Encountered error 401 in QuickBooks desktop and unable to come to any conclusion? Well, we can definitely help you with this. This error is basically about an unauthorized request in QuickBooks desktop, and can be easily fixed. You can come across such an error while:
- Signing in to the company file or accountant toolbox.
- Or while registering during the QuickBooks installation.
- Such an error can also be faced while sending an invoice with QuickBooks payments.
This error code usually comes up with an error message stating “The remote server returned an error: 401 unauthorized. Request is unauthorized”.
This error code can be easily handled by a couple steps, which we have discussed later in this article. So, we would recommend you read this article carefully till the end and implement the process discussed below.
You may also see: How to Customize reports in QuickBooks Desktop for Mac?
Quick fixes to the QuickBooks error code 401
There are not much of the solutions to this QuickBooks error code 401. Once the error appears on the screen with the error message, you are simply required to carry out the steps below:
- At first, opt for No and close the error message window.
- And then update the QuickBooks software to the latest version.
Steps to update the QuickBooks software to the latest version
There can be a handful of options to update the QuickBooks software. Let us have a look:
Step 1: Setting up automatic updates
In order to update QuickBooks to the latest version, you can opt for setting up automatic updates. The automatic updates option saves a lot of time and ensures timely update. The steps involved in this process are:
- This can be done moving to the help menu and selecting update QuickBooks desktop.
- Move to the update now tab. It is recommended to select the reset update checkbox and clear all the previous update downloads.
- You will then have to choose get updates to start the download.
- After the download ends make sure to restart the software.
- The last step is to accept the option to install the new release.
Step 2: Scheduling for future automatic updates
Another option that one can opt for is to schedule updates. This means that you can schedule QuickBooks updates according to their comfort and the software will get updated automatically. The steps to be followed for this are:
- Move to the help menu and opt for the update QuickBooks desktop.
- Navigate to the options tab.
- Now, select yes to turn on automatic updates. It is recommended to share automatic downloads to other systems on the network, you can select yes for each system.
- And then, click on close.
Read this Also: How to Fix QuickBooks Error Code H505?
Step 3: Manual update process
In case you are not comfortable with automatic updates and want to update the software manually, then below steps would be helpful for you:
- You can simply close the company file and QuickBooks.
- And then open the Windows start menu.
- Once done with that, look for QuickBooks desktop. And also, right click the icon and choose run as admin.
- You will then have to move to the help menu while on the no company open screen and then click on update QuickBooks desktop.
- The next step is to move to the options tab and then choose mark all and then select save.
- Now, navigate to the update now tab and also choose the reset update checkbox.
- After done with that, select get updates.
It is believed that updating the QuickBooks software by following any of the above methods, would definitely work in fixing the QuickBooks 401 error. You can implement any of the three above mentioned steps to update the QuickBooks accounting software to the latest release.
To wrap it up!
We conclude the article over here, with the hope that the issue is no longer troubling you. But if you still face the same error, then you can consult our QuickBooks error support team for technical assistance. Ring up to us at +1-800-761-1787, and we will help you with the error to be tackled easily.
Topics you may like: