Here is how you can fix Error 1638: Another version of this product is already installed in QuickBooks desktop:
QuickBooks is an innovative accounting and bookkeeping software but like any other computer software it too has it’s limitations. Various categories of errors show up on user’s screens and refrain them from completing their tasks. In this article we will discuss an installation error in QuickBooks Error 1638. Users receive the following error message when this error occurs:
|Error 1638:||“Another version of this product is already installed.”|
If you too have received this error, you can perform the troubleshooting steps provided further in this article to fix it and resume your work.
What Causes of QuickBooks Installation Error Code 1638?
One or more of the following situations may be the cause of QuickBooks Error 1638:
- QuickBooks desktop Installation guidelines aren’t appropriately followed.
- One QuickBooks Desktop program is already installed on your computer.
- The program’s installation source is damaged.
- Windows Firewall settings are blocking QuickBooks Installation.
- Virus or other infection is causing the issue.
Read Also: How to Fix QuickBooks Won’t Accept Product Number During Installation Error?
Solution Steps for Fixing QuickBooks Install Error 1638
Now that you know about the possible causes of this error, let’s look at the solutions.
Step 1: Locate your QuickBooks version
- Press Windows and R keys simultaneously on your keyboard to open the Run command.
- In the search box, type Control Panel and press OK.
- Click on Programs and then on Programs and Features.
- Next, if you see QuickBooks in the lists, double click on it.
- Wait for the program to open.
Step 2: Open QuickBooks program
- Click on Start button on the keyboard.
- Select All Programs and then click QuickBooks.
- Select the correct QuickBooks version.
If you still receive QuickBooks error code 1638, then you will have to repair QuickBooks desktop.
Read Also How to Update and Use the New Built-in Browser for QuickBooks Desktop?
Step 3: Repair QuickBooks desktop
Perform the following steps in the sequence as provided below:
- Download the QuickBooks Tool Hub.
- Close QuickBooks and all the other Windows related to it.
- Download the latest version of the QuickBooks Tool Hub and save it on your desktop (or any convenient location)
- Open the downloaded file (QuickBooksToolHub.exe) and follow the on-screen prompts to install it.
- Accept the terms and conditions and wait for the installation to complete.
- Go to the location where you have stored the Tool Hub and double-click on its icon to open the tool hub.
Run Quick Fix my program
- Open the QuickBooks Tool Hub and select Program Problems.
- Next, choose Quick Fix my Program.
- Open QuickBooks Desktop.
If repairing QuickBooks Desktop doesn’t fix this installation error, move on to the next step.
Step 4: Clean install of QuickBooks Desktop
Uninstall QuickBooks program
- Login to your computer with admin rights.
- Press the Windows Start button on the keyboard.
- Type “Control Panel” in the search box and press Enter key.
- Select Programs and Features or Uninstall a Program under the Control Panel window.
- Next, choose your version of QuickBooks from the list of programs.
- Lastly you need to select Uninstall and then click on Next tab.
Reinstall QuickBooks program
- Find and open the file QuickBooks.exe
- Follow the onscreen prompts.
- Accept the software license agreement and click on Next tab.
- Enter your Product and License numbers.
- Select Next.
Also see: Fix QuickBooks Runtime Library Errors & MS Visual C++ Errors
We hope that you find this article helpful in successfully fixing the QuickBooks Error 1638: Another version of this product is already installed. If you have any queries or you need any further assistance, contact our round-the-clock QuickBooks error support team of certified technicians.
Set up and install a multi-user network for QuickBooks Desktop
How to Fix Webmail Password Issues in QuickBooks Desktop?
How to Fix QuickBooks Unable to Add Item to List Error?