Learn easy approaches to troubleshoot the QuickBooks Error Code 404 (Page not found)
The recurrence of diverse forms of errors while accessing different functionalities of QuickBooks Desktop is a common phenomenon. While each error code has negative implications, they originate from different sources. Likewise, their methods of rectification are also distinct. Within this article, we shall be covering various aspects of QuickBooks error code 404, and by the end of this walkthrough, users will be acquainted with the multiple causes, signs, and symptoms and different troubleshooting measures for fixing this annoying error. QuickBooks error code 404 is typically observed when QuickBooks fails to sync with Intuit servers. This issue might be due to various reasons, including corrupted Database or installation files.
This piece of writing will provide a descriptive overview of QuickBooks Error 404 and will make sure that the troubleshooting methods subsumed herein are enough to nullify this technical aberration in QuickBooks. If there arises a situation where you find yourself surrounded by a web of technical difficulties, then in that scenario, we encourage you to get in immediate contact with our QuickBooks error support team by calling us at the helpline at 1-800-761-1787. Our support services are online 24/7, and you will be cordially received by our certified expert, who will guide you through the entire troubleshooting process.
You may also like: How to Resolve QuickBooks error code 6144, 304?
An illustrative description of QuickBooks error code 404
A thorough overview of QuickBooks update error 404 unfolds that this error usually occurs when installing QuickBooks desktop. Although the primary reason behind this error is the inability of QuickBooks to sync with Intuit, it can also be noticed after an inappropriate shutdown of Windows. Furthermore, this QuickBooks error belongs to a large group of run-time errors. Such kinds of error messages typically show up as follows “QuickBooks error 404 pages not found” or “QuickBooks update error 404” or “QuickBooks runtime error 404”.
QuickBooks Error 404 appears in specific Operating systems
QuickBooks error code 404 appears in the below listed Microsoft Windows operating systems.
|Windows 2000||Windows ME||MS Windows 8|
|MS Windows XP||Windows 10||Windows Vista|
|Windows 7||Windows 11|
What are the primary causes of QuickBooks error code 404?
This annoying error may occur due to one or more conspicuous causes enlisted below:
- An incomplete installation, program change, or software update, causing corruption of QuickBooks-related files, may contribute to Error Code 404 in QuickBooks.
- The intrusion of viruses or malware can cause irreparable damage to Windows files and QuickBooks-related files. Such data damage may instigate this error.
- If the Windows registry gets corrupted, error 404 may pop up.
- Misconfiguration in the system settings can also lead to this technical issue in QuickBooks.
- Poor internet connectivity can be another reason.
- Uncurbed system junk and accumulation of temporary files may also contribute to this error.
Signs and symptoms of QuickBooks error code 404
The major signs and symptoms observed along with QuickBooks error 404 are as follows:
- The web page that you are trying to access won’t be spotted on the server.
- The error code 404 warning message manifests itself on the screen.
- You can identify QuickBooks 404 page not found if the page has been removed or moved but the URL is unchanged.
- Windows runs extremely slowly and sluggishly. As such, any inputs take significant time to process and reflect on the display screen.
- Various system operations get affected.
- QuickBooks application experiences sudden shutdown and the windows interface freezes recurrently.
Diversified Approaches to troubleshoot QuickBooks update error 404
QuickBooks 404 error belongs to the category of run-time errors and can be resolved by carrying out the below-mentioned measures. This section contains a detailed walkthrough of various methods that can help users fix QuickBooks update error code 404.
Approach 1: Reconfiguring system settings
The first approach to troubleshooting this error is to reconfigure the system settings. The steps involved in this process are as follows:
- To begin with, open the QuickBooks software.
- Access the company files after opening QuickBooks.
- Proceed to the process where the error was last observed.
- Afterward, log out from the company file by picking close QuickBooks.
- The next step is to update the Windows and reboot the system.
- Along with that, navigate to internet explorer and, thereafter, opt for the tools menu.
- Within Tools, opt for the internet options.
- Moving ahead, hit on the advanced tab and browse in the settings pane.
- Now, close all the programs and then save the information.
- Next, press the Windows and R keys together. Within the Run command box, type the MSConfig command and then hit the OK key.
- Once done with that, choose general in the system configuration window.
- And then, navigate to the startup selection and also choose the selective startup option.
- After that, hit on the OK button.
- And to end the process, reboot the system.
Approach 2: Verifying the internet speed
If the first method doesn’t work out, verify the internet speed. This can be done by carrying out the steps below:
- For this, move to internet explorer and open some websites.
- If you spot any issue while opening the URL, try to refresh the internet setting and try again.
- If the message still appears stating “Page can’t be displayed,” then, in that case, restart the wireless router and afterward open the URL again.
- The next step is to reboot the system and try again.
- Upon restarting, set internet explorer as the default browser.
- Towards the end of the process, if the issue persists, then contact your internet service provider.
Read this Also: Methods to Fix QuickBooks Error Code 80029c4a: Can’t Load DLL
Approach 3: Changing the internet settings
- In this method, users are required to navigate to internet explorer and then opt for tools and internet options.
- After that, tap on the security tab and navigate to the trusted sites.
- Now add *.intuit.com and *.quickbooks.com as trusted sites.
- Followed by selecting close and also hitting the Ok tab.
- After that, log out from the company file and close QuickBooks.
- Lastly, reopen QuickBooks and open the company file.
Approach 4: Update QuickBooks and(or) Repair QuickBooks
In case the foregoing methods prove futile, then update and repair QuickBooks. The steps to be implemented in this method are described as follows:
4.1: How to update QuickBooks Desktop?
- Open QuickBooks and navigate to the help menu.
- After that, pick the option to update QuickBooks desktop. Proceed ahead with the update process.
- Once the QuickBooks update is complete, restart QuickBooks and get these updates installed on the system.
- After updating the accounting software, launch it and open the company file. Start performing usual accounting tasks and double-check to see if you are no longer troubled by QuickBooks 404 error.
- In case the issue continues, then move ahead with repairing QuickBooks:
4.2: How to Repair QuickBooks Desktop?
- First, press the Windows + R keys.
- In the Run command, type Appwiz.cpl in the box.
- Now, choose the QuickBooks software from the installed programs list and hit the repair button.
- Check if the error code 404 got resolved or not.
Approach 5: Removal of system junk and temporary files
The computer system frequently gets overburdened by outsized junk, cookies, cache, and temporary files. It is recommended that users remove these unwanted files from their systems at regular intervals, as they can lead to different errors in the Operating system and in QuickBooks.
To delete the cache and cookies, just open the browser and then move to settings. Herein, clear the browsing data, along with the cache and cookies. Simultaneously, remove the temporary files as well. The same can be removed manually by typing %temp% in the Run box to open the folder containing all the temporary files. After that, select all the files and hit the Delete button on the keyboard. Ignore the files that won’t delete and then restart QuickBooks once again to check for the efficacy of this troubleshooting method.
Approach 6: Scan the PC for viruses
As already explained in the earlier section, this Quickbooks error can also be caused due to virus intrusion. As a remedial measure, users should go for a complete system scan for any virus, and subsequently delete/quarantine the files infected by any viruses.
Time to conclude the walkthrough!
In the above article, we attempted to summarize the various methods for troubleshooting of QuickBooks error code 404. We also expect that after reading the article thoroughly, you might be able to resolve the error successfully. However, getting in touch with a team of professionals is recommended if you have any questions or need technical assistance.
You can directly ring us at our QuickBooks enterprise support number, i.e., 1-800-761-1787, and our ProAdvisors will ensure that all your queries get addressed immediately without any hassle.