Learn the best ways to resolve Error 1321: The installer has insufficient privileges to modify the file:
Did you just receive the following error? “Error 1321: The installer has insufficient privileges to modify the file.” Well, this is a common error and usually appears when you don’t have permission to access any specific company file. Just updating the privileges and rights for access should in most cases fix this QuickBooks error code 1321.
But there may be other causes behind this error and you may need a different solution for them. We know that these errors can be frustrating but don’t worry, it’s fixable.
You may also see: How to Fix QuickBooks error 3371 status code 11118?
What is QuickBooks Install Error 1321?
QuickBooks Error 1321 generally appears when you try to install a QuickBooks company file. When this error occurs, an error message appears on your screen that reads, ‘The installer has insufficient privileges to modify the company file.’ When this error occurs you may see one of the following error messages on your desktop screen:
|Warning:||Error 1321: The installer has insufficient privileges to modify the file|
|Error:||The installer has insufficient privileges to modify the file C:\Program Files\Intuit\QuickBooks\sdkeventl.DLL|
|Error:||The installer has insufficient privileges to modify the file C:\Program Files\Intuit\QuickBooks\CfScan.DLL|
|Error:||The installer has insufficient privileges to modify the file at C:\Program Files\Intuit\QuickBooks YEAR\QBONLI32.DLL|
|Error:||The installer has insufficient privileges to modify the file |
|Error:||The installer has insufficient privileges to modify the file C:\Program Files\Intuit\QuickBooks Point of Sale X.0\dataimporter.exe|
Note: When you click on Retry button, you may see another error message on your screen and your software installation or software update will be failed.
QuickBooks error code 1321 is seen, when the installer unable to write any certain files due to lack of permissions or other permission-related issue. Also, the path that might appear in the error message might vary depending upon the installation.
What can lead to QuickBooks Error code 1321?
The following are some of the most common reasons behind the occurrence of Error code 1321:
- The File Copying process is slower than the file update process.
- Antivirus or Firewall is blocking your QuickBooks.
- Windows permission for the folder containing the file has been restricted.
- The file is either damaged or in use.
- Your computer wasn’t shut down properly after the last use.
- The file update procedure is faster than the file copy procedure.
Signs and symptoms of QuickBooks error 1321
The following pointers can help you in identifying the QuickBooks install error 1321. Let us explore those signs one by one:
- You might receive a message like “The installer has insufficient privileges to modify the file C:\Program Files\ Intuit\ QuickBooks\ CfScan.DLL” OR “The installer has insufficient privileges to modify the file at C:\Program Files\ Intuit\QuickBooks YEAR\QBONLI32.DLL“. This can be one major point to identify the error.
- When the QuickBooks file gets damaged, it might indicate to this error.
- The speed of the software lowers down or the software responds sluggishly.
- The Windows restrictions on the folder can be another sign.
Methods To Troubleshoot QuickBooks Error Code 1321
Perform the below-given solutions in the order to resolve the QuickBooks install error 1321:
Solution 1: Download QuickBooks tools hub and Run QBinstall Diagnostic Tool on the system
QuickBooks Tool Hub can help you to resolve common QB errors that come while using the software.
- Start off with closing QuickBooks and all other running apps in the background.
- Download the QuickBooks Tool Hub file and save it on your desktop.
- After the tool is downloaded successfully, open it.
- Go through the on-screen instructions to install and agree to the terms and conditions.
- Once the tool successfully installed on your system, it will create an icon on your desktop menu. Double-click on the icon to open this tool.
Note: In case you are unable to find the icon on your system, then search in Windows for QuickBooks Tool Hub and choose the program.
- Now in the tool hub, you need to choose the Installation Issues tab.
- Choose QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool here. (Note: The whole process may take up to 20 minutes.)
- Once the tool has successfully done the scan, just reboot your system once.
Solution 2: Temporarily Turn off the Antivirus and reinstall or update it
Another method to fix the QuickBooks error code 1321 is to turn off the antivirus and reinstall or update it. The steps to be followed over here are as follows:
- Temporarily disable your Antivirus or other security software that are installed on your system.
- Install your QuickBooks desktop or update it to the latest release.
- Turn on again Antivirus or security software now.
Note: Ensure that disabling software while you are connected to the internet using a persistent connection like DSL or cable is NOT recommended. You should disconnect the system from the internet before disabling the antivirus software. Once you are done with the steps, then re-enable the antivirus software before re-connecting to the internet.
Read Also: What is QuickBooks error code -6000?
Solution 3: Make a new Windows admin user account
Another method that once try to resolve the issue can be to make a new Windows admin user account. The steps to be followed are as follows:
- At first, hit a click on Start > Control panel > Select User/Accounts.
- After that go for Create a New user and name the account.
- Now set it as an Administrator.
- Also, create an account and log out from the current account.
- Lastly, log in to the new account.
Solution 4: Change/Edit the Windows permission on the folder
For Windows 7, 8, and 10: (32-bit and 64-bit version)
For 32-bit version (Windows 7, 8, and 10):
- Firstly, Press Windows + R keys together to open the Run box on your computer.
- Enter the path to the folder containing QB program files in the open field.
- Lastly, press Enter key.
- C:\Program Files\Intuit\Enterprise Solutions 21.0
- C:\Program Files\Intuit\Enterprise Solutions 20.0
- C:\Program Files\Intuit\Enterprise Solutions 19.0
- C:\Program Files\Intuit\Enterprise Solutions 18.0
- C:\Program Files\Intuit\Enterprise Solutions 17.0
Pro and Premier:
- C:\Program Files\Intuit\QuickBooks 2021
- C:\Program Files\Intuit\QuickBooks 2020
- C:\Program Files\Intuit\QuickBooks 2019
- C:\Program Files\Intuit\QuickBooks 2018
- C:\Program Files\Intuit\QuickBooks 2017
Point of Sale System
- C:\Program Files\Intuit\QuickBooks Point of Sale 12.0
- C:\Program Files\Intuit\QuickBooks Point of Sale 11.0
For 64-bit version (Windows 7, 8, and 10):
Desktop Enterprise Solutions:
- C:\Program Files (x86)\Intuit\Enterprise Solutions 21.0
- C:\Program Files (x86)\Intuit\Enterprise Solutions 20.0
- C:\Program Files (x86)\Intuit\Enterprise Solutions 19.0
- C:\Program Files (x86)\Intuit\Enterprise Solutions 18.0
- C:\Program Files (x86)\Intuit\Enterprise Solutions 17.0
Pro and Premier:
- C:\Program Files (x86)\Intuit\QuickBooks 2021
- C:\Program Files (x86)\Intuit\QuickBooks 2020
- C:\Program Files (x86)\Intuit\QuickBooks 2019
- C:\Program Files (x86)\Intuit\QuickBooks 2018
- C:\Program Files (x86)\Intuit\QuickBooks 2017
Point of Sale:
- C:\Program Files (x86)\Intuit\QuickBooks Point of Sale 12.0
- C:\Program Files (x86)\Intuit\QuickBooks Point of Sale 11.0
- In a new window, select the View option then click on Customize the folder.
- Go to Security Tab, in the Properties window, and hit a click on Administrations.
- Choose Allow which is right next to Full Control.
- Again go to the Security tab and choose the System user.
- Repeat the Step Number 5.
- Click on OK button and Close the Properties window.
- Finally, perform a QuickBooks desktop clean Installation.
Related article: How to Fix QuickBooks error code 1311?
Solution 5: Retrying the update
You should try attempting to update QuickBooks once again. However, if the error keeps annoying, then try disabling the antivirus and then again try the update process.
- When users encounter the error code, they are supposed to click on the Retry tab and finish the update process.
- If the issue persists, users need to hit the ignore/cancel icon and then click on the Options tab.
- Followed by disabling or turning off the antivirus on a temporary basis.
- Lastly, try to install the QuickBooks desktop again in a proper manner.
Solution 6: Updating insufficient user privileges
Users might see an information dialog box with error codes and messages generated during the QuickBooks installation process. They can check the below messages. At the time of the installation process, the error might appear. Like the AcrobatConnect.cfg shoots the error message on the screen.
- QB Error 1321. The Installer has insufficient privileges to modify the file.C:\Windows\system32\Macromed\Flash\FlashPlayerTrust\AcrobatConnect.cfg. Action ended 11:21:48: InstallValidate.
- You need to put the privileges for the folder given in the error message, for eg: \Windows\system32\Macromed\Flash\FlashPlayerTrust\AcrobatConnect.cfg.
For Windows XP Professionals:
When started, you are supposed to view the concealed files/folders placed in the operating system which easily disables the file-sharing. You need to view the appearing hidden files and folders, simple file sharing on the Microsoft support website.
- At first, hit a click on Windows + E keys and then open Windows explorer.
- Navigate to the error message parent folder.
- Next, right-click the parent folder.
- From the drop-down menu, select the properties tab and go for Security tab.
- And finally, opt for the administrators for the Group or user names.
On Windows XP
If you are a Windows XP user, then carry out the steps below:
- The Windows XP user needs to shut down the system and turn it on after a couple of seconds.
- When the Windows logo shows up, click on the F8 key.
- Visit the safe mode with networking icon and later hit enter.
- In Windows XP Professional, users need to follow the prompted instructions to update the user privileges and later start the system and install QuickBooks.
- Select the System icon from the group or user names tab. Choose Full control to allow system permission.
- Pick Advanced icon.
- Hit Replace permission entries on all child objects with entries here that apply to child objects.
- Shut down the properties window and click OK tab. And you are good to go.
We have tried to include all the important information related to QuickBooks Error Code 1321 in this article to help you resolve this error. In case the issue persists even after you have performed all the troubleshooting steps given above, we recommend you to contact our 24/7 QuickBooks enterprise support team using our dedicated tech support line i.e., 1-800-761-1787. Our experts have access to state-of-the-art tools and technology and we can quickly help you fix this issue.
You might also read: