Learn the best ways to troubleshoot QuickBooks update error 15270: Payroll update didn’t not complete successfully:
Accounting and bookkeeping are some of the most tedious and mundane tasks business owners would like to do. But when your business relies on them, you can’t avoid them either. Luckily, QuickBooks is there to assist you. The robust software helps you organize your finances, track performance, import data from Excel and other spreadsheets, and prepare taxes. But while this comes with so many amazing features, it sometimes receives errors like any other computer software. While many QuickBooks errors can be easily fixed by following the prompts on the screen or carrying out some basic DIY troubleshooting, some require the attention of experts.
In this blog post, we are going to discuss QuickBooks Error Code 15270, which is an update error. You can perform the steps provided further in this article or, if you can’t do it on your own, call our QuickBooks support line at 1-800-761-1787 (toll-free).
You might also see: What is QuickBooks error 1330 and how to fix it?
What is QuickBooks Error Code 15270?
QuickBooks Error Code 15270 is an update error that usually appears when you try to download payroll updates or set up a file. Another situation that triggers this error is when an Intuit product runs during the Windows start-up process or at the time of installing windows operating system. This error requires your immediate attention or else it may get harder to fix. There are numerous facts associated with this error code, which we will discuss further in this post.
When this error occurs, a message will appear on your screen which will say:
Error 15270: The (payroll) update did not complete successfully. The update is missing a file.
Error 15270: When Downloading the Latest Payroll Update
What Causes the QuickBooks Error Code 15270?
There might be too many reasons behind occuring the QuickBooks error 15270. Few are as:
- All the active programs crash that are running on the desktop window
- In some cases, the computer also crashes while running a similar program
- The QuickBooks installation process is not complete
- The user account settings is turned on and blocking internet connection
- The Windows program is either corrupted or infected
- A Firewall is blocking the server communication
- Incorrect QuickBooks update
- Poor Internet Connection
- Internet Explorer browser is not default browser
How to avoid QuickBooks error 15270?
Before you start with the steps to fix the issue, you should get your hands into the possible ways in which this error can be avoided. Let us check out those pointers:
- It should be noted that the update file can be downloaded easily and the user will have to confirm it by clicking the update complete tab, at the time when the update process ends.
- The user can also start the QuickBooks software and then apply the necessary changes according to the requirements.
- In order to avoid this error, the user should ensure to have the updated and genuine version of QuickBooks.
- Or else, the user can reboot the system and can visit the QuickBooks update service window and then click on the install later option to tackle with the payroll update file related errors.
Fix QuickBooks Error Code 15270 (When Downloading the Payroll Update)
Checkout the following steps in order to resolve the payroll update error 15270:
Solution 1: Update QuickBooks Payroll Manually
- At first, Restart QuickBooks.
- In ‘QuickBooks Update Service’, click on the ‘Install Later’ option.
- Go to the ‘Help’ icon and then, click on ‘Update QuickBooks’.
- In the ‘Update QuickBooks’ field, click on ‘Update Now’ option.
- Confirm the reset update with ‘OK’.
- After the completion of the update, you will find that the ‘Get Updates’ button has been activated.
- After this, a pop-up message will appear as ‘Update Complete’. Restart QuickBooks.
- If ‘QuickBooks Update Service’ appears again, choose the ‘Install Now’ button.
- Search and Select ‘Employees’ tab >> ‘Get Payroll Updates’ option.
- Install Payroll updates again and choose ‘Download entire payroll update’.
- Select the ‘Update’ icon.
Solution 2: Install QuickBooks Desktop in Selective Startup
- Ensure that the subscription is active.
- In Basic, Standard or Enhanced Payroll application: Choose Employees tab > My Payroll Service > Account/Billing Information or Account Info/Preferences files.
- Sign-in the Intuit Account, check ‘QuickBooks Payroll Account Maintenance’ page and subscription activity.
- Make Internet Explorer as the default browser.
- Disable the ‘User Account Control’ icon.
- Choose the ‘Repair QuickBooks Desktop’ option.
- Select ‘Selective Startup’ to do the clean installation process.
