Learn how to fix QuickBooks error code 1406 when there is an update from a firewall or any security program installed on your computer:
QuickBooks software has been widely adopted and acknowledged by small and medium-sized businesses, owing to its impeccable features. However, time and again, its users have been witnessing a spate of technical error codes when performing their accounting operations on it. One such error code that has been bothering users lately is the QuickBooks install error 1406. This error may appear abruptly while you perform your accounting tasks on QuickBooks. Besides, a conflicting third-party program running in the background may evoke this error. There may also be other causes, all of which are mentioned in detail in this article. Considering the botheration it has been causing to users, our team of QuickBooks professionals has drafted this blog to familiarize you with the updated methods to fix this error in your QuickBooks.
This article shall brief you about Error 1406 in QuickBooks desktop and apprise you of the conspicuous causes, symptoms, and effective measures to fix such error. If you find the walkthrough too complicated to implement, then in that scenario, you should reach us through our helpline. Our technical support team will assist you in every possible way.
You may also like: How to Resolve QuickBooks Error 6000 82?
A Sneak Peek into QuickBooks Error 1406
Just like other issues confronted by QuickBooks users, the install error 1406 is one of the technical snags encountered that has been irking users quite frequently. This snag puts your QuickBooks operations to a complete halt. Being a QuickBooks user, you may run into the QuickBooks Install Error 1406 while attempting to upgrade the QuickBooks accounting software. The error may also erupt due to some damage caused to your Windows Registry.
In order to resolve this issue, you must first identify its underlying causes before implementing the suggested fixes. Attempt to eliminate any defects from the software with the aid of this post.
Major Causes that Provoke QuickBooks Install Error 1406
Although we have already gone through the rudimentary information related to this error in QuickBooks, it is suggested to visit the various factors that may contribute to the occurrence of this error. By going through these causes, you will get a clear idea about the appropriate troubleshooting method to perform in order tp fix this error code in QuickBooks. Observe the below-mentioned causes with utmost observance.
The error may be caused by conflicting third-party software running in the background. You can ensure the same by accessing your system in Safe mode and then launching the QuickBooks software to check if the error shows up. If it does show up, then this may not be the cause of the QuickBooks error 1406.
- In case the download location is not accessible, the error 1406 can manifest.
- An unreliable Windows installer may be contributing to this error code.
- The error may also be caused due to the disruption caused by the security software or firewall.
- This error may occur when some essential QuickBooks files have been improperly removed from your PC.
- A corrupted Windows registry key or some other damage caused in the Windows Registry may also be the potential cause of the QuickBooks error 1406.
- If multiple users simultaneously choose to move the QuickBooks application on the PC, the error may show up.
Symptoms that show up upon the arrival of Error 1406
Take a look into the signs that QuickBooks users may observe upon the intrusion of this error in your system.
- The Error 1406-related warning message directly shows up on the screen while you operate your QuickBooks software.
- Frequent freezing of your PC coupled with extremely sluggish processing. In this context, your system takes significant time to respond to the input commands given through a keyboard or mouse.
- An abrupt shutdown of your computer gives an indication of this error.
Updated Solutions to Rectify QuickBooks Error 1406
You can resort to multiple solutions given below to resolve the QuickBooks Error 1406 in your system. We have encapsulated all the viable solutions to fix this error in a format that is easily understandable. All you need to do is implement the methods one by one in the same order as given and inspect whether the error got resolved.
Solution 1: Repairing Windows Registry
Before you begin with the procedure to repair the Windows registry, it becomes pertinent that the System and Administration groups need to have proper access to manage users to fix the registry. So, make sure the system and the administrator have full control access. Follow the directions:
- To begin with, hit on the Win + R keys to reflect the Run Window.
- Having gained access to the Run Window, type in ‘’Regedit’’ within the Run box and hit the Enter key to open the Registry Editor Window.
- Now, navigate to the following path within the registry:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\iaSTOR registry key.
- Herein, you are supposed to confirm that all keys are assigned to the Administrators group.
Solution 2: Disabling the antivirus software
The most recent modifications or updates to your antivirus software could largely contribute to the QuickBooks error code 1406. Under such an instance, you must make sure the security software is turned off. To turn the antivirus off, follow the simple procedure below:
- Right-click the Antivirus icon on the right-bottom corner of the taskbar.
- Afterward, choose the option to Turn off/disable the antivirus protection.
- Now, restart your computer and launch the QuickBooks software to check if the error 1406 got rectified.
Solution 3: Using the Clean Install Tool or System Configuration
- To begin the process, hit the Win + R keys to show the Run window on the screen.
- Within the run window, type ‘’MSconfig’’ and hit on OK.
- You must then pick the Selective Startup and Load Startup Items under the General tab.
- After doing that, hit on Hide all Microsoft Services in the Services tab.
- Herein, make sure to Disable everything.
- Then, Hide all Microsoft Services to reveal it.
- Check the list of services afterward and make sure that the Windows Installer is opted.
- In the System Configuration Window, you are now supposed to hit on Restart.
- Finally, resort to the use of the clean install tool in order to install, uninstall, or reinstall the QuickBooks Desktop software. You can either do it manually via the Control Panel or use the QuickBooks Clean Install Tool for the process of clean installing QuickBooks.
- Once the above-mentioned procedure has been successfully followed, you are now supposed to revert back to the Normal startup mode. To do so, access the Run command by hitting the Win + R keys on your keyboard.
- After that, type ‘’MSconfig’’ and hit on OK tab.
- You must choose Normal Startup under the General tab.
- Then, tap on Ok. conclude by restarting your PC and launching QuickBooks to examine if the QuickBooks error 1406 got dealt with.
Solution 4: Employ the QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool
The QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool is an overarching feature in the QuickBooks Tool hub that diagnoses any installation-related issues in QuickBooks. In order to use the tool, the necessary prerequisite is that you first download the Tool Hub. Follow the elaborate and easy procedure given below to use the tool to fix such error.
- This troubleshooting solution initially requires you to download the QuickBooks tool hub first from the Intuit website.
- Make sure to Save the file now.
- Now, double tap on the downloaded file to Install the tool hub on your PC.
- Now, head to the Installation issues tab and opt for the QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool tab.
- The tool will take a while to finish scanning for any issues.
- When the process finishes, restart your computer and launch QuickBooks to see whether such issue has been fixed.
Solution 5: Equip your system with the latest Windows Updates
At times, using an old version of your Operating system can be a major deterrence in the way of seamless QuickBooks functioning. Accordingly, various technical errors may show up as a result, the QuickBooks Error 1406 being one of them. You must check to see if your system has been updated. Follow the instructions below to perform the Windows updates:
- To start off, navigate to the Windows Update window by typing ‘’Update’’ in the Start menu box.
- Now, double tap on the Windows update icon to launch the Windows update window.
- Herein, opt for the Check for updates option.
- Choose all the relevant and necessary updates and download them.
- Subsequently, restart your PC and allow these updates to install on your PC.
- Once the startup screen shows up, launch QuickBooks and check if the error got sorted out.
Solution 6: Opting for restoring your system
Restoring your system to the most recent settings can fix this error shortly. To realize the procedure, implement the steps below:
- First of all, opt for Programs within the Start menu.
- Thereafter, move to the System Tools.
- You are now supposed to choose System Restore.
- Another alternative to access the System Restore window is to Search for ‘’Restore’’ in the Start menu and then double tap on the System restore icon.
- Having accessed the system restore window, hit on the Next button.
- Then, you are required to choose the most recent system restore point, followed by hitting on Next tab.
- On the confirmation tab, again hit on Next.
- The System Restore process will start. The procedure may take a considerable time.
- Your system will automatically restart during the process.
- Finally, re-run QuickBooks Desktop and perform your accounting tasks to check if the error 1406 got fixed.
Solution 7: Allow necessary permissions for the ”data.dat” file
Allowing Full control of the data.dat file can fix the QuickBooks error 1406. This solution is applicable for those users who have Microsoft Office set up on their computers. Follow the steps below:
- Initially, access Windows Explorer by hitting on Win + E keyboard keys.
- Now, head to the Organize tab.
- Afterward, proceed to the Folder and Search options.
- Tap on the View tab.
- You now need to opt for the Show hidden file and folder option.
- Make sure to place a checkmark beside hide protected O/S File, followed by hitting on Ok.
- Thereafter, you need to navigate to ‘’C:/users/all/users/Microsoft/Office/data.’’
- Herein, right-click on the opa12.dat file for Office 2007 and data.dat for Office 2003.
- Now, you are supposed to choose the Properties option after right-clicking the file.
- Hit on the Security tab.
- Head to the Advanced option.
- Now, opt for the Permissions tab, followed by heading to Permission entries.
- Choose the list and hit on the Edit option.
- Herein, make sure to choose the Full control box, followed by hitting on Ok.
Need assistance? Reach out to our Support team
We wind up this article with a firm hope that the solutions encased in this blog provided you with considerable help to fix error 1406 in your QuickBooks desktop software.
If the deterrence by this error still keeps annoying you, then, in that case, we encourage you to reach out to our QuickBooks error support team Team through the helpline i.e., 1-800-761-1787. Our team is accessible 24/7 and is always available.
More helpful articles: