QuickBooks users may face diversified issues when updating the program or while opening the company file(s). One such error belonging to the PSXXX series of error codes is Error PS033. This error is encountered in case the CPS folder gets damaged file. The following error message is generally observed – “QuickBooks cannot read your payroll setup files [Error PS033].” In the current discussion, we shall venture into the different causes and troubleshooting methods to fix QuickBooks Error PS033.
What causes QuickBooks Error Code PS033?
Some of the noteworthy causes behind this QuickBooks error PS033 are listed below:
- The error is generally caused due to a corrupted file in the CPS folder.
- The previous QuickBooks installation was done partially.
- Expired or Inactive Payroll Subscription could lead to this error.
- Damaged or corrupt QuickBooks Desktop software or QuickBooks Desktop .ini file
- The data related to QuickBooks may be damaged.
- Providing Incorrect Service Key could incite Error PS033
- Incorrectly configured Internet Explorer settings.
- Providing an incorrect Employer Identification Number (EIN)
- The current version of QuickBooks or updates associated with it may not be compatible with the Operating system set up on the system.
Some Common signs of QuickBooks Error PS033
Few major signs that show up upon the advent of this error are:
- The error message appears stating “QuickBooks can’t read your payroll setup files. [Error PS033]”.
- User is unable to download or install updates for QuickBooks payroll.
- The error message appears while opening the company files.
You can read also: Fix QuickBooks found an error when parsing the provided XML text stream
Tested Troubleshooting Fixes for QuickBooks Error PS033
In order to fix QuickBooks Error Code PS033, you can try the following solutions:
Fix 1: Setting up Latest payroll tax table
The first practical solution to resolve this error is to install the latest payroll tax table in QuickBooks. The steps for the same are:
- Run QuickBooks and go to the Employees tab.
- Subsequent to that, click on Get Payroll Updates.
- Make sure to Download the entire payroll update.
- Finally, click on the Update option.
Fix 2: Rename the Q.B. CPS folder
Users should consider changing the file name of the QuickBooks CPS folder by performing the steps given as under:
- Head to the location “Drive:\Program Files\Intuit\QuickBooks 20QQ\ Components\Payroll\CPS”
- After that, right-click the CPS folder and click on Rename.
- Change to file name to “CPSOLD”.
- Now, perform the same action which previously led to Payroll Error PS033.
Fix 3: Disable UAC
User Account Control may be contributing to this QuickBooks Error. As such, it is advised that users disable UAC. The steps for disabling UAC are:
- Visit the Control Panel from the Start menu.
- Head to the User Accounts tab.
- After that, click on Change User Account Control Settings.
- Hit on Never Notify.
- Now, click on Ok in order to Disable the User Account Control.
Fix 4: Use the safe mode to fix the error
Another effective measure to sort out the issue is by accessing the safe mode and then make an attempt to troubleshoot QuickBooks Error PS033.
- Restart the computer and keep tapping the F8 key repeatedly. If this action does not open the Advanced Boot Options, then open the system normally and click on Start button.
- Type msconfig to open Windows Configuration Window.
- Herein, choose Selective Startup and Load Services and hit the Enter key.
- Now, restart the system and the F8 key multiple times.
- Choose safe mode with networking.
- Hit the Enter key soon after.
- When the Desktop shows up, try to update QuickBooks Desktop manually from the website of Intuit.
- Also, make sure to update QuickBooks Tax Tables.
Fix 5: Configure FCS
The steps to configure QuickBooks File Copy Service are:
- Make an exit from all the open Windows of QuickBooks Desktop.
- Hit on the Start menu.
- Choose My PC and then advance to the Manage option.
- Opt for Applications.
- Click on Services.
- Double-tap on Intuit QuickBooks FCS.
- Go to the General tab.
- Now, click on the Startup type.
- Choose Manual.
- Hit on Apply.
- Hit on start and then click on Ok.
Fix 6: Update Windows
Users should also update their Windows to make sure that the error is not caused by some system related issue. The procedure to update Windows is as under:
- From Start menu, search for “Update” to open the Windows update window.
- Tap on Check for updates.
- Mark the updates then download them
- Once done, restart the PC and let these updates get installed.
We hope the contents of this article helped readers in fixing QuickBooks Error PS033. If you are facing any other technical issues while updating QuickBooks Payroll, just give our QuickBooks error support experts a call at 1-800-761-1787.
Check them also: