Few simple methods to repair the error code 6000, 816 in QuickBooks:
When it comes to QuickBooks 6000 series errors, one of the most reported errors is the QuickBooks error 6000, 816. This error code is generally encountered by QuickBooks users while opening the company file. The error message “QuickBooks was unable to open the company file because the file is in use” or “Unable to open a company file” might hinder the smooth working of the software. If you are also facing any such error, then this article can be a time-saver for you. We have come up with the causes and quick fixes to error code 6000, 816 in this post. So, make sure to continue reading this article carefully till the end.
Also, you can get in touch with our experts at our dedicated support line i.e., 1-800-761-1787. This would save a lot of your time and efforts, as our team of QuickBooks error support experts and accounting professionals are always ready to fix QuickBooks errors for you. Just ring up, and get your error resolved.
What is QuickBooks error code 6000, 816?
The 6000 series error codes have been the most annoying and time-consuming for the users to tackle with. Moreover, when it comes to the QuickBooks error code 6000, 816, this error can show up when you try to open the company file. The error message appears stating that the software is unable to open the company file. There can be a multitude of causes behind the occurrence of this error code, which we shall be discussing in the subsequent section of this article. The steps to resolve the error are also mentioned later, so keep reading!
What causes the QuickBooks error code -6000, -816?
There can be multiple possible causes of the QuickBooks error code 6000, 816. You can check out a few of the common ones below:
- The company file that you are attempting to access may be damaged.
- If the company file with the .qbw extension is used by any of the third-party backup software.
- You can also encounter QuickBooks error code 6000, 816, while restoring or opening a company file on a system running Windows Vista.
- The company file is placed in a Microsoft Windows Home server edition with numerous unmaintained hard disks.
- If there is any sort of damage to the QuickBooks installation.
Read this also: Ways to resolve QuickBooks error 12029
Methods to troubleshoot QuickBooks error code 6000, 816
Now that you know about the various contributory causes behind this error, including all the relevant facts associated with it, let us now go through the various methods for fixing the error code 6000, 816 in QuickBooks. The methods to resolve the error largely revolve around the causes. Let us check out each of the methods one by one:
Method 1: Use Auto Data Recovery (ADR) to restore the backup
When it comes to the various types of errors related to your company files, Auto data recovery is one of the most preferred methods to recover your files. You can conveniently recover the lost data and restore the backup by using the QuickBooks auto data recovery. This would help in getting rid of the error code 6000, 816.
Method 2: Copy the Company file(s) to the Desktop
In case the above-stated method failed, you can opt for the steps below:
- Firstly, open the folder containing the company file(s).
- You can look for the file with the extension ‘.qbw.’
- Moving ahead, you will have to right-click and then hit on the Copy option.
- Next, Paste it onto the desktop by hitting the Ctrl + V keys together.
- Follow it up by holding the Control key and opening QuickBooks. This shall open the No Company Open window.
- Now, you will have to hit on Open and then choose the Restore existing company option.
- Now, open the Company file copied to the desktop.
- And you are good to go.
See Also: How to Fix a QuickBooks Paycheck With Incorrect Payroll Taxes?
Method 3: Open a sample company file
You can open a sample company file in order to fix the QuickBooks error 6000, 816. This is a two-step process, which involves your adherence to the following steps:
- To begin with, move to the No company file, and then hit on the Open sample file option.
- Follow it up by choosing from the Sample company files.
- You can move to another method if the sample company file opens. In case it is not opening, you will have to repair the QuickBooks installation files.
Method 4: Rename the Network(.ND) and Transaction Log(.TLG) files
- Firstly, you need to open the folder containing the company file.
- Spot the files with the same name as the company file and with the ‘.ND’ and ‘.TLG’ extensions.
- Afterward, right-click on the file and then hit on the Rename option. The next step is to type ‘.old’ at the end of the file name.
- Lastly, open the QuickBooks desktop software and then log in to the company file. In case it doesn’t fix the error, jump to Method 5.
Method 5: Restore the previous QuickBooks backup
Now that you have opted for the above methods and failed to fix the error, then you can try fixing the error by restoring the backup of the file. This will help you in finding whether the issue is with the current company file or not. To restore the backup, hit on the link above and follow the steps carefully.
Method 6: Close all QuickBooks Processes
- Initially, Log in as the admin on the server system.
- Hit the Ctrl + Shift+Esc keys to open up the Task Manager.
- After that hit on the Users tab and then check-mark the box beside the Show processes from all the users option.
- Follow it up by highlighting each QuickBooks process (QBW32.EXE, qbupdate.exe, and QBDBMgr.exe), and then choose End task.
- Now, open the company file in multi-user mode.
- And at the end of the process, check if the error resolved.
Read Also: How to Fix QuickBooks Desktop Error C=387?
Method 7: Use the QuickBooks database server manager
The database server manager is used to host the QuickBooks company files. It is best to restart the DBSM and also rescan the QuickBooks files after the files are renamed. From the QuickBooks tool hub, you need to run the QuickBooks database server manager.
- Download the latest version of the QuickBooks tool hub program in your system and save it.
- Install and run the program on your server computer.
- Now, double-click on the Tool hub icon to launch this tool.
- Afterward, navigate to the Network issues tab.
- Opt for the QuickBooks database server manager.
- You will be prompted to install QuickBooks desktop on the server (if it isn’t already installed).
- Upon seeing the Company files, hit on the Start scan tab inside the database server manager. In case you are unable to see the company files, Browse to the location of the company file and then hit on the Start scan option.
- Lastly, open QuickBooks again and then try to sign in to the company file.
Method 8: Update QuickBooks Desktop
Many times, an outdated QuickBooks version might also lead to such an error. So, it is recommended that you should keep the QuickBooks software up to date. Follow the trails below:
- Launch the QuickBooks software and then move to the Help menu and choose Update QuickBooks desktop.
- Opt for the Update now tab. Afterward, choose the Reset update checkbox to clear all previous update downloads.
- Choose the Get updates tab to start with the download process.
- Restart QuickBooks after the download completes.
- Accept the option to Install the new release, when asked to.
See this also: How to fix Error 6189, 816 in QuickBooks?
Method 9: Run the QuickBooks file doctor tool
QuickBooks File Doctor is an impressive tool that has the ability to oust innumerable errors in QuickBooks. You are initially required to download and install QuickBooks file doctor tool. This tool might resolve the error code 6000, 816. However, if the tool doesn’t troubleshoot this problem, you can simply move ahead with the processes to fix the issue.
- At first, login as an Admin and run the tool.
- Two options will appear on the system stating:
- Both file damage and connectivity
- Network connectivity only
- Choose the first option and it will identify the damaged file and will help you in fixing the issue.
- You now have to enter the Admin password.
- You will be asked if the company file is stored on the workstation or server.
- In the event of the file is on the server, opt for the Yes tab.
- Hit on Proceed and you are good to go.
Get Instant help from our experts!
So, with this, we come to the end of this post, and also, we hope that the information and methods shared above might help you in getting rid of QuickBooks error 6000, 816. However, if all the above methods failed and the error is still showing up, then do not hesitate in calling our QuickBooks enterprise support team.
Our technical support team will help you with the most effective and relevant methods to get rid of the error in no time. Feel free to reach us by dialing the helpline i.e., 1-800-761-1787, and let our experts rectify this error for you.
Few other articles you may like:
How to resolve QuickBooks multi-user not working error?
Resolve QuickBooks has stopped working error
Register or Activate QuickBooks Desktop for Windows/Mac