Several users of QuickBooks, when installing their copy of the accounting program, have been facing a multitude of errors while entering the product key. While the most obvious reason for this issue is typing an incorrect product key, there can be various other reasons, too, due to which QuickBooks won’t accept product numbers during installation. Through this article, we envisage that this issue shall be rooted out of your system once you follow all the troubleshooting instructions contained in this article.
If you feel insecure and skeptical about proceeding with the walkthrough all by yourself, you may leverage assistance from our accounting experts.
Why QuickBooks Won’t Accept Product Number During Installation?
The various factors that may lead to this error are listed below:
- Entering an incorrect product key will lead to this error.
- Admin privileges may be disabled, or you may not have logged into the system as an admin.
- An incorrect system date and time may be another potential cause of this error.
- Your system may not be meeting the minimum prerequisites to run the QuickBooks program.
Measures to Take When QuickBooks Won’t Accept Product Number During Installation
You can perform various troubleshooting procedures listed below in order to fix this technical issue related to the product number.
Fix 1: Enter the Correct Product Number
The most obvious and common reason behind this QuickBooks error is when the user has entered the wrong product/license key. In this scenario, it is recommended to double-check the license key and make sure to turn off the Caps Lock keyboard key while typing the license number. If you are entering the correct product key and yet the error ceases to vanish, then proceed to the next fix.
Fix 2: Check and Alter The System Date and Time To The Present
You should look at the screen’s bottom-right corner and check the system date and time. If they are correct, then jump to the next troubleshooting approach. However, if they show a deviation from the current date and time, then follow the instructions given below:
- In the beginning, Hover the mouse over the date/time (bottom-right corner of the taskbar) and then right-click the date.
- You then need to choose the option to Adjust the date/time.
- In the Date and Time window that opens, choose the correct Time zone and also change the date and time to the current one.
- After making the necessary alterations, hit on Apply, and then click on Ok.
- Now, make an attempt to activate QuickBooks by running the accounting program and then clicking on the Help menu.
- Herein, hit on the option that pertains to activating QuickBooks Desktop.
- Again enter the correct license key and try proceeding ahead by hitting on Next. If the error still exists, make a move to the next step.
Fix 3: Creating A User with Admin Rights
If QuickBooks doesn’t still accept product number during installation, then you should make a new user possessing the admin privileges. The guidelines regarding the process are enumerated below:
- Click on the Start menu.
- Now, advance to settings and then move to Accounts.
- Within Accounts, you need to choose Family and other users.
- Herein, opt for adding another user.
- Now, choose the option to Add an account.
- Make sure to checkmark the box beside the addition of a user without a Microsoft Account. You should also select the option that confirms that you don’t have this user’s login information.
- When that is done, type the username and the password.
- Finally, hit on Next.
- Now, restart the PC and choose this newly created account by logging into it.
- Now, try installing QuickBooks and activating the same by typing in the correct license key.
- The issue should be resolved. If not, shift to the subsequent fix.
Fix 4: Running QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool
This issue can also appear if specific issues occur with the installation files. To fix the same, users can take the aid of QuickBooks install diagnostic tool.
- The inceptive step requires downloading the QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool from Intuit.
- After that, get the tool installed on your system.
- Once the installation is complete, open the tool and use it to diagnose and fix any installation issues in QuickBooks.
- Once the process reaches its completion, get your system restarted.
- Now, open QuickBooks and again try to activate the program by hitting on the Help menu and then choosing the option to activate QuickBooks.
Fix 5: Clean Install QuickBooks
If none of the foregoing fixes solve the issue, then you should clean install QuickBooks by performing the below-given instructions. You can also use QuickBooks Clean install tool to get the procedure accomplished quickly without any manual effort. All you need to do is download the QuickBooks Install tool from intuit website and then use the tool to clean install QuickBooks. The other alternative is the manual procedure given as under:
- To start, advance to the Control panel and then to the Programs and Features.
- Opt for QuickBooks and then click on Uninstall option
- Now, head to the directory wherein you had previously installed QuickBooks and then rename the QuickBooks folder.
- The last step is to Reinstall QuickBooks.
- Once all is done, restart the PC and then run QuickBooks.
- Click on the Help menu.
- Choose the option to Activate QuickBooks Desktop.
- Type in the correct license key again and hit on Next.
- Finish off the activation process to get your hands on all the newly rolled-out features of QuickBooks Desktop.
In this article, we have tried to enumerate the various causes due to which QuickBooks won’t accept product number during installation. Subsequently, we elaborately unraveled the various troubleshooting fixes for this error. If you stumble upon any hindrance while performing the troubleshooting steps, you may call our 24X7 QuickBooks enterprise support experts at 1-800-761-1787. Our support team is always available for your help.
More helpful topics: