Learn how to Sync the QuickBooks desktop files between two computers:
Syncing your data between devices not only provides a fillip to productivity but also enhances the flexibility of accessing the data. When it comes to syncing the QuickBooks files between two computers, the majority of the QB users are unsure about the process. In case you try to sync your data without having prior information, then you might face various issues. Thus, considering this fact, our team of certified professionals has summarized the entire information related to syncing QuickBooks files between two computers in this article. So, if you are interested in knowing the process of syncing and sharing the QuickBooks files between two computers, make sure to continue reading the post.
If the process seems too tedious, we also have an easy alternative for you. Get in touch with our technical support team and ask them to carry out the process on your behalf. Our U.S based certified accounting professionals will ensure to complete the process without any kind of a mess.
You may also like: How to Fix QuickBooks Payroll Update Error Code 15270?
Important points to note before we proceed
Before initiating the process, you need to ensure that there is a correct installation option for each system. It is also important to check if both the systems are connected to the same network. Another option available for you is to uninstall and reinstall QuickBooks on both systems and then use QuickBooks on both computers with the right options.
Upon re-installation, the configuration gets completed on both the desktops. The primary desktop will store the company file and also will allow you to sync the data to other systems on the network.
You can also leverage the benefits offered by the Data transfer utility, also known as a third-party commercial utility if it contains two separate company files that need to be merged. Having visited these facts, let us jump on to the process to sync QuickBooks files between two computers.
Steps to Sync QuickBooks Desktop Files on Two Computers
So, now that you are aware of all the above facts and information, it is the right time, to begin with, the process to sync QuickBooks files between two systems. Follow the directions below:
- Initially, Install and download the data transfer utility offered by Intuit. It needs to be installed on the primary system that hosts the company file.
- You are subsequently required to Paste the company file to the primary system from a secondary system. You can also Save the company file to disk or can also transfer it to the source computer over the network.
- Now, Launch the QuickBooks on the primary computer. For this, you need to choose the File and Open a company file from the secondary computer, and also hit on the Open company option.
- Now, in the Data transfer utility, pick the Open source company tab in the Export data from the source company option.
- Hit on Yes and permit Access even if the QuickBooks software is not running. Subsequently, search for the option to permit the application to access personal data. Afterward, hit on Continue, followed by hitting on Yes.
- Afterward, choose the Done option.
- You will have to choose the Close tab in the Currently connected to tab in the data transfer utility.
- Follow it up by checking on the File menu and also choosing the Close Company option in QuickBooks.
- Hit on the File option and then choose the Open or restore company option. Along with that, hit on the Open a company option.
- Afterward, in the disk transfer utility, choose the Open destination company from the Import data into destination company.
- Opt for Yes. Choose Always permit access even if QuickBooks is not running and also permit the application to access the Personal data. Subsequently, hit on Continue, followed by hitting on Yes, and Done options respectively.
- Proceed to the Close tab for currently connected to field in the Data transfer utility.
- Follow it up by choosing the File menu and also hitting on the Close company option.
- Opt for the Type of data and change tabs respectively from the Data transfer utility. Along with that hit on the option that showcases the information you wish to Import to the destination file.
- Finally, navigate to the Import data into destination, in the data transfer utility, and also hit on the Import data tab.
This procedure should sync the files between two computers successfully.
Steps to share the Desktop versions between two computer systems
It should be noted that the database file manager permits the software to interact with the QuickBooks desktop company file. You need to use this supported mode for setting the file, which means the recommended multi-user set is the company file stored on the host file. Below are enumerated the effective steps to turn on the host. It is pertinent to ensure that you are using a server to host the file, which will not be needed to turn on hosting for workstations. Turning on hosting is only applicable to the host systems. Now, let us visit out the steps involved to accomplish the process:
- Initially, navigate to the File menu and also choose the Utilities tab.
- Follow it up by choosing the Host multi-user access option.
- You need to hit on Yes to confirm.
And also, follow the steps laid down below:
- Navigate to the Server system, which is the computer that stores the Company file.
- In the server system, you need to move to the Start menu and Search for the database server manager.
- Now, choose the QuickBooks database server manager from the drop-down menu.
- Follow it up by hitting on the Browse option and afterward Browse for the folder where the company files are to be saved, in case the folder locations aren’t displayed in the previous step. Afterward, hit on OK tab.
- After performing the preceding step, opt for the Start Scan option. It will repair all the Firewall permissions to enable the QuickBooks software to communicate over the network.
- Close all the open windows and try to launch the QuickBooks software in the multi-user mode on your workstations.
Database server setup for synchronization
It is highly recommended to store the company file or network sharing on the primary computer. Another option is to use the QuickBooks software without storing the company file on the secondary computer. Perform the below-enumerated steps:
- Proceed to the Scan Folders tab. Afterward, Add folders, and hit on Scan to scan the primary computer for the QuickBooks company file. Click on Close once the verified company file has been found.
- Hit on the Company menu and proceed to the Set up users and password and opt for the Set up users tab within QuickBooks on the primary system.
- Hit on the Add user tab in the system display and then assign the QuickBooks username and password.
- Choose the Access options for the secondary computer and hit on the Next tab.
- Afterward, opt for the Changing or deleting transaction permissions and proceed to the Next and Finish tabs respectively.
- Now, hit on the Open or restore company and hit on the Open a company in QuickBooks on the secondary computer system.
- Search for the Location on the network where the primary company file is stored.
- Choose the file, followed by logging in with the username or password created on the primary system.
The process to sync QuickBooks files between two computers has been lucidly mentioned in this piece of writing. However, there can be a situation, wherein you might face specific issues in carrying out the process, then in such a scenario, do not hesitate in calling our QuickBooks enterprise support team at any point in time.
Ring up at our dedicated helpline number i.e. 1-800-761-1787, and discuss your query with our U.S based certified accounting professionals and experts. Our expert will be happy and obliged to assist you.