Uncover the different strategies to resolve QuickBooks Error 1317 on your System
Installation and update-related errors have been impugning the functional capabilities of QuickBooks and have been calling into called into question the seamlessness of this accounting program. Installation Error 1317 is one such error observed while installing or updating the QuickBooks Desktop program. The causes leading to this error are multiple, and so are the troubleshooting methods to fix QuickBooks Error 1317.
How does the QuickBooks installation issue reveal itself?
This QuickBooks error generally shows up in association with an elaborate message given below:
‘’Error 1317: An error occurred while attempting to create the directory Drive Name:/Folder.’’
Common causes leading to QuickBooks Error 1317
The major causes that may instigate this error include the following:
- A third-party program set up on the System may conflict with QuickBooks install/update process.
- The drive on which the installation is being performed may not have sufficient permissions.
- M.S. Visual Studio might have gained access to the specified drive.
- A recent unwarranted windows registry change may potentially lead to such error.
- Some crucial system files might be corrupted.
- Insufficient RAM and hard disc memory might also provoke Error code 1317 in QuickBooks.
You may also see: How to Solve QuickBooks Multi-User Mode Not Working Error?
Different Solutions for Fixing QuickBooks Error 1317
This section demands your keen attention since it elaborately discusses all the viable troubleshooting strategies to troubleshoot Error 1317 in QuickBooks.
Solution 1: Run QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool
- If you are already running QuickBooks, you need to make an exit from the accounting program. Also, make sure to close all the other programs running in the background.
- Once you are done, open your web browser and navigate to Intuit website and download the QuickBooks Tool Hub from the site.
- You then need to double-click on the QuickBooksToolHub.exe file to initiate the installation process.
- Follow the on-screen directions to successfully finish the installation process.
- Once installed, run the QuickBooks Tool Hub.
- Subsequently, click on the Installation issues tab.
- Herein, pick the QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool and let it diagnose your System. The process may seem to be tedious, but keep patience till the tool diagnoses and fixes any installation-related issues.
- After that, restart the computer and try updating QuickBooks once again.
Solution 2: Use the Safe Mode to Update/Install QuickBooks Desktop
To discard any conflict caused by unauthorized third-party applications, you should try to update QuickBooks Desktop in Safe Mode. The two approaches to switching to the Safe Mode are simple and are discussed below:
Using the F8 key after restarting
- Restart your System, and then keep hitting the F8 key.
- The Advanced Boot Options screen will appear on the screen.
- Using the arrow keys, choose Safe Mode with Networking.
- Once the Desktop screen loads up, try installing QuickBooks desktop again.
On some systems, the above-discussed procedure for accessing the Safe mode doesn’t work. The procedure to be followed for such systems is given as under:
- Press the Windows and R keys on your keyboard to open the Run window.
- Type MSConfig in the Run window field.
- Press the Ok button soon after.
- The next step is to pick the General tab and choose the Selective startup option.
- After that, hit on the Load System Services option.
- Herein, you are supposed to uncheck the box beside Load Startup Items.
- Now, hit on the Services tab.
- At the bottom of the Window, click the checkbox to Hide all Microsoft Services.
- Click on the Disable All option and uncheck the option to Hide all Microsoft Services.
- Also, make sure the Windows Installer checkbox is check-marked in the Service list.
- If it isn’t marked, you are supposed to checkmark it. Follow it up by restarting the System.
- Finally, try to update QuickBooks Desktop once again in an attempt to check if QuickBooks Error message 1317 got annihilated.
Solution 3: Make necessary alterations to the permissions
- The initial step requires restarting the System and then logging in as an Administrator.
- Subsequently, head to the installation path (mentioned while installing QuickBooks before stumbling onto QuickBooks Error 1317.)
- The next step requires right-clicking on the Program folder.
- Choose Properties.
- Within the Properties Window, choose the Sharing and security option.
- The next step requires hitting on the Sharing tab.
- After that, hit on the Advanced Sharing option.
- Now, pick the Permissions option.
- Herein, you are required to include Everyone from the Group.
- Subsequently, hit on Allow on the Full Control.
- Finally, hit on Ok.
Solution 4: Restore your PC
If the solutions discussed heretofore prove futile in fixing QuickBooks Error 1317, you should go for restoring the System. The steps for the same are given below:
- To start off, you need to search for ‘’restore’’ in the Search bar available in the start button.
- After that, click on the System Restore icon to open its Window.
- Choose the most recent restore point and commence with the restore process.
- Once the process is over, restart the computer and attempt to install/update QuickBooks Desktop once again. Hopefully, Error 1317 should be resolved after the System Restore.
This blog contained updated resolutions to fix QuickBooks installation error 1317. Error codes are pretty common in QuickBooks due to technical complexities involved in the program structure. However, we at qbsenterprisesupport endeavor to streamline your business operations by resolving the contemporary complex technical errors encountered while using QuickBooks. You can call our team of certified QuickBooks professionals any time at +1-800-761-1787 and get all your unaddressed queries resolved.