Read Also: Steps to open .QBW file without QuickBooks
Solution 3: Run the Reboot.bat file
When a user runs the reboot.bat files, then it re-registers the QuickBooks related .DLL and .OCX files in Microsoft Windows. Follow the steps below:
- Turn off QuickBooks Desktop.
- Open the folder which has ‘Reboot.bat file’.
- Right-click on QuickBooks icon and choose Properties.
- Choose ‘Open file Location’.
- Right-click on Reboot.bat file and select ‘Run as administrator‘.
- A window will appear with the file names. This window will close automatically once the reboot.bat file utility is completed.
Solution 4: Do a clean install of QuickBooks Desktop
If none of the steps are able to resolve the error, then go for a clean installation of QuickBooks Desktop. User can use the clean install tools and fix the issue and then, do the QuickBooks clean installation process.
- The user is supposed to uninstall the QuickBooks software
- And then rename the folders
- Followed by reinstalling the software
And check, if the error is resolved or not.
Read this also: How to solve QuickBooks error 6189, 816?
Solution 5: The Identification number is not right
Error 15270 can occur is the identification number is incorrect. Ensure that you have put the right employee identification number (EIN). This can also happen if the social security number or service key has been filled incorrectly.
Solution 6: Set Internet Explorer as Default browser
Intuit recommends using Internet Explorer as the default browser to configure QuickBooks. If it has not been set as the default browser, then the user may face some issues. A user can set it as default by following the steps below:
- In the search bar of Window, find ‘App Defaults’.
- Find ‘Web Browser’ and Set ‘Internet Explorer’ as the default app.
You may also see: Check the solution of QuickBooks error code 12, 0
Solution 7: Turning off/Disable User Account Control (UAC)
- In this method, the user will first have to press Windows + R, to open the run box.
- After that, type in control panel in the run command and then hit OK option.
- Once done with that, the user will have to click on user accounts.
- And then click on the change user account control settings.
- The next step in the process is to move the slider to never notify option and then hit OK.
For Windows Vista:
- The user is supposed to click on Windows start main tab and then click to the control panel
- After that, if it fails to select, then click on classic view as located on the left hand side
- Now, double click on the users accounts
- And also, click on and turn user account control as ON or OFF
- The next step is to clear the use user account control which helped and protect the desktop as well as the software and in the end click on OK tab
- Once done with that, reboot the system
- And also, restart QuickBooks software and reopen the company file.
Solution 8: Download and run Quick fix my program
- In this method, the user will have to download QuickBooks tools hub, and then move to the downloads by pressing Ctrl + J keys.
- After that, the user needs to double click the QuickBooksToolsHub.exe.
- And then, carry out the on-screen instructions, in order to install it.
- Once done with that, the user will have to open QuickBooks tools hub from the desktop.
- Followed by moving to the Program problems tab and then clicking on Quick Fix my Program.
- The process might take sometime.
- After the process completes, the user needs to restart QuickBooks desktop.
- And then, if the QuickBooks update services message comes up, then in that case click on Install now option.
Solution 9: Verifying whether the subscription is active
- For basic, standard or enhanced payroll, you first need to click on the Employees tab and then click on My Payroll Service followed by Account/Billing Information or Account Info/Preferences. After that, sign in to the Intuit Account using your credentials to see that the QuickBooks payroll account maintenance page and then check if the subscription is active.
- On the other hand, for assisted payroll, you are required to click on the Employees tab and then click on My Payroll Service followed by Account Billing Information or Account Info/Preferences. After the QuickBooks payroll account maintenance opens up, you should close the screen to verify the update immediately and then verify the payroll service again.
So this brings us to the end of this article. We hope you find it useful in fixing QuickBooks Error Code 5270. In case you have any queries or trouble performing the troubleshooting steps provided in this post or the error persists even after you tried all the solution provided in this article – please contact us immediately at our toll-free number 1(800)761-1787.
We are a team of certified experts with years of experience in fixing QuickBooks related issues. With our advanced tools and technology we are able to fix a wide range of QuickBooks issues within minutes so that you can resume your work.
People also searched: