Learn how you can fix QuickBooks can’t create or won’t open a portable company file:
At the time of creating or opening a portable company file with the extension .qbm, the QuickBooks users often face portable company file issues in QuickBooks desktop. Well, in such a situation panicking is not a solution, there are a couple of steps that could help in getting out of this issue.
This article will brief you with the ways to fix QuickBooks desktop portable company file errors, so that you can use the portable company file to move the data or repair the file. Thus, make sure that you scroll through the article carefully. However, this error can be simply rectified with the help of an efficient U.S based QuickBooks error support team, who will blend their expertise with your requirements and come up with a great result instantly.
You may also like: How to Effectively Resolve QuickBooks Error PS034?
Steps to resolve QuickBooks Desktop portable company file issues
There can be a couple of steps that you can implement in order to fix the portable company file issue in QuickBooks desktop. Let us check them out one by one:
Step 1: Creating a manual copy of the company file
This issue might be basic just like the company file’s location. You can create a copy of the company file and use it to create an additional portable copy. The steps involved in this particular process are as follows:
- First step is to open the windows menu.
- And then type in file explorer into the search bar. You will also have to open the file explorer.
- Once done with that, you need to search for and spot the folder that is having the company file.
The steps to be followed ahead, completely depend on the task being performed at the time when the error was encountered.
Case 1: Error encountered while creating a portable company file
Well, if you encountered the error at the time of creating a portable company file, then in that case the steps below can be implemented:
- At first, you will have to look for the company file with an extension .qbw. This would look like [Your company file].qbw
- Next step is to hit a right click the file and choose copy.
- Once done with that, you can navigate to the windows desktop and also right click and choose paste.
- Moving ahead, open QuickBooks, but avoid opening the company file.
- Now you should select opening or restore an existing file. Also, select the open a company file option.
- You will then have to browse the system and open the copied company file pasted to the windows desktop.
- After that, move to the file menu in the open copy of the company file and also select the create copy.
- Now select the restore portable company file and also hit next.
- The final step is to carry out the on-screen prompts and create another portable company file.
If you are able to create a company file, then the issue lies in the original company file’s location. You will have to use the copied company file as the main company file from now on. After which, you should rename the original company file and place “old” in the name to avoid using it again.
Read Also: System Requirements for QuickBooks Desktop
Case 2: If the error was encountered while restoring the portable company file
- In such a situation, first look for the portable company file with a .qbm extension. This would look like [Your company file].qbm.
- After which, you will have to right click the file and select copy.
- Next step is to move to the windows desktop and also right click somewhere and choose paste.
- Now open QuickBooks, but don’t open the company file.
- After that choose opening or restore an existing file.
- Along with that choose the restore a portable file option. Moreover, browse the system and open the copied portable company file pasted to the windows desktop.
In case you are able to open the copied portable company file, then the error is fixed. You can make use of it to move the accounting data. Also, renaming the original portable file to OLD is recommended.
Step 2: Opening a sample company file
Another step is to use a sample company file, in order to create a portable company file. This will help you to identify if there is any bigger issue with the company file. The steps involved in here are:
- Initially, open QuickBooks accounting software.
- And then, rather than selecting the company file, hit a click on open a sample file. This will open one of the sample companies.
- Now, in the sample company file, you can follow the steps to create a portable company file. Along with that, save it to the windows desktop.
- And navigate to the file menu, in QuickBooks. Followed by selecting close company/log off.
- Last step is to carry out the steps to open the portable company file being created in the sample company.
If you have successfully able to restore the portable company file from the sample company, then the main company file might have certain issues. You can then, opt for the troubleshooting data damage on the company file, in order to fix the error.
With the help of this post, we have tried to share with you some of the most effective solutions that would help you in rectification of the portable company file errors in QuickBooks desktop. However, if you find these errors to be too complicated for you to handle, then in that case, we are here to help you.
We would love to answer all your queries and handle the situation on your behalf. Give us a call today at our QuickBooks error support number i.e., 1-800-761-1787, and let our U.S based best accounting experts to fix the issue for you. Do not hesitate in calling us at any point of time, we will be happy to help you.
How to Resolve QuickBooks Error Code 3008?
Steps to solve QuickBooks update error code 15227
How to Troubleshoot Multi-user Issues in QuickBooks for MAC?