Learn how to troubleshoot the unexpected error 5 in QuickBooks desktop:
QuickBooks unexpected error 5 is seen when the QuickBooks database service user is restricted to access the file location. This error comes up with an error message stating “Got unexpected error 5 is a call to NetShareGetInfo for Path”. This sort of error is seen due to invalid entries in the windows registry or the system is not configured accordingly.
QuickBooks unexpected error 5 is basically an issue that generally occurs with a warning message that is:
Encountered Unexpected Error 5 in call to NetShareGetInfo for path\\server\file.QBW
An Unexpected Error Occurs “Intuit QuickBooks Enterprise Solutions: Contractor 16.0”: V26.0D R3 (M=1066, L=335, C=249, V=0 (0))
To know more about QuickBooks unexpected error 5, make sure to read this post carefully till the end. You can connect with our accounting professionals using our dedicated support line i.e. 1-800-761-1787. We will ensure to provide immediate technical assistance.
You may also like: How to Fix QuickBooks Error Code 6144, 82 and 6144, 301?
Factors causing the QuickBooks Unexpected Error 5 issue
The QuickBooks unexpected error 5 can be seen due to following factors, which include the following:
- The very first reason can be incorrect installation of QuickBooks desktop
- Or the system shuts down incorrectly
- Also, if there are invalid entries in the windows registry
- Any kind of antivirus or malware attack can also lead to this sort of error
- Or if the registry entry or system file gets deleted mistakenly
- Another cause can be if the windows user account being used doesn’t have enough rights
- Moreover, if the point of sale update’s shared download location is invalid
Methods to Resolve QuickBooks Unexpected Error 5
There are a handful of processes that can resolve the QuickBooks unexpected error 5. We have listed below some of the most effective ones:
Process 1: Removing the user
The user can remove the user by carrying out the steps below and try to resolve the QuickBooks unexpected error 5:
- At first, the user needs to launch the company tab in QuickBooks desktop and select the users
- After that, choose the set-up users and roles
- Followed by, select the user in the user list
- The last step is to select OK for confirmation
Process 2: Re-creating the user
- For this, the user needs to select the user and roles
- After that create a new username for the new user
- Once done with that make a new password and confirm it
- The next step is to establish the roles for the user and press OK
Read this Also: How to Resolve QuickBooks Error Code 7149?
Process 3: Turning off user account control in windows
In order to turn off user account control in windows, the user can simply carry out the below steps:
- The very first step is to press windows + R keys to open the run window
- And then, type control panel and hit OK button
- The next step is to select user accounts and also select user accounts (classic view)
- Moving ahead, the user needs to select change user account control settings. It should be noted that if you are prompted by UAC, the user needs to select Yes to continue
- Now, move the slider
- And set it to never notify and choose OK to turn UAC OFF
- Or, set to Always notify and opt for OK to turn UAC ON (If prompted, select Yes to continue)
- The last step is to reboot the system
The user can continue to the action that caused the error. Moreover, once the error is resolved the user should ensure turning on UAC. As it needs to be turned on for financial exchange to function with QuickBooks desktop point of sale
Other solutions methods you may try
If the above methods failed to work for you, then make sure to follow the below solutions and try fixing the error.
Solution 1: Downloading and installing QuickBooks file doctor
The user can download and install QuickBooks file doctor tool to resolve the error. The steps to be followed for this are:
- At first, download and install QuickBooks file doctor at the Intuit official website
- After that, the tool will check the files and folders in the system and correct the hosting settings accordingly
- Once the QuickBooks file doctor tool is installed, the user can access and control the system through permission level setting
- The user can also repair and locate the damaged files in QuickBooks software.
Read it Also: How to Fix QuickBooks Error 6069?
Solution 2: Update QuickBooks point of sale
The user can update the QuickBooks point of sale in order to fix the issue. This can be done by setting up automatic updates.
- The very first step is to sign in to the point of sale system as an admin
- And then, move to the help menu and then hover over software update and also select updater preference
- Also, the user can select general tab
- Moving ahead, the user needs to select automatically download updates. Also, the user can select notify me, to get the notification related to new updates when they are available.
- The last step is to select OK when done
The QuickBooks accounting software will automatically download and install the latest updates when they’re available.
Solution 3: Giving file share access
- For this, the user needs to launch the file explorer and right click on the folder where it has been saved
- After that select properties and sharing tab
- And then, select partial or full sharing according to the business requirements
- The last step is to select apply and hit OK button.
Solution 4: Installing the reimage repair tool
In case the above methods failed to resolve the unexpected error 5, then in that case the user can install the reimage repair tool. The steps to resolve the issue are:
- The first step is to download the reimage repair tool
- And save this tool on the desktop
- Now, move to the file location and then press yes when the prompt displays on the screen
- After that, start the automatic scan, unmark the checkbox
- Followed by selecting install and the tool will get scanned automatically
- Once you are done with that start with the repair process
- The last step is to reboot the QuickBooks software and check if QuickBooks error 5 continues to appear.
Also See: How to Fix QuickBooks Error code 15270?
With this, we conclude the article over here, and hope that the information stated above might be enough to fix the QuickBooks unexpected error 5. However, in case of any query or if you need any sort of technical assistance, give us a call at 1-800-761-1787.
Our QuickBooks error support team of professionals and certified professionals will ensure to provide you with immediate technical assistance.
More helpful resources