Learn how you can fix QuickBooks Overflow Error in 6 simple steps
QuickBooks is one of the finest accounting software till date, but at the same time it can’t be denied that there are certain errors to which the software is prone to. One of the errors in the list is overflow in QuickBooks desktop. This is not a commonly seen error, but at times it can be very annoying. This error takes place when the value of one of the accounts exceeds. It can also be seen while opening the chart of accounts or also at the time when the balance sheet shows the overflow error in place of the amount.
QuickBooks Overflow error often causes unwanted laps and hinders the smooth working process. In order to get rid of this technical snag, you will have to analyze the error properly and carry out the required solutions. In order to simplify the process for you, we have come up with this article where we will tell you the right solution that you can carry out in order to get rid of the overflow error in QuickBooks. Moreover, if you have any sort of query, you can simply get in touch with our accounting professionals. All you have to do is to start a conversation via our helpline i.e., 1 (800) 761-1787 and our 24/7 QuickBooks support team will be there to assist you.
You might like: Quick Steps to Fix QuickBooks Error 15222
Instances When QuickBooks Overflow Error Shows up
Below are some of the cases when our customers have reported the QuickBooks Overflow Error:
- When you run Verify Data utility in QuickBooks and gets this error message popped up on the desktop. The error may read “A QuickBooks overflow error has taken place.” This describes that your account has exceeded the maximum value allowed.
- While opening Chart of Accounts, if a user receives overflow error rather than the account in one or more of the account balance sheets.
- When a user runs a report and overflow error shows in one or more amount columns up in place of a particular amount.
This is a specific type of data, where all the measurement units are combined with each other in order to exceed the limits of a specific field. You can encounter this error while opening any report and field of any column display overflow text. Also, this error gets displayed on the screen while running the verify data utility.
A error message might appear on the screen stating as:
|Problem:||An overflow error has occurred, one of your account has exceeded the maximum value allowed.|
The same can also be seen with the Chart of Accounts, especially when one or more of balance sheet display overflow in the place of an amount. Also, one or more amount columns will show OVERFLOW when you run a report instead of an amount.
When Does Overflow Error Appears in QuickBooks Desktop?
There can be certain situations, when the QuickBooks user might end up in QuickBooks overflow error. These situations include the following:
- In case you runs the QuickBooks verify data utility, you might stumble upon this error message stating “A QuickBooks overflow error has taken place” This indicates that one of the accounts has gone beyond the permitted maximum value.
- If the report is running by you, instead of an amount, then overflow is shown in one or more of the amount columns.
- At times when you open chart of accounts, instead of an amount, then overflow error is seen in one or more of the sheet accounts.
What Leads to QuickBooks Desktop Overflow Error?
There can be a few causes due to which you might encounter this annoying error. A few of which we have listed below:
- The format that you copied an Excel sheet didn’t match a format accepted by QuickBooks accounting software. To understand better, let us seek an example: the format you are copying from an Excel spreadsheet somehow mismatches the format that is accepted by the QuickBooks, in that case you might encounter this technical snag.
- If a large quantity on a Group Item is inappropriately changed to another huge quantity, overflow error may appear just next to the Group’s component items.
- Damaged transactions are also one of the most common reasons of this error in your company data file.
- In case inventory item with a value is larger than the number of the items, then in that case you can stumble upon QuickBooks desktop overflow error.
- In your company file, if an account balance or any other field has a value that exceeds $9,999,999,999,999.99.
- If there is an Inventory item with a too large value for the number of items, for example, a quantity of 1 and a value of $20,00,000.
Solutions to Resolve Overflow Error in QuickBooks Desktop
This article consists of multiple solutions used by experts to fix QuickBooks Overflow Error. You should perform the troubleshooting in the sequence provided herein. Check if the issue is fixed after every step. Move to the subsequent steps only if the step you just performed didn’t fix the issue.
Important: You should also ensure that the system requirements of QuickBooks are met and check the system’s regional settings, the disk space of the system, and also the RAM available.
Solution 1: Rebuild your company’s data file
To fix this problem firstly you can try to rebuild your data file using following steps:
- The initial step is go to the File menu in QuickBooks.
- Moving ahead, choose Rebuild Data option.
- In case the Warning message appears on the screen and ask to Backup a company file. You will have to click on OK tab. This will display the QuickBooks not responding error message, but if you are able to move the cursor, the method can be ignored and you can wait for the process to complete.
- Now wait for the backup process to complete.
- Lastly click OK when you receive the message – Rebuild is complete.
Solution 2: Export your QuickBooks file to Microsoft Excel to discover the overflow
Step 1: The first step is to Export lists to desktop
- Sign in to your company file as System admin.
- Head to the File menu and choose Switch to Single-user Mode.
- Navigate to the File menu and choose Utilities and then click on Export.
- Now choose Export IIF Files option.
- From the Save in drop-down menu, now choose the location you want to save the IIF. (Ex: your Windows desktop.)
- Enter a name in the File name field and then click on Save.
- Finally hit a click on OK button.
Step 2: Minimize the QuickBooks software.
Step 3: After that right click on the Export file.
Step 4: Moving ahead, select Open with Excel from the list that appears.
Step 5: Spot the transaction having overflow value.
- Press Control and F keys simultaneously.
- Followed by, typing the word *overflow*.
- Hit the Find next option.
Step 6: Now minimize the QuickBooks again.
Step 7: Lastly, go back to QuickBooks and amend the data for the Account, Name, Item or any other field that contains it.
Step 8: Now check if the error persists.
Solution 3: A Group Item perhaps is overflowing
- You need to set quantity for the Group Item as Zero.
- Tab out of the Field.
- Enter the Correct Group Item quantity again.
Solution 4: The balance or another field of an account is too large
Fixing this cause may require you to perform multiple troubleshooting:
Step 1: Use troubleshooting for basic data damage
- Fix your company file with the Rebuild Data Tool.
- Repair your company file through QuickBooks Data File.
- Repair your QuickBooks file manually to fix your data damage.
The first two processes may take some time. Keep patience and let the tools do their work. If the repair tool find no error, go on and use your file. If not, perform the troubleshooting manually. However you may require to have good compute knowledge. In case you are not aware of the process of repairing QuickBooks manually, we suggest you contact a professional.
Step 2: Create a portable file and restore the created file to a new working file
Login to QuickBooks as an Admin > go to File menu > select Create Copy > Portable company file > Next > Enter a name > Save it to desktop or any location you want > select Save and OK button.
Step 3: Check your Chart of Accounts
- Go to the Lists menu and tap on Chart of Accounts.
- And then, from the Lists menu and the balance of 10, 000, 000, 000, 000 or even more, look for the account
- Next step is to ensure to reduce the balance of account and ensure that it doesn’t reach the limit.
- After that, move to the next step.
Step 4: Look into your Memorized Reports
- To do this, navigate to the Reports menu and then run the report, especially if you see an overflow on the Memorized report.
- After that, if the new report doesn’t reflect overflow, then you need to Delete and recreate the memorized report.
- If the new report consists of overflow, proceed to the next steps.
Step 5: Search all fields of all lists that display an amount or total. You may also have to include the inactive items as you go through your lists
- Initially, go to the Lists and click Add/Edit multiple List Entries.
- After that hit a click on Customize Columns and select any field that has an amount (for Credit Limit, expenses, bills, etc.).
- Look for Overflow then if required edit, change, or delete that amount.
- After that, check All the list.
- In updated versions of QuickBooks under Edit, search for “Overflow” and for list elements first followed by transactions.
- Continue running verify after completing the editing part of the amounts in the company file until the message stops appearing on the screen.
You may also read: How to resolve QuickBooks Error Code 6000 (and others)?
Solution 5: If just one item is overflowing
At times in QuickBooks account showing only one item is overflowing, mostly the overflowing item is newly added. The exception to that is the already existing item in the list also showing this error.
- If the overflow is with a new item, delete it from the list of items and recreate it.
- Now, ordered the item in case it is not a new item and correct the overflow causing transaction.
- Audit the item in the list and make amendments in the transaction causing an overflow, for example: A Bill with an amount of one million dollars and an amount of 1 in place of 1 million will change the average cost from one USD to 1 million USD.
- If you are unable to find such a transaction, put in an Adjust Quantity/Value on Hand document for adjusting the average cost.
Solution 6: The damage transactions are leading to QuickBooks
- If the overflow issue is triggered by transactions, you would easily be able to find it.
- Run various QuickBooks reports, including Financial Statements, Custom Transaction Detail, Sales by Customer, Sales by Item, etc. until you see overflow.
- Move to the Transaction level by the way of QuickZoom on overflow.
- The last step is to Fix the transactions.
- Firstly Run the Rebuild and Verify Data utilities on your system.
- Identify damaged transactions based on the QBWin.log
- Now Apply the appropriate fix on the transactions.
You can perform the troubleshooting steps that are mentioned above to fix the Overflow error in QuickBooks desktop and resume your work. In case the error still persists or you are not comfortable performing any of the steps mentioned in the post, please call our 24×7 QuickBooks enterprise support team via our support line i.e., 1-800-761-1787. Our experts will handle this issue for you.
People also searched for: