Learn the best ways to resolve QuickBooks Error 6000 83 in QuickBooks Desktop
QuickBooks accounting software gained a lot of popularity over the past several decades. Users from all over the globe prefer this accounting program due to the capabilities and features it provides. However, at the same time it is a known fact that the software is susceptible to certain errors. One commonly reported and known issue occurs is QuickBooks error code 6000, 83. In the past several years, a lot of users have reported facing an error (-6000, -83) while trying to restore, access or backup their company file. The error messages in the 6000 series are often frustrating for users to deal with but yet, they can be very much time consuming.
This article could be extremely helpful to you if you are troubling with this issue on your software. Therefore, read it carefully till the end . You can also get in touch with our QuickBooks error support through our dedicated helpline 1-800-761-1787. Our accounting experts will be more than happy to resolve the issue for you.
What is QuickBooks error code 6000, 83?
QuickBooks error code 6000, 83 comes under the -6000 series errors. This error can often cause severe damage to the company file and the system as well. The error appears with an error message stating:
|Warning||“An error occurred when QuickBooks tries to access the company file. Please try again. If the problem persists, contact Intuit technical support and provide them with the following error codes: (-6000, 83)”.|
You shouldn’t avoid this error code, as it might also cause a huge data damage. So, in order to avoid any further mess, You need to fix the bug as soon as possible. Keeping all those factors in mind, we have come up with this article, where we will be discussing the causes, symptoms, quick fixes, and various other facts related to QuickBooks error code -6000, -83.
How QuickBooks error 6000 83 is actually caused?
You might encounter this annoying error due to multiple factors, a few which are enlisted below:
- If you suspect that some QuickBooks files are missing
- Insufficient permissions for windows users
- Additionally, if there are the correct permissions to QBDataServiceUserXX You may get this error
- Another possibility is when the files are restricted by the firewall or security software.
- You’re trying to convert the company file to a previous version via an internet
- If the authorizations for the network server are less than the amount that is required.
- There could be a corrupted company file
- Hosting mode is accessible on multiple systems
- Windows version isn’t US or Canadian one.
What are the signs and symptoms of the QuickBooks error 6000 83?
There can be certain signs and symptoms that can be followed by you to identify the QuickBooks error code 6000, 83. A few of which are:
- QuickBooks error code itself appears on the screen, while crashing the active program window.
- The error message repeatedly displays on the screen.
- System or QuickBooks desktop freezes periodically.
- The windows operating system run slowly and do not respond to the mouse and keyboard inputs.
Latest Methods to fixing QuickBooks error code 6000, 83
There can be multiple methods that one can apply for, in order to get rid of QuickBooks error code 6000, 83. We will be exploring each of the methods one by one. Let us begin:
Method 1: Editing and optimizing windows hosts file
You are required to have admin rights, in order to access the server and systems that connect to the same. This will ultimately help you in editing the windows hosts file. However, if the company file is stored on a Linux server and the QuickBooks error 6000 83 is encountered while opening the file, you will have to carry out the steps below:
Step 1: Initially, configure the Linux database server manager
- You will first have to configure the Linux database server manager to specify the directory in the Initord.conf file. After that, reboot the QuickBooks solution application on the windows client and then ping the server.
- After that edit the hosts file.
Step 2: In this step configure the host file
You might encounter the error while creating a backup, in such a case the steps to be followed are:
- Crafting a new folder on the root of the C drive.
- And then taking the backup of the company file manually and saving it in the above created folder.
- Open Windows Start menu on one of the systems connected to the network.
- Followed by typing in CMD in the search bar and then opening command.
- Also type Ping with the server name in the window and then hit Enter key.
- Jot down the server name and then the IP address as well.
After that, you are supposed to edit the host files and make sure that all the systems connected to the server are having the proper IP address and Linux server name. And then begin with the system encountering the bug.
- Close your QuickBooks on all the systems that are connected to the network. Also, move to the file menu and then click on Quit QuickBooks desktop option.
- Open windows start menu and type in file explorer and then open the same.
- After that select my computer tab, which might also appear as THIS PC.
- Next, open C Drive and also open windows folder.
- And then find the system32 folder and then open the driver folder and also the ETC folder.
- Moving ahead, hit a right click on the file C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts and open it with the notepad.
- Move to the bottom file and then add the Linux server IP address at the end of the text. Also, press the TAB key and add the same. Ensure to enter name with correct case, as the Linux system files can be a sensitive case.
- End the process by selecting the file and then saving it.
Step 3: Restore company file
If by any chance the error appeared when you were trying to restore the company file, then in that case. The steps to be followed are:
- Authenticating the extension of the company file.
- You are supposed to check whether the restored company file is having .qbw extension or not. If not, then you will have to modify the file extension to qbw
- Also, ensure that there is no problem with the company file.
Example: Verifying that the file name and the file path are not causing QuickBooks error 6000 83.
It should be noted that QuickBooks considers the entire File name and the path when the backup is being taken back. Moreover, you need to ensure that there are no special characters in the file name and the file path.
Such as: C:\Users\Alex\My Documents\QuickBooksData\Alex123.qbw and not, C:\ Users\Alex\Alex’s Documents\QuickBooksData\Alex$.qbw
In this, Alex’s and Alex$ should be changed, as they have special characters, which is not permitted.
Method 2: Checking the name of the backup file
In order to avoid any kind of hassle, you are supposed to remove all sorts of signs, symbols, and special characters in the name. The steps to be followed are:
- Open windows start menu.
- And then type file explorer and then open the same.
- After that look for the folder having the company file and then open the same.
- Next step is to click on the file with .qbb extensions.
- And then, choose the rename option.
- Once done with that, delete any kind of special or unwanted characters from the file name.
- And then right click the folder and select rename option.
- Remove the special characters from here as well.
- And lastly restore the company file.
Method 3: Create a portable company file
Follow these steps to create a portable company file in QuickBooks desktop:
- Initially, open QuickBooks, then log in as an administrator.
- After that select File menu and choose Create Copy.
- Choose the portable Company File after which click the next.
- Give your portable company file a unique name. This will make it easier to differentiate it from your normal company file.
- Select a location to save your portable company file. Choose a location that is accessible, such as on your Windows desktop.
- When you’re ready, choose the Save option after which click click OK.
Now you have a portable company file that you can share online or save to the USB. The file will appear like this format: [Unique company file name].qbm.
If you can’t restore your QBB file, go back to and open the company file you created the backup from.
- Follow the steps to create a portable company file (also known as a QBM).
- Use the portable company file to restore your company file.
Method 4: Turning of hosting mode on your workstations
If the company file is hosted over a network, then it is important to turn off the host multi-user access option. The server system is supposed to be the only one to host the files. Steps that you need to follow in this process are:
- Open QuickBooks on one of the workstations.
- Do not open the company file, and select the file menu and move to the utilities option.
- Do not select the host multi-user access option and move to the next station.
- Hit a click on stop hosting multi-user access option, if visible.
- And end the process by carrying out the same process for each of the system.
Method 5: Download and run QuickBooks file doctor tool
You can simply download the QuickBooks file doctor tool from the official Intuit website and then run it to resolve the bug. The tool can either be used via QuickBooks tool hub or can be downloaded directly. Below, we will be discussing the steps to be followed in case of QuickBooks tool hub:
- At first, you are required to download the QuickBooks tool hub and after the download process comes to end, select the company file issues tab.
- After that, select the run QuickBooks file doctor option, from the company file issues tab.
- The tool might take a few moments to open up.
- In the file doctor tool, click on browser to choose the damaged company file name.
- And then select the check your file option and also hit continue.
- Next step is to enter the credentials and hit next option.
- The process might take some time depending upon the file size.
- Once the scan process completes, the bug will be resolved on its own and you are good to go.
Method 6: Close all QuickBooks processes
For this particular method, you need to carry out the steps below and try to fix the issue.
- The initial step is to login as the admin on the server system.
- And then, press Ctrl+Shift+Esc keys to bring up the task manager.
- Next, show processes for all the users by selecting the users tab.
- Also, highlight the QuickBooks process (QBW32.EXE, qbupdate.exe, and QBDBMgr.exe) and then select the end task.
- After that, open the company file in multi-user mode.
- And check if the error is resolved or not.
Method 7: Fixing QuickBooks error 6000 83 manually
- The manual process is to update the QuickBooks software to the latest release.
- And then, configure/modify the settings of the firewall.
- And then edit the permissions, only if required.
- Next step is to authenticate the hosting mode on the server system with QuickBooks database server manager. Also the hosting should be turned off for other PCs.
- Make sure that the QBSBMgrN.exe file is present under the task manager. Also authenticate whether the value in the users name column is correct.
- Now open QuickBooks company file in the host system. Also, copy the files to the windows desktop. And then open the QuickBooks and the company that are copied. If the error persists, fix it with restoring the backup by using QuickBooks auto data recovery ADR.
- If the company file opens up with no error, copy the company file back to its original place. And also rename them before copying.
- The last step in this process is to open QuickBooks and company file, to check if the error persists.
This brings us to the conclusion of this article and we hope that the tips we’ve mentioned above could aid to fix QuickBooks error code 6000, 83. In addition, you may contact with our QuickBooks enterprise support team, if you require experts assistance to deal with this error. Do not be hesitate to speak to our professionals and discuss your issue, as they will be happy to assist and guide you through this frustrating error. Call us today at 1-800-761-1787!
Have a look on these articles: