Learn the best steps to fix QuickBooks wont open or QuickBooks Desktop doesn’t start problem:
QuickBooks accounting software needs no specific introduction. It is one of the finest accounting software that has simplified the way people used to carry out their accounting and bookkeeping activities. A fact that can’t be denied is QuickBooks is prone to unnumbered errors, that can be very annoying for the users. QuickBooks won’t open or doesn’t start problem is one of the most annoying error that leaves the user in an unexpected state. This is a technical error that is often seen while opening the QuickBooks software. If you are also facing any such issue, then you can read this post till the end.
This post will brief you with the causes and fixes to QuickBooks desktop doesn’t start or won’t open error. Moreover, if you don’t have much time to spend on fixing this issue, then you can simply get in touch with our professionals at 1-800-761-1787. Our certified professionals will be there to assist you in fixing this error with much ease.
You may also read: Steps to fix QuickBooks Error 80070057 (The parameter is incorrect)
What is QuickBooks won’t open issue and why it occurs?
Well, before learning the causes and fixes to this technical snag, it is important for the user to understand the basic facts about this error. This error is usually seen when users tries to open the QuickBooks desktop. It comes up with an error message stating QuickBooks desktop won’t open or doesn’t start. However, in some situations no error might appear on the screen, but the system freezes suddenly. As a consequence of this error, the user might face issues with the system as well. This might also affect the company file. There are several possible triggers to this error, which we will be discussing later in this post.
What triggers to this error?
Talking about the factoring causing or triggering this issue, the list is not huge. There can be a couple of factors that can end up in QuickBooks doesn’t start issue. Let us have a look at some of the most common factors:
- The very first reason can be corrupted hard disk.
- Also, very large company name can also be one of the factors.
- Users might face this technical issue due to outdated operating system.
- Incorrect installation of QuickBooks desktop can be one essential factor.
- You might also end up in this error in case of missing or damaged QBWUSER.INI file.
Signs and symptoms of QuickBooks doesn’t start or won’t open error
In order to identify the QuickBooks won’t open issue, users can check out the below listed signs and symptoms.
- The very first sign can be if the QuickBooks software freezes.
- Or the QuickBooks company file fails to open.
- Users might also encounter this issue if the windows run slowly.
- Similar error could also be seen if the system hangs every now and then.
- Also, if the system responds slowly to keyboard or mouse inputs.
- You can’t able to open QuickBooks.
Important tips before troubleshooting
You can perform these steps before proceeding to the fixation methods:
- Update your QuickBooks desktop to latest
- Turn off hosting on your workstations
- Suppress the QuickBooks Desktop application
- Rename the TLG and ND files for your company file
- Repair your QuickBooks Desktop Installation
Read this also: Troubleshoot QuickBooks Web connector error QBWC1085
Methods to resolve QuickBooks Desktop doesn’t start or won’t open issue
Now that you know what factors might cause the issue, signs and symptoms, and various other facts related to this error. It is the right time to start with the fixation procedures. So, let us check out the methods that can help users in resolving the QuickBooks won’t open error:
Method 1: Running Quick fix my program from QuickBooks tool hub
Step 1: Downloading and installing the QuickBooks Tool hub
- For this, you need to close QuickBooks.
- And then, download the QuickBooks tool hub file form here. Also, save the file where it can be accessed easily.
- The next step is to open the downloaded file.
- And follow the onscreen instructions for installing the tool and also agree to the terms and conditions.
- Now, you need to double click the icon on the windows desktop to open the tool hub.
Step 2: Run Quick fix my program
- After the QuickBooks tool hub is downloaded the user will have to run the quick fix my program.
- For that select the program problems in the tools hub.
- And then choose quick fix my program.
- Also, select the start QuickBooks desktop and open the data file.
Method 2: Running QuickBooks install diagnostic tool from QuickBooks tools hub
- In this method, you need to open the QuickBooks tools hub which was downloaded earlier.
- And then select the installation issues.
- After that, choose the QuickBooks install diagnostic tool and let it run.
- This might take some time i.e. approximately 20 minutes.
- Now, after the tool completes its task, you are supposed to reboot the system.
- And start QuickBooks and open the data file.
Method 3: Opening company file from a different folder location
Many times, the location of the company file might get damaged or corrupted, which ultimately lead to this error. The steps involved in this process are as follows:
- Firstly, press Windows + E keys together.
- And then, look for the data file with .qbw file extension. When you look for a file location on a network server, that needs to browse to the network drive on which the data file is located.
- The next step is to right click and press copy.
- Now, locate the C: drive and make a new folder there.
- After that name that as QBTEST.
- You are then required to open the new QBTEST folder and paste the company file.
- Also, open QuickBooks and hold the CTRL key.
- Towards the end you need to press open or restore an existing company and examine the C:\QBTEST folder that was built.
- And to end the process, you need to open the company file copied in the QBTEST Folder.
Method 4: Perform a Clean installation of QuickBooks
Many times, clean installation of QuickBooks fixes a lot of errors. So, it is recommended to uninstall and re-install the QuickBooks desktop. This process can be pretty much helpful in fixing the QuickBooks won’t open issue. However, if it doesn’t work, you can check out the other available options as well.
Method 5: Rebooting the system
There can be certain errors that can be fixed by merely restarting the system. Hence, users are suggested to open the Start menu and then click on the power tab, followed by selecting the restart option. After the restart is done, you can open QuickBooks desktop and check if the error persists.
You may also like: Converting a QuickBooks Online Company File to Desktop
Method 6: Creating a new windows admin user
- In this process, you need to click the control panel and then navigate through it.
- Also, double click the user account and then manage user tab. Also, click the add tab.
- Once done with that, you need to enter the name as well as domain of the admin and hit OK button.
- After that, select administrator, if you are using Windows 10.
- And then click finish, which will direct to the user accounts dialog box and also hit OK and you are good to go.
Method 7: Close QBW32.exe process
- Users are supposed to close the QBW32.exe process by right click the windows taskbar and select the start task manager option.
- And then click on the process tab and also click on image name.
- The next step is to locate and select exe.
- And also click on end process to close exe process and you are done.
You might also like: Fix QuickBooks Multi-User Mode Not Working Problem
Method 8: Rename the QBWUSER.INI file
- Initially, you need to access the folder where ini file is saved.
- And then click on the QBWUSER.INI file and also select the rename option.
- You are also supposed to type in Insert.old in the last file name.
- And also change the name of ecml.file.
- And lastly, check if the error persists.
Method 9: Suppressing QuickBooks desktop installation
- For this, you will have to right click the QuickBooks desktop icon.
- After that, press on Ctrl key and also choose open tab. Hold Ctrl key till the No company open window appears.
- The last step is to open QuickBooks desktop.
Instant support is just a call away!
Performing or implementing any of the above stated methods can work in fixing the QuickBooks wont open issue. However, if a situation arises when none of the above methods worked in fixing the issue on your behalf, then in that case we would recommend you to get in touch with our QuickBooks enterprise technical support team of experts and certified accounting professionals, who can handle the situation for you.
Give us a call at 1-800-761-1787, and our dedicated support team will ensure to provide you with the best possible support services.
Other helpful articles to read: