Few simple methods to repair the error code 6000, 816 in QuickBooks:
When it comes to QuickBooks 6000 series error, one of the most reported errors by the users is QuickBooks error 6000, 816. This error code generally appears when the QuickBooks desktop users are unable to open the company file. The error message “QuickBooks was unable to open the company file because the file is in use” or “Unable to open a company file” might hinder the smooth working of the software. If you are also facing any such error, then this article can be a time savior for you. We have tried to focus on the causes and quick fixes to error code 6000, 816 with the help of this post. So, make sure to continue reading this article carefully.
Also, you can get in touch with our experts at our dedicated support line i.e., 1-800-761-1787 this would save a lot of your time and efforts, as our team of QuickBooks error support experts and accounting professionals are always ready to fix the error for you. Just ring up, and get your error resolved.
Read this also: Ways to resolve QuickBooks error 12029
What actually is QuickBooks error code 6000, 816?
Well, 6000 series error have been one of the most annoying and time consuming for us to tackle with. Moreover, when it comes to QuickBooks error code 6000, 816, it can be seen when you try to open the company file or when you are unable to open the same. The error message appears saying the software is unable to open the company file. There can be multiple causes behind the occurrence of this error code, which we will be discussing further in this article. The steps to resolve the error are also mentioned later, so keep reading!
What leads to QuickBooks error code -6000, -816?
There can be multiple possible causes to QuickBooks error code 6000, 816, you can check out a few of the common ones below:
- You can encounter this error, in case when the company file is damaged.
- Or, if the company file with the .qbw extension is used by any of the third party backup software.
- You can also encounter QuickBooks error code 6000, 816, while restoring or opening a company file on a system running vista.
- In case a company file is placed in a Microsoft window home server edition with numerous hard disks that are not maintained.
- Also, if there is any sort of damage with the QuickBooks installation, you might encounter this error code.
Fixation methods to QuickBooks error code 6000, 816
Now that you know how this error is caused and also what all facts are associated with it, its time now to find out how this error can be tackled. The ways to resolve the error are largely influenced by the causes. However, before jumping on to the methods listed below, it is recommended to first download and install QuickBooks file doctor tool. This tool might resolve the issue in some cases, but if the error persists, you can simply move ahead with the processes to fix the issue. Let us check out each of the methods one by one:
Method 1: Restoring the backup with the help of Auto Data Recovery (ADR)
When it comes to any sort of error related to company files, Auto data recovery is one of the methods that one can opt for. So, you can simply recover the lost data and restore the backup by using the QuickBooks auto data recovery, as this would help in getting rid of error code 6000, 816.
See Also: Learn how to install QuickBooks desktop
Method 2: Copying the backup company files of QuickBooks on the desktop
In case the above method failed, you can opt for the steps below:
- Firstly, open the folder having the company file.
- And then, you can look for the file with the extension.
- Moving ahead, you will have to right click and then click on the copy option.
- Next, paste it on the desktop.
- Followed by holding the control key and open QuickBooks, in order to open the no company window.
- Now, you will have to click on open and then restore existing company.
- After that open the copied file on the desktop.
- And you are good to go.
Method 3: Open up a sample company file
You can open a sample company file, in order to fix the QuickBooks error 6000, 816. This is a two-step process, which are as follows:
- To begin with, you are required to move to the no company file, and then select the open sample file, followed by selecting from the sample company files.
- You can move to another method, if the sample company file opens. In case it is not opening, you will have to repair the QuickBooks installation files.
Method 4: Change the names of .ND and .TLG files
- Firstly you need to open the folder containing the company file.
- And then spot the files with the same name as the company file and with the .ND and .TLG extension.
- Next, hit a right click on the file and then click on Rename. The next step is to type .OLD at the end of file name.
- Lastly, open your QuickBooks and then login to the company file. In case it doesn’t fix the error, the other methods can be tried.
Method 5: Restoring the previous backup of QuickBooks
Now that you have opted for the above methods and failed to fix the error, then you can try fixing the error by restoring the backup of the file. This will basically help you in finding whether the issue is with the current company file or not.
Method 6: Closing all QuickBooks Processes
- The very first step is to log in as the admin on the server system.
- And then, press the Ctrl + Shift+Esc keys to bring up the task manager.
- After that, show processes for all the users selecting the users tab.
- Followed by highlighting each QuickBooks process (QBW32.EXE, qbupdate.exe, and QBDBMgr.exe), and then choose End task.
- Now open the company file in the multi-user mode.
- And at the end of the process, check if the error is resolved.
Method 7: Running the QuickBooks database server manager from the tools hub
The database server manager is used to host the QuickBooks company files. It is best to restart the DBSM and also rescan the QuickBooks files after the files are renamed. From QuickBooks tool hub, you need to run the QuickBooks database server manager.
- First of all, download the latest version of QuickBooks tool hub program in your system and save it.
- After that install and run the program on your server computer.
- Now hit a click on tool hub icon to run this tool.
- Next, you need to navigate to the network issues tab.
- And then, choose the QuickBooks database server manager.
- You will be asked to install QuickBooks desktop on the server, if it isn’t already installed.
- After that select the start scan, inside the database server manager, if you see the company files. In case you are unable to see the company files, browse to the location of the company file and then select the start scan option.
- And lastly, open QuickBooks again and then try to sign in the company file.
Method 8: Updating QuickBooks desktop to latest release
Many times, an outdated QuickBooks version might also lead to such an error. So, it is recommended that you should keep the QuickBooks software up to date. The steps to be followed in this process are:
- You are required to move to help menu and then choose update QuickBooks desktop.
- After that, you need to move to the update now tab. And it is recommended to select the reset update checkbox to clear all previous update downloads.
- The next step is to select the get updates tab to start with the download process.
- Now, you are supposed to restart QuickBooks after the download completes.
- The last step is to accept the option to install the new release, when asked to.
See this also: How to fix Error 6189, 816 in QuickBooks?
Get Instant help by experts!
So, with this we come to the end of this post, and also, we hope that the information and methods we have shared above, might help in getting rid of QuickBooks error 6000, 816. However, if all the above methods failed and the error is still troubling you, then do not hesitate in calling our QuickBooks enterprise support team.
Our support team will help you with the most effective and relevant methods to get rid of the error in hardly anytime. Thus, feel free to reach us by dialing helpline i.e., 1-800-761-1787, and let our experts fix these errors for you.
Few other articles you may like: