Learn how you can fix QuickBooks Overflow Error in few simple steps
Business owners around the globe use QuickBooks accounting software. It lets them manage their business without much knowledge of bookkeeping and accounting. But sometimes, specific bugs and errors may show up and trouble the users. One of the issues that QB users often complain about is QuickBooks Overflow error. This annoying error often appears while opening chart of accounts or when your company balance sheet displays overflow error instead of the amount.
QuickBooks Overflow error often causes unwanted laps and hinders the smooth working process. In order to get rid of this technical snag, the user will have to analyze the error properly and carry out the required solutions. In order to simplify the process for you, we have come up with this article where we will tell you the right solution that you can carry out in order to get rid of the overflow error in QuickBooks.
Moreover, if you have any sort of query, you can simply get in touch with our accounting professionals. All you have to do is to start a conversation by way of our helpline number i.e. 1-800-761-1787 and our 24/7 QuickBooks support team will be there to assist you.
You may also like: What types of files and extensions QuickBooks uses?
Instances when QuickBooks Overflow Error shows up
Below are some of the cases when our customers have reported the QuickBooks Overflow Error:
- When a user runs Verify Data utility in QuickBooks and gets this error message popped up on the desktop. The error may read “A QuickBooks overflow error has taken place.” This describes that your account has exceeded the maximum value allowed.
- While opening Chart of Accounts, if a user receives overflow error rather than the account in one or more of the account balance sheets.
- When a user runs a report and overflow error shows in one or more amount columns up in place of a particular amount.
This is a specific type of data, where all the measurement units are combined with each other in order to exceed the limits of a specific field. The user can encounter this error while opening any report and field of any column display overflow text. Also, this error gets displayed on the screen while running the verify data utility. A message might appear on the screen stating as:
“An overflow error has occurred, one of your account has exceeded the maximum value allowed”.
The same can also be seen with the charge of account, especially when one or more of balance sheet display overflow in the place of an amount.
When does overflow error appear in QuickBooks desktop?
There can be certain situations, when the QuickBooks user might end up in QuickBooks overflow error. These situations include the following:
- In case the QuickBooks user runs the QuickBooks verify data utility, he/she might stumble upon such error message stating “A QuickBooks overflow error has taken place” This indicates that one of the accounts has gone beyond the permitted maximum value
- Or if the report is running by a QuickBooks user, instead of an amount, then overflow is shown in one or more of the amount columns
- At times when the QuickBooks user opens his or her chart of accounts, instead of an amount, then overflow error is seen in one or more of the sheet accounts.
What leads to QuickBooks desktop overflow error?
There can be a few causes due to which the user might encounter this annoying error. A few of which we have listed below:
- At times the format matter for overflow errors. To understand better, let us seek an example: the format the user is copying from an Excel spreadsheet somehow mismatches the format that is accepted by the QuickBooks, in that case the use of might encounter this technical snag.
- Or if you converted one large quantity on a group item to another large quantity, then it is most probable to encounter this error. It will appear next to the group’s component items.
- In case inventory item with a value is larger than the number of the items, then in that case the user can stumble upon QuickBooks desktop overflow error.
- Data corrupted transaction data in the company file can also be one of the common reasons
- Another factor causing the error can be the company account balance and other fields greater than $9,999,999,999,999.99
Solutions to fix Overflow Error in QuickBooks Desktop
This article consists of multiple solutions used by experts to fix QuickBooks Overflow Error. You should perform the troubleshooting in the sequence provided herein. Check if the issue is fixed after every step. Move to the subsequent steps only if the step you just performed didn’t fix the issue.
In order to get rid of from QuickBooks overflow error, the user can carry out the methods listed below. All you have to ensure is that the sequence of the solution remains the same in order to avoid any kind of mess. Also, the user needs to ensure that the system requirements of QuickBooks Desktop 2021, 2020, 2019, 2018 and QB desktop 2017 are fulfilled. The user needs to check the following: the system’s regional settings, the disk space of the system, and also the RAM available.
Now moving onto the solutions, let us check out the methods that can be followed one by one:
Solution 1: Rebuild your company’s data file
To fix this error firstly you can try to rebuild your data file using following steps:
- The very initial step is to navigate to the File in QB’s menu
- Moving ahead, the user needs to select Rebuild Data option
- In case the Warning message appears on the screen and ask to backup a company file. The user will have to click on OK tab. This will display the QuickBooks not responding error message, but if the user is able to move the cursor, the method can be ignored and the user can wait for the process to complete.
- Lastly, click on OK tab and you are good to go.
Solution 2: Export your QuickBooks file to Microsoft Excel to discover the overflow
- The first step is to export lists to desktop
- Sign in to your company file as system admin
- After that go to the File menu and choose Switch to Single-user Mode
- Navigate to the File menu and choose Utilities and then click on Export
- After that choose Export IIF Files option
- From the Save in drop-down menu, now choose the location you want to save the IIF. (Ex: your Windows desktop.)
- After that enter a name in the File name field and then click on Save
- Finally hit a click on OK button
- After that, minimize the QuickBooks software
- And then right click on the export file
- Moving ahead, select open with Excel from the list that appears
- Spot the transaction having overflow value
- Now Press control and F keys simultaneously
- Followed by, typing the word overflow
- Hit the find next option
- And minimize the QuickBooks again
- The last step is to rectify the field data in account, name or item having overflow
- Now check if the error persists
Solution 3: A Group Item perhaps is overflowing
- Set quantity for the Group Item as zero.
- Tab out of the field.
- Enter the correct Group Item quantity again.
Solution 4: The balance or another field of an account is too large
Fixing this cause may require you to perform multiple troubleshooting:
Step 1: Use troubleshooting for basic data damage
- Repair your company file with the Rebuild Data Tool.
- Repair your company file through QuickBooks Data File.
- Repair your QuickBooks file manually to fix your data damage.
The first two processes may take some time. Keep patience and let the tools do their work. If the repair tools find no error, go on and use your file. If not, perform the troubleshooting manually. This however may require you to have good compute knowledge. In case you are not aware of the process of repairing QuickBooks manually, we suggest you contact a professional.
Step 2: Create a portable file for your company and restore the same to a new file
Login to QuickBooks as an admin > go to file menu > select Create Copy > Portable company file > Next > enter a name > Save it to desktop or any location you want > select Save and OK button.
Step 3: Check your Chart of Accounts
- Go to the Lists menu and tap on Chart of Accounts.
- Locate the account with a balance of 10,000,000,000,000 or more.
- Reduce the account balance so that it doesn’t reach 10,000,000,000,000.
Step 4: Look into your Memorized Reports
- In case the overflow seems to appear on a memorized report, you should run the report from the Reports Menu.
- If you don’t find overflow in the new report, remove and recreate the Memorized Report.
- If the new report consists of overflow, proceed to the next steps.
Step 5: Search all fields of all lists that display an amount or total. You may also have to include the inactive items as you go through your lists
- Go to the Lists and click Add/Edit multiple List Entries.
- Click Customize Columns and select any field that has an amount (for Credit Limit, expenses, bills, etc).
- Look for Overflow then if required edit, change, or delete that amount.
- Check all lists.
- In updated versions of QuickBooks under Edit, search for “overflow” and for list elements first followed by transactions.
- Continue running verify after completing the editing part of the amounts in the company file until the message stops appearing on the screen.
You may also read: How to Fix Screen/Display Issues in QuickBooks Desktop?
Solution 5: If just one item is overflowing
At times in QuickBooks account showing only one item is overflowing, mostly the overflowing item is newly added. The exception to that is the already existing item in the list also showing such error.
- If the overflow is with a new item, delete it from the list of items and recreate it.
- Now, ordered the item in case it is not a new item and correct the overflow causing transaction.
- Audit the item in the list and make amendments in the transaction causing an overflow, for example: A Bill with an amount of one million dollars and an amount of 1 in place of 1 million will change the average cost from one USD to 1 million USD.
- If you are unable to find such a transaction, put in an Adjust Quantity/Value on Hand document for adjusting the average cost.
Solution 6: The damage transactions are leading to QuickBooks
- In such a situation, the user needs to run various report until overflow is seen.
- And then move to the transaction level by the way of QuickZoom on overflow.
- The last step is to fix the transactions.
- Firstly, Run the Rebuild and Verify Data utilities on your system
- Identify damaged transactions based on the QBWin.log.
- Now apply the appropriate fix on the transactions.
See Also: What is QuickBooks auto data recovery?
You can perform the troubleshooting steps that are mentioned above to fix the Overflow error in QuickBooks desktop and resume your work.
However, In case the error still persists or you are not comfortable performing any of the steps mentioned in the post, please call our 24×7 QuickBooks enterprise support team. All you have to do is to call us on our dedicated support line at 1-800-761-1787, and let our experts to handle this issue for you.
People also searched for: