Get the best steps to troubleshoot the QuickBooks desktop overflow error
QuickBooks is one of the finest accounting software till date, but at the same time it can’t be denied that there are certain errors to which the software is prone to. One of the errors in the list is overflow in QuickBooks desktop. This is not a commonly seen error, but at times it can be very annoying. This error takes place when the value of one of the accounts exceeds. It can also be seen while opening the chart of accounts or also at the time when the balance sheet shows the overflow error in place of the amount.
QuickBooks Overflow error often causes unwanted laps and hinders the smooth working process. In order to get rid of this technical snag, the user will have to analyze the error properly and carry out the required solutions. In order to simplify the process for you, we have come up with this article where we will tell you the right solution that you can carry out in order to get rid of the overflow error in QuickBooks.
Moreover, if you have any sort of query, you can simply get in touch with our experts and accounting professionals. All you have to do is to start a conversation by way of our customer support line i.e. 1-800-761-1787 and our 24/7 QuickBooks support team will be there to assist you.
You may also like: What types of files and extensions QuickBooks uses?
Brief into overflow error in QuickBooks desktop
This is a specific type of data, where all the measurement units are combined with each other in order to exceed the limits of a specific field. Below listed are a few of the general cases, where the user might encounter this error:
The user can encounter this error while opening any report and field of any column display overflow text. Also, this error gets displayed on the screen while running the verify data utility. A message might appear on the screen stating:
“An overflow error has occurred, one of your account has exceeded the maximum value allowed”.
The same can also be seen with the charge of account, especially when one or more of balance sheet display overflow in the place of an amount.
When does overflow error appear in QuickBooks desktop?
There can be certain situations, when the QuickBooks user might end up in QuickBooks overflow error. These situations include the following:
- In case the QuickBooks user runs the QuickBooks verify data utility, he/she might stumble upon such error message stating “A QuickBooks overflow error has taken place” This indicates that one of the accounts has gone beyond the permitted maximum value
- Or if the report is running by a QuickBooks user, instead of an amount, then overflow is shown in one or more of the amount columns
- At times when the QuickBooks user opens his or her chart of accounts, instead of an amount, then overflow error is seen in one or more of the sheet accounts
What leads to QuickBooks desktop overflow error?
There can be a few causes due to which the user might encounter this annoying error. A few of which we have listed below:
- At times the format matter for overflow errors. To understand better, let us seek an example: the format the user is copying from an Excel spreadsheet somehow mismatches the format that is accepted by the QuickBooks, in that case the use of might encounter this technical snag.
- Or if you converted one large quantity on a group item to another large quantity, then it is most probable to encounter this error. It will appear next to the group’s component items.
- In case inventory item with a value is larger than the number of the items, then in that case the user can stumble upon QuickBooks desktop overflow error.
- Data corrupted transaction data in the company file can also be one of the common reasons
- Another factor causing the error can be the company account balance and other fields greater than $9,999,999,999,999.99
Solutions to fix Overflow Error in QuickBooks Desktop
In order to get rid of from QuickBooks overflow error, the user can carry out the methods listed below. All you have to ensure is that the sequence of the solution remains the same in order to avoid any kind of mess. Also, the user needs to ensure that the system requirements of QuickBooks Desktop 2021, 2020, 2019, 2018 and QB desktop 2017 are fulfilled. The user needs to check the following: the system’s regional settings, the disk space of the system, and also the RAM available.
Now moving onto the solutions, let us check out the methods that can be followed one by one:
Solution 1: Rebuilding the data file
To fix this error firstly you can try to rebuild your data file using following steps:
- The very initial step is to navigate to the File in QB’s menu
- Moving ahead, the user needs to select Rebuild Data option
- In case the Warning message appears on the screen and ask to backup a company file. The user will have to click on OK tab. This will display the QuickBooks not responding error message, but if the user is able to move the cursor, the method can be ignored and the user can wait for the process to complete.
- Lastly, click on OK tab and you are good to go.
Solution 2: Finding the overflow by exporting the file to excel
- The first step is to export lists to desktop
- Sign in to your company file as system admin
- After that go to the File menu and choose Switch to Single-user Mode
- Navigate to the File menu and choose Utilities and then click on Export
- After that choose Export IIF Files option
- From the Save in drop-down menu, now choose the location you want to save the IIF. (Ex: your Windows desktop.)
- After that enter a name in the File name field and then click on Save
- Finally hit a click on OK button
- After that, minimize the QuickBooks software
- And then right click on the export file
- Moving ahead, select open with Excel from the list that appears
- Spot the transaction having overflow value
- Now Press control and F keys simultaneously
- Followed by, typing the word overflow
- Hit the find next option
- And minimize the QuickBooks again
- The last step is to rectify the field data in account, name or item having overflow
- Now check if the error persists
Solution 3: Steps to follow in case of a group item
- Set the number of group items to zero
- After that the user is supposed to tap out of the field
- And lastly, enter the correct quantity of the group item
Solution 4: The balance or another field of an account is too large
- Troubleshoot the basic data damage
- Create a portable file and restore the created file to a new working file
- The next step is to check the chart of accounts
- For this, the user needs to first click on chart of accounts
- And then, from the lists menu and the balance of 10, 000, 000, 000, 000 or even more, look for the account
- The next step is to ensure to reduce the balance of account and ensure that it doesn’t reach the limit
- After that, move to the next step
- And also check memorized reports
- To do this, the user needs to navigate to the reports menu and then run the report, especially if you see an overflow on the memorized report
- After that, if the new report doesn’t reflect overflow, then the user needs to delete and recreate the memorized report
- In case the new report includes overflow, then move to the steps below:
- Once done with that, the user needs to look for all the fields that hold an amount or total in all the lists. Inactive items may have to be included, while the user look through the list.
- After that move to the lists and click on edit/add multiple list entries
- And then, customize columns and press on any field that holds an amount
- The next step is to check for the overflow and then press on edit, change or delete the amount
- After that, the user needs to check all the lists
- And for the newer versions of QuickBooks click on search look for overflow
- Also look for the list elements and then spot the transactions
- The last step is to run verify until the message disappears
You may also read: How to Fix Screen/Display Issues in QuickBooks Desktop?
Solution 5: One item is overflowing
At times in QuickBooks account showing only one item is overflowing, mostly the overflowing item is newly added. The exception to that is the already existing item in the list also showing such error.
- The user needs to delete the item from the item list, in case of a new item, followed by recreating it.
- Now, ordered the item in case it is not a new item and correct the overflow causing transaction.
- Audit the item and correct the transaction causing an overflow. For example: A Bill with an amount of $1,000,000 and an amount of 1 instead of 1,000,000, will change the average cost from $1.00 to $1,000,000
- In case the user is unable to find such a transaction, then it is recommended to enter an Adjust Quantity/value on hand document to adjust the average cost
Solution 6: The damage transactions are leading to QuickBooks
- In such a situation, the user needs to run various report until overflow is seen.
- And then move to the transaction level by the way of QuickZoom on overflow.
- The last step is to fix the transactions.
- Firstly, Run the Rebuild and Verify Data utilities on your system
- Identify damaged transactions based on the QBWin.log.
- Now apply the appropriate fix on the transactions.
See Also: What is QuickBooks auto data recovery?
This brings us to the end of the article, where we hope that the information, we have shared in above might be of some help in fixing the QuickBooks desktop overflow error. However, in case of any difficulty, you can get in touch with our accounting experts and industries best certified accounting professionals.
People also searched for: