Learn how to resolve the QuickBooks company file error code 6143:
Are you stumped by QuickBooks error code 6143 and are unable to find an apt resolution to fix it? Well, there is no need to be concerned as this article will brief you on the various factors inciting this error code. Generally, this error shows up due to some malfunction in the company files. It can also be triggered due to corrupted system files or incomplete/damaged QuickBooks installation. This can also be caused due to deleted or corrupted entries in the Windows registry. This error is accompanied by an error message and crashes the open Windows screen. It is critical that we correct the issue in a timely manner in order to ensure that all the QuickBooks activities are accomplished smoothly and successfully.
To delve deeper into the QuickBooks error code 6143, its causes, and fixes, make sure that you read this post with utmost observance till its conclusion. You can also discuss your queries with our Technical expert team. Our team will leave no stone unturned to provide you with prompt and unmatched technical assistance.
Factors causing the QuickBooks error code 6143
You may end up across the QuickBooks error code 6143 due to any of the following factors:
- In case there are corrupted entries within the Windows system files.
- Incomplete QuickBooks desktop installation.
- You may end up with this error when a message pops up on the screen stating “Sorry! Something went wrong! Please try starting over“.
- When you acquire a new credit card or account number, the bank may decide to link your QuickBooks and bank accounts together.
You might also read: Fix QuickBooks Error 6073, -99001 (Unable to open this company file)
Latest methods for Troubleshooting QuickBooks Error Code 6143
The QuickBooks error code 6143 can be resolved easily, by carrying out the methods enumerated in this article. Let us navigate across each of the methods one by one:
Method 1: Opening a sample company file locally installed on a workstation
The first method requires opening a sample company file installed locally on the workstation. Opening the sample company file helps in verifying whether the issue is associated with the company file. In case the sample company file doesn’t open and rather displays the error message, it is a sign of the QuickBooks installation being damaged. The steps to be followed are as follows:
- In the inception, select Open a sample file in the No company open window.
- Afterward, select from the list of Sample company files.
- In case the sample file opens, you need to open the file locally. On the contrary, if the sample file shows the same error message, then in that case, repairing the QuickBooks installation becomes indispensable.
Method 2: Configuring antivirus software and firewall ports
In case the antivirus and firewall programs block access to specific QuickBooks programs or files, then you might encounter the QuickBooks Error message 6143. You can also try to configure the firewall ports and setup an exception for the QuickBooks program.
Method 3: Terminate all QuickBooks processes
Another viable method to resolve Error code 6143 in QuickBooks is to close all QuickBooks-related processes. The steps to be followed in this method are as follows:
- Initially, you need to log in as the administrator.
- Subsequently, press the Ctrl + shift + esc keys which will display the task manager.
- Now, choose the users tab to Show processes for all users.
- Close all the QuickBooks-related tasks by clicking on the End task option.
Method 4: Open the company file locally
Opening the company file locally, allows you to inspect if there is an issue with the location of the company file. If the file opens while it is saved on the desktop, it directly reflects that the location is probably damaged. If the file doesn’t open up even after changing the location, there is a possibility that the file is damaged.
The procedure to be implemented to open the company file locally is elaborated as follows:
- At first, Open the folder having the company file.
- And then Search for the file that has Extension of QB.
- Once you locate the File, proceed by right-clicking on the file.
- Afterward, choose Copy and move to the desktop.
- Now, right-click and select Paste while pressing the Control key.
- Once you have successfully copied the file to the desktop, Open your QuickBooks.
- Proceeding ahead, you need to Move to the no company open window.
- And also, choose Open or restore an existing company.
- Finally, close all QuickBooks processes.
Read Also: How to Mend QuickBooks Backup Error 2277?
Method 5: Rename the .ND and .TLG files
In some cases, renaming the damaged .ND and .TLG files may resolve the QB error code 6143. By renaming the files, you prevent QuickBooks from accessing these files. As a resort, QuickBooks creates the afresh once you re-open QuickBooks software the very next time. To rename the files, follow the procedure mentioned below:
- Access the directory containing your company files.
- Select the File with the .ND and .TLG extension.
- Right-click on them and choose Rename.
- Add ‘.old’ towards the end of the files and hit ‘Enter‘ key.
- Restart the computer and check if the error code 6143 shows up again.
Method 6: Clearing space within the File name of the company file
The last effective measure to obliterate this QuickBooks error involves the deletion of the clear spaces included within the file name of the company file. For that, users need to navigate to the QuickBooks destination folder. The simple steps are as follows:
- Make right-click on the Desktop icon of QuickBooks, followed by opting for the Properties option. (If the QuickBooks icon is not available on the Desktop, then, in that case, access the same via the Start menu, and then move to Properties).
- Once the user is in Properties, click on Open File Location. This move will directly take users to the QuickBooks folder. Look for the Company files folder within this folder and open the same.
- The subsequent step demands right-clicking on the company file and then hitting the option to Rename that file.
- Now, make sure that there exist no spaces in the file name of the Company file. Soon after, click on the screen to reflect the changes made to the file name.
- Now, once again, open QuickBooks and double-check if the technical issue has been resolved once and for all.
By now, you must be well versed with the QuickBooks error code 6143 (Can’t back up company file) and its quick fixes. However, if the error continues to trouble you or if you faced any difficulty then call our experts at 1-800-761-1787, and our QuickBooks error support team of professionals and certified ProAdvisors will ensure to provide you with immediate technical assistance. Our support services are available round the clock to offer you unparalleled assistance.
You might also consider