Learn how you can fix QuickBooks Error Code 1402 and prevent it from occurring again:
QuickBooks makes managing business abundantly easy with its useful features. But sometimes, despite being innovative software, it receives some errors. Among the most frequent errors that users face is QuickBooks Error code 1402. Typically, this error is triggered due to an incomplete or inappropriate installation of the software. The error, when appears, shows a message that reads “couldn’t open key.”
If you have received this error, read on to learn its causes and solutions. In today’s post, we are going to have an in-depth discussion of QuickBooks error code 1402 and various facts associated with it. Or we are available round the clock to provide the best possible support services. Just make a call to our QuickBooks error support executives at our toll-free support number i.e. 1-800-761-1787, and our experts will answer all your queries instantly. Feel free to contact us anytime, we will be happy to help you.
You may also read: How to fix QuickBooks unrecoverable error?
What is QuickBooks error code 1402?
Before you dig in deep and explore other aspects of QuickBooks error code 1402, it is important to understand the basics of the error. The error code 1402 is often seen when the user is working on QuickBooks. It arises when the user operates the QuickBooks payroll accounting software in Windows or Apple Mac OS X operating system. In case of any corruption in the software, this error is probable to happen. In a situation when the software needs some component to run but it is not available, due to damaged windows files, this error might appear. It can also be seen while installing or opening the QuickBooks desktop software. This error code comes up with an error message stating as “Couldn’t open key“. There can be a majority of factors causing this issue, which we will be discussing later in this post.
What causes QuickBooks error code 1402?
One of more of the following causes may trigger QuickBooks Error code 1402:
- QuickBooks Installation on your computer is corrupted
- The CD used for installation was damaged
- Inappropriate or partial QB installation
- Microsoft Windows is not updated.
QuickBooks Error Code 1402 – Steps for Prevention
Once you have fixed QuickBooks Error code 1402, you can also take some steps to ensure that this installation error doesn’t occur again.
- You should keep creating backups of your data on a regular basis
- Let software installations take their time and do not interrupt the process
- Frequently delete the junk files.
- Keep installing new updates available for QuickBooks desktop.
Read Also: How to Fix QuickBooks Error code 80029c4a?
Fixation of Error Code 1402 when installing QuickBooks Desktop
QuickBooks Install Error 1402 is an installation error which can be fixed by performing the following troubleshooting steps:
Solution 1: Install and run QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool with QuickBooks tool hub
You can use QuickBooks tool hub program to fix many of the QB issues, including the QuickBooks Error code 1402.
- First of all, the user is supposed to close QuickBooks
- And then, it is recommended to download the most recent version of QuickBooks tool hub. The user is recommended to save the file somewhere it can be accessed easily. In case you have already installed tool hub earlier, then you can look for the version you have. And select the home tab. The version will be displayed on the bottom right
- After that, the user is required to open the file you downloaded
- Carry out the onscreen steps to install and agree to the terms and conditions
- Double click the icon and open tool hub
- Open the tool hub and select installation issues
- And choose QuickBooks install diagnostic tool and let it fix the issue.
- Download QuickBooks Install diagnostic tool from the official website of Intuit.
- Close all the running programs
- Run the QuickBooks Install diagnostic tool. The duration of the process may vary depending on your computer speed in internet connection.
- Restart your computer after the process is complete.
Solution 2: Update MS Windows and install available updates
The installation error may be fixed by updating QuickBooks and installing the missing updates:
- Click on the Start button on the keyboard on the Windows icon at the bottom left-hand corner of your screen
- Search and find Check for Updates
- Click on Check for Updates and find available updates.
- Install all pending updates
- Restart the computer for changes to make different.
Solution 3: Reinstall QuickBooks desktop
QuickBooks install error 1402 may occur due to a wide range of options and may impact your productivity.
- Press the Start button and search Control Panel
- Open Control Panel and click on Programs and Features option and the go to Add or Remove Programs
- Find QuickBooks, select it and hit Uninstall option.
- Restart your computer and Reinstall QuickBooks desktop.
Solution 4: Uninstalling and Reinstalling Adobe Flash Player
In case the error appeared while installing the adobe flash player, make sure to carry out the steps below:
- First of all, download install diagnostic tool and then run it
- And then, click on the start menu
- Also, type in control panel in the search bar
- Followed by clicking and opening control panel
- The next step is to navigate to the uninstall a program option
- And then look for the Adobe flash player ActiveX in the list of programs
- Once done with that, select the uninstall option
- Follow the onscreen instructions and let the uninstall process complete
- The last step is to download the adobe flash player and then reinstall it
Solution 5: Add QuickBooks to Bitdefender exclusion list
It should be noted that this method is not mandatory for all, it can be implemented by the ones who are using Bitdefender. In case the QuickBooks user is using Bitdefender, then he/she can’t resolve the issue by simply disabling it. It is required for the user to add the QuickBooks to the exclusion list of the Bitdefender.
- For 32-bit Windows OS, the user needs to put C:\Program Files\ Common files in the exclusion list
- Whereas for 64-bit Windows OS, the users are required to put C:\Program Files\ Intuit (C:\Program files (x86)\Intuit) in the exclusion list
Solution 6: Using Selective startup mode
The user can make use of the selective startup for getting rid of QuickBooks error code 1402. This error might also appear due to third party apps blocking the installation. For this, the user can simply opt for the selective startup mode and try fixing the error. The steps to be followed in this case are:
- Preparing the data
- Under this step, the user is required to create a backup of the company file
- And then, keep a copy of QuickBooks desktop product and license information
- Starting the system in selective startup mode
- In this case, the user needs to press Windows + R to open the run command
- And also, type in msconfig and also choose OK button
- The next step is to select selective startup in the general tab. And also opt or load system services
- Once done with that, the user needs to move to the services tab and also choose hide all Microsoft services
- And then, choose disable all tab
- Followed by unchecking the hide all Microsoft services checkbox
- Moving ahead, ensure that the windows installer checkbox is selected from the list of services. If not, then choose the checkbox
- Now, choose ok tab
- The last step is to select restart on the system configuration window
- Uninstall or install QuickBooks desktop
- The user lastly needs to switch back to Normal startup mode
- Here, the user needs to press Windows + R to open the run command
- And also, type msconfig and choose ok
- Now, in the general tab, the user should choose normal startup
- And choose ok
- The last sub step is to select restart on the system configuration window
You may also see: Steps to Convert Quicken data to QuickBooks Desktop
That’s all you need to identify, fix and prevent QuickBooks Error Code 1402. We expect that after you have read the above article thoroughly, you will be able to shun off the error easily, but if in case you have any questions in regard to the above-mentioned solutions, or if you are stuck somewhere, you can contact our 24×7 QuickBooks install support team at 1-800-761-1787.
Our support team is there round the clock to cater the best possible support services to users across the globe. Here, you will get some of the best and the most relevant answers to all your queries. Thus, do not hesitate in reaching out to us anytime!
People also searched for: