher edition of QuickBooks, then it automatically upgrades the company file to the most recent version or highest edition. Once you go for upgrades, you will no longer be able to access the company file in the original version or edition.
Having visited the pertinent points for your consideration, let us now head towards the easy steps to install multiple QuickBooks Desktop versions. The subsequent section requires your utmost attention and careful implementation.
Easy Steps to Install Multiple QuickBooks Desktop Versions on One System
This section entails the specific and easy-to-follow steps to install multiple QuickBooks desktop versions on a single computer. The steps include the following:
- Initially, you are required to download the version or edition. Having downloaded the version from the aforementioned link, you need to save the file at a convenient location like the Windows Desktop.
- After that, open the downloaded QuickBooks.exe file by double-clicking on it. This shall initiate the installation process.
- During the installation process, you are required to follow the on-screen instructions. Herein, in the installation type, you need to opt for Custom and network options. It is recommended that you avoid selecting the Express option.
- Make sure that you choose the Custom or network options. In case you plan to operate QuickBooks only on the system, without sharing the files over the network, you are recommended to opt for I’ll be using QuickBooks desktop on this system. However, if you are setting up a multi-user network, and then choose either I’ll be using…..And or I will NOT be using depending on the setup.
- Once you install multiple versions or editions, QuickBooks asks if you want to replace what’s currently on the system. It is recommended to avoid replacing anything unless you want to replace something. In order to avoid overwriting the data, you need to create Unique install folders for each version and edition. When you get to the upgrade or change the installation location window, then you are recommended to opt to change the Install location.
- Now, you are recommended to choose to Browse. And hit a right-click on the Window and create a New folder. Also, avoid opting for the Existing QuickBooks folder or any folders that have QuickBooks info.
Note: It is recommended to put the version and edition in the folder name.
- You should then follow the rest of the onscreen instructions to finish the installation process.
You need to repeat the steps for each version and edition of QuickBooks to be installed. Also, ensure to install them in their own unique folder.
Update QuickBooks Desktop to the Latest Version
Once you install the QuickBooks desktop, it is advisable to go for updates to get the latest release. The process is quite easy to implement and goes in the following order:
- Initially, access your QuickBooks software. Herein, you need to move to the Help menu.
- Within the help menu, choose Update QuickBooks desktop and also follow the on-screen instructions.
- You can also Schedule automatic updates, so you do not have to do that manually.
It should be noted that in case you have multiple editions for the same version, then QuickBooks desktop might not run updates automatically. In order to get the most recent updates, updating each version manually is highly recommended. Also, you can download updates for specific editions.
The process to install multiple QuickBooks Desktop on one system doesn’t involve any technical proficiency, and our certified experts expect that after going through the above-enumerated guidelines, you might have been successfully able to carry out the task. We have made sure to encapsulate all the relevant information you need regarding the topic.
In case of any difficulty or if any of your questions or suggestions, you can simply contact our QuickBooks enterprise technical support team by means of our dedicated support line i.e. 1-800-761-1787. Our U.S based team of accounting professionals will guide you through the process and make sure that you accomplish the task without any hassle.
FAQ’s related how to install multiple QuickBooks desktop versions
No! You cannot run multiple versions of QuickBooks Desktop simultaneously on the same computer. Each version needs to be opened and used separately.
No! Each version of QuickBooks Desktop requires a separate license or product key. You will need to acquire a valid license for each version you want to install.
Yes! You can access company files across different versions of QuickBooks Desktop. However, it is pertinent to note that once a company file is opened and converted to a newer version, it may not be compatible with older versions